Anyone notice a shift?

Edited Date/Time 3/26/2021 11:32am
Been on this forum for quite a few years. I think I noticed a peak in MX interest a few years back when Dungey,Villopoto,Stewart and Reed were all in it. The up and comers were Barcia, Canard, Tomac and Roczen.

For me that was the hay day at least. I think the overall interest is switch to more off-road racing. Hard Enduro more so. Don’t get me wrong I like to watch all the SX races but it seems to be about the same every year. Tracks are about the same and the riders jump the same shit and turn the same shit. Everyone can scrub and blitz whoops (or jump them).

The off-road scene I think is gaining traction because it’s something different usually all the time. Mother Earth provides a lot more versatile options then a set up track. Maybe I’m a little biased because I ride enduro but I see a lot of riders buying off-road 2 stroke trail bikes instead of the standard MX 4 stroke provided.

What are your thoughts?
|
JT Moto
3/25/2021 9:52am
Interesting. An enduro guy thinks enduro is best and moto is dying. Interesting.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
3/25/2021 9:57am
As far as entries goes he is not wrong. Amateur racing off road/ GPs entry counts are WAY higher everywhere compared to moto. Sit around for 12 hours to ride 3 times and 4-5 laps at a time or show up and race on time for an hour to 2 1/2 hours based on class you are racing? Its an easy decision. Off road is superior until mx promoters chill on the money grab and actually offer just a little bit of value.
LungButter
3/25/2021 9:57am
JT Moto wrote:
Interesting. An enduro guy thinks enduro is best and moto is dying. Interesting.
Interesting, another topic where you don't add shit and just try to make yourself look smart by talking down to others.

Off road racing participation is growing on a local and National level, can you say the same for moto?

Graham Jarvis has a Million followers on Instagram, how many moto guys have that?

Do you have any facts or anything to add or just gonna run your mouth and add nothing as usual?

The Shop

JT Moto
3/25/2021 10:25am
LungButter wrote:
Interesting, another topic where you don't add shit and just try to make yourself look smart by talking down to others. Off road racing participation is...
Interesting, another topic where you don't add shit and just try to make yourself look smart by talking down to others.

Off road racing participation is growing on a local and National level, can you say the same for moto?

Graham Jarvis has a Million followers on Instagram, how many moto guys have that?

Do you have any facts or anything to add or just gonna run your mouth and add nothing as usual?
You lost me at Instagram followers.
gt80rider
3/25/2021 10:28am
Peak? 2007..... 1987..... all of the 1970s..... today is nowhere near a peak, but rising steadily thanks to covid
LungButter
3/25/2021 10:30am
JT Moto wrote:
You lost me at Instagram followers.
You mean I lost you when I brought facts and actual thought and not just the drivel you spew?
ShawdowGlen
3/25/2021 10:36am
As long as you're riding on two wheels.... whatever kind of dirt or street....you're cool with me.

Me....I'm into ADV riding these days.

mxaaron
3/25/2021 10:40am
I'm a moto guy #1, and street #2. But this weekend at our winter home track, we had a practice day like any other saturday, however Sunday was a Norcs race, which, up here, is off road (of some sort.) From what I understand, there were over 700+ (individual rider) entries. From what I understand, moto entries in our area are typically lucky to be half of that.

To me, in the NW, it definitely appears that offroad attracts the market share of riders.
Motox627!
3/25/2021 10:41am
JT Moto wrote:
What the fuck is your deal man? All you post is negative bullshit or rude ass comments on everyone's post. Not hugged enough as a child? Micro penis?
GuyWithABike
Fantasy
2261st
3/25/2021 10:44am
He’s not wrong. Harescrambles, GNCC, and Hard Enduro are rising. If someone could figure out a good way to capture it on video it would be golden.

