Anyone have the X’s?

skeef
Fantasy
1407th
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2020 10:24pm
I am getting ready for a new 450. I am coming off of an 09 yz450f and have loved it. I’m wanting to start racing off-road and feel a new bike would give me peace of mind for multiple reasons. I’m not going all out, maybe 4 or 5 races a year.

I ride mostly open desert, single track, also will ride our 1 national track in the state from time to time. Ive always rode motocross bikes off-road and really enjoyed it. Now that Honda and Yamaha have their respective 450rx and 450fx, does anybody have one? I know I can find general reviews online but looking for personal feedback. I’m doing a Yamaha demo at the end of March and will make a decision after that.

Looking for feedback, thanks.
|
McG194
2/18/2020 1:12pm
I ride a 250FX and I love it. If I was riding desert or moto more I'd be on a 450 but for bouncing off palmetto roots the 250 is much less tiring for me.

This is my first off road bike everything else was pure moto. If I was only spending time on a track it would still be strictly moto but the FX is 95% as capable for moto and way better off road. YMMV
rongi#401
2/18/2020 2:26pm
I rode a 2020 yz450x, it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t anything near the race model
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2020 2:32pm
I have a few exes.

The Shop

1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
2/18/2020 6:22pm
Any reason to not look at other brands?
Ted722
2/18/2020 8:23pm
Paging Titan1. He just picked up a '19 YZ450FX last year.. Here's his 10 hour report.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
2/19/2020 7:28am
1983YZ125 wrote:
Any reason to not look at other brands?
I did a ktm demo, I would consider one. I’ve heard amazing things about the new yz so I figured after riding it I would either go orange or blue. If Honda would step up and do demos that would be great...
Evoracer
2/19/2020 8:31am
Don't know about the new new, but the '05-'18 CRF450X is still a great offroad bike.
Xeno
2/19/2020 8:45am
I know the Honda bikes really well. We build/modifiy all the Honda off-road models for customers.
Based on your initial post, I would recommend the RX model over the X. The RX will do the offroad racing and also get after it on the motocross track. The X model is not as nimble on a track because of its weight and stability.

For the RX model, we modify the camshaft and change the mapping so it has smooth power deliver in technical terrain. But we also program the 3rd map on the ECU for snappy, motocross power delivery.

Titan1
2/19/2020 10:25am
skeef wrote:
I am getting ready for a new 450. I am coming off of an 09 yz450f and have loved it. I’m wanting to start racing off-road...
I am getting ready for a new 450. I am coming off of an 09 yz450f and have loved it. I’m wanting to start racing off-road and feel a new bike would give me peace of mind for multiple reasons. I’m not going all out, maybe 4 or 5 races a year.

I ride mostly open desert, single track, also will ride our 1 national track in the state from time to time. Ive always rode motocross bikes off-road and really enjoyed it. Now that Honda and Yamaha have their respective 450rx and 450fx, does anybody have one? I know I can find general reviews online but looking for personal feedback. I’m doing a Yamaha demo at the end of March and will make a decision after that.

I love my 19 YZ450FX...I do the same type of riding as you (open desert, some single track) and until this bike, have always ridden MX platforms offroad (including an 09 YZ450f...which I loved)...and its pretty much perfect for the type or riding I do. (Though I do think the Honda RX is a better motocross bike than the Yamaha FX).

The YZ suspension is great out of the box...I honestly feel no need to revalve it at all. I'm 180lbs, so even the stock springs work for me.

The "on the fly" map change capability is awesome! I didn't think I'd use it...but its so nice to be able to switch from a mild/smooth power delivery for a techy single track section (it is still a 450, and that's not really what 450's do best, so to be able to tame that initial 450 hit of power is a must), and then switch it to an MX power delivery for a wide open fast section...it's like riding two different bikes at the same time.

It handles great. I'm not much of a test rider, and I just ride the bike...but I haven't felt any issues getting it to turn like I did on my last KX. If feels much lighter than the scale says...Its predictable...and very stable at speed.

