Anyone notice in Racerhead

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:12pm
From Cox:

And finally, it was brought to my attention this week that the AMA rule for Lites eligibility changed this year for supercross, and it’s insane because they didn’t inform anyone of this change. What happened is, instead of the old rule that said a rider had to score 100 points in three consecutive years before getting bumped, it has been changed for 2009 so that any rider who scores a TOTAL of 225 points over three years is bumped up (page 24 of the rulebook).

Now, think about that. That’s 24 races, if the rider is healthy and races all of them. So, if he raced all of them, he would only need to average a finish of 11th place and he would be permanently bounced from the Lites class. Or, check this out, if a rider averages seventh or better, he’ll be bounced after just two years. For example, Blake Wharton, at his current pace, would be bumped to 450s in 2011. That just seems ridiculous to me. It seems to me that three is the magic number – Ryan Villopoto raced Lites for three years, as did Stewart, and even Ricky Carmichael said he wished he would have. This is going to take all of the decent talent out of the Lites class in no time, which will make Lites championships worth nothing.

And even better, this rule is retroactive to the beginning of 2008. So, any rider (are you listening, Austin Stroupe, Wil Hahn and Nico Izzi?) who accumulates 225 points between 2008 and 2009 will be forced to be on a 450 in 2010 or not race at all.

How about them apples?

A very fast revolving door and makings of very short careers
Enjoy
Fight amongst yourselves
|
Wolfman
2/27/2009 5:11pm
Im sure they are just trying to get more talent in the heavies, but this is pretty lame. Gonna be alot less riders making a living at SX with these changes for sure.
GoRide2
2/27/2009 5:16pm
This is good in cases of sandbaggers like Ryan Dungey who should move up but decide to continue to chase lites titles that they don't have the composure to win.
mxdancer
2/27/2009 5:24pm
Wolfman wrote:
Im sure they are just trying to get more talent in the heavies, but this is pretty lame. Gonna be alot less riders making a living...
Im sure they are just trying to get more talent in the heavies, but this is pretty lame. Gonna be alot less riders making a living at SX with these changes for sure.
You mean there are alot of Lites riders actually making a living racing SX? Shocked

Gma B
txmxer
2/27/2009 5:27pm
GoRide2 wrote:
This is good in cases of sandbaggers like Ryan Dungey who should move up but decide to continue to chase lites titles that they don't have...
This is good in cases of sandbaggers like Ryan Dungey who should move up but decide to continue to chase lites titles that they don't have the composure to win.
so what you are really saying is that JLaw couldn't beat Dungey...it was Dungey who gave up the title last year? Wonder if that makes JLaw's sac taste differently to you.

The Shop

GoRide2
2/27/2009 5:30pm
GoRide2 wrote:
This is good in cases of sandbaggers like Ryan Dungey who should move up but decide to continue to chase lites titles that they don't have...
txmxer wrote:
so what you are really saying is that JLaw couldn't beat Dungey...it was Dungey who gave up the title last year? Wonder if that makes JLaw's...
so what you are really saying is that JLaw couldn't beat Dungey...it was Dungey who gave up the title last year? Wonder if that makes JLaw's sac taste differently to you.
I'm saying that JLaw had an unlucky mechanical DNF. All dungey had to do was coast to the championship and he couldn't even do that. The rightful champion won if that is what you are insinuating.
GoRide2
2/27/2009 5:32pm
Lawrence Dungey Villopoto Grant. They all should have moved up earlier.
WSR
2/27/2009 5:33pm
Bring on the outdoors.
dennisjonon
2/27/2009 5:34pm
I think its good. 450 class is the premier class, lites class isn't.

moto329
2/27/2009 5:42pm
GoRide2 wrote:
I'm saying that JLaw had an unlucky mechanical DNF. All dungey had to do was coast to the championship and he couldn't even do that. The...
I'm saying that JLaw had an unlucky mechanical DNF. All dungey had to do was coast to the championship and he couldn't even do that. The rightful champion won if that is what you are insinuating.
Lawrence had a DQ for outside assistance, not a mechanical DNF. There was nothing wrong with his bike, he just couldn't start it. His mechanic started it right up and rode it off the track.

GoRide2
2/27/2009 5:45pm
GoRide2 wrote:
I'm saying that JLaw had an unlucky mechanical DNF. All dungey had to do was coast to the championship and he couldn't even do that. The...
moto329 wrote:
Lawrence had a DQ for outside assistance, not a mechanical DNF. There was nothing wrong with his bike, he just couldn't start it. His mechanic started...
Lawrence had a DQ for outside assistance, not a mechanical DNF. There was nothing wrong with his bike, he just couldn't start it. His mechanic started it right up and rode it off the track.

