(Edit: apologies to the people I've offended by calling Redbud a sand track)Anyone know why Redbud became a sand(IER) track?

MB19
Fantasy
1645th
Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 3:50pm
It looked completely different than it did this summer. With the rain, it basically replicated a European practice track. Maybe it hurt the US team, maybe it didn't, I'm just curious why they brought in so much sand.
|
10/8/2018 10:56am
It’s a good job they did, as it made it ridable - no, raceable. If they didn’t lay the sand down on there it’d have been a water park. They’d have had to close parts of the track.
10/8/2018 11:18am
they added sand and woodchips for possible rain ... et voila
made for a great track under these conditions , without the sand and woodchips it would have been a real mudfest
fox1nz
10/8/2018 11:31am
Sand track my arse, it's a little bit of sand and way better than the horse shit the ama started putting on the tracks a few yrs back.
Oh they made it a "Sand Track" Just for the Eruos thats what you want to hear isn't it???
MB19
Fantasy
1645th
10/8/2018 12:03pm
I didn't imply anything. I never said they didn't do a great job prepping the track. I was just wondered why they did it. Do you know for a fact they did it because of the weather because that's a lot of work to do in a week or so. I should know better to ask a simple question on vital. It's like your vultures waiting to attack anything and everything.

The Shop

Donovan759
10/8/2018 12:11pm
MB19 wrote:
I didn't imply anything. I never said they didn't do a great job prepping the track. I was just wondered why they did it. Do you...
I didn't imply anything. I never said they didn't do a great job prepping the track. I was just wondered why they did it. Do you know for a fact they did it because of the weather because that's a lot of work to do in a week or so. I should know better to ask a simple question on vital. It's like your vultures waiting to attack anything and everything.
I thought it was a good question. I was wondering the same thing myself. Everyone's still just hung over or butthurt.
Loots & matt gave great answers.
Fourth_Floor
10/8/2018 12:16pm
The obvious answer's gotta be because of the rain right? I'd much rather have seen the racing that unfolded this weekend vs a bunch of guys having to paddle their way around the track and not being able to jump anything.
a22
10/8/2018 12:18pm
As RichardLoots says above I think- it poss did suit the Euros more but was the same for everyone to ride I guess.

I mean US guys ride mud and sand also anyway, although the mud may have suited the Euros more, looking at it like that.
Understand you are not implying anything and good post, is interesting to know the exact reasons.
They prob had to try to do something about the threat of a mudfest?
10/8/2018 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 1:44pm
I heard also that the wind was blowing against the the American riders and the Euros had the wind blowing behind them giving an unfair advantage.

JustMX
10/8/2018 1:15pm
That sand was most likely hauled in starting right after the national from the pit located on the north side of the property.

Tim Ritchey isn't the kind of guy that waits until the last minute.