I still might consider a rekluse clutch for it...I'm not a "hard enduro" kind of guy, and don't really enjoy riding technical single track stuff (by "don't really enjoy it", I mean I'm not very good at it, lol) but most races I do seem to have a few sections like that thrown in (especially if they have an "A only" loop or test...) and so I'd consider a rekluse just to compensate for my lack of enduro skills and because its a 450 (250 or 300 I'd probably skip it). I'd be spending a grand to improve my performance by 25% on sections of races that amount to less than 5% of the race...so the rekluse down the priority list a ways.

I have no regrets what so ever on the FX, it is the right bike for the riding I do....but sometimes, I think I might enjoy a 250FX more than the 450...but I haven't gotten enough time on one (250FX) to really know for sure...I only say that because I think it would improve the "fun" factor just a bit (because its less fun to lug a 450 than to really ride a 250 hard), and the only place I'd miss the power of the 450 would be on wide open stuff, which is a small percentage of the races I do.

Definitely go ride one...and ride the Honda if you can. I rode them both and went with the YZ just because the suspension was a little more "plush" feeling (and because I hate the duel exhaust)-and the stiffer feeling suspension is why I'd say the RX would be a better track bike. Unless you're really fast...the RX works better the faster you ride it...(or if you're a revalve-the-suspension-no-matter-what kind of guy, then the stock suspension becomes a wash).

It seems like the stock skid plate on the YZ won't be lasting too long...maybe it will surprise me...but it seems brittle and likely to crack...time will tell. Mine is still going strong, though I haven't tested it yet.

One other complaint, is the fuel tank situation on the YZ....it comes stock (the 2019) with a 2.3 gallon tank (I haven't found empty yet...but I did hit about 50 miles when the fuel light came on...made it back to the truck at 57 miles and still going strong)...the IMS larger tanks are 2.8 ($325 for .5 gallons) or you can go all the way to 3.2 (but the shrouds are replaced by fuel tank...and I'm not a fan). If you want an oversized tank, the RX has way better options.

That funky fuel tank situation, makes it possible to have one of my favorite air filter locations ever though. Its so nice to be able to change an air filter with no tools...I'm a fan of that.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know...I'm happy to answer any that I can.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
2/19/2020 11:54am
skeef wrote:
I am getting ready for a new 450. I am coming off of an 09 yz450f and have loved it. I’m wanting to start racing off-road...

Titan1 wrote:
I love my 19 YZ450FX...I do the same type of riding as you (open desert, some single track) and until this bike, have always ridden MX...
I love my 19 YZ450FX...I do the same type of riding as you (open desert, some single track) and until this bike, have always ridden MX platforms offroad (including an 09 YZ450f...which I loved)...and its pretty much perfect for the type or riding I do. (Though I do think the Honda RX is a better motocross bike than the Yamaha FX).

The YZ suspension is great out of the box...I honestly feel no need to revalve it at all. I'm 180lbs, so even the stock springs work for me.

The "on the fly" map change capability is awesome! I didn't think I'd use it...but its so nice to be able to switch from a mild/smooth power delivery for a techy single track section (it is still a 450, and that's not really what 450's do best, so to be able to tame that initial 450 hit of power is a must), and then switch it to an MX power delivery for a wide open fast section...it's like riding two different bikes at the same time.

It handles great. I'm not much of a test rider, and I just ride the bike...but I haven't felt any issues getting it to turn like I did on my last KX. If feels much lighter than the scale says...Its predictable...and very stable at speed.

I still might consider a rekluse clutch for it...I'm not a "hard enduro" kind of guy, and don't really enjoy riding technical single track stuff (by "don't really enjoy it", I mean I'm not very good at it, lol) but most races I do seem to have a few sections like that thrown in (especially if they have an "A only" loop or test...) and so I'd consider a rekluse just to compensate for my lack of enduro skills and because its a 450 (250 or 300 I'd probably skip it). I'd be spending a grand to improve my performance by 25% on sections of races that amount to less than 5% of the race...so the rekluse down the priority list a ways.