Maybe get the production crew from Erzberg and Romaniacs over the the USA. Would love to see more dirt bike racing through towns like they do in the WESS series.
Sully22
3/25/2021 10:46am
From a personal experience I started racing MX in 84 and I've had MX bikes ever since, I've also owned quite a few street bikes from crotch rockets to Harley, but the past few months I've been looking at dual sport / enduro.
PNWRider
3/25/2021 10:48am
mxaaron wrote:
I'm a moto guy #1, and street #2. But this weekend at our winter home track, we had a practice day like any other saturday, however...
I'm a moto guy #1, and street #2. But this weekend at our winter home track, we had a practice day like any other saturday, however Sunday was a Norcs race, which, up here, is off road (of some sort.) From what I understand, there were over 700+ (individual rider) entries. From what I understand, moto entries in our area are typically lucky to be half of that.

To me, in the NW, it definitely appears that offroad attracts the market share of riders.
Doesn’t help when anyone in the greater Seattle/SnoCo area has to drive 2-4hrs each way for MX...I miss having MXGP, Jolly, etc, and RMC in the winter.
kage173
3/25/2021 10:49am
Peak is the wrong word. These things ebb and flow.
cable
3/25/2021 10:53am
without a stew or villo, its a snoozfest. tell me the last exciting thing youve seen someone do that everyone talked about? Maybe when tomac wheelied the whoops at daytona? I dont want to see these guys get hurt but if everyone does the triples and rythms.. if a 2 stroke can do the rythms, tracks havent evolved with the bikes.
3/25/2021 10:53am
kage173 wrote:
Peak is the wrong word. These things ebb and flow.
True true, but what is making off-road racing popular is the bikes and how they perform now. 5-7 years ago enduro 2 strokes were not close in performance as too what they are now. Also gummy tires have changed the game.

What will change the game for Moto? I hate to say it but I think it will be electric bikes. And people will hate that but the biggest thing that will change it will be that. Very unpopular opinion I know
Motox627!
3/25/2021 10:55am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2021 11:02am
Sully22 wrote:
From a personal experience I started racing MX in 84 and I've had MX bikes ever since, I've also owned quite a few street bikes from...
From a personal experience I started racing MX in 84 and I've had MX bikes ever since, I've also owned quite a few street bikes from crotch rockets to Harley, but the past few months I've been looking at dual sport / enduro.
Could be that the overall age of riders is rising due to the lack of kids getting into the sport. Seems like most kids these days would rather stare at a phone or video game and us older MX'ers that still want to ride, the enduro and trail riding starts to seem more appealing. I know i don't send it near as hard as i used to at the track. Takes way longer to heal and seems to hurt worse when you eat shit. I will forever love moto, but as we age i think how we get our two wheel fix changes a bit. My own 2 pennies of course.
PNWRider
3/25/2021 10:56am
I think one factor has been the ridiculous amount of classes most promoters have added to MX. I’m paying more money than ever to ride/race, yet I get 4 lap motos because we need another 8-10 nearsighted left-handed 85 intermediate class...or I can go to practice days for MX or hare scrambles and get a ton of seat time for less money.
JBlain619
3/25/2021 11:00am
JT Moto wrote:
LungButter wrote:
Interesting, another topic where you don't add shit and just try to make yourself look smart by talking down to others. Off road racing participation is...

I know for where I am in the Mid-Atlantic, it seems to be growing. Now, once stick and ball sports start back up on a regular basis, I think there will be a decline again unfortunately. At our first MDRA/PAMX race this past weekend at Tomahawk MX in WV, we had 858 entries. The largest event that Tomahawk has hosted from what I was told.

I couldn't care less if it's moto, off-road, street, or trials, as long as it is growing and helping my friends in the powersports industry pay their bills!
Sully22
3/25/2021 11:02am
Sully22 wrote:
From a personal experience I started racing MX in 84 and I've had MX bikes ever since, I've also owned quite a few street bikes from...
Motox627! wrote:
Could be that the overall age of riders is rising due to the lack of kids getting into the sport. Seems like most kids these days...
Could be that the overall age of riders is rising due to the lack of kids getting into the sport. Seems like most kids these days would rather stare at a phone or video game and us older MX'ers that still want to ride, the enduro and trail riding starts to seem more appealing. I know i don't send it near as hard as i used to at the track. Takes way longer to heal and seems to hurt worse when you eat shit. I will forever love moto, but as we age i think how we get our two wheel fix changes a bit. My own 2 pennies of course.
Totally agree.... and the pain/age thing is a big factor for me.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
3/25/2021 11:14am
There is a surface level danger when it comes to moto, big jumps and big crashes. Its easy to see and get discouraged by it. Woods riding and racing can be just as dangerous. Here in the PNW, woods racing is massive. Moto is okay, been on the climb it seems the last couple years.