Having been on the track crew at the national when it has rained I am glad they did add a bunch of sand as it made for some great racing under trying conditions.
danman
10/8/2018 1:37pm
Considering the rain they got, that track was in GREAT shape. No sand and chips would have turned that place into a mudhole. I don't know when they brought it all in, but they were thinking ahead and boy it paid off.
10/8/2018 1:52pm
fox1nz wrote:
Sand track my arse, it's a little bit of sand and way better than the horse shit the ama started putting on the tracks a few...
Sand track my arse, it's a little bit of sand and way better than the horse shit the ama started putting on the tracks a few yrs back.
Oh they made it a "Sand Track" Just for the Eruos thats what you want to hear isn't it???
thats what AP said , the track was euro style prepped and he should have gone to Belgium to prepare
orange_44
10/8/2018 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 2:00pm
They’ve been adding sand for years. Just listened to a podcast from 2011 and Reed was talking about how different Red bud had gotten. And this was 7 years ago. But yes they did add a lot of sand since the national in July.
Jrewing
10/8/2018 2:07pm
Track was awesome. Good job to the Redbud team for making a track that made for good racing
motomike137
10/8/2018 2:14pm
Fantastic job by the folks at Red Bud this weekend! The sand being added to the surface started years ago. Bringing in more for this race was the right call.
Rs444
10/8/2018 2:17pm
MB19 wrote:
It looked completely different than it did this summer. With the rain, it basically replicated a European practice track. Maybe it hurt the US team, maybe...
It looked completely different than it did this summer. With the rain, it basically replicated a European practice track. Maybe it hurt the US team, maybe it didn't, I'm just curious why they brought in so much sand.
It wasnt even close to being a sand track and once again, the best riders in the world should be able to ride in every kind of terrain, if u cant then your not the best rider no excuses.
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
10/8/2018 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 2:31pm
fox1nz wrote:
Sand track my arse, it's a little bit of sand and way better than the horse shit the ama started putting on the tracks a few...
thats what AP said , the track was euro style prepped and he should have gone to Belgium to prepare
All respect but has AP ever rode an Euro track? How does he know what a typical Euro track is like. Plessinger allegedly loves wet conditions and Tomac and Barcia allegedly love sandy tracks. Here we are hearing track excuses.
fisher725
10/8/2018 2:36pm
I had not been to Redbud before but was surprised of how sandy it was compared to what I remember seeing on tv over the years. I actually liked it. I thought it made for great racing and the rain didn't seem to affect it much. I couldn't believe the corner speed out of the Euros. Of course, I'm bummed that Team USA didn't win, but man it was awesome to see the Euro riders. The track wasn't muddy, the parking lot was...
motomike137
10/8/2018 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 2:42pm
fisher725 wrote:
I had not been to Redbud before but was surprised of how sandy it was compared to what I remember seeing on tv over the years...
I had not been to Redbud before but was surprised of how sandy it was compared to what I remember seeing on tv over the years. I actually liked it. I thought it made for great racing and the rain didn't seem to affect it much. I couldn't believe the corner speed out of the Euros. Of course, I'm bummed that Team USA didn't win, but man it was awesome to see the Euro riders. The track wasn't muddy, the parking lot was...
The parking lot is what the track would have been like 20 years ago. Red Bud was hard pack once upon a time.
Two Stroke
10/8/2018 2:45pm
Every year about this time they have lots of rain in that area so to counter it the Track owner decided to haul in sand which would handle the excess water better than the dirt.

I think it hurt the American's because they had raced on the track just a few short weeks ago and were expecting the track to be similar to what it was. IT WASN'T. It was basically a new track and they weren't set up for it. One of the American riders said how they were expecting it to be dug deeper but that it was and it had a hard bottom under the soft top.

Barcia did a fine job in the first moto with a 2nd to Coldenhoof and in his second moto he rode well.. Tomac got poor starts and rode his way to the top 5. He passed a lot of riders on the way. Aaron was the one that had the major problems and we haven't heard what happened. I hope he is ok. Did his team miss the set up, was Aaron sick? He didn't get good starts and he didn't come through the pack. He almost always beat Ferrandis and was not in the same race.

Lot's of reasons but I think the riders went in expecting one thing and found something completely different. I still give them Kudos for stepping up and doing the best they could. None of them had to do it yet they did.
karsmakers
10/8/2018 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 2:49pm
MB19 wrote:
It looked completely different than it did this summer. With the rain, it basically replicated a European practice track. Maybe it hurt the US team, maybe...
Rs444 wrote:
It wasnt even close to being a sand track and once again, the best riders in the world should be able to ride in every kind...
It wasnt even close to being a sand track and once again, the best riders in the world should be able to ride in every kind of terrain, if u cant then your not the best rider no excuses.
It wasn't close to a sand track? said the blind man. All the best sand riders did well. Glen Coldenhoff couldn't have wen't 1-1 if it wasn't in slick sandy conditions like that. Or is Glen faster than Herlings and we never knew?
KDXGarage
10/8/2018 2:49pm
I think they brought in the sand to save the event. All the rain would have made the track a nightmare. They spent a lot of money to make the event. The promoter can't control the rain.

All the racers were on the same track. Team USA is not the only team that was hindered by it not being the normal dirt at Red Bud. I doubt every Euro thought it was great to ride in the rain through sandy slop than the dry dirt of the summer National.
10/8/2018 2:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 2:51pm
fox1nz wrote:
NVA57 wrote:
All respect but has AP ever rode an Euro track? How does he know what a typical Euro track is like. Plessinger allegedly loves wet conditions...
All respect but has AP ever rode an Euro track? How does he know what a typical Euro track is like. Plessinger allegedly loves wet conditions and Tomac and Barcia allegedly love sandy tracks. Here we are hearing track excuses.
he better be sand prepped for next year Wink Ferrandis wont be his only threat at that race Tongue
KDXGarage
10/8/2018 2:53pm
fox1nz wrote:
NVA57 wrote:
All respect but has AP ever rode an Euro track? How does he know what a typical Euro track is like. Plessinger allegedly loves wet conditions...
Watch a few MXGP races and you will see that surface several times. Watch a few USA Nationals and you will NOT see that surface at all.
Jimmy638
10/8/2018 2:56pm
Raced there back in the 90,s, no sand then except the area where Laroccos leap is at and it was racable in the rain then. Good question though. It changed the whole dynamic of the track from what it used to be
Jimmy638
10/8/2018 2:59pm
KDXGarage wrote:
I think they brought in the sand to save the event. All the rain would have made the track a nightmare. They spent a lot of...
I think they brought in the sand to save the event. All the rain would have made the track a nightmare. They spent a lot of money to make the event. The promoter can't control the rain.

All the racers were on the same track. Team USA is not the only team that was hindered by it not being the normal dirt at Red Bud. I doubt every Euro thought it was great to ride in the rain through sandy slop than the dry dirt of the summer National.
The sand was brought in from the north east part of the property
OldYZRider1
10/8/2018 2:59pm
Pretty wise of the Ritchie's to increase the amount of sand given the questionable weather for October in southern MI. It still provided what appeared to be a decent racing surface so the event wasn't a complete mudfest. Even if the sand hadn't been present the Euros probably would have still waxed our butts; they're just better at racing on many different types of surfaces and in varied conditions right now it appears.

The Dutch results were nothing short of incredible given they basically achieved what they did with a two man effort.
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
10/8/2018 3:02pm
NVA57 wrote:
KDXGarage wrote:
Watch a few MXGP races and you will see that surface several times. Watch a few USA Nationals and you will NOT see that surface at...
Watch a few MXGP races and you will see that surface several times. Watch a few USA Nationals and you will NOT see that surface at all.
Fair enough.

‘Not a typical AMA track’ is better wording though
KDXGarage
10/8/2018 3:06pm
Pretty wise of the Ritchie's to increase the amount of sand given the questionable weather for October in southern MI. It still provided what appeared to...
Pretty wise of the Ritchie's to increase the amount of sand given the questionable weather for October in southern MI. It still provided what appeared to be a decent racing surface so the event wasn't a complete mudfest. Even if the sand hadn't been present the Euros probably would have still waxed our butts; they're just better at racing on many different types of surfaces and in varied conditions right now it appears.

The Dutch results were nothing short of incredible given they basically achieved what they did with a two man effort.
Do you (and anyone else) seriously think that Team USA would not have done better if the track looked like it did at the summer National?
10/8/2018 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 3:14pm
We walked the track after the race... it was sooo insanely soft, wet, and practically bottomless sand in most areas.

This is not an excuse - it’s a fact that US riders hardly ever ride, race or train in a deep wet sand mix like what was at Red Bud this weekend.

No matter what side of the pond you’re on for the AMA vs GP’s argument - you know you were surprised at how poorly Team USA did this weekend.... do you really think it’s a coincidence all 3 guys rode like shit????

Again, my hat goes off to the competition. I absolutely already knew coming into this weekend that most American’s underestimate the depth of talent in the GP’s...

Anyone who thinks everything I just said is bullshit, is welcome to think so. As long as they truly believe in their heart that those results would be pretty much the same if the race was held on a hard packed Glen Helen; or hell, even Anaheim 1! Because, racing dirtbikes is racing dirtbikes, no matter what, right??

Congrats to France for the win and congrats to the Dutch for really blowing everyone's wigs back with your dominance!!!

Post a reply to: (Edit: apologies to the people I've offended by calling Redbud a sand track)Anyone know why Redbud became a sand(IER) track?

The Latest