I have no regrets what so ever on the FX, it is the right bike for the riding I do....but sometimes, I think I might enjoy a 250FX more than the 450...but I haven't gotten enough time on one (250FX) to really know for sure...I only say that because I think it would improve the "fun" factor just a bit (because its less fun to lug a 450 than to really ride a 250 hard), and the only place I'd miss the power of the 450 would be on wide open stuff, which is a small percentage of the races I do.

Definitely go ride one...and ride the Honda if you can. I rode them both and went with the YZ just because the suspension was a little more "plush" feeling (and because I hate the duel exhaust)-and the stiffer feeling suspension is why I'd say the RX would be a better track bike. Unless you're really fast...the RX works better the faster you ride it...(or if you're a revalve-the-suspension-no-matter-what kind of guy, then the stock suspension becomes a wash).

It seems like the stock skid plate on the YZ won't be lasting too long...maybe it will surprise me...but it seems brittle and likely to crack...time will tell. Mine is still going strong, though I haven't tested it yet.

One other complaint, is the fuel tank situation on the YZ....it comes stock (the 2019) with a 2.3 gallon tank (I haven't found empty yet...but I did hit about 50 miles when the fuel light came on...made it back to the truck at 57 miles and still going strong)...the IMS larger tanks are 2.8 ($325 for .5 gallons) or you can go all the way to 3.2 (but the shrouds are replaced by fuel tank...and I'm not a fan). If you want an oversized tank, the RX has way better options.

That funky fuel tank situation, makes it possible to have one of my favorite air filter locations ever though. Its so nice to be able to change an air filter with no tools...I'm a fan of that.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know...I'm happy to answer any that I can.
Thank you Titan! I know the 450 is the right move with me being 6’3 and 205lbs, also I’ve been riding a 450 since I was 16. I seem to be one of those guys that just gel with the 450.

The fuel situation is slightly concerning but it obviously can go over 50 + miles on one tank? Do you think the fx burns through gas more than your 09?

I’ve read about battery issue, what battery do you run? Did that fix the starting in gear issue?

I’m excited to ride it at the end of March!
Titan1
2/19/2020 12:31pm
skeef wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
I love my 19 YZ450FX...I do the same type of riding as you (open desert, some single track) and until this bike, have always ridden MX...

skeef wrote:
Thank you Titan! I know the 450 is the right move with me being 6’3 and 205lbs, also I’ve been riding a 450 since I was...
Thank you Titan! I know the 450 is the right move with me being 6’3 and 205lbs, also I’ve been riding a 450 since I was 16. I seem to be one of those guys that just gel with the 450.

The fuel situation is slightly concerning but it obviously can go over 50 + miles on one tank? Do you think the fx burns through gas more than your 09?

I’ve read about battery issue, what battery do you run? Did that fix the starting in gear issue?

I’m excited to ride it at the end of March!
Unless its all sand, or all wide open (think BITD, Vegas to Reno, baja 1000 type of riding) 50+ miles on the stock tank is doable...that particular day is a really solid mix of sand, fast washes/roads, flowy single track, and a little bit of technical single track....so I'm pretty confident in the 50+ miles. 50+ is fine for races for me...we'll always pit before the 50 mile mark...it's the weekend rides that I worry about, where we are doing 70+ miles without getting back tot he truck (which is why I bought the 2.8 gallon IMS...then I'll drop a 32oz of fuel in a gatorade bottle in the hydration pack for a reserve...that's a better option than the 3.2 gallon IMS and converting the radiator shrouds to fuel tank).

I completely forgot about the battery...yes, brand new it was hard starting...two things have helped that: 1) breaking the bike in...the more hours I get on the motor, the easier it is to start, 2) Turning up the idle a half turn from where the dealership had it (the dealer may have had mine unusually low though).

With those two things, it will now start in gear 90% of the time (as long as there is no load on the motor, and as long as I don't touch the throttle). I am looking into some different batter options...but haven't figured out which to go with yet...race season starts next weekend for me, so I'll see how pissed I get if it doesn't start in gear on the start line...if it starts, I probably won't end up doing anything...if it doesn't, I'll probably have a battery in there Monday after the race, lol.

