Anyone had the same femur injury?

Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2019 7:14am
Long story short had a pretty good wreck and bike hit me with alot of force in a awkward position. I've seen broken femurs with rods and such but never this. The doctor almost recommended a new hip at 22yrs old but said we would try this first so it has me curious. This was the first x-ray about 30 minutes after the wreck.

And this was the x-ray after surgery.

|
racer187x
9/14/2019 2:16pm
Ouch!!

I broke both my left and right femurs a few years apart. One was external fixator, the other was plate and screws. Much further down on the bone (closer to the knee). Heal up fast!
Motoxdoc
9/14/2019 2:26pm
I don’t know but I have a 56 yo friend who had double hip replacement surgery about 4-5 years ago and now he’s practice riding at local motocross tracks two or three times a week....doing doubles and tables and riding better than ever...and pain free.
9/14/2019 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2019 2:33pm
That’s a proximal femoral fracture. I did the same thing to my humerus. The shoulder and hip joints are both “ball and socket” joints. You busted the ball. The difficult part is whether any damage was done to the socket (aka acetabulum). Both joints have a labrum that, if torn, can cause a lot of discomfort down the road.

The hip is weight bearing. Take your doctors and physical therapists direction on when to bear weight and how to recover. If the recovery is anything like a proximal humerus fracture, it will not be pleasant.
9/14/2019 2:36pm
racer187x wrote:
Ouch!! I broke both my left and right femurs a few years apart. One was external fixator, the other was plate and screws. Much further down...
Ouch!!

I broke both my left and right femurs a few years apart. One was external fixator, the other was plate and screws. Much further down on the bone (closer to the knee). Heal up fast!
An external fixator on the femur is painful to put up with. The plate and screws was much better

The Shop

Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 2:40pm
That’s a proximal femoral fracture. I did the same thing to my humerus. The shoulder and hip joints are both “ball and socket” joints. You busted...
That’s a proximal femoral fracture. I did the same thing to my humerus. The shoulder and hip joints are both “ball and socket” joints. You busted the ball. The difficult part is whether any damage was done to the socket (aka acetabulum). Both joints have a labrum that, if torn, can cause a lot of discomfort down the road.

The hip is weight bearing. Take your doctors and physical therapists direction on when to bear weight and how to recover. If the recovery is anything like a proximal humerus fracture, it will not be pleasant.
The doctor who done the surgery said I would have full mobility and as of now which is 4 weeks since the wreck i can pick my leg up and move it around laying down but absolutely no weight bearing for 6 weeks. Just had a 3 week checkup to get staples removed and he said it looked good so far. I'm just hoping once i am to the point of weight bearing it doesent hurt me so bad i cant walk normally. I'll definately be listening to the doctor on this one.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 2:43pm
Doc said 6 weeks no weight bearing. And said I'd be out 4-5 months. He said if everything goes right which I just had my 3 week checkup wednesday and he said it's good so far I wont be needing a hip. Hopefully. He said he has no info to give me on how long this will last since hes never seen it in a person my age. So basically just hoping for the best at this point lol.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 2:44pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
I don’t know but I have a 56 yo friend who had double hip replacement surgery about 4-5 years ago and now he’s practice riding at...
I don’t know but I have a 56 yo friend who had double hip replacement surgery about 4-5 years ago and now he’s practice riding at local motocross tracks two or three times a week....doing doubles and tables and riding better than ever...and pain free.
The doctor a surgeon's told me with as young as I am they dont want to do a hip replacement unless necessary. He said with me doing construction work and being normal 22yr old it would last me maybe 6-7yrs before I needed a new one. Hopefully it doesent have to go to that point.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 2:47pm
That’s a proximal femoral fracture. I did the same thing to my humerus. The shoulder and hip joints are both “ball and socket” joints. You busted...

