Anyone have a Peleton?

2/4/2021 9:46am
Lukass59 wrote:
Buy a wahoo kicker and then get a zwift app

A lot of the pros use it too including roczen and AC92
I second that. You can race on Zwift too, which means it's much more fun for anyone with a competitive nature. It's really addictive.
hamncheeze
2/4/2021 9:53am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2021 10:05am
If you go on any cycling forum, it is easy to find the hate. If you really just want to get a cardio workout in and the house may have multiple users then I see the value in the Peloton. And I say this as a 30+ year cyclist who raced at the cat 1 level. The amount of hate in the cycling community toward Peloton is ridiculous. I think a lot of it stems from the use of the word "Peloton", like the hardcore roadies just can't handle their precious word being seconded by a fitness company. I don't see the nordic skiing community having the same freak out over Nordic Track!

If you already have a road bike and are really into cycling, then I think a smart trainer and a virtual app like Zwift or Rouvy is a great solution. The pandemic has been an incredible boost in business for those companies plus trainer mfrs like Wahoo, Tacx, Elite, Saris, etc etc.

Me, I'm like our British friend Thisusernameavailable, I prefer to just get it on outdoors as much as possible. I've got a road/gravel setup with full fenders and a good selection of lights, and some relatively quiet country roads not too far away. Shit, my last 4 consecutive rides were either all rain, or at least partially in the rain. Such is life in the PNW. If I'm forced indoors, I have some Kreitler rollers from the mid-90s so I just hit the basement, crank the Metallica and get my spin on. Whenever I go back to riding the rollers I'm always amazed to find how choppy my pedal stroke has become, and how after a couple of weeks I can feel the change in smoothness.
Indy mxer
2/4/2021 10:42am
Bauer wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. I went ahead and ordered the Peleton shortly after posting this, before some of the other suggestions were posted. Hopefully...
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. I went ahead and ordered the Peleton shortly after posting this, before some of the other suggestions were posted. Hopefully I won't regret it. I had thought about buying a trainer, since I already own a pretty sweet road bike. I would get out on my road bike more, but I live at the top of a ridiculously steep climb that I just am not up for at the end of a ride...plus I'm less likely to get ink-blotted by some fucknut in a car if I'm in my bedroom.

What would be really nice is if they had a training instructor that would jump off the screen and kick my ass to get me on the bike. Hopefully the Peleton will be compelling enough to motivate me. I'm also putting together an F1 simulator and I already know which one I'll be more likely to climb onto!
Have fun with it.
As I said earlier, the Peloton isn't meant for cyclists. It's all about cardio and people getting fit.
If you ride hard it will kick your ass, in a good way. And unlike bikes, you can't coast. Obviously lots of people love it.
Hell, my wife was in a live class they do every Sunday. There were over 15K riders in it.

Bottom line is it's getting more people into fitness. Which is a good thing, considering we're one of the most obese countries in the world.
greenmx5
2/4/2021 11:19am
LungButter wrote:
I don't get it honestly, a decent spin bike doesn't cost near that much and there are hundred of hours of FREE spin classes on YouTube...
I don't get it honestly, a decent spin bike doesn't cost near that much and there are hundred of hours of FREE spin classes on YouTube.

To each their own.
Have always shared the same thought. Paid $300 for a schwinn stationary bike. Turn on YouTube and watch old races. It has a few built in programs for what style of training you want. Boggles my mind

The Shop

beamer
2/4/2021 11:37am
We purchased a Peloton just about a year ago and its probably one of the best things i have ever bought.

All kinds of classes ( I'm hooked on the powerzone training), plus strength, stretching, boot camp, etc.

No regrets!
2/4/2021 11:39am
Indoor trainers?? Haha that’s cute! Can’t beat cycling right through a British winter! It’s character building and a test of mental resilience. Al [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/03/476653/s1200_B8EA647D_3747_4136_B671_DC32807E357C.jpg[/img]This bike was...
Indoor trainers?? Haha that’s cute!
Can’t beat cycling right through a British winter! It’s character building and a test of mental resilience. Al This bike was brand new in September and is coping well.