I also feel thats riding woods promotes a different environment, seems more friendly and easier? Less ego maniacs thats for sure.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
3/25/2021 11:21am
mx510 wrote:
As far as entries goes he is not wrong. Amateur racing off road/ GPs entry counts are WAY higher everywhere compared to moto. Sit around for...
As far as entries goes he is not wrong. Amateur racing off road/ GPs entry counts are WAY higher everywhere compared to moto. Sit around for 12 hours to ride 3 times and 4-5 laps at a time or show up and race on time for an hour to 2 1/2 hours based on class you are racing? Its an easy decision. Off road is superior until mx promoters chill on the money grab and actually offer just a little bit of value.
Are there any MX promoters who are actually rolling in the money? I doubt it. The promoters need to make sure they at least get enough entries to break even.

The problem is, every rider wants a class especially for them (30+, 35+, 40+, 125, 250, Vintage, Expert, A, B, C, Pro, a million youth classes, etc.). So you end up with dozens of classes that have to be run each day.

Somehow we need to find a way to combine the classes a little better, and get the racers to buy in to the system.
M1000
3/25/2021 11:34am
1970 were hey-day for American MX. The American dollar was worth more than everything else. Therefore japanese products were cheap (like China products now). The middle class can afford relatively inexpensive two wheel racing vs four wheel racing. Barriers to entry were small (very little environmental laws, issues), governments weren’t against carbon production, utilization. Now fast forward today, with low interest rates, huge personal debts, huge government debt (needs servicing via taxation), green movement wants nobody on government land, internet, communications, etc. The USD has dropped in value relative world producers (still #1 currency), however Greenback buys you less product. The bigger governments that people elect need payment (taxation), still racking up 20+ Trillion dollar debt. Any imcrease or normalization of interest rates to 5-7%, will crush all economies, governments,etc. So governments just print $$$$💰💰💰, to keep party going, stay in power. Therefore getting back to Mx vs off-roading, enduro, etc. Cost$$$, time, etc.
Bottom line Western standard living has increased at decreasing rate. However it’s still better than all other countries. What every other country wants is to be like America (independence, liberty). However the amount of consumption worldwide would require more resources, that Earth cannot provide all the resources for 8 billion. Therefore we Need more planets like earth. Enjoy the moment. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🗽🗽🗽⛽️⛽️⛽️🏍🏍🏍
austin_bo
Fantasy
239th
3/25/2021 11:38am
Sold my sxf last summer and just picked up an xcf. Doing my first harescramble in May. I've always loved moto, but when the tracks shut down during quarantine, I developed a liking for exploring the woods. Also, at 31 years old, the perception of danger seems less on tight single track versus 75' doubles. But like someone else said, anything on two wheels is cool with me!
hamncheeze
3/25/2021 11:38am
cable wrote:
without a stew or villo, its a snoozfest. tell me the last exciting thing youve seen someone do that everyone talked about? Maybe when tomac wheelied...
without a stew or villo, its a snoozfest. tell me the last exciting thing youve seen someone do that everyone talked about? Maybe when tomac wheelied the whoops at daytona? I dont want to see these guys get hurt but if everyone does the triples and rythms.. if a 2 stroke can do the rythms, tracks havent evolved with the bikes.
Come on, this is ridiculous. Motocross is much more than just talking about something crazy like Stew jumping a wall or Tomac wheel-tapping whoops.

If you want a recent memory, go back and watch SLC 3/Round 13 of last year's SX season. The muddy race in SLC. Watch Tomac and Webb go at it. If that's not exciting, I think you are not a fan.
BroFoSho
3/25/2021 11:44am
LungButter wrote:

Bro, James Stewart has that many followers and hasn't raced since 2016 and has made three posts in the last three years.

