Anyone have a 6D helmet yet?

activeMX
Edited Date/Time 10/26/2013 5:31pm
I picked up a Fox V4 a few weeks ago and really like the fit. I would like to know how the 6D fits compared to some of the other high-end helmets out there right now.

If the 6D fits like a TLD lid I'll have to pass but if it feels like a Shoei or Fox I'll drop the cash for one for sure.

So anyone who's tried one on or ridden in it, let me know your thoughts.
|
2/18/2013 8:50am
My friend tried Jordon Smith's 6D helmet when he was down at MTF and he said there was no comparison to any other helmet he's tried on. He said it was the most comfortable helmet he has ever worn.
Cammy595
2/18/2013 10:33am
activeMX wrote:
I picked up a Fox V4 a few weeks ago and really like the fit. I would like to know how the 6D fits compared to...
I picked up a Fox V4 a few weeks ago and really like the fit. I would like to know how the 6D fits compared to some of the other high-end helmets out there right now.

If the 6D fits like a TLD lid I'll have to pass but if it feels like a Shoei or Fox I'll drop the cash for one for sure.

That's funny because I love the fit of TLD helmets, I've had several of them. had a fox helmet last year though and thought it was the worst helmet I've ever owned, never again. I guess it all depends on the shape of your head and personal preference
CrazyTed
2/20/2013 3:16pm
Talked to 6D at Indy they said they didn't really have any inventory yet. They rushed what they had displayed at the show out of the factory. Helmets felt great, a little heavier than the light stuff on the market but I believe the safety is worth it. Slightly bigger shell than others.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
2/20/2013 4:24pm
Wonder if they require a rebuild more frequently than a conventional helmet after a few low to medium speed get offs?

I say that due to the thought that could the 2 liners that are separated by the little "shock absorbers" be damaged if one of those shock absorbers might gouge into one or bother the liners?

The Shop

2/20/2013 5:20pm
activeMX wrote:
I picked up a Fox V4 a few weeks ago and really like the fit. I would like to know how the 6D fits compared to...

With what your head has already gone through wouldn't you say one of the cheap Chinese made brands would be good enough? The ama called me and said after watching me ride i don't even need a helmet I'm so good.
CamP
2/20/2013 6:20pm
Anyone know where 6D's manufacturing plant is located?
2/20/2013 6:36pm
Stupid question but is 6D and actual brand or is it a new model of a shoei
activeMX
2/20/2013 7:15pm
activeMX wrote:

With what your head has already gone through wouldn't you say one of the cheap Chinese made brands would be good enough? The ama called me...
With what your head has already gone through wouldn't you say one of the cheap Chinese made brands would be good enough? The ama called me and said after watching me ride i don't even need a helmet I'm so good.
It must be difficult to find a helmet that fits your big head.
activeMX
2/20/2013 7:17pm
CamP wrote:
I might be wrong on the mfg. but I'm pretty sure it's KBC. I do know they are made overseas by one of the top private label mfg. it's been stated in an interview by Bob Weber.
jasonv43
2/20/2013 7:30pm
CamP wrote:
activeMX wrote:
I might be wrong on the mfg. but I'm pretty sure it's KBC. I do know they are made overseas by one of the top private...
I might be wrong on the mfg. but I'm pretty sure it's KBC. I do know they are made overseas by one of the top private label mfg. it's been stated in an interview by Bob Weber.
Now that's interesting.
Frank
2/20/2013 7:50pm
After watching Zach Bell's heat race crash, I must say in 30 years of watching this sport no other rider has taken a head blow like that and got up and raced 2 more moto's after it. I'm 100% sold. Just waiting to buy one at this point.
10/25/2013 5:57pm
Mine came via UPS from BTO Sports about an hour ago. The first thing I noticed was how light it was compared to my $170 Fly helmet - the same helmet that I was wearing in a low speed crash last Saturday night. A crash which resulted in a moderate concussion. As I was saying...hmmm...lost my train of thought.