ti473 wrote:
You ever take that thing out of 1st gear?
Well spotted!
That’s driveway cool-down spinning bro, honest.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
2/4/2021 11:44am
No doubt it isn't cheap. But the value is measured in what you're getting out of it I guess. The ROI is different for everyone. We purchased the family deal for both me and my wife to use. Bike+weights+resistance bands+mats. Which we could have certainly purchased individually, but I like the format and availability of different classes on demand. I have the app set up on the TV in my gym/home office and I'm stretching, working out and meditating every morning. I've gotten out shape (at least for my comfort level) and a lot less limber are a few injuries over the years, so it's been with it for us.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
2/4/2021 12:07pm
I sometimes fill in as an instructor for a spin class at a local gym. During the first covid shutdown in our state in March I brought a spin bike home. I had a free Peleton membership for 2 months. I did many classes on my bike instead of a Peleton, I enjoyed some instructors and hated others. Our state shutdown again in November and I took a bike home again but my free Peleton period had ended so I just did my own class by myself. I don't think I would pay that much for their bike or their class.
Indy mxer
2/4/2021 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2021 1:47pm
SKIDLID wrote:
I sometimes fill in as an instructor for a spin class at a local gym. During the first covid shutdown in our state in March I...
I sometimes fill in as an instructor for a spin class at a local gym. During the first covid shutdown in our state in March I brought a spin bike home. I had a free Peleton membership for 2 months. I did many classes on my bike instead of a Peleton, I enjoyed some instructors and hated others. Our state shutdown again in November and I took a bike home again but my free Peleton period had ended so I just did my own class by myself. I don't think I would pay that much for their bike or their class.
Yep. It's not for everyone. Just like anything in life. But a gym membership for me and my wife was more than the subscription for our Peloton. It was just weights and generic treadmills.
philG
2/4/2021 2:19pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Yep. It's not for everyone. Just like anything in life. But a gym membership for me and my wife was more than the subscription for our...
Yep. It's not for everyone. Just like anything in life. But a gym membership for me and my wife was more than the subscription for our Peloton. It was just weights and generic treadmills.
I cant wrap my head around paying to ride your own bike in your own house.
kardy
2/4/2021 4:21pm
Bauer wrote:
Thinking about ordering a bike + setup for home and wondering if anyone has one?
Yo Bauer. My buddy whose opinion I absolutely trust on such matters has had one since spring and won’t shut up about it. Absolutely loves it. I mean, I wouldn’t want one but a washed up old pro like you would probably dig it. KissingKissing
rdrurypi
2/4/2021 5:01pm
Bauer wrote:
Thinking about ordering a bike + setup for home and wondering if anyone has one?
I bought a used commercial V-bike and use it everyday. I then go on Youtube and watch POV MTB trail videos and go to town. It's a great work out. BTW try Spinertainment they have a good video that gives the spin levels and times and it gives you a good workout and some nice video of where MX guys would like to be working out.
Indy mxer
2/4/2021 7:29pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Yep. It's not for everyone. Just like anything in life. But a gym membership for me and my wife was more than the subscription for our...
philG wrote:
I cant wrap my head around paying to ride your own bike in your own house.
Your statement shows you really have no clue what it's about. But to help you, it's like paying to watch your own TV in your own house, which most of us do. You're paying for content.
FalseNeutral
2/4/2021 7:57pm
Not anymore, sold it along with my house to buy $GME
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
2/4/2021 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2021 8:45pm
I ordered the BIKE+.. if you like to spin it's great. I would give it a 4.5 out of 5...

Top 3 things I like about it.

1) Very quiet and stylish, I spin while my wife watches tv in the same room, it's that quiet.
2) Ergos and the cool bike+ auto level resistance worked good for me, I'm 6'2 and the seat was comfortable day one.
3) Endless content to scenery riding, live classes, encore classes and tons of ondemand.

The bad, you might have to wait 3-6 months. I had to wait 4 months after I ordered in Nov 2020. I purchased with the 0% financing for the entire life of the loan so the cost is spread out with no penalty of interest. Not looking forward to paying $40 bucks a month to continue the subscription after a year I think it is.

The subscription of classes can be used by the whole household. I think up to 5 profiles. Not just biking classes.