With that said though they were only going to do the 2 screws. But the small bone from my femur to the hip socket was broke in 3 places. Not 2 like they thought. That's why they ended up putting the plates in to secure what the original 2 screws were going to.
9/14/2019 2:49pm
Breaking the genital neck is a common injury in older people suffering with osteoporosis. I believe they get a new hip right away.

I busted my femur. Had a pin put through the centre of the bone with a screw at each end. That was twenty years ago. It’s been no problem until this past year or so... butt cheek ache!! I’ll need a hip replacement before I’m 50.
jtmaster
9/14/2019 2:50pm

Actually it is a femoral neck fracture. There are a couple ways to stabilize it (open reduction internal fixation). The hip pinning (which is what was done), the dynamic hip screw or a short tro-fix
At your young age, I would think a total hip replacement would not be recommended unless the acetabulum was affected. Otherwise you will just need a total hip revision down the road when it wears out.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 3:00pm
jtmaster wrote:
Actually it is a femoral neck fracture. There are a couple ways to stabilize it (open reduction internal fixation). The hip pinning (which is what was...
Actually it is a femoral neck fracture. There are a couple ways to stabilize it (open reduction internal fixation). The hip pinning (which is what was done), the dynamic hip screw or a short tro-fix
At your young age, I would think a total hip replacement would not be recommended unless the acetabulum was affected. Otherwise you will just need a total hip revision down the road when it wears out.
The doctors said everything was good except for the break in the bone. I've never seen so many speechless doctors after seeing or reviewing the papers. The wild thing is as bad as this is I didnt break or even bruise anything else on my body. Didnt even get a concussion. We thought it was dislocated at first because I walked to the truck on it and into a wheelchair at the hospital. Dont get me wrong I almost pissed my pants from the pain but it wasnt like I was dying.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 3:02pm
Breaking the genital neck is a common injury in older people suffering with osteoporosis. I believe they get a new hip right away. I busted my...
Breaking the genital neck is a common injury in older people suffering with osteoporosis. I believe they get a new hip right away.

I busted my femur. Had a pin put through the centre of the bone with a screw at each end. That was twenty years ago. It’s been no problem until this past year or so... butt cheek ache!! I’ll need a hip replacement before I’m 50.
I know the ache you speak of lol. With this one I fully expect to have a hip replacement before I'm 50. If not way sooner than that. It sucks but that's just the way it goes with a oops in this sport.
lhthread
9/14/2019 6:04pm
12 years ago I had a very similar break to this while road racing. I was 39. The doctor told me I'd devastated my hip, would have a hard time walking again, etc. I was pretty angry at him for saying that, when he hadn't even operated yet and I needed to stay as positive and calm as possible. However, he did a great job pinning me back together. Not a people person, that guy, but a good mechanic! Like you, there was a long period of no weight bearing, then a chair, crutches, and finally a cane. It took me about 3 or 3 1/2 months to walk with nothing. It is a difficult break, and you have to be patient. You need to do all the physical therapy you can. Even though I could walk, I was so weak and my range of motion was pathetic. But in time, I gained a lot back. It has never been quite the same again, but of all the aches and pains from old injuries, this one doesn't bother me. I still stretch my hip and do exercises to keep it strong in all planes of motion. Maybe I'll need a new hip one day, but at 51 I'm doing fine. I feel for you. Hang in there. Take it real easy, but be persistent in building that hip back up. You are young and will recover.
Forty
9/14/2019 6:11pm
Dammmmn. At 22 that’s a big hit. But at 22 you stand the best chance of riding it out for many years. Start budgeting for a new hip. By the time you need one it will be a office visit.
Brentyancich
9/14/2019 6:14pm
I believe Adam Etnicknapps supercross cross crash was a similar break . Good luck with the recovery. Mine was traditional rod & screws . Wish I had the rod removed 24-36 months post operation. It bothers me pretty frequently I had screw above knee removed but that didn't solve the problem.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 6:17pm
lhthread wrote:
12 years ago I had a very similar break to this while road racing. I was 39. The doctor told me I'd devastated my hip, would...
12 years ago I had a very similar break to this while road racing. I was 39. The doctor told me I'd devastated my hip, would have a hard time walking again, etc. I was pretty angry at him for saying that, when he hadn't even operated yet and I needed to stay as positive and calm as possible. However, he did a great job pinning me back together. Not a people person, that guy, but a good mechanic! Like you, there was a long period of no weight bearing, then a chair, crutches, and finally a cane. It took me about 3 or 3 1/2 months to walk with nothing. It is a difficult break, and you have to be patient. You need to do all the physical therapy you can. Even though I could walk, I was so weak and my range of motion was pathetic. But in time, I gained a lot back. It has never been quite the same again, but of all the aches and pains from old injuries, this one doesn't bother me. I still stretch my hip and do exercises to keep it strong in all planes of motion. Maybe I'll need a new hip one day, but at 51 I'm doing fine. I feel for you. Hang in there. Take it real easy, but be persistent in building that hip back up. You are young and will recover.
Okay well that's good to hear. I haven't found anyone with the same injury or close to mine. Doctor basically told me the same exact thing. When I was released after surgery he told me I could bend my leg and move it around in bed without pressure straight down. Which I've almost got full motion pulling my knee back up and the doc seemed really impressed after 3 weeks. He said keep doing what I'm doing and after 5 more weeks of the same thing I'll see him again. I've had quite a few injuries and seen alot but nothing this severe for longterm. So I'm glad to hear that. I'm definately listening to the doctor on this one though.
pete24
9/14/2019 6:41pm