He still spotted Dungey a race.
ProMed
2/27/2009 5:49pm
flarider wrote:
From Cox: [i]And finally, it was brought to my attention this week that the AMA rule for Lites eligibility changed this year for supercross, and it’s...
From Cox:

And finally, it was brought to my attention this week that the AMA rule for Lites eligibility changed this year for supercross, and it’s insane because they didn’t inform anyone of this change. What happened is, instead of the old rule that said a rider had to score 100 points in three consecutive years before getting bumped, it has been changed for 2009 so that any rider who scores a TOTAL of 225 points over three years is bumped up (page 24 of the rulebook).

Now, think about that. That’s 24 races, if the rider is healthy and races all of them. So, if he raced all of them, he would only need to average a finish of 11th place and he would be permanently bounced from the Lites class. Or, check this out, if a rider averages seventh or better, he’ll be bounced after just two years. For example, Blake Wharton, at his current pace, would be bumped to 450s in 2011. That just seems ridiculous to me. It seems to me that three is the magic number – Ryan Villopoto raced Lites for three years, as did Stewart, and even Ricky Carmichael said he wished he would have. This is going to take all of the decent talent out of the Lites class in no time, which will make Lites championships worth nothing.

And even better, this rule is retroactive to the beginning of 2008. So, any rider (are you listening, Austin Stroupe, Wil Hahn and Nico Izzi?) who accumulates 225 points between 2008 and 2009 will be forced to be on a 450 in 2010 or not race at all.

How about them apples?

Enjoy
Fight amongst yourselves
I love this plan.

You get 3 YEARS in the Lites class, and if you were decently successful, you get bumped. If they can't enjoy a long career in the 450 class after 3 years in the 250f class then let em join the real world.
Holigan
2/27/2009 6:03pm
Expect a lot ot Turf Toe in the last couple of races.
Ozzy
2/27/2009 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:41pm
Actually I did as soon as I read it awhile ago.
Made me laugh & sick at the same time!
I actually wrote a whole post about it, but I
"deleated it"! Way to harsh! Instead I borrowed this
from another post of mine elsewhere.........:
The problem with the AMA has always been the AMA.
Are they always so bad?
Many times rule wise, etc., they are.
Many good people, very bad rules & rulings, etc.........?
They're dated, cheap, out-a-touch, with what's what &
many times needed. They've been so full of themselves for
so so long, the jokes are on them & that's how 1 gets thru it all.
Even now, their new "top secret Lites/250F" class eligibility
rules are completely insane. INSANE!
I predict in time as "MX Sports" did, SX will drop them too.
Dave O. Wink
"a sanctioning body is a terrible thing to waste".......
"creditability is a terrible thing to waste "......................
Woohoo "CMC Ride with the Best "........Woohoo
Trinitite
2/27/2009 6:42pm
I don't like this rule. I agree that this will make for a lot of short careers.
2/27/2009 6:59pm
dungey, weimer, morais, brayton, stroupe, izzi, metcalfe(well not anymore), wil hahn may all be forced to go 450 in 2010...I spoke about this with a bud 3 weeks ago, def. should be changed, going to make the lites class look like a novice race compared to the 450 class. The east 250f already has no depth as it is, and the 450 class is tough tough this year.
level
2/27/2009 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2009 7:02pm
I don't understand why the 450 is the premiere class. What, just because the bike has a bigger motor? Big deal. It's harder to clear those obstacles with a 250f-maybe that should be the premiere class. I say let the riders ride what class they want and make them both equal.
2/27/2009 7:17pm
Run what ya brung......it's the pro's.

And yes that means guys on 450's should be able to drop down if they can find a better rider.

It's the pro's folks. 17 rounds of east....no developmental regiona series.
mcphilly
2/27/2009 7:57pm
GoRide2 wrote:
Lawrence Dungey Villopoto Grant. They all should have moved up earlier.
so you are pretty much talking about everyone who has raced the mx 2 class for the last 20 years or so ? Pretty much everyone who has raced that class has spent at least 3 years in it most of them a bit more .
eddie
2/27/2009 8:10pm
Run what ya brung......it's the pro's. And yes that means guys on 450's should be able to drop down if they can find a better rider...
Run what ya brung......it's the pro's.

And yes that means guys on 450's should be able to drop down if they can find a better rider.