BTW - Regarding the Norditrak model.. I almost got this model. But the loud motors that controlled the incline/decline were very loud and big distraction by reviewers.
Fraser
2/5/2021 9:01am
Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core and Zwift as previously mentioned is a better way to go. Everyone's heard of peloton as its spent so much advertising, BUT its expensive and limited. If you like spin classes at gym go for it. If you like cycling, then you need to be on Zwift.
408Jeepster
2/5/2021 3:13pm
Fraser wrote:
Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core and Zwift as previously mentioned is a better way to go. Everyone's heard of peloton as its spent so much advertising...
Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core and Zwift as previously mentioned is a better way to go. Everyone's heard of peloton as its spent so much advertising, BUT its expensive and limited. If you like spin classes at gym go for it. If you like cycling, then you need to be on Zwift.
We have had a Peleton Bike and just got the Peleton Bike+ a few weeks ago. Also have a road bike on a wahoo kickr for Zwift. It’s about what you want and what you already have. If you dig spin classes, don’t have a bike or trainer and spin gets you motivated, Peleton is awesome. If you like road cycling and chasing wheels, Zwift. I high end smart trainer and a used cheap road bike will set back as much or more than Peleton if you do not already own these things.

That being said, you CAN side load Zwift onto your Peleton and have the best of both worlds. Since the Peleton doesn’t broadcast your power via ANT+ or Bluetooth you would have to swap pedals for power meter pedals (another $500🙄) or wait for DFC data broadcaster from intellgenetate. As soon as DFC is available my wahoo kickr is going away forever.

DCRAINMAKER just posted an excellent in depth review of the Peleton Bike.
Indy mxer
2/5/2021 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2021 3:42pm
Fraser wrote:
Wahoo Kickr or Kickr Core and Zwift as previously mentioned is a better way to go. Everyone's heard of peloton as its spent so much advertising...
Here's the part you don't get.

The Peloton is NOT about cycling at all!
As I said in a previous post, most of the people who buy a Peloton could give 2 shits about cycling. Now, do some cyclists ride Pelotons? Yes.

But it's all about great cardio, getting fit, and enjoying it.
I just came off a 30 minute ride that totally kicked my ass.

My wife and I love the bike and the wide variety of workouts, I also run and mtb besides moto.
She's 65 and I turn 64 next month.
We're more fit than most people half our age, including our kids. So to us, the price was just an investment in our health
Indy mxer
2/5/2021 3:44pm
Besides we probably need to end this post. The OP bought a Peloton. lol
spimx
2/5/2021 3:45pm

spimx
2/5/2021 3:46pm

Indy mxer
2/5/2021 4:22pm
spimx wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/05/477081/s1200_pelaton_2.jpg[/img]

That second one is actually pretty funny. At least the girl is hot.
But I have to admit, I think the same thing when I see guys road cycling with a beer gut in a skin tight shirt and bike shorts.
Kinda like fat girls in yoga pants. Not good!! lol
ti473
2/5/2021 4:33pm
spimx wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/05/477081/s1200_pelaton_2.jpg[/img]

Indy mxer wrote:
That second one is actually pretty funny. At least the girl is hot. But I have to admit, I think the same thing when I see...
But I have to admit, I think the same thing when I see guys road cycling with a beer gut in a skin tight shirt and bike shorts.
I can tell you there's a lot more beer guts in MX than road cycling. And by the way, you think those fancy pajamas you call gear look any less ridiculous to an outsider than skin tight spandex? Yeah ok
Indy mxer
2/5/2021 4:42pm
spimx wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:
That second one is actually pretty funny. At least the girl is hot. But I have to admit, I think the same thing when I see...
ti473 wrote:
I can tell you there's a lot more beer guts in MX than road cycling. And by the way, you think those fancy pajamas you call...
I can tell you there's a lot more beer guts in MX than road cycling. And by the way, you think those fancy pajamas you call gear look any less ridiculous to an outsider than skin tight spandex? Yeah ok
But the mx guys aren't out in public trying to look like Lance Armstrong. Kinda like wearing a speedo at the beach with a beer gut. Sorry if you're one of them and I offended you. I just find it funny.

ti473
2/5/2021 4:46pm
Indy mxer wrote:
ti473 wrote:
I can tell you there's a lot more beer guts in MX than road cycling. And by the way, you think those fancy pajamas you call...
Indy mxer wrote:
But the mx guys aren't out in public trying to look like Lance Armstrong. Kinda like wearing a speedo at the beach with a beer gut...
But the mx guys aren't out in public trying to look like Lance Armstrong. Kinda like wearing a speedo at the beach with a beer gut. Sorry if you're one of them and I offended you. I just find it funny.

