Anyone own a cycling resistance trainer?

Edited Date/Time 12/10/2017 1:51am
Never owned or used one so not sure what minimum features I should be looking for.
|
12/8/2017 12:54pm
Not sure what your budget is, but I highly recommend a smart trainer that can be paired with Zwift. A lot of pros use this as it is interactive and has great training programs. The resistance will change as you climb and descend and is much more challenging than a regular cycling workout. Wahoo is a popular brand of smart trainer and the kickr snap is $600 retail but you can find them for $250-400 used.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-snap-bike-trai…

http://zwift.com/
12/8/2017 1:08pm
I am against cycling trainers personally. All I hear is they give you PEDs and stuff.
Sidecar
12/8/2017 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2017 1:13pm
I have a basic one with my road bike set up on it over the winter, I stick my I pad on the shelf in front of me fire up YouTube and watch moto vids, helmet cams, listen to music, what ever it does get boring after 30 mins or so...
tek14
12/8/2017 2:18pm
Did ride cheap trainer and watched SX races from TV. That wasnt interresting enough and did pass cycling more and more.
Then I went and bought Elite Cycling trainer that controls resistance. It came with My E-training programs and some online riding videos I really havent try because I got Zwift-cycling program that is really popular. There are good training programs included, daily riders with all levels or just ride your own program. You can just choose your route flat or hilly and trainer will put resistance up when doing hills and so on. Zwift is like animated view different locations.
Trainer cost around 400 and zwift 10/month.
I would get smart trainer that can control power with any apps or program you like to use. IF you get anything less soon you want better or quit.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/8/2017 3:46pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
I am against cycling trainers personally. All I hear is they give you PEDs and stuff.
I don't get Canadian humor.
erik_94COBRA
12/8/2017 3:55pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I don't get Canadian humor.
Eh?
12/8/2017 3:56pm
Sidecar wrote:
I have a basic one with my road bike set up on it over the winter, I stick my I pad on the shelf in front...
I have a basic one with my road bike set up on it over the winter, I stick my I pad on the shelf in front of me fire up YouTube and watch moto vids, helmet cams, listen to music, what ever it does get boring after 30 mins or so...
Similar situation here.

I have a Chrono Elite Fluid trainer (bicycle gear operated resistance). I set it up in the garage and ride 1-2.5 hours at a time, a few times per week. Set up the ipad or laptop with MX/SX/youtube old races, or MotoGP and just ride, varying the intensity to maintain a good workout. If you find yourself getting bored, just change the content. I will also run enclosed headphones at night so I don't disturb anyone in the house, and it helps with immersion.

The way I look at it is: I could be sitting on the couch eating and watching, or I could be turning over the pedals and doing some training while I watch. And I will tell you, it definitely makes the races more intense hahaha! Also, I have always been pretty fit, but I feel this past 18 months my on-track stamina has gone to the next level. More so than with road cycling, because when I am on the trainer, I never stop pedaling.
OTG42
12/8/2017 4:40pm
I use a Kurt Kinetic trainer, specifically the Rock n Roll trainer. The RnR trainer isn't necessary, but it is nice to be able to stand up and rock your bike side to side to give your butt a break from the seat. You can add smart control to it later if you decide you want to get more serious about your indoor training, and it is Zwift compatible.

I'd seriously start out by looking into videos you can buy or download from Sufferfest or RealRides. If you want to get more serious after that, then look into a crank based power meter for your bike so you can use it on the trainer and on the road. A trainer based power meter can only be used on the trainer, why not get something for out on the road as well.

Happy training, I'd recommend using a fan to move some air over your body, you'll create a huge puddle of sweat if you don't.
JRT812
12/8/2017 4:58pm
I’ve used Kinetic in the past. Really good for the price. Place in front of a tv and slap something on. Miles for days.
Shawn142
12/8/2017 6:27pm
I've used a fluid resistance trained a good bit. The thing I don't like is you lose the ability to race yourself. With GPS tracking I was always able to compare my rides and know if I should feel good about it or not. On the roller I just felt like I was there. To me it would have been worth the extra money to attach smart capability to it so I know rpms, mph, the basics I got from riding on the road.
12/9/2017 2:12am
Not sure what your budget is, but I highly recommend a smart trainer that can be paired with Zwift. A lot of pros use this as...
Not sure what your budget is, but I highly recommend a smart trainer that can be paired with Zwift. A lot of pros use this as it is interactive and has great training programs. The resistance will change as you climb and descend and is much more challenging than a regular cycling workout. Wahoo is a popular brand of smart trainer and the kickr snap is $600 retail but you can find them for $250-400 used.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr-snap-bike-trai…

http://zwift.com/
Prefer to start cheaper since I've never used one. If I can make it a habit, I'd definitely be willing to pay that. Potentially more if need be.
12/9/2017 2:13am
And probably a dumb question, but do they generally work with fixed gears? I'm currently without a traditional road bike, just a fixed and a mountain bike…
Taylor415
12/9/2017 6:37am
Kurt Kenetic, I love it. Pretty quiet and has a pretty good “road feel” minus spindown, but I’m not using it to coast. Like mentioned above, get something you can pair with zwift. Makes it much less mind numbing. The workouts on there are pretty damn good. Make sure you put something under the trainer, you’ll get rubber everywhere.
Taylor415
12/9/2017 6:38am
And probably a dumb question, but do they generally work with fixed gears? I'm currently without a traditional road bike, just a fixed and a mountain...
And probably a dumb question, but do they generally work with fixed gears? I'm currently without a traditional road bike, just a fixed and a mountain bike…
Yeah they work. I had mine on there for awhile.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
12/9/2017 10:24am
I just recently got a set of Elite Arion Digital B+ Smart rollers...my first set of rollers. I'm using it with Zwift, and the My E-Training app. Cost me $600 to buy the rollers. I really like the ability to move around on the rollers...it doesn't just hold the bicycle in one position. Definately a learning curve there, and no spin down with the rollers. You simply cannot coast with them.
51xc
12/9/2017 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 4:00pm
always would go for a direct-drive smart trainer. oh, and get a fan, a big one!

edit: also make sure you buy the right wheel mounting standard (quick release, thru axel etc.)
lumpy790
12/9/2017 4:07pm
Rumor is Santa sent an early delivery that I found in the vacuum closet

12/10/2017 1:51am
BTW, I should have mentioned earlier, I run a TACX trainer tyre on a separate rear wheel, so I can just pop it in when I need to do an indoor session. The TACX has lasted thousands of trainer kilometres with very little wear. My normal road tyres would be shagged in a few hours, if that. Buy yourself a trainer specific tyre. It'll pay itself off pretty much instantly.

Post a reply to: Anyone own a cycling resistance trainer?

The Latest