Anyone have a Peleton?

Bauer
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2021 12:08pm
Thinking about ordering a bike + setup for home and wondering if anyone has one?
|
TeamGreen
2/3/2021 7:58am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 8:07am
The wife got one during the Zombie Apocolypse. She LOVES it. It made up for the the great inconvenience of NOT being able to go to spin.

ZachO got one waaaaaaay back when they 1st came out: he REALLY loves it.
RCMXracing
2/3/2021 8:03am
I checked one out at a hotel fitness center and TBH thought it was overpriced junk. IMHO a better quality stationary or a trainer for a real bike and the Zwift app is the way to go.
yz133rider
2/3/2021 8:06am
I’ve got the concept 2 bikeerg and love it. I use it many times a week and haven’t had a single complaint. Have had it since about the time the apocalypse started.

The Shop

xrmark
2/3/2021 8:09am
My girl just bought one and you know dam well I’ll be the one using it most of the time. Are these really all they’re hyped to be? About another month till it arrives
afk66
2/3/2021 8:12am
Bauer wrote:
Thinking about ordering a bike + setup for home and wondering if anyone has one?
I looked into purchasing one and ended up going with Echelon. I've had it and the subscription service for about 2 years now and the bike has held up well and the classes seem to be be on par with what I've read / seen with peleton. The echelon stuff is also a lot cheaper than peleton which was welcomed as well.
Mossy940
2/3/2021 8:16am
I’ve been on one, and I can not for the life of me understand why people pay the money they do for a Peleton.....But to be fair if you have the cash, why not?

For us, a standard stationary/treadmill and unlimited FREE YouTube classes is the way to go
LungButter
2/3/2021 8:17am
I don't get it honestly, a decent spin bike doesn't cost near that much and there are hundred of hours of FREE spin classes on YouTube.

To each their own.
bacon
2/3/2021 8:19am
RCMXracing wrote:
I checked one out at a hotel fitness center and TBH thought it was overpriced junk. IMHO a better quality stationary or a trainer for a...
I checked one out at a hotel fitness center and TBH thought it was overpriced junk. IMHO a better quality stationary or a trainer for a real bike and the Zwift app is the way to go.
This is good advice.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
2/3/2021 8:22am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 8:24am
Bauer I will add my Wife has the Peloton app for workout classes and with that we also have access to all of the cycling classes. I will do one every once in a while just with my road bike on a trainer. They are fine, but I feel I push a little harder if I'm in a group as opposed to being alone in the garage. (our gyms are open)
2/3/2021 8:25am
i think the monthly subscription is nuts, for the price the trainer videos should be free
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
2/3/2021 8:37am
I've ridden bother the Echelon and Peleton side by side and the riding experience is nearly identical.
Plus why would you subscribe to 39 bucks a month classes when YouTube has classes for free.
Echelon for half the price just makes more sense.
I still like being outside on a real bike better.

2/3/2021 8:40am
It’s a quality product that’s built better than any other stationary bike I’ve ridden. Has helped with my rehab and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

It seems a lot of people that talk shit about it don’t actually own one lol
Philly215
2/3/2021 9:01am
We have one. Use it as a dumb trainer and ride to GCN videos or do like a 30 min ride and treat it as a time trial and hammer it out. Which is cool because there’s an all time leaderboard so it’s motivation to push hard. Sort of like Strava. Haven’t done a single Peloton class.
Indy mxer
2/3/2021 9:06am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 9:38am
We''ve had our Peloton for over 3 years. Wife is over 1100 rides and I'm at 690 (includes cool down rides). Best money we've spent on fitness. I've been running since 1981 and my body was starting to have some aches and pains from all the years of pounding the pavement. My wife was also dealing with an ankle issue from running.

So we bought the bike after much research, to give us a low impact option. What a game changer.
Not only does it work more muscles than running, it's a better workout if you hit it hard. I still run in nice weather, but my wife is about 95% Peloton and runs very little. I run in hot, humid Indiana summer's, but even then I don't sweat like I do on the Peloton. I considered myself very fit, but still lost 6 lbs after we got the bike.

And don't compare to others as a bike. Yes it's high quality, but it's not the bike, it's really all about the content. The instructors (some very hot) are awesome and no other brand has the wide variety of live and on demand rides. They're a little expensive, but it's an investment in your health. Buy one and don't look back.

The Bike+ is even better. We may be upgrading soon.
Lip44
2/3/2021 9:13am
For the money, and considering if you're on this forum you enjoy bikes, a quality indoor trainer and a road/gravel/hybrid/mountain bike with Zwift is a great setup IMO. I use Zwift multiple times a week on my road bike when the weather is shitty, it's a cool user experience. You can join group rides or races if you want or just spin along the roads and find random people to cruise with along the way. If you have a smart trainer, Zwift will automatically control the trainer's resistance and make it feel like you're riding in the real world. It will ease up when you're drafting someone, and will be harder on climbs and when you're going fast in the wind.

