Anyone in the know about Fly helmet shell sizes?

user760a
Edited Date/Time 2/8/2019 5:05am
maybe someone here will know.

is it safe to assume that an XL fly helmet shell is the same as the L helmet with the actual fitment difference made up by differing padding and liner thickness?

someone basically gave me nearly new Fly Formula something or other and its a tad loose, I am wondering if purchasing a L liner and popping it in will do the trick on what is apparently an xl helmet
|
user760a
2/6/2019 6:56pm
hmmm. that would suck for me.

maybe i can work on fattening my head up instead. Attack the problem from a different angle...
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
2/6/2019 7:00pm
user760a wrote:
maybe someone here will know. is it safe to assume that an XL fly helmet shell is the same as the L helmet with the actual...

is it safe to assume that an XL fly helmet shell is the same as the L helmet with the actual fitment difference made up by differing padding and liner thickness?

someone basically gave me nearly new Fly Formula something or other and its a tad loose, I am wondering if purchasing a L liner and popping it in will do the trick on what is apparently an xl helmet
Do you mean a F2 helmet?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/6/2019 7:09pm
I believe there are three shell sizes.

The Shop

dl117
Fantasy
2587th
2/6/2019 7:15pm
I have put smaller padding in for my kids and it has worked fine when my sons was stuck loose. I think we have a dozen f2 at the house and there is a couple shell sizes.
user760a
2/6/2019 7:18pm
user760a wrote:
maybe someone here will know. is it safe to assume that an XL fly helmet shell is the same as the L helmet with the actual...

DTR830 wrote:
Do you mean a F2 helmet?
possibly. i think it is called a "formula facet"

looks like this

2/6/2019 7:19pm
user760a wrote:
hmmm. that would suck for me.

maybe i can work on fattening my head up instead. Attack the problem from a different angle...
I like they way you think,sometimes you just need to think outside the box.
user760a
2/6/2019 7:21pm
I neatly doubled a nice clean sock over and paced it above the head liner and this helped a lot....

the liners are sold in various sizes. it has 35mm cheek pads, etc. so I could go to 40 on those. But the actual head liner itsself is a little harder to figure
2/6/2019 7:50pm
Let me know what you find out because I'll be looking into a L or XL Formula when they drop. I'm 99% sure they have 3 shells - XS/S, M/L, and XL/XXL, but would like confirmation.
user760a
2/6/2019 8:59pm
iwill call them tomorrow. there is at least a chance I will be able to speak to someone who has a clue what I am talking about lol
2/6/2019 9:13pm
Not sure about now but back in '13 I bought a Fly F2 carbon size L and it was a hair too big so I bought a size M liner and it fit perfectly. I was surprised to find out the only difference between the two sizes was the liner thickness. I lost a lot of faith in humanity that day.
mikec265
2/7/2019 7:52pm
I've got sizing issues with 2 new fly helmets.
The kid has a youth medium Fox helmet that is getting tight. Ordered a youth large Fly with mips and he can't get his head into it, but it's supposed to be larger than the fox by 1 or 2 centimeters.

Got an F2 size XL for myself. The cheek pads are too thick. Besides that it fits fine.

Am I nuts, deformed, or does FLY use weird shapes for their helmets? Is there a fix for this, or should I send them back and try a different brand?

Pretty bummed because this is the first time we have purchased higher end helmets. Never had a problem with fly gear until these helmets showed up.
user760a
2/7/2019 9:39pm
mikec265 wrote:
I've got sizing issues with 2 new fly helmets. The kid has a youth medium Fox helmet that is getting tight. Ordered a youth large Fly...
The kid has a youth medium Fox helmet that is getting tight. Ordered a youth large Fly with mips and he can't get his head into it, but it's supposed to be larger than the fox by 1 or 2 centimeters.

Got an F2 size XL for myself. The cheek pads are too thick. Besides that it fits fine.

Am I nuts, deformed, or does FLY use weird shapes for their helmets? Is there a fix for this, or should I send them back and try a different brand?

Pretty bummed because this is the first time we have purchased higher end helmets. Never had a problem with fly gear until these helmets showed up.
if you poke around in the cheek pad area you will find that they have little tags indicating their size. my formula helmet has 35mm cheek pads , for example. There are sizes from at least 25mm to 40 mm on ebay @ about $20 I think
2/7/2019 9:46pm
mikec265 wrote:
I've got sizing issues with 2 new fly helmets. The kid has a youth medium Fox helmet that is getting tight. Ordered a youth large Fly...

Would you consider your head shape more round or oval?
2/7/2019 9:49pm
I believe it's M/L and XL/XXL...
user760a wrote:
I called Fly today and they verified this. not good for me!
That's a bummer for you. Sounds like you will have to sell the helmet. I just went through something similar with TLD SE4 carbons....they didn't fit my head shape so I had to return them.
Jt$
2/8/2019 5:04am
mikec265 wrote:

There are thinner cheek pads available. Many riders “custom fit” their F2 this way.

That Formula you have in the picture was discontinued in 2015 I believe.
mikec265
2/8/2019 8:45am
mikec265 wrote:

Would you consider your head shape more round or oval?
More round, but not on a Charlie Brown level like some people. If I lost 40 lbs and went from 220 to 180 it'd probably fit fine.

Post a reply to: Anyone in the know about Fly helmet shell sizes?

The Latest