Anyone in here a helicopter pilot? I bet you never thought about hauling dirt bikes for cargo LOL

FastYZFR6

I stumbled across this picture, DAM makes me wish I had joined the army once upon a time LOL sail the sea on an carrier, get flown out to the desert by helicopter to ride dirt bikes, sounds like WAY too much fun Smile O but they might shoot at you no thank you to that part LOL Is that an army issue motocross style helmet haha
|
USMCMXer
11/3/2016 11:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2016 11:21pm
Not ARMY, but cool pic. I haven't flown the bikes yet, but have flown and inserted SEALs with RZRs and JetSkis. Marine Spec Ops (MARSOC) got new KTM dirt bikes to train with. Pretty cool!
kopfjaeger
11/4/2016 12:15am
Geezus H Christ....frickin army??? That's an f'n Marine... Don't let it happen again. We tend to be a little proud of our title. That is all, carry on.
HenryA
11/4/2016 12:33am
What kind of bike is that? Looks kinda slow....Dry

The Shop

Samuel
11/4/2016 3:04am
Damn that is an ugly bike. My dad has one in almost the same color, but with the stock tank. Klr's are turds, but for some reason people like them. I'd still have fun cruising on that through the desert, even though it's a turd.
Helder
11/4/2016 3:54am
This is how we recover bikes where i come from.

JustMX
11/4/2016 5:12am
HenryA wrote:
It is a Kawasaki klr 650.

It has been converted to run on diesel. It has been painted with special paint and has had all reflectivematerial in the lights replaced.

They are heavy and slow stock. Can't imagine them being a lot better as a diesel.

They are stone reliable though.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/4/2016 5:31am
I've had a snowmobile pulled out of the Whistler backcountry when the engine blew too deep to tow out.

Skidaddle
11/4/2016 7:14am
I've had a snowmobile pulled out of the Whistler backcountry when the engine blew too deep to tow out. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/04/158781/s1200_IMG_8492.jpg[/img]
I've had a snowmobile pulled out of the Whistler backcountry when the engine blew too deep to tow out.

Same for guys in California. However the slick ticket is guys drop the track and skis in one of those kiddie plastic snow sleds.
Seen a guy on a sled tow a sled out of a canyon we thought no way. Very little drag. We ended up doing it with a blown YZ 450 timbersled a few years ago.
Skidaddle
11/4/2016 7:29am
Helder wrote:
This is how we recover bikes where i come from.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/04/158771/s1200_DMC_2014.jpg[/img]

Pilot looks like he's passed out.
Skidaddle
11/4/2016 7:35am
HenryA wrote:
JustMX wrote:
It is a Kawasaki klr 650. It has been converted to run on diesel. It has been painted with special paint and has had all reflectivematerial...

It has been converted to run on diesel. It has been painted with special paint and has had all reflectivematerial in the lights replaced.

They are heavy and slow stock. Can't imagine them being a lot better as a diesel.

Do they run a glow plug? I would think they have to run higher compression also?

Im guessing they rely on electric start also?
wanglimp
11/4/2016 7:44am
I have participated in such loading, these dudes just show up on the flightline and ride onto the plane and load themselves like bosses. Its pretty cool.
Moto Mofo
11/4/2016 7:48am
I saw a guy fly into a west Texas enduro in his helicopter once, with his KTM mounted on one of the skids. Wish I'd gotten a picture.
11/4/2016 9:30am
wanglimp wrote:
I have participated in such loading, these dudes just show up on the flightline and ride onto the plane and load themselves like bosses. Its pretty...
I have participated in such loading, these dudes just show up on the flightline and ride onto the plane and load themselves like bosses. Its pretty cool.
Rule #1 - Always look cool Cool
RangerLee
11/4/2016 11:53am
Plenty of bikes in Regiment (75th Rangers).

Unfortunately I was never assigned one, but it was fun seeing them about. Generally they were Diesel powered KLR650's, though I believe there were some KLX's as well.

