Ballpark $$ for amateur rider at a year round training facility

Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 11:44pm
Hypothetical scenario:

*Foreign rider 15 years old no parents or manufacturer, fuel, gear etc. sponsors...Parents paying for it all.

*No racing or traveling at all.

*Would his parents have to hire a mechanic or do some facilities provide wrenching support as part of their programs?

*How many bikes would realistically be needed just for the training for an entire year?

*How much would fuel budget be?

*Housing, food, electric hookups etc.

*How many sets of gear would be needed if rider did laundry once a week? Would 7 sets be enough? Are two 2 sets or more realistic during

*Internet service, cell phone, discretionary spending budget for movies, possible girlfriend, dates etc.

*So what kind of budget would you feel comfortable establishing for a program as described?
|
1/7/2019 12:39am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 12:44am
Oh boy you're lucky I have insomnia and am answering this honestly.
1 year membership to a club will cost you $15,000-$20,000. You'd need at least 2 bikes otherwise you'll be sitting out a lot while one gets rebuilt. Most facilities have an on site mechanic to help you but you still have to pay for parts so that's another 3-5k a year depending on how hard you are on a clutch. Gear sets is hard to determine, it depends on how many times you crash. You'll want at least 2 clean sets at all times. Food for a 15 year old for one year doing excessive training would be a minimum $4k. For a cell phone buy a cheap net 10 phone, your parents are paying enough money. Other expenses on cabs/ubers, movies, having fun ect I'd put at a minimum $250 a month but you could easily blow thru that in a week. And none of these expenses will compare to the bills you'll rack up at hospitals when you crash and psychiatrists when you go nuts after a month of being forced to train all day. Good luck dude.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/7/2019 5:39am
Oh boy you're lucky I have insomnia and am answering this honestly. 1 year membership to a club will cost you $15,000-$20,000. You'd need at least...
Oh boy you're lucky I have insomnia and am answering this honestly.
1 year membership to a club will cost you $15,000-$20,000. You'd need at least 2 bikes otherwise you'll be sitting out a lot while one gets rebuilt. Most facilities have an on site mechanic to help you but you still have to pay for parts so that's another 3-5k a year depending on how hard you are on a clutch. Gear sets is hard to determine, it depends on how many times you crash. You'll want at least 2 clean sets at all times. Food for a 15 year old for one year doing excessive training would be a minimum $4k. For a cell phone buy a cheap net 10 phone, your parents are paying enough money. Other expenses on cabs/ubers, movies, having fun ect I'd put at a minimum $250 a month but you could easily blow thru that in a week. And none of these expenses will compare to the bills you'll rack up at hospitals when you crash and psychiatrists when you go nuts after a month of being forced to train all day. Good luck dude.
I believe your parts numbers are way off. Being at a training facility you will be racking up bike hours like crazy. I’d say parts budget for the year especially if you have a mod bike or multiple bikes is going to be more like $7-$10k for the year.

The Shop

Spooner
1/7/2019 5:51am
Don't forget about tires too. I'd think you would have $5-7K in tires alone with the amount of time you'd be riding.
cody41
1/7/2019 5:56am
I would say $50,000 no problem. After you add up the cost of training, food, bikes, bicycles too because they need them, gear, parts, fuel, labor, and entertainment you’d be ball park around that number. If the kid is slow and/or on small bikes it would cost less, but if he’s on bike bikes and has some skills everything is going to be roached out at a very fast rate riding that much.
Bearuno
1/7/2019 7:42am
Is there an Education in any of these costs?

Is that part of the first figure of 15 to 20K?
tingo
1/7/2019 7:43am
The biggest cost seems to be a decent education. Whistling
holeshot100
1/7/2019 12:38pm
Trey Canard's old facility is offering training now under the new owner.

Short video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYhrYy08jEc

Our 80 Acre compound has the following amenities:

2 MX Tracks
2 SX Tracks
1 TT Flat Track
Club House
Race Shop
Fitness Center
Shooting Range
Fishing Ponds
yak651
Fantasy
214th
1/7/2019 3:47pm
Bearuno wrote:
Is there an Education in any of these costs?

Is that part of the first figure of 15 to 20K?
Education?? Jr is going pro, he doesn't need any education!

I like the part about no racing, just training. That's one of the down falls of all these training facilities. No one races locally anymore, just practice all year and show up for the 2-3 big races, how does the industry expect the local race organizers/track owners to make a living when they encourage this new "way to the top"?
Looby321
1/7/2019 4:07pm
Monk wrote:
Man, $2k seems cheap considering what they are offering...
That’s per month.
Monk
1/7/2019 4:11pm
Monk wrote:
Looby321 wrote:
That’s per month.
I understand, as well as added costs. IMO it's still cheap. Any decent day riding class will cost anywhere from $2-400 depending on who's teaching.

