Anyone here wear glasses? Goggle advice needed.

Anyone here wear glasses when riding or racing?
If so, what goggles do you use over them?
I'm just recently having to wear glasses on a regular basis.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/14/2019 11:09am
Curious, why not wear contacts instead of glasses?

I know contacts have their disadvantages but they'd be more comfortable than wearing glasses.
3/14/2019 11:13am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

I know contacts have their disadvantages but they'd be more comfortable than wearing glasses.
That's definitely an option I didn't consider. Will have to check into it. Thanks!
pkiczuk
3/14/2019 11:14am
I just started wearing contacts about a week ago myself, they take some getting used to and are not for everyone. So ive been wearing glasses under my goggles, but I don't currently ride moto, just dual sport. I have a pair of 100% and fly and both fit over my glasses no problem. I wouldn't recommend riding moto with glasses underneath though, if you go down theres a good chance they, as well as your face, are gonna have some damage.
ATKpilot99
3/14/2019 11:15am
I'd like to hear suggestions too. My old Scott goggles worked fine but its probably time I replace them haha. On contacts. I can't wear them . No matter how hard I try I cant touch my eye . Tried to use them some time ago but gave up.

The Shop

USA
Fantasy
428th
3/14/2019 11:20am
I have glasses and use EKS Volcano goggles with Bell Moto-9. I never notice that I have glasses on after I get the goggles on. Good goggles, I’ve taken a huge rock straight to the goggles before that screwed up the lens I had, but didn’t affect me at all other than that. I totally recommend them, cheap too.

I have a pair of Oakley Airbrakes that are kinda tight over the glasses, haven’t even tried riding with them yet.

I hope that helps! I know I had some of the same questions when I went to buy gear, and it seems like people on Vital just recommend lasik or contacts. I guess not many people try and ride with glasses and post on Vital?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/14/2019 11:23am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 11:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

part-timer wrote:
That's definitely an option I didn't consider. Will have to check into it. Thanks!
If you start wearing contacts make sure to bring eye drops with you. Your eyes tend to get dry if you don't blink enough. That and dust can be an issue.

Wore glasses once and didn't like it for the simple reason the helmet caused pressure on the frame of the glasses and it was just uncomfortable.

Best thing would be eye surgery but that's a different topic and not everyone is a candidate. Then there's the money aspect. I got it done January 2015, best thing I ever did. Only regret is not having it done sooner.
nd54
3/14/2019 11:35am
https://rxgoggles.com/

I have no personal experience with using rx lenses but some of my friends have tried them with good results. Most of them didn't like riding with contacts (shifted while riding) and glasses underneath there goggle (some fit issues).
DB505
3/14/2019 11:41am
Yea I personally wear contacts when I ride!
As for over glasses goggles, most all mfg make them but I think finding ones that you like & fit well might be hit or mis
MX915
3/14/2019 12:10pm
I wear glasses while riding. Oakley L frame for me. Fit good and no fogging.

Ive used Scott 87s too and they weren't bad.
WW444
3/14/2019 12:18pm
I tried the contacts a few years ago and they just are not for me. Could not stand them! I wear glasses and I run a fox v3 and 100% goggles. This is the set up I have ran since I started wearing glasses while riding so I can not speak for any other set up but its comfortable for me. I wear my old pair for riding and I wear them under my hockey helmet when I do stick and puck.
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
3/14/2019 12:18pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

part-timer wrote:
I got contacts last year after using glasses under O-frame Oakleys. I have astigmatism and I am farsighted. I got contacts just for distance only and they work great. Contacts don't fog up either.
Goon126
3/14/2019 12:20pm
nd54 wrote:
https://rxgoggles.com/ I have no personal experience with using rx lenses but some of my friends have tried them with good results. Most of them didn't like...

I have no personal experience with using rx lenses but some of my friends have tried them with good results. Most of them didn't like riding with contacts (shifted while riding) and glasses underneath there goggle (some fit issues).
I was wearing contacts but at times my eyes would dry up needing a long blink for moisture making things sketchy. So I ordered a pair of 100% with the RX inserts and its amazing. Highly recommend it!
3/14/2019 12:23pm
I wear old school Scott 87 OTG but not available anymore. Great goggles. So I guess I would give the new version from Scott a try.
WW444
3/14/2019 12:27pm
nd54 wrote:
https://rxgoggles.com/ I have no personal experience with using rx lenses but some of my friends have tried them with good results. Most of them didn't like...

Goon126 wrote:
I was wearing contacts but at times my eyes would dry up needing a long blink for moisture making things sketchy. So I ordered a pair...
I was wearing contacts but at times my eyes would dry up needing a long blink for moisture making things sketchy. So I ordered a pair of 100% with the RX inserts and its amazing. Highly recommend it!
Are these the little round clip in with round lenses? If so I tried these from my local eye care and they didn't work for me. They clipped in against the goggle lenses which was so far away from my eyes that It looked like everything was so small and threw my depth perception off bad. Basically if you wear glasses, hold them 3 inches away from your face and thats what it was like for me.
Motox627!
3/14/2019 12:32pm
I bit the bullet and got Lasik back in November because I finally had enough of riding with glasses on. Best decision ever. When i did ride with glasses, I used 100% Race Crafts and then cut the foam on each side where the ear pieces for the glasses went through. Seem to work pretty well and let more air in so i never really had any fogging issues.
kb228
3/14/2019 12:36pm
Before i bought tinted lenses i used to wear sunglasses under my goggles. Had oakley oframe and 100% racecrafts. Didnt have issues with either.
3/14/2019 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 12:59pm
WW444 wrote:
Are these the little round clip in with round lenses? If so I tried these from my local eye care and they didn't work for me...
Are these the little round clip in with round lenses? If so I tried these from my local eye care and they didn't work for me. They clipped in against the goggle lenses which was so far away from my eyes that It looked like everything was so small and threw my depth perception off bad. Basically if you wear glasses, hold them 3 inches away from your face and thats what it was like for me.
Came here to say this. I tried the ones sold by SportRx in San Diego and they just didn't work out for me. The prescription inserts were just too far away from my eyes and it threw off my depth perception and made me dizzy. That's not to say it would work for other people, just didn't work for me.

I also tried contacts and they would dry up, shift, or fall out on me during a moto, and that was also dangerous.

So now i just ride without any prescription help. My eyes aren't that bad but i do loose a bit of sharpness. I think it helps me focus less on the details and more on just general terrain Grinning
crusher773
3/14/2019 1:14pm
I ran glasses for years but contacts are way better. Pro-Grip makes some good ones for over glasses.
mb60
3/14/2019 1:30pm
I wear old school Scott 87 OTG but not available anymore. Great goggles. So I guess I would give the new version from Scott a try.
Try the Scott prospect goggle as well. I wear glasses and my prospects fit over the glasses.

As far as people wearing contacts over glasses. My eyes are so sensitive that dirt or any kind of moisture make my eyes water. So not a option for me.
Dan541
Fantasy
2619th
3/14/2019 1:46pm
I would do https://rxgoggles.com/ . I got a pair, they fit behind the lense of whatever goggles you have (just let them know) and they work great. I use to wear glasses under my goggles but was always weary, tried these and they kick ass.
Paw Paw 271
3/14/2019 4:56pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

When I tried contacts they were always hurting me due to the extra wind and air movement within the goggles and thus they did not work.

Paw Paw
VetMX.com
3/14/2019 5:32pm
Back in the old days I wore HARD contacts, when contacts first came out. If 1 piece of dust got under it you were pulling off the track to put it in your mouth to clean it. Felt like a boulder.

Even worse was blinking one off while road racing going into turn 1 at 130 MPH at TWS. I am blind with out them. Now
I ride with soft contacts on a public track or just glasses on my track.

I dated an eye Dr. who had a bad Lasik surgery so that killed it for me. Her eye waters all day long.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
171st
3/14/2019 7:38pm
Been riding with contacts for ever, had to go to glasses for a few weeks a few months ago, tried to ride, almost killed myself. My depth perception was way off. It was strange.
I would recommend like others to trial fit contacts to what is comfortable. Always bring a second set, and always have eye moisture drops handy. Good goggles is huge.I had to trial a few that I can sleep in from time to time being in the fire service thats a must. I recently was told Im not a candidate for LASIK. That was a huge bummer, So its the contact life for me. Cheers.
zacksavchuk
Fantasy
2369th
3/14/2019 7:49pm
I’ve always had the same problem and when I bought my current bike I did some research and I ended up buying a pair of Scott OTG’s. They are awesome! I now have 4 pair and they are so comfortable to wear. The depth is about double what a normal pair of goggles are and they fit perfectly. Here’s a link. I highly suggest them!!!! For ~$40 you cannot beat them!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Scott-Split-OTG-Over-The-Glasses-Adult-Go…
3/14/2019 9:53pm
mb60 wrote:
Try the Scott prospect goggle as well. I wear glasses and my prospects fit over the glasses. As far as people wearing contacts over glasses. My...
Try the Scott prospect goggle as well. I wear glasses and my prospects fit over the glasses.

As far as people wearing contacts over glasses. My eyes are so sensitive that dirt or any kind of moisture make my eyes water. So not a option for me.
Already thought about it... All these "super wide" goggles might be interesting if you wear glasses.
jeffro503
3/14/2019 10:41pm
I wear glasses for now , but really want to get Lasik done. I did the " contacts " thing for a couple months and just could NOT get them to work well for moto. I'd lube the shit out of them right before every ride , and always by about the 5 - 8min mark , they would ry out , I'd blink and they would shoot out of my eye and stick on the lense!! I really wanted them to work , and tried 4 different brands....no luck.

In the end , I went with the RX goggles insert. I wear Scott Hustle's and now Oakley Airbrakes ( and the same insert works in both ). I got them about 3 years ago , and it was a great investment! I can see so good while I'm riding now.
chump6784
3/14/2019 11:17pm
I wear oakley o2's over my glasses. They have cut outs on the side to fit over the arms of the glasses. I got a cheap pair of plastic frames with transition lenses just for moto. I had a crash with metal frame glasses once, it broke the frame and scratched my nose.

As for contacts, if you don't blink enough they dry up. Sometimes when I'm in a battle i won't blink and they end up drying up and my vision goes blurry. There's nothing like hitting a double 3rd flat with blurry vision
motomike894
3/14/2019 11:47pm
After wearing glasses for about 25 years I finally tried contacts till I found the ones that worked and it’s probably one of the best things I’ve done in my life, I have the day and night ones you can leave in and 90-95% time I have no clue they’re in there, so much better for riding too, wish I would’ve done this long time ago
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
3/15/2019 12:08am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I'd like to hear suggestions too. My old Scott goggles worked fine but its probably time I replace them haha. On contacts. I can't wear them...
I'd like to hear suggestions too. My old Scott goggles worked fine but its probably time I replace them haha. On contacts. I can't wear them . No matter how hard I try I cant touch my eye . Tried to use them some time ago but gave up.
Same with me. I've tried and tried to get contacts sorted but fuck me, 5am in the morning before a race staring into a mirror with eye twitch is not the way to start your race day or practice day. I got them in for one race last year but then couldn't get one of them out. Watched a zillion youtube videos. Not happening for me.

I've settled on glasses. Find a cheap pair of frames that aren't too large and your glasses will fit easily into Scott or Oakley regular goggles. Tear offs or roll off, no probs. Wish I had perfect eye sight or could do contacts but that's where I'm at.

Post a reply to: Anyone here wear glasses? Goggle advice needed.

The Latest