The helmet bag it comes with is also very nice. At age 52, I'm certain I'm going to like the light weight of the helmet. It seems to be constructed very well, and as an added bonus, has a nice graphic of an F/A-18 on the back - a jet that has put a lot of meat and potatoes on my table.

Price was $745.
cheers_22
10/25/2013 6:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2013 6:25pm
they're ugly ass piss and way over priced.

run nothing but shoei here. cracked one and the face piece. head was fine.
10/25/2013 6:27pm
cheers_22 wrote:

Is yours in the mail?
mynewcr250
10/25/2013 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2013 6:52pm
cheers_22 wrote:

looks would be subjective...i think they look great.

overpriced? compared to what? they dont share the same technology as any other helmet so how can you compare the price?

with that said, i run Shoei, but did try on the 6D at a local shop and it actually fit kind of funky. i didnt know if i could get used to it. may still end up getting one but the Shoei fits so nice. the 6d felt really "disconnected" if you will and felt "short", but i guess thats what makes them work the way they're suppose to?

ive eaten shit in a shoei and not all that bad, ended up with a concussion. who knows what the 6D would of accomplished (or not).
10/25/2013 6:58pm
Fit good on me right out of the box. Like you said, looks are subjective. I would think fit and feel are too - to a point. I don't even really care about looks. To me, it looks pretty much like all the MX helmets out there. It weighed in at just under 3 pounds. My Fly helmet weighed in at just under 5 pounds. That's a huge difference for my old butt.

cheers 22 might be 19 for all I know. I didn't care about concussions when I was younger, but you can bet I do now.
mynewcr250
10/25/2013 7:21pm
Fit good on me right out of the box. Like you said, looks are subjective. I would think fit and feel are too - to a...
Fit good on me right out of the box. Like you said, looks are subjective. I would think fit and feel are too - to a point. I don't even really care about looks. To me, it looks pretty much like all the MX helmets out there. It weighed in at just under 3 pounds. My Fly helmet weighed in at just under 5 pounds. That's a huge difference for my old butt.

cheers 22 might be 19 for all I know. I didn't care about concussions when I was younger, but you can bet I do now.
you should see the laughs i get from friends when i bring out the sunscreen at the track on the really sunny days LOL

it's not manly to prevent skin cancer!
captmoto
10/25/2013 10:53pm
I have a weird head for Shoei. I need a pumpkin head xl shell but a large liner. I can get the large on if I pull the cheek pads off. The 6d large went on and felt great. Real light compared to the Shoei.
davistld01
10/26/2013 6:46am
Mine came via UPS from BTO Sports about an hour ago. The first thing I noticed was how light it was compared to my $170 Fly...
Mine came via UPS from BTO Sports about an hour ago. The first thing I noticed was how light it was compared to my $170 Fly helmet - the same helmet that I was wearing in a low speed crash last Saturday night. A crash which resulted in a moderate concussion. As I was saying...hmmm...lost my train of thought.

The helmet bag it comes with is also very nice. At age 52, I'm certain I'm going to like the light weight of the helmet. It seems to be constructed very well, and as an added bonus, has a nice graphic of an F/A-18 on the back - a jet that has put a lot of meat and potatoes on my table.

Price was $745.
$745? Whaaaaat??!!

Oh well, I guess the old adage about "what is your head worth" comes into place...but, DAMN! Blink
10/26/2013 6:50am
harry backmon, u would be amazed by a shoei to compared to your $170 fly helmet.
MXBREWSKI
10/26/2013 7:12am
I was able to try on the large size 6D, and it fit as well as my THOR Verge size large. I think that the 6D had a better fit, but was not as light as the THOR. Very nice helmet though.
10/26/2013 7:13am
davistld01 wrote:
$745? Whaaaaat??!!

