Anyone interested in some custom 3D printed moto parts?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2018 9:15 PM

A little while ago I had the idea of printing some custom front brake cable guides for my bikes, and after posting some photos on IG it generated more interest then I thought it would. I’m currently printing with our 3D printer at work, just fitting in prints when I can if we aren’t printing work related stuff, but I’ve seriously been considering getting my own printer at home. I’m just trying to determine if there is enough interest in these to make it feasible for me to buy my own printer and realistically be profitable from it.

I currently have designs for the Yamaha two and four strokes, but if there is enough interest I can generate designs for other bikes as well (aside from Ktm, they integrate the front number plate unfortunately). Price would be around $25-$30 shipped anywhere in the US, international I’m not sure about since I’ve never done it. Material is currently PLA plastic, this is a relatively strong but somewhat brittle plastic that is very easy to print. I may swap to PETG which is a little more flexible, but that would take some serious test prints to really dial in. If you were to crash and break this it’s not likely that your stock guide would remain intact and in usable condition. I can easily do short names/initials + number on the front, or whatever else you might want on there.

If you would seriously be interested in ordering one or more, please comment your bike and how many you would likely order. If there is enough interest I may take the plunge and go for buying my own printer, but I want to test the waters first.

Here is what you can expect:

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



7/2/2018 9:20 PM

That’s awesome. How long does it take to print one of those?

|

Instagram: @motoxeno


Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com


7/2/2018 9:27 PM

Thats super rad!

|

7/2/2018 9:33 PM

Xeno wrote:

That’s awesome. How long does it take to print one of those?

Takes a little over an hour for these, but I’ve made some smaller ones that were less than half that. These would cost WAY more than what I’m selling them for if you were to have them printed by a company or print hub, I just think that would price most people out of the market real quick and I don’t want to screw people over.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



7/2/2018 9:41 PM

Man I can’t wait to get mine. Hoping in the next few weeks!!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

7/2/2018 9:56 PM

Can you print up the plastic throttle tubes? I was thinking about getting some done for a motorcycle. New they are no longer available but it's like a dirt bike in design.

|

7/2/2018 9:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2018 10:03 PM

Would you be able to get any color you want - like an orange Kawasaki fender on a ktm would be awesome. Or flourescent yellow, orange, or green plastic, or maybe a current Honda with the atomic red from 93 smile

|

7/3/2018 2:39 AM

That looks really cool!

I made a custom 3D printed brake hose guide for my girlfriends pit bike myself over a year ago and it has been working perfectly

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo





|

7/3/2018 6:24 AM

Good effort, I've 3D printed a few parts for my crf. - custom numbered upper fork guards out of a soft rubbery material. Lower fork guard on the non-disc side. Snap on Starter button cover for when you're loading the bike. Snap on chain tension guide. Its the future

|

7/3/2018 2:55 PM

Ok guys, sorry for the late responses, I haven't been able to get back on until now.

To anyone who has messaged me about it, the PM system here is sketchy at best for me. If I receive a message I will send a reply, but I can't guarantee it will go through so don't think I'm ignoring you, just post in here if you don't receive a reply within a day or so.

SmokinJoe, throttle tubes are a possibility, but keep in mind I would need a donor tube to be able to measure and create a model from. These would take a little while to print and would be quite a bit more expensive, but in theory it could be done.

Burn, there is filament (ie plastic) in just about any color you could want. I currently only have black, but at around $30 per 1kg roll it's not very price prohibitive to buy other colors, so if there is a demand for a certain color that can definitely be accommodated.

JMX, love it! I like the design you went with, was yours just printed in regular PLA as well?

Fraser, any pics of your parts? I'd like to try my hand at printing some flexible material at some point, I've read it can be a little tricky but it would be fun to try. I've only used PLA and PETG at this point, and pretty much done nothing but struggle with the PETGlaughing

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



7/3/2018 3:05 PM

I want one text me 5056204013

|

7/3/2018 3:10 PM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

I want one text me 5056204013

first person to text Brent a dick pic gets a crudely drawn pic of Meg riding a giraffe

|

7/3/2018 3:15 PM

haha peely wins internet today. tongue

|

7/3/2018 3:16 PM

Something like this would be cool for older bikes too. So many have cracked manifolds and airboots.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

7/3/2018 3:21 PM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

I want one text me 5056204013

peelout wrote:

first person to text Brent a dick pic gets a crudely drawn pic of Meg riding a giraffe

done, hook me up

|

7/3/2018 3:39 PM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

I want one text me 5056204013

peelout wrote:

first person to text Brent a dick pic gets a crudely drawn pic of Meg riding a giraffe