I'm glad you do, carry on
Indy mxer
2/5/2021 4:52pm
ti473 wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
But the mx guys aren't out in public trying to look like Lance Armstrong. Kinda like wearing a speedo at the beach with a beer gut...

ti473 wrote:
I'm glad you do, carry on
Full disclosure, a couple of my best riding buddies don't exactly look like ET in their mx gear, if you know what I mean. LOL!!
cable
2/5/2021 5:21pm
I can see the attraction if your not a cyclist or you dont want your family messing with your bike. Im about to race on zwift on my kurt kinetic fluid trainer, and $500 gravel bike. Do those pelotons have gears? for anyone interested in their conditioning i reccomend doing an FTP test. its torture but then you know if youre gaining fitness a month later
2/6/2021 9:58am
spimx wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:
Poking fun of people trying to better themselves- you sound like a real douche.
bents
Fantasy
694th
2/6/2021 11:53am
Bauer wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. I went ahead and ordered the Peleton shortly after posting this, before some of the other suggestions were posted. Hopefully...
Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. I went ahead and ordered the Peleton shortly after posting this, before some of the other suggestions were posted. Hopefully I won't regret it. I had thought about buying a trainer, since I already own a pretty sweet road bike. I would get out on my road bike more, but I live at the top of a ridiculously steep climb that I just am not up for at the end of a ride...plus I'm less likely to get ink-blotted by some fucknut in a car if I'm in my bedroom.

What would be really nice is if they had a training instructor that would jump off the screen and kick my ass to get me on the bike. Hopefully the Peleton will be compelling enough to motivate me. I'm also putting together an F1 simulator and I already know which one I'll be more likely to climb onto!
Indy mxer wrote:
Have fun with it. As I said earlier, the Peloton isn't meant for cyclists. It's all about cardio and people getting fit. If you ride hard...
Have fun with it.
As I said earlier, the Peloton isn't meant for cyclists. It's all about cardio and people getting fit.
If you ride hard it will kick your ass, in a good way. And unlike bikes, you can't coast. Obviously lots of people love it.
Hell, my wife was in a live class they do every Sunday. There were over 15K riders in it.

Bottom line is it's getting more people into fitness. Which is a good thing, considering we're one of the most obese countries in the world.
Like MotoGeek I financed one for 0% interest and ordered it in October and it didn't arrive until the beginning of January-once they dropped 15% off the price I jumped at it. No ragrets, not even one letter. Like you Indy I have exercised and trained my whole life and my wife and I mtn bike a ton too. The Peleton has been a game changer and our family is making tremendous use of it. I have had my ass royally handed to me on the regular with some of these classes and the variety is awesome. I couldn't recommend this thing highly enough. What price do you put on your health? Especially in this pandemic. You either take care of your health or your sickness will take care of you. I'm 58 and my wife is 49 and the Peleton came at a time when we were struggling to keep the weight off-this past few months have been a tough pandemic chew. The money I am saving on not going to wine store every 3rd day pays for my Peleton and subscription-I'm actually saving money lol!

Not for everyone but we are converts and love it. Some of the best money I have ever spent for us on the fitness front, besides mtn bikes and motocross bikes obviously.

Bauer you will dig it.
Indy mxer
2/6/2021 12:50pm
Bauer wrote:

Indy mxer wrote:
Have fun with it. As I said earlier, the Peloton isn't meant for cyclists. It's all about cardio and people getting fit. If you ride hard...
Have fun with it.

bents wrote:
Like MotoGeek I financed one for 0% interest and ordered it in October and it didn't arrive until the beginning of January-once they dropped 15% off...
Like MotoGeek I financed one for 0% interest and ordered it in October and it didn't arrive until the beginning of January-once they dropped 15% off the price I jumped at it. No ragrets, not even one letter. Like you Indy I have exercised and trained my whole life and my wife and I mtn bike a ton too. The Peleton has been a game changer and our family is making tremendous use of it. I have had my ass royally handed to me on the regular with some of these classes and the variety is awesome. I couldn't recommend this thing highly enough. What price do you put on your health? Especially in this pandemic. You either take care of your health or your sickness will take care of you. I'm 58 and my wife is 49 and the Peleton came at a time when we were struggling to keep the weight off-this past few months have been a tough pandemic chew. The money I am saving on not going to wine store every 3rd day pays for my Peleton and subscription-I'm actually saving money lol!

Not for everyone but we are converts and love it. Some of the best money I have ever spent for us on the fitness front, besides mtn bikes and motocross bikes obviously.

Bauer you will dig it.
Well said. Gald you two are digging the bike. Enjoy the ride!

Post a reply to: Anyone have a Peleton?

The Latest