Anyone have a RM300 big-bore kit (2-st)?

Joko
Fantasy
190th
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 7:02pm
I'm looking to switch back to a 250 2-stroke from a CRF450, for MX use, but want a bit more power with quick-handling, so
I'm thinking the '07-08 RM250 with a 295cc kit from E.Gorr or Maxpower.
Does anyone have any experience with this kit ?
Does the additional power make the RM too twichy?
Would a different bike make a better 300 kit upgrade for the $?
Thanks ...

e.
gorr's or Maxpower 300 kit may be the way to go
|
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
5/19/2011 5:25pm
Buy a KTM and slap the KTM 300SXS kit onto it.

It comes with everything from the cylinder gasket on up including cylinder, piston, head, and all the little parts. It also comes with a different ignition as well. It's a bolt-in kit, no massaging needed anywhere.

In addition to the dual map ignition, you're able to completely adjust the power output to suit your needs. Three different springs, additional adjustment with each one obviously, and you'll have two ignitions (4 different maps total between the two).
Joko
Fantasy
190th
5/19/2011 5:34pm
T-Fish wrote:
Buy a KTM and slap the KTM 300SXS kit onto it. It comes with everything from the cylinder gasket on up including cylinder, piston, head, and...
Buy a KTM and slap the KTM 300SXS kit onto it.

It comes with everything from the cylinder gasket on up including cylinder, piston, head, and all the little parts. It also comes with a different ignition as well. It's a bolt-in kit, no massaging needed anywhere.

In addition to the dual map ignition, you're able to completely adjust the power output to suit your needs. Three different springs, additional adjustment with each one obviously, and you'll have two ignitions (4 different maps total between the two).
That KTM deal would be the way to go, but $7500+ is over my budget .... I'm thinking $2500 for the bike + $800 for the kit....
EvanR127
5/19/2011 6:09pm
eric gorr kit is $500 with a piston kit. I plan to do the same to my 07 Rm250.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
5/20/2011 6:40pm
EvanR127 wrote:
eric gorr kit is $500 with a piston kit. I plan to do the same to my 07 Rm250.
Anyone out there done this ? I heard it's better to port and stick with the std bore and a have a good top end overrev /pull
because the big bore goes flat on top. I would rather hear from a customer/end user than to listen to the opinions of a shop trying to sell their hop-up service... thanks...

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
5/20/2011 8:18pm
I have a 04 KX with an overbore and I love it. It is not quit a 300 but it is close enough. Doesn't quit have the toruque of a KTM 300 but it is funner to ride. The thing is that it still revs but not in the same way a 125 or a 250 revs. It will blast through and over rev and that is not the same thing as going flat if you know what I mean. It does makes it hard to stretch a gear to a turn. Drop a tooth or two on the rear and I think it would be perfect but I haven't done. It brought fun back into riding for me.
It also got me hurt. I got used to the extra low, monster mid and just the over all power that the bike has. It is amazing in 3rd what the difference between 3/4 throttle and full throttle. I got on my 07' stock KX 250 and tried to land a big triple perfect without over jumping it for the first time I attempted it on that bike. It was more of a speed jump than a power jump but I had no trouble clearing it in 3rd with a little over half throttle powerband and rolled into full throttle on the face on the 04 overbore. On the O7 Stock bike, I grabbed a handful on the face and came up short. It just didn't have that extra muscle between 3/4 throttle and full. At least not the same muscle as the over bore. If anything, beaten, battered, bloodied and bruised later, I'd say that bike is flat on top compared to the overbore.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
5/21/2011 12:49pm
I have a 04 KX with an overbore and I love it. It is not quit a 300 but it is close enough. Doesn't quit have...
I have a 04 KX with an overbore and I love it. It is not quit a 300 but it is close enough. Doesn't quit have the toruque of a KTM 300 but it is funner to ride. The thing is that it still revs but not in the same way a 125 or a 250 revs. It will blast through and over rev and that is not the same thing as going flat if you know what I mean. It does makes it hard to stretch a gear to a turn. Drop a tooth or two on the rear and I think it would be perfect but I haven't done. It brought fun back into riding for me.
It also got me hurt. I got used to the extra low, monster mid and just the over all power that the bike has. It is amazing in 3rd what the difference between 3/4 throttle and full throttle. I got on my 07' stock KX 250 and tried to land a big triple perfect without over jumping it for the first time I attempted it on that bike. It was more of a speed jump than a power jump but I had no trouble clearing it in 3rd with a little over half throttle powerband and rolled into full throttle on the face on the 04 overbore. On the O7 Stock bike, I grabbed a handful on the face and came up short. It just didn't have that extra muscle between 3/4 throttle and full. At least not the same muscle as the over bore. If anything, beaten, battered, bloodied and bruised later, I'd say that bike is flat on top compared to the overbore.
What size is your 04 KX? A 285cc? Was it ported too? Wjhich company did the work? Thanks.. How do you like the handling of the 04-07 KX250?

Post a reply to: Anyone have a RM300 big-bore kit (2-st)?

The Latest