Anyone else remember Missy Giove?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2018 5:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 6:01 AM

Pretty sure she's one of the few women who ever had a hi flyers mx card (possibly the only one)

She was a mid 90s mtb psycho..... Pretty much like that one crossover dude.... But a girl.

She was head and shoulders ahead of women of her Era I believe.....

Then she just disappears.

You can always count on vice to do good investigative journalism.
">

|

11/29/2018 6:04 AM

that's crazy! I actually was a sponsored DH rider from 14-20. She was well known when I was racing.

|

11/29/2018 6:38 AM

Yes, I remember him.

|

11/29/2018 6:44 AM

I think she got caught up in drug running.....remember her getting arrested somewhere pretty close to where I live in Upstate....I could be wrong ....

|

11/29/2018 6:48 AM

Giving Vice credit for this is a stretch. It has been well-known and talked about for years that she got into a mess and did time.

She showed up in Windham NY for the UCI World Cup in 2015 and I believe she did practice on a borrowed bike
https://www.redbull.com/au-en/videos/missy-giove-windham-world-cup-qualifying-2015

|

11/29/2018 6:49 AM

sandman768 wrote:

I think she got caught up in drug running.....remember her getting arrested somewhere pretty close to where I live in ...more

Yep, in Albany: https://www.bikemag.com/