GrapeApe wrote:

done, hook me up

Photo
|

7/3/2018 3:42 PM

Looks like you have to pay up.
Photo

|

7/3/2018 4:10 PM

peelout wrote:

first person to text Brent a dick pic gets a crudely drawn pic of Meg riding a giraffe

GrapeApe wrote:

done, hook me up

peelout wrote: Photo

I'm not even bothered that her right boob is square

|

7/3/2018 7:57 PM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

I want one text me 5056204013

peelout wrote:

first person to text Brent a dick pic gets a crudely drawn pic of Meg riding a giraffe

First one to send Peelbro a cock shot gets a free cable guide.whistling

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



7/3/2018 9:21 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

I'm not even bothered that her right boob is square

That's the Monster claw. Peely's art skills can't do Meg's titties justice

|

7/3/2018 11:08 PM

JM485 wrote:

Ok guys, sorry for the late responses, I haven't been able to get back on until now.

To anyone who has messaged me about it, the PM system here is sketchy at best for me. If I receive a message I will send a reply, but I can't guarantee it will go through so don't think I'm ignoring you, just post in here if you don't receive a reply within a day or so.

SmokinJoe, throttle tubes are a possibility, but keep in mind I would need a donor tube to be able to measure and create a model from. These would take a little while to print and would be quite a bit more expensive, but in theory it could be done.

Burn, there is filament (ie plastic) in just about any color you could want. I currently only have black, but at around $30 per 1kg roll it's not very price prohibitive to buy other colors, so if there is a demand for a certain color that can definitely be accommodated.

JMX, love it! I like the design you went with, was yours just printed in regular PLA as well?

Fraser, any pics of your parts? I'd like to try my hand at printing some flexible material at some point, I've read it can be a little tricky but it would be fun to try. I've only used PLA and PETG at this point, and pretty much done nothing but struggle with the PETGlaughing

Thanks! I did 3D modeling myself and ordered the printed parts trough online from here https://www.materflow.com/en/

The printing was done with SLS technique from a PA12 Nylon material. I'm really happy how the parts turned out. Material seems to be quite strong and flexible and it's really hard to tell that those are printed parts.

|

7/3/2018 11:21 PM

ok here’s the easy chain tension tool Photo

|

7/3/2018 11:25 PM

Upper fork guard Photo

|

7/3/2018 11:27 PM

Snap on starter button cover Photo

|

7/3/2018 11:29 PM

Got some other stuff on my road bike too

|

7/4/2018 8:25 AM

JMX82 wrote:

Thanks! I did 3D modeling myself and ordered the printed parts trough online from here https://www.materflow.com/en/

The printing was done with SLS technique from a PA12 Nylon material. I'm really happy how the parts turned out. Material seems to be quite strong and flexible and it's really hard to tell that those are printed parts.

Those do look really nice! Any printer I deal with is going to be FDM, since that's the more popular style and generally much easier on the wallet.laughing

I should technically be able to print nylon on our printer at work, but it supposedly a little bit of a pain and with the limited experience we all have with printing in general we are probably sticking to PLA and PETG for a little while at least. Nylon would probably be a better material for these parts though, so maybe down the road I'll give it a try if I have my own printer and see how it goes.

I really like that start button cover! My dad has a KTM and I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit that damn thing when I'm loading his bikesilly


|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



7/4/2018 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2018 9:23 AM

Here's a printed air intake for a CBR600 engine in the UNT fsae racecar. UNT is the school with the moto club started by B.Wharton btw. Photo

|

7/4/2018 11:19 AM

I want two brake line guides. I want to put something stupid on one for my buddy's bike and sneak it on there. We both have 2016 yz250fs. Email me when ever you have time.

apclark782@yahoo.com

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

7/4/2018 11:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2018 12:01 PM

I'm curious why you don't make one for the ktm. On my 2016 xc, the guide is bolted onto the number plate and wouldn't be hard to model.

Edit: I guess if you cover it up with pre-printed backgrounds then there's not much point in that custom piece.

|

7/4/2018 3:54 PM

ktmdan wrote:

I'm curious why you don't make one for the ktm. On my 2016 xc, the guide is bolted onto the number plate and wouldn't be hard to model.

Edit: I guess if you cover it up with pre-printed backgrounds then there's not much point in that custom piece.

Dan, it depends on the bike. The newer bikes are literally part of the number plate, so nothing I can do there. The ones you’re talking about might be possible, but due to the shape they’re a little problematic to print. I can look into it a little more, but at first glance it seemed like it would probably not work too well.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com