Anyone else use Mountain Bike training for Moto?

Hey Guys,

Got a question. Me and my buddy ride the 30+ class at our local series, we both like to mountain bike for training but we have different theories on how to do it and I just wanted to see how everyone else does it.

We only race 4 laps which ends up being about 8 minutes on the track. When it comes to mountain biking I think we are good doing lower milage at a high intensity, my buddy thinks we need to do higher milage at a lower intensity.

Any thoughts?
|
ktm212
7/20/2017 6:34am
only thread number 493 on this topic.. just keep pedaling. Have fun, it doesn't matter how you do it, just do it.
7/20/2017 6:38am
ktm212 wrote:
only thread number 493 on this topic.. just keep pedaling. Have fun, it doesn't matter how you do it, just do it.
My bad. When I searched it most topics were "MTN Bike vs Road Bike" or "Which Bike Should I get" Trying to settle a friendly disagreement with a friend.
tingo
7/20/2017 7:13am
I think that Tomac guy does.
Swann
7/20/2017 7:26am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2017 7:35am
Cardio is cardio. Make it as fun and enjoyable as possible because cardio generally sucks. Mountain bikes don't suck.

On any given day in and around Orange County you'll find a whole cadre of pros mountain biking. My buddy does a night series out there and pros are always showing up: Martin bros, Seely, Tickle, Anderson, Johnny O is a big time mtn biker (and really good for an old man). It's a big part of his training regimen.

The Shop

7/20/2017 8:05am
I think you're both right!
As in, you need to keep your training varied. Varied efforts. I road cycle a lot, I've learnt a lot in three years about different training regimes.
The first year I cycled, I got in to a routine- set days, set distances, set effort levels and whilst it was better than nothing, I sure noticed a difference when something out of the ordinary came along.
I now try to make sure I fit these three sessions in per week:
A strength ride- huge hill climbing, for around an hour.
Max HR for anerobic- I race at the velodrome on Wednesday nights or my cycle club chain gang ride.
Easy and long- social ride with friends. (Usually with a few efforts)

Anything else is a bonus.
7/20/2017 10:18am
I think you're both right! As in, you need to keep your training varied. Varied efforts. I road cycle a lot, I've learnt a lot in...
I think you're both right!
As in, you need to keep your training varied. Varied efforts. I road cycle a lot, I've learnt a lot in three years about different training regimes.
The first year I cycled, I got in to a routine- set days, set distances, set effort levels and whilst it was better than nothing, I sure noticed a difference when something out of the ordinary came along.
I now try to make sure I fit these three sessions in per week:
A strength ride- huge hill climbing, for around an hour.
Max HR for anerobic- I race at the velodrome on Wednesday nights or my cycle club chain gang ride.
Easy and long- social ride with friends. (Usually with a few efforts)

Anything else is a bonus.
Thank you. That is what I was looking for.
51xc
7/20/2017 10:53am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2017 10:55am
well, 8 min of racing has nothing to do with endurance. I'd rather do some running or rowing intervalls 2-3 a week for that sort of fitness. it's way more time efficent and you have more time for some fun mtb rides.
7/20/2017 11:49am
Buy a Polar M400 with heart rate monitor, less than $150 shipped from Amazon. Read up on training zones. The advice of "just pedal" is a bit limited.
RCMXracing
7/20/2017 11:53am
4 lap motos. That is what's wrong with amateur racing. Too many classes, not enough race time to have any fitness come into play, let alone picking way through pack if you got a bad start.
MTB rules for Moto. Agree, just doing it, no matter how, especially on hot days is excellent cross training. Personally, I would rather spend that time riding Moto, but if I don't have the time less overhead for MTB if you have a close trail.

Post a reply to: Anyone else use Mountain Bike training for Moto?

The Latest