I got this injury when I was 37 healed fine I still race it doesn't bother me, I think breaking bones is much better than joint or tissue damage
good luck in your recovery
Sierra Ranger
9/14/2019 6:48pm
I had a very similar break. I ran three big screws in there for about 10 years. They told me I would probably need a new hip eventually, and they were right. What happened with me was avascular necrosis- bone died.
That's a lot of hardware. It seems likely you will need a new hip at some point but the good news is you will feel much better. But now I am so active I am fairly certain I will wear this one out (I'm 52 and got my hip in my late 40s). I'm still doing occasional moto, trail riding and mountain biking.
I advise to go as long as you can, and if it really bothers you get the hip in the future. They are advancing all the time with the materials and techniques.
RP909
9/14/2019 7:29pm
My friend is going through the exact same injury. He broke his back in May and was allowed to walk about 2 weeks or 3 ago. The only thing the doctors are worried about is the "head" of the femur dying. Apparently it takes around a year before they will know or not, and if it dies then he needs to get a half replacement.
Mocaby_24
9/14/2019 8:07pm
RP909 wrote:
My friend is going through the exact same injury. He broke his back in May and was allowed to walk about 2 weeks or 3 ago...
My friend is going through the exact same injury. He broke his back in May and was allowed to walk about 2 weeks or 3 ago. The only thing the doctors are worried about is the "head" of the femur dying. Apparently it takes around a year before they will know or not, and if it dies then he needs to get a half replacement.
Yep. That's what they told me. He said its risky but basically it's all we can do at this point. And hope the bone doesent die. If it does than we talk hip replacement and my options. So far hes told me for a fact absolutely no weight bearing for 8 weeks. So well see how it goes after the 8 weeks.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
9/14/2019 8:49pm
My buddy just did this same break in a mtb crash 2 weeks ago. He is 60 yrs old but a very gnarly 60 yr old! When they went in to operate they just cut the head off and did a "half hip replacement" (fake head but OEM socket, lol). Doc explained that he didn't want to run the risk of the bone dying and having to do this again in a year or less. He also said as long as you keep the OEM socket you have a much better chance of not wearing the hip out as the fake socket is the part that wears out since it non-organic and doesn't generate lubrication and heal damage, etc. Told him he has a good chance at his age he'll never need this replaced.