Slow as hell on the acceleration but they seemed to always keep going. Came across some of the training, seemed like some of them were not really riders, or maybe they had street bike experience, going through deep sand and staying in the saddle. Of course this lead to them going down in a slow speed get off lol.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/4/2016 11:57am
I've had a snowmobile pulled out of the Whistler backcountry when the engine blew too deep to tow out. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/04/158781/s1200_IMG_8492.jpg[/img]

Skidaddle wrote:
Same for guys in California. However the slick ticket is guys drop the track and skis in one of those kiddie plastic snow sleds. Seen a...
Same for guys in California. However the slick ticket is guys drop the track and skis in one of those kiddie plastic snow sleds.
Seen a guy on a sled tow a sled out of a canyon we thought no way. Very little drag. We ended up doing it with a blown YZ 450 timbersled a few years ago.
For sure, we have strapped snowboards to the track even done 2 sleds pulling the broken one. But sometimes you are just too deep. Whistler has some giant climbs.
HenryA
11/4/2016 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 12:00pm
HenryA wrote:
JustMX wrote:
It is a Kawasaki klr 650. It has been converted to run on diesel. It has been painted with special paint and has had all reflectivematerial...

Couldn't believe it when you typed it so had to google it. Turns out that it's true! Never ever heard of diesel powered bikes. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

Still don't get WHY? Sure 96 miles per gallon is impressive....but sounds like the performance is very bad.
Olson
11/4/2016 12:00pm
I rather ride a bike at a track than in the desert of Afghanistan.
JAFO92
11/4/2016 12:23pm
kopfjaeger wrote:
Geezus H Christ....frickin army??? That's an f'n Marine... Don't let it happen again. We tend to be a little proud of our title. That is all...
Geezus H Christ....frickin army??? That's an f'n Marine... Don't let it happen again. We tend to be a little proud of our title. That is all, carry on.
Not only Marine, that is Recon. My kid did Recon Co. while at A&M and got a taste of what life would be if he went Recon once he was active in the Fleet. Them are same masochistic hardcore guys. They will damn near drown you. Seriously.

b8res
11/4/2016 12:53pm
FastYZFR6 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/03/158763/s1200_f9aaff67c1089f6173a7c4049b2c8577.jpg[/img] I stumbled across this picture, DAM makes me wish I had joined the army once upon a time LOL sail the sea on an carrier...

I stumbled across this picture, DAM makes me wish I had joined the army once upon a time LOL sail the sea on an carrier, get flown out to the desert by helicopter to ride dirt bikes, sounds like WAY too much fun Smile O but they might shoot at you no thank you to that part LOL Is that an army issue motocross style helmet haha
During my time I spent in the Marine Corps I was involved with the Combat Motorcycle Program. The early bikes were KLR 250's that were highly modified for military applications. I did not have any experience with the newer KLR 650 that was being developed about the time that I was leaving the program The engine was stock, the suspension had received heavier springs to support the additional equipment, skid plates, engine case crash bars, hand guards, rear racks for soft storage bags. Along with having the OEM light package the bikes were also outfitted with blackout lights for tactical operations and IR as we'll.

In Dec of 1990 I deployed to South West Asia in support of Desert Storm, We deployed with a dozen or so of Combat Motorcycles. I served in a Headquarters and Service 1st Mar Regt, 1st Mar Div in the transportation logistics section. We used the combat motorcycles extensively, Scout Snipers, Communications and Convey Control along with Military Police Operations. Somewhere in my vast photo albums I have some pictures of Marines from my section navigating through the breach points and mine fields that were along the border of occupied Kuwait during the early hours of the ground offensive.

In 1992 I deployed with the 11th MEU BLT 1/4 ( China Marines) back the South West Asia on the USS Tarawa for a +/- 6 month deployment in support of Operation Desert Stay. Again we deployed with (4) combat motorcycles. (2) of the bikes were assigned to Scout Snipers section and the remaining were left in reserve if needed or would be cannibalized for parts if required. In our deployment stores we would take a BOM ( Bill of Material) of parts for these bikes, but in some cases we would not received all the parts before deploying, so the extra bikes were the parts supply. After several month of playing in the deserts in Saudi we boarded our ships and departed the Gulf region for Australia for exercises in Darwin. Things really didn't go as planed, our ARG was sailing for a small country on the Horn of Africa called Somalia.......This was a real word operation. Being deployed on the USS Tarawa it was the command ship, which contained a full support of Marine Corps air support. We had the Huey, CH-46, CH-53 Super Sea Stallion and AV8B Harrier. There was an urgent need for helo support in the Somalia area as the civil war was in the very early stages. The Mogadishu airport needed to be secured to allow for fixed wing planes could be flown in and drop off troops and supplies. The airport was controlled by rebels during the night and WE had control during the day. At night the runways would be mortared, then we would dispatch Marines in to try and fix the runways. Our fleet of CH53's were outfitted with internal and external fuel tanks to make the long trip from our current location to the air field. Sometime during our transit from the gulf region to the waters off Somalia we pickup some Air Force Combat Air Controllers. The mission was to helo insert the "flybozs" with our Combat Motorycles which would be used for setting up communications, inspecting the runways and security patrols in within the confines of the airport and runways. The "flyboyz" were already trained on the combat motorcycles. We received notice to get our best bikes and have them prepared for sustained operations. My motorcycle mechanic worked his tail off keeping those bikes up and running for about 10 days. Every morning at 0 dark thirty we would shuttle the bikes up to the hanger deck then onto the port side elevator for a trip to flight deck. We would push them into the belly of a CH-46 or CH53 with extra fuel for a days operations. The Scout Snipers and security forces would load up at the same time and fly into Mogadishu Airport. They would establish comm and security for fixed wing transport planes to land and depart from the airport. Once things settled down and follow on forces arrived in theater we departed the area and said down to Australia for training........of course we crossed the Equator so we had a good ole fashion "Shell Back" Ceremony!
No Wogs on this trip!