Ken Roczen has 50% more than Jarvis. Heck, Axell Hodges has that many followers
Moto Nomad
3/25/2021 11:45am
M1000 wrote:
1970 were hey-day for American MX. The American dollar was worth more than everything else. Therefore japanese products were cheap (like China products now). The middle...
1970 were hey-day for American MX. The American dollar was worth more than everything else. Therefore japanese products were cheap (like China products now). The middle class can afford relatively inexpensive two wheel racing vs four wheel racing. Barriers to entry were small (very little environmental laws, issues), governments weren’t against carbon production, utilization. Now fast forward today, with low interest rates, huge personal debts, huge government debt (needs servicing via taxation), green movement wants nobody on government land, internet, communications, etc. The USD has dropped in value relative world producers (still #1 currency), however Greenback buys you less product. The bigger governments that people elect need payment (taxation), still racking up 20+ Trillion dollar debt. Any imcrease or normalization of interest rates to 5-7%, will crush all economies, governments,etc. So governments just print $$$$💰💰💰, to keep party going, stay in power. Therefore getting back to Mx vs off-roading, enduro, etc. Cost$$$, time, etc.
Bottom line Western standard living has increased at decreasing rate. However it’s still better than all other countries. What every other country wants is to be like America (independence, liberty). However the amount of consumption worldwide would require more resources, that Earth cannot provide all the resources for 8 billion. Therefore we Need more planets like earth. Enjoy the moment. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🗽🗽🗽⛽️⛽️⛽️🏍🏍🏍
That is certainly a macro-level take on moto vs. off-road. Grinning Interplanetary, even.
Hammer 663s
3/25/2021 11:54am
We do just moto. I like the rush, even if I'm not doing 75 foot doubles. And I'm ok hanging at the trailer with the dogs and the boys between sessions/motos. Every track in the PNW is packed - practices and race days. I kinda wish more of them would head to the woods. Wink But those are crowded here too! I see bikes in truck and on trailers heading every which way on the weekends.

Hammer 663s
LungButter
3/25/2021 11:57am
BroFoSho wrote:
Bro, James Stewart has that many followers and hasn't raced since 2016 and has made three posts in the last three years. Ken Roczen has 50%...
Bro, James Stewart has that many followers and hasn't raced since 2016 and has made three posts in the last three years.

Ken Roczen has 50% more than Jarvis. Heck, Axell Hodges has that many followers
Axell Hodges doesn't race motocross, he's popular for the same reason Jarvis is, insane free riding clips.

Name another active rider beside Roczen with a million or more.
Crossup
3/25/2021 11:59am
Been on this forum for quite a few years. I think I noticed a peak in MX interest a few years back when Dungey,Villopoto,Stewart and Reed...
Been on this forum for quite a few years. I think I noticed a peak in MX interest a few years back when Dungey,Villopoto,Stewart and Reed were all in it. The up and comers were Barcia, Canard, Tomac and Roczen.

For me that was the hay day at least. I think the overall interest is switch to more off-road racing. Hard Enduro more so. Don’t get me wrong I like to watch all the SX races but it seems to be about the same every year. Tracks are about the same and the riders jump the same shit and turn the same shit. Everyone can scrub and blitz whoops (or jump them).

The off-road scene I think is gaining traction because it’s something different usually all the time. Mother Earth provides a lot more versatile options then a set up track. Maybe I’m a little biased because I ride enduro but I see a lot of riders buying off-road 2 stroke trail bikes instead of the standard MX 4 stroke provided.

What are your thoughts?
Maybe you and your friends are personally moving towards woods racing and Enduro over moto. I think it's pretty understandable that people's interests change over the years. I only ride Enduro at this point with a bunch of old f-er friends.

That said when I look at Supercross and Motocross I think the future is pretty damn awesome. I look at this 250 class coming up and a lot of these amateurs about to come into the pro ranks and I'm excited for the racing. We can all see this is a pretty packed 450 field which is given us awesome racing this year. I've been following the MXGPs for years now (Cairoli, Herlings, Prado, Gajser) and paying for the TV because that racing is awesome too. I don't see any reduction in the quality of the talent or the racing.

Post a reply to: Anyone notice a shift?

The Latest