It's the pro's folks. 17 rounds of east....no developmental regiona series.
agreed .
motogrands
2/27/2009 8:43pm
GoRide2 wrote:
This kid in only 19 years old how do you come up with sandbagger.
andymoto
2/27/2009 10:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:41pm
As usual, no one finds out until after the fact, with the SX season halfway over.

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
2/28/2009 12:43am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:41pm
Only on this board could a rational post about an important issue facing all pro SX riders instantly devolve into a JLaw v. Dungey fight.

Afuggenmazing ©
alphado
2/28/2009 3:35am
Both classes should be equal, just like the Nationals.
BobbyM
2/28/2009 4:23am
flarider wrote:
From Cox: [i]And finally, it was brought to my attention this week that the AMA rule for Lites eligibility changed this year for supercross, and it’s...
From Cox:

How about them apples?

Enjoy
Fight amongst yourselves
AMA rocks...smartest dudes ever. they were even smarter with that dude whitlook
WhKnuckle
2/28/2009 4:40am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:41pm
flarider wrote:
From Cox:

How about them apples?

Enjoy
Fight amongst yourselves
Dumb rule, IMO. There has to be some way of forcing riders to move up, but that's not the way to do it - it's not so much that I think it's a bad idea, it's just that the threshold is wrong.

There aren't enough good 450 rides out there to support forced migration to the class of guys who haven't even contended for a championship yet in Lites. Under that rule, guys who aren't the fastest in the Lites but who are consistent are going to be forced to the 450 class. That's a bad idea.
mxdad
2/28/2009 6:51am
It is about time they do something. The 125 SX class was designed as a pro novice feeder class. The intent of the short east/west series was to provide top amatures the ability to gain sx experience on a shoe string budget. Look what the shit has evolved into now.....full blown factory teams, big dollar salaries, etc. Funny thing is they are still only racing 8 rounds, only running 15 lap mains with the talent split between 2 series. If left unchecked guys will be signing SX Lites Only contracts and staying in the class for 5+ years.

It will be refreshing to see all 20 guys in the 450 class be full blown factory riders.

Good job AMA.
DA498
2/28/2009 8:58am
mxdad wrote:
It is about time they do something. The 125 SX class was designed as a pro novice feeder class. The intent of the short east/west series...
It is about time they do something. The 125 SX class was designed as a pro novice feeder class. The intent of the short east/west series was to provide top amatures the ability to gain sx experience on a shoe string budget. Look what the shit has evolved into now.....full blown factory teams, big dollar salaries, etc. Funny thing is they are still only racing 8 rounds, only running 15 lap mains with the talent split between 2 series. If left unchecked guys will be signing SX Lites Only contracts and staying in the class for 5+ years.

It will be refreshing to see all 20 guys in the 450 class be full blown factory riders.

Good job AMA.
BINGO....
mxdancer
2/28/2009 9:02am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:41pm
mxdad wrote:
It is about time they do something. The 125 SX class was designed as a pro novice feeder class. The intent of the short east/west series...

Good job AMA.
It's true the Lites class was originally designed to work just as you say. But, the same thing happened in the amateur classes. OEMs started supporting certain riders to compete as amateurs and then moved them up to pro. Now you have factory riders competing in the Lites class. I agree this should not be happening. The AMA should have stepped in long ago and not let this happen. But, they did. Now, what it sounds like to me...the poor dude with little, or no, support...riding their butts off just to qualify for a main..... are the ones being punished. Not right...Not fair. I agree something needs to be done, but I don't think this is the answer. I think a better idea would be to keep OEMs out of amateur competition to begin with. Let the riders earn their way in to pro ranks based on talent and skill like it used to be.

Alot (most) of these kids are taking the rides being offered to them (if they are even lucky enough to be offered a ride). If that's riding Lites....well that's what they take.

Gma B
flarider
2/28/2009 9:07am
Forcing 10th place guys to go to 450's in 3 yrs is stupid
Matter of fact, considering it is a PRO class, the entire concept of amateur-like advancement is stupid.
It's a pro class, it should be open to any pro rider.
It's not a "Pro Novice" class.
You race where you can get work and get paid. Works like that in every form of racing. Michael Schumacher could go race GP2 tomorrow if he wanted and Rossi could race 250GP's again if he wanted
sc961
2/28/2009 9:09am
GoRide2 wrote:
He still spotted Dungey a race.
You tend to live in the past, and have unhealthy fixations on male motorcycle riders.

The rider with the most points won last year, after all the motos were done, straight up. That isn't a completely new concept. May want to look into it.

BTW, where is that past champion from 2008 now?

Post a reply to: Anyone notice in Racerhead

The Latest