Anyone notice a shift?

3/26/2021 9:01am
TannerMxer wrote:
Everyone that was on here when this place started and liked moto 15 years ago are all old ass boomers and gen x close to retirement...
Everyone that was on here when this place started and liked moto 15 years ago are all old ass boomers and gen x close to retirement, so taking it a little more mellow in enduro and trails makes sense.
Nah man I’m 27. I just realized long ago that Moto would only lead to broken bones sooner or later. And I can’t afford not to go to work. I can push my limits almost as far as I want riding enduro type terrain. Taking it easy is not even close to what I’m doing. We hit things that would make track guys shit their britches. And vice versa

Not dissing on anyone riding Moto at all. I used to want to be the guy who could scrub and hit nasty triples but things change I suppose. More power to the gnarly dudes who can pull it off
TeamGreen
3/26/2021 9:08am
Over this last year...I’ve witnessed it all growing...
Moto
Off-Road
Even seeing trials bikes out there, again.

I raced at Pala about a month ago and the “semi-post-COVID” turn out was pretty damn good...& this was in California...where we’ve got VERY tight COVID restrictions.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1469th
3/26/2021 9:18am
JBlain619 wrote:
I know for where I am in the Mid-Atlantic, it seems to be growing. Now, once stick and ball sports start back up on a regular...
I know for where I am in the Mid-Atlantic, it seems to be growing. Now, once stick and ball sports start back up on a regular basis, I think there will be a decline again unfortunately. At our first MDRA/PAMX race this past weekend at Tomahawk MX in WV, we had 858 entries. The largest event that Tomahawk has hosted from what I was told.

I couldn't care less if it's moto, off-road, street, or trials, as long as it is growing and helping my friends in the powersports industry pay their bills!
DMJ232 wrote:
I was there this past week, holy crap! I have never seen so many people at a local race in the area! When we pulled into...
I was there this past week, holy crap! I have never seen so many people at a local race in the area! When we pulled into the track they had people parked outside of the complex, I could not believe it. it was awesome to see!
JBlain619 wrote:
Agreed brother! Track was epic too.
Yeah it was. Normally it is a bit more rough but they did a great job with the prep
brimx153
3/26/2021 10:51am
Imo 90s was peak moto . And that would probably be because i was a teen in them . Iam guessing You were probably teen ,early 20s in Rv, RD etc years . Someone will come on and say 80 s were peak . In reality 60,70,80,90, s had far bigger following at the outdoor race s . Was only looking at a 60 s scramble s and the crowd was huge ! Looking at it . Compared to now

The Shop

3/26/2021 11:32am
I think the comments above suggesting that electric bikes may have an affect are spot on. The manufacturers are clearly worried about the ongoing market (or political) sustainability of the ICE powerplants, and the recently announced battery homologation partnership was one example. Even more recently, BRP announced that it was going to drop $300 million into electrification research for snowmobiles, etc.: Re: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-ski-doo-maker-brp-to-i…

I suspect the e-bike thing might impact motocross first (given the shorter charge cycle requirements) but if Bombardier can make an electric Skidoo work well enough to run around the Rockies for a few hours, then dirt bikes that can do the same might not be far behind.

Will that make offroad and MX motorcycles more or less popular? That's anybody's guess. We see XC bicycle trails being shut down regularly for e-bike access, so the noise/pollution angle may not be something that will save us from some sort of demise. And, from the enviro side of things, too much success (ie. too may riders) in the off road world will likely not end well regardless of the power sources for the bikes. Where I am, it is now the case that any water crossing executed over an uncontrolled location of a waterway results in a big fine and lots of finger-wagging. Haters are gonna hate, and if they don't want any sort of machines in their wilderness, they will fight back.

This classic picture is probably a pretty good explainer, as moto-folks love it and it gives enviro-folks nightmares:

Post a reply to: Anyone notice a shift?

The Latest