Oh well, I guess the old adage about "what is your head worth" comes into place...but, DAMN! Blink
Yeah, it wasn't cheap. Like I said above, I can't fool around at my age. I really need to have good protection.
10/26/2013 7:14am
harry backmon, u would be amazed by a shoei to compared to your $170 fly helmet.
I've looked at the Shoei, picked them up, ogled them and wanted one - they are great helmets, but I really wanted that low-speed crash protection the 6D offers.
bultokid
10/26/2013 7:39am
I've looked at the Shoei, picked them up, ogled them and wanted one - they are great helmets, but I really wanted that low-speed crash protection...
I've looked at the Shoei, picked them up, ogled them and wanted one - they are great helmets, but I really wanted that low-speed crash protection the 6D offers.
Great info, appreciate it very much. 50 here and have had about 6 concussions between baseball, football and mx. Looking to get new helmet to replace my One Industries and want to try out a 6D. The low speed crash comment caught my attention as I am as slow as I ever was :-) and getting slower
davistld01
10/26/2013 7:40am
davistld01 wrote:
$745? Whaaaaat??!!

Yeah, it wasn't cheap. Like I said above, I can't fool around at my age. I really need to have good protection.
Dude, I'm 55 this year. I crash more now than I ever did...going a lot slower. I totally understand where you're coming from. I've never had a concussion, but I do believe in wearing a good lid (Arai) in case I ever put that record to a test.
10/26/2013 8:18am
bultokid wrote:
Great info, appreciate it very much. 50 here and have had about 6 concussions between baseball, football and mx. Looking to get new helmet to replace...
Great info, appreciate it very much. 50 here and have had about 6 concussions between baseball, football and mx. Looking to get new helmet to replace my One Industries and want to try out a 6D. The low speed crash comment caught my attention as I am as slow as I ever was :-) and getting slower
Yeah, "low-speed." Haha! It's not what you think. If I understood correctly what I read, most MX crashes resulting in concussions are classed as low-speed crashes. Why? Turns out helmets are really designed to meet impacts for street riders going way faster than we go on MX bikes. Those crashes typically involve cars, curbs, street surfaces and other things we as MXers do not come in contact with (usually). Basically, most crashes on an MX track are considered to be a low-speed crash.

6D researched this and sought to build a helmet for MX that protected in both low-speed and high-speed crashes. Last week, in my crash, I was in a real sandy turn when I went down. Deep sand. Normally, the track is well-worn when I get on it. Well, last week I was one of the first riders out there. There was no line when I came into the turn and I couldn't make up my mind fast enough as to how I wanted to approach this unfamiliar situation in this particular deep, sandy turn. I ended up falling probably going something like 10-15 MPH. I just sort of rode the bike onto its left side into the sand. When I hit, I turned my back towards the front and my head smacked the ground on the back left side. I remember thinking, "Man, that was a hard hit for just kind of riding the bike down into the dirt at such a low speed."

Anyhow, good luck with your helmet selection. The 6D size chart was right for me. My giant freak head measured in at 22.5 inches. Size chart said "Large," albeit barely. That's what I got, and it fits fine.
10/26/2013 8:23am
davistld01 wrote:
Dude, I'm 55 this year. I crash more now than I ever did...going a lot slower. I totally understand where you're coming from. I've never had...
Dude, I'm 55 this year. I crash more now than I ever did...going a lot slower. I totally understand where you're coming from. I've never had a concussion, but I do believe in wearing a good lid (Arai) in case I ever put that record to a test.
I think us 50+ types are the vast majority of riders out there these days. Not really, but I was really surprised last year when I got back into it and saw how many guys out there were my age and older. Shocked, really. Back in my first go round, we had ONE guy that was 40-something coming out to the FMC races with regularity. We were all like, "Wow, gramps, good ride."

LaughingLaughingLaughingWoohoo
Dr Wario
10/26/2013 11:09am
I just bought a 6D (green/blue Hornet). I actually think it looks much better in person than online. Purchased at my local dealer, the prices (MSRP) are basically all the same right now so supporting your local shop shouldn't be a problem.

For me, the helmet fits fantastic. I wear a Shoei medium and the sizing for the 6D is about the same. The fit feels more like a Bell Moto 9 to me, though not exactly the same

Post a reply to: Anyone have a 6D helmet yet?

The Latest