Anyway, they had him up and weight bearing a few hours after the surgery and within 2 days he was walking laps around the house (with a walker just for precaution) and going to physical therapy appointments. He only took percs for 1 or 2 days and now takes 200mg motrin, 1 in morning and 1 at night. I have been amazed how fast he's recovering. Seems the 1/2 replacement was a good deal for him.
BMR179
Fantasy
1240th
9/15/2019 4:44am
I broke my femur mid shaft almost 20 yrs ago. After going home from surgery with a nice titanium rod, my hip hurt like a MFer. 10 days later at follow up visit with Dr., he took another xray and the neck was also cracked (not as bad as yours). He said he may have cracked it pounding the rod into the femur. They didn't have to plate mine, just three screws. No weight bearing for 8 weeks. Hip is good most of the time now, but every now and then I get an ache or a little twinge of pain. I've been riding ever since and am going riding today. Follow your Dr.'s advice on weight bearing.
Hopefully yours heals good.
austin_bo
Fantasy
160th
9/15/2019 4:58am
Motoxdoc wrote:
I don’t know but I have a 56 yo friend who had double hip replacement surgery about 4-5 years ago and now he’s practice riding at...
Mocaby_24 wrote:
The doctor a surgeon's told me with as young as I am they dont want to do a hip replacement unless necessary. He said with me...
The doctor a surgeon's told me with as young as I am they dont want to do a hip replacement unless necessary. He said with me doing construction work and being normal 22yr old it would last me maybe 6-7yrs before I needed a new one. Hopefully it doesent have to go to that point.
It’s always best to avoid joint replacements when there are alternatives. Your doctor made the right call, and I think you’ll be back to 100% in no time with the right PT and a good amount of patience.

That said, it was unavoidable for my 29 y/o wife to have both of her hips replaced this past year. She had arguably one of the best doctors in the northeast (UPenn), and he informed her that the new materials they’re using are predicted to last a very long time. Historically, prosthetic hips last 15-20 years, but the new materials are estimated to last 8 times that when tested in a simulator. Obviously, real time will tell, but should you eventually need a full hip replacement, I would expect it to last much longer than 6 years, even with heavy use.
racer187x
9/15/2019 7:07am
Something seldom talked about is breaking up scar tissue. When doing PT ask about it and work it into your therapy. Nobody said anything about scar tissue when I broke my first femur. Consequently, range of motion in that knee is less than my other. Massaging the scar site routinely may hurt but breaking up the scar tissue will save you a lot of grief later.
jtmaster
9/15/2019 7:14am
The latest technology, as far as I know anyway, for total hips is to do the surgery with an anterior approach. We have a few ortho surgeons where I work that have been doing it with that technique. It is supposedly a faster recovery time due to not cutting or going through as much muscle.
nytsmaC
9/15/2019 2:56pm

Proximal humerus club! How's yours? Mine was dreary, the doc's painted a pretty bleak picture but after a year and a half it's better than I was expecting.

Injuries like these are brutal and after going through it I sure have a lot more empathy for everyone that goes through this stuff. Get well soon OP, and take your physical therapy seriously! This shit takes a long time to heal and it's easy to get discouraged but the more you put in the work the faster the recovery process will go. Once you can bear weight on it try to stay as active as possible, that's what worked best for me.
MXMattii
9/15/2019 3:23pm
Cyclist Bart De Clercq had almost the same injury, the problem is that you need to put those screws through the neck of your hip, that makes that the blood flow sometimes isn't as optimal as wanted and then your injury won't heal up. But fingers crossed that it will and then you don't need a hip replacement. The hips these days are as good as the real ones. If it doesn't heal up they will get you a Tapor-Lock (or other brand but look a like) hip and then you're settled for normal life and even riding, as long you don't crash.

Because crashing with a hip replacement in your body isn't healthy like you see in this picture.

Post a reply to: Anyone had the same femur injury?

The Latest