Sorry for the long winded story, I worked in and out of the CMC programs for several years, have plenty more experiences to share.

HDT - http://dieselmotorcycles.com/ were the primary folks that we worked with on this project.

http://dieselmotorcycles.com/history.html

JustMX
11/4/2016 1:21pm
HenryA wrote:
Couldn't believe it when you typed it so had to google it. Turns out that it's true! Never ever heard of diesel powered bikes. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html Still...
Couldn't believe it when you typed it so had to google it. Turns out that it's true! Never ever heard of diesel powered bikes. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html

Still don't get WHY? Sure 96 miles per gallon is impressive....but sounds like the performance is very bad.
I believe it is mandated by the military that everything run on diesel.fuel.

Converting isn't cheap.

I remember seeing a discussion about it on one of the klr forums and I.think the kit is available for non military.consumers for somewhere around $8k.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/4/2016 2:00pm
Motorcycles aside for a minute: God Bless you, Devil Dogs, for your kickass service.
JAFO92
11/4/2016 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 2:06pm
JustMX wrote:
I believe it is mandated by the military that everything run on diesel.fuel. Converting isn't cheap. I remember seeing a discussion about it on one of...
I believe it is mandated by the military that everything run on diesel.fuel.

Converting isn't cheap.

I remember seeing a discussion about it on one of the klr forums and I.think the kit is available for non military.consumers for somewhere around $8k.
If I had to speculate, it would be due to shelf-life of that dismally crappy swill that we call gasoline. The vast majority of gasoline products are notorious for having horrible consistency in blend and meeting published distillation specs. (excepting most 'racing' gasoline products that are blended with more quality control) Not to mention how volatile gas is. Diesel rules out a LOT of transport, safety and storage issues.
Skidaddle
11/4/2016 2:10pm
I thought it was JP-8 which any diesel will run on as its just highly refined Kerosene like Jet-A.

The stealth goes away with it through. 2 things will get you shot at. Exhaust and cigarettes.
Helder
11/4/2016 2:35pm
Helder wrote:
This is how we recover bikes where i come from.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/11/04/158771/s1200_DMC_2014.jpg[/img]

Skidaddle wrote:
Pilot looks like he's passed out.
Hungover yes but I don't think passed out ha-ha
11/5/2016 6:37am
USMCMXer wrote:
Not ARMY, but cool pic. I haven't flown the bikes yet, but have flown and inserted SEALs with RZRs and JetSkis. Marine Spec Ops (MARSOC) got...
Not ARMY, but cool pic. I haven't flown the bikes yet, but have flown and inserted SEALs with RZRs and JetSkis. Marine Spec Ops (MARSOC) got new KTM dirt bikes to train with. Pretty cool!
I think it's SF guys that got KTMs. The only ones we ever used were shitty Afghan bikes or Yamaha TTR 225s. I'm not sure who's call that was, but he needs a swift kick to the nuts.
MotoX85
11/5/2016 5:40pm
kopfjaeger wrote:
Geezus H Christ....frickin army??? That's an f'n Marine... Don't let it happen again. We tend to be a little proud of our title. That is all...
Then why you wearing Army hand me down uniforms then. Our trash, your treasure I guess
mws02
11/5/2016 6:51pm

Is that you slingin the snowmobile?

Post a reply to: Anyone in here a helicopter pilot? I bet you never thought about hauling dirt bikes for cargo LOL

The Latest