You can't take a Peloton bike out on the roads or trails when the weather is nice, but you can get superb workouts with a bike and an indoor trainer, plus you have an actual bike to ride outside. I'm not bashing Peloton, I've used one and it's slick, but you can get a really nice carbon frame gravel bike and a smart trainer for around the same price.

Philly215
2/3/2021 9:16am
I pretty much stopped using the Peloton once I got an EMTB though.
Jesse318pnw
2/3/2021 9:29am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 9:30am
I got one for the wife but now I'm the primary user. I went from "why the hell would you spend money on that" to "it's worth every penny and more". The experience is really good and it's really motivating to jump on each day. The output targets and leaderboard helps me push way harder than I was on my regular spin bike and using the App with the $12.99 subscription.

I lost 25 pounds using it (primarily) and can moto way longer as well.
Indy mxer
2/3/2021 9:36am
Lip44 wrote:
For the money, and considering if you're on this forum you enjoy bikes, a quality indoor trainer and a road/gravel/hybrid/mountain bike with Zwift is a great...
For the money, and considering if you're on this forum you enjoy bikes, a quality indoor trainer and a road/gravel/hybrid/mountain bike with Zwift is a great setup IMO. I use Zwift multiple times a week on my road bike when the weather is shitty, it's a cool user experience. You can join group rides or races if you want or just spin along the roads and find random people to cruise with along the way. If you have a smart trainer, Zwift will automatically control the trainer's resistance and make it feel like you're riding in the real world. It will ease up when you're drafting someone, and will be harder on climbs and when you're going fast in the wind.

You can't take a Peloton bike out on the roads or trails when the weather is nice, but you can get superb workouts with a bike and an indoor trainer, plus you have an actual bike to ride outside. I'm not bashing Peloton, I've used one and it's slick, but you can get a really nice carbon frame gravel bike and a smart trainer for around the same price.

We also MTB quite a bit. I have 2020 Specialized Stumpjumper carbon and my wife has a 2019 Liv carbon full suspension.
Even though she's 65 and I'm 63, we're more active than most people half our age, including our own kids. lol

The cool thing for us with the Peloton is the classes and the leaderboard. Makes indoor exercising much more enjoyable imo.
And It's helped me with my running, mx and mtb.
95s10nj
2/3/2021 10:26am
Lip44 wrote:
For the money, and considering if you're on this forum you enjoy bikes, a quality indoor trainer and a road/gravel/hybrid/mountain bike with Zwift is a great...

This is great advice. I do not see why people buy an expensive Peloton that is still a basic spin bike when you can get a decent road bike with smart trainer and have a much more realistic experience. I ride zwift several times a week during the winter to maintain fitness for road bike racing. There's a ton of workouts available or you can create your own. There's races and timed sections to make the experience fun while still be able to get a great workout in.
Crossup
2/3/2021 10:46am
RCMXracing wrote:
I checked one out at a hotel fitness center and TBH thought it was overpriced junk. IMHO a better quality stationary or a trainer for a...
Yep, spot on. A Wahoo Kicker / Zwift setup is the way to go. (esp for a pro like Bauer) Wink
gt80rider
2/3/2021 11:11am
My wife loves hers.... I am a man though, so my trek fuel ex8 will just have to suffice....
Lukass59
2/3/2021 11:34am
Buy a wahoo kicker and then get a zwift app

A lot of the pros use it too including roczen and AC92
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
2/3/2021 11:43am
Ours is on order. I've been using the app and really like the variety of classes they offer. Meditation, yoga, stretching, strength, cardio, etc. Much more than just a bike and a video. And a large variety of instructors and levels of classes.
c0ncEpT
2/3/2021 12:13pm
I have one on order as well (10 week ETA. Hopefully that's accurate).

Excited to try it. Every single person that I know personally that has one absolutely loves it.
2/3/2021 12:24pm
Indoor trainers?? Haha that’s cute!
Can’t beat cycling right through a British winter! It’s character building and a test of mental resilience. Al This bike was brand new in September and is coping well.

bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
2/3/2021 12:45pm
Don't get sucked into the Peloton hype, Steve! My brother raves about his, but it's a spin bike, plain and simple. There are so many other (and cheaper) options. The only reason I can see you going for it is If you like fitness classes, then maybe it's your bag.

Personally, I'd rather freeze my ass off outside on a real bike (and ride in an actual peloton...when there isn't a pandemic) than get yelled at by a TV screen indoors. Obviously, there's a convenience to having the indoor bike.

Whatever keeps you going and feeling good then by all means, but I do know there are so many other more affordable options out there, including the Bowflex C6 which I've used and is descent.

Post a reply to: Anyone have a Peleton?

The Latest