Im 37 and race Pro in offroad. For someone like myself to head down and get some one-on-one training on the MX course for a full month would probably really benefit me...
Jack_Wagon
1/7/2019 7:30pm
My son lives and trains at a top facility, and it sets me back about $50k a year total. I'm operating on a shoestring budget to do it that cheap. Luckily I only live 4 hours from him, so I can take care of all maintenance and repairs without having to pay someone . Our race bikes were supplied last year so that was another major expense saved. It could easily run $100- 150k a year. I'm not sure how other facilities are, but where my son trains they have a full time teacher and they required to be in a school curriculum. They have a full shop and mechanic that you can pay by the job or pay a set annual fee that includes all maintenance and repairs for the year. I would call around to some facilities and get a feel for what you're getting in to before making a year commitment. Maybe go for a week or two, possibly a month, and see if it's really something you want to do. It sounds like it would be a dream to live and ride at a top training facility, but it's a job. Get up at 7:30 to be at the gym at 8. Ride from 9 to 1. Back to gym until 3. Off to school until 6. 4- 5 days a week.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
1/7/2019 7:37pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
My son lives and trains at a top facility, and it sets me back about $50k a year total. I'm operating on a shoestring budget to...
My son lives and trains at a top facility, and it sets me back about $50k a year total. I'm operating on a shoestring budget to do it that cheap. Luckily I only live 4 hours from him, so I can take care of all maintenance and repairs without having to pay someone . Our race bikes were supplied last year so that was another major expense saved. It could easily run $100- 150k a year. I'm not sure how other facilities are, but where my son trains they have a full time teacher and they required to be in a school curriculum. They have a full shop and mechanic that you can pay by the job or pay a set annual fee that includes all maintenance and repairs for the year. I would call around to some facilities and get a feel for what you're getting in to before making a year commitment. Maybe go for a week or two, possibly a month, and see if it's really something you want to do. It sounds like it would be a dream to live and ride at a top training facility, but it's a job. Get up at 7:30 to be at the gym at 8. Ride from 9 to 1. Back to gym until 3. Off to school until 6. 4- 5 days a week.
Not a bad job if you ask me..hahah
Adam43
1/7/2019 7:47pm
Not a good trend. If a guy from up north wants to go tune up for a few weeks, more power to them.

Year round living, without parents present, and maaaaybe fitting the odd homeschool class in? Yikes.

Most of the good guys don't come from these puppy mills anyway.
Monk
1/7/2019 7:50pm
jbrown15 wrote:
ClubMX has allot of the info you're looking for listed right on their website.

https://www.clubmx.com/trainingfacility
Monk wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Isn't it $1471.00 a month if you have your own food and motorhome?
That's if you commit for 12 months. They offer a monthly program for $2k if you just want to just do a month, or even a week at $500
Monk
1/7/2019 7:54pm
Adam43 wrote:
Not a good trend. If a guy from up north wants to go tune up for a few weeks, more power to them. Year round living...
Not a good trend. If a guy from up north wants to go tune up for a few weeks, more power to them.

Year round living, without parents present, and maaaaybe fitting the odd homeschool class in? Yikes.

Most of the good guys don't come from these puppy mills anyway.
$50k a year would get you one hell of a education...
barnett468
1/7/2019 8:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 8:12pm
Monk wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Isn't it $1471.00 a month if you have your own food and motorhome?
Monk wrote:
That's if you commit for 12 months. They offer a monthly program for $2k if you just want to just do a month, or even a...
That's if you commit for 12 months. They offer a monthly program for $2k if you just want to just do a month, or even a week at $500
that seems like a deal, especially when one considers that it would cost them around $30.00 a day at a public track plus their gas to drive there, so maybe $35.00 x 5 = $175.00. For just another $325.00 you get training.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
1/7/2019 8:16pm
Hypothetical scenario: *Foreign rider 15 years old no parents or manufacturer, fuel, gear etc. sponsors...Parents paying for it all. *No racing or traveling at all. *Would...
Hypothetical scenario:

*Foreign rider 15 years old no parents or manufacturer, fuel, gear etc. sponsors...Parents paying for it all.

*No racing or traveling at all.

*Would his parents have to hire a mechanic or do some facilities provide wrenching support as part of their programs?

*How many bikes would realistically be needed just for the training for an entire year?

*How much would fuel budget be?

*Housing, food, electric hookups etc.

*How many sets of gear would be needed if rider did laundry once a week? Would 7 sets be enough? Are two 2 sets or more realistic during

*Internet service, cell phone, discretionary spending budget for movies, possible girlfriend, dates etc.

*So what kind of budget would you feel comfortable establishing for a program as described?
I know a kid who payed 45k for everything, facility, parts, food, everything.
kage173
1/7/2019 8:31pm
Bloody hell that's depressing

Next Vital Post

Why Isn't Our Sport Growing?
1/7/2019 8:43pm
The downfall of motocross on the amateur level. Even C class riders are living in a training compound to go to LL to win the C class.
Jrewing
1/7/2019 9:35pm
The downfall of motocross on the amateur level. Even C class riders are living in a training compound to go to LL to win the C...
The downfall of motocross on the amateur level. Even C class riders are living in a training compound to go to LL to win the C class.
Sounds crazy. Parents would be better to spend that on a managed fund to set junior up.
cody41
1/8/2019 5:34am
The downfall of motocross on the amateur level. Even C class riders are living in a training compound to go to LL to win the C...
Jrewing wrote:
Sounds crazy. Parents would be better to spend that on a managed fund to set junior up.
Little Jimmy is going to make it though bro! He could invest after he’s a big time superstar! - some people were dropped when they were babies
cody41
1/8/2019 5:39am
It’s not as cool as you think. Imagine the one thing you love more than anything, motocross, turning into something you don’t want to do anymore because that’s what happens when you ride that much. Also, what happens once you realize you’ve wasted your time and money chasing something that’s not happening and now need to get a real job, but you’re a box of rocks that just knows how to twist the throttle? Mommy and daddy don’t last for ever
Jrewing
1/8/2019 1:02pm
cody41 wrote:
It’s not as cool as you think. Imagine the one thing you love more than anything, motocross, turning into something you don’t want to do anymore...
It’s not as cool as you think. Imagine the one thing you love more than anything, motocross, turning into something you don’t want to do anymore because that’s what happens when you ride that much. Also, what happens once you realize you’ve wasted your time and money chasing something that’s not happening and now need to get a real job, but you’re a box of rocks that just knows how to twist the throttle? Mommy and daddy don’t last for ever
“Box of rocks that can twist a throttle”. Love it!

Post a reply to: Ballpark $$ for amateur rider at a year round training facility

The Latest