And one other complaint/issue I had was it would stall really easy...turning up the idle (which also helped the hard starting thing), and break in have made this issue all but go away. (truth is it was probably magnified because my last bike had a rekluse in it, and I just forgot how to ride a bike without one...but it still bugged the crap out of me).
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
2/23/2020 5:06pm
skeef wrote:
I did a ktm demo, I would consider one. I’ve heard amazing things about the new yz so I figured after riding it I would either...
I did a ktm demo, I would consider one. I’ve heard amazing things about the new yz so I figured after riding it I would either go orange or blue. If Honda would step up and do demos that would be great...
What about Sherco, Beta, etc?

Would love to have a new Sherco or a 2020 Beta Race editions with KYB forks.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
4/29/2020 12:50pm
skeef wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

Hey Titan,

So becuase of covid they shut down the demo so I never got a chance to ride one. It seems nobody by me has one. Now that you've had more time on the bike.. I figured I ask you a few more questions. Is it worth it over the standard motocross platform? I could get the yz450f for more than a thousand less.. wondering if you think its worth going for the 20 fx'?

Any other concerns that you have came across? I can't believe nobody has done a review of the 20' cross country bikes..
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
4/29/2020 12:55pm
skeef wrote:
I did a ktm demo, I would consider one. I’ve heard amazing things about the new yz so I figured after riding it I would either...
1983YZ125 wrote:
What about Sherco, Beta, etc?

Would love to have a new Sherco or a 2020 Beta Race editions with KYB forks.
I rode the KTM 450 xcf and felt way to big for bike. my knees rubbed inbetween the tank and shroud it was insanely uncomfortable. Plus out of the gate I would have to change pegs, bars, levers all the way around top and bottom. also add bar risers.

I have only heard that the sherco is under powered for our type of flat out desert riding in phoenix/so cal. Need a bike that is a proven desert machine and can handle the abuse/heat

skeef
Fantasy
1407th
4/29/2020 12:58pm
Xeno wrote:
I know the Honda bikes really well. We build/modifiy all the Honda off-road models for customers. Based on your initial post, I would recommend the RX...
I know the Honda bikes really well. We build/modifiy all the Honda off-road models for customers.
Based on your initial post, I would recommend the RX model over the X. The RX will do the offroad racing and also get after it on the motocross track. The X model is not as nimble on a track because of its weight and stability.

For the RX model, we modify the camshaft and change the mapping so it has smooth power deliver in technical terrain. But we also program the 3rd map on the ECU for snappy, motocross power delivery.

I've actually rode with some of your shop guys in ocotillo before about 10 years ago. My dream is to do Baja one day and hopefully you guys will be building that bike for me.
Timo_2824
4/29/2020 10:24pm
I've had my 19 450FX since Oct of 2018. Only things I've replaced are tires, grips, fork seals, and chain/front sprocket plus added a spark arrestor. I have ridden MX, vet/hare scramble tracks, tight single track, desert, and dunes. Since I mostly ride Vet MX tracks and deep sand with monster whoops I added 2 links to the chain and moved the wheel back an inch. This makes it super stable and doesn't hurt it in the tight single track as much as you would think.

The single track is on private land and was made by a sadomasochist that rides a KTM 200. It is super tight, some of the turns are shorter than the bike with a tree on the inside edge of the trail. So you have to brake slide to make the turns, which is a riding style I haven't had since 2008. The dirt is premium loam (exceptin the rocky sections), so traction is maxed out at all times. Oh and the trees are wild honey locust with 5 inch dagger thorns. This isn't this bikes strong suite, but it does it better than my old WR250F. Even with my reduced timing map that is pretty popular on TT (I've even seen it posted here!) this much traction in 1st and 2nd gear gets pretty tiring. 2 hours of riding it at 80-90% and my hands are done. I'm thinking of a 125X just for this trail system, or an E-Bike lol.

For a do it all bike, you can't go wrong with a FX, oh and I'm still rocking the stock battery. Never had any issues with it. The bike sat for 5 weeks last October-November and all I had to do was push the button.

Post a reply to: Anyone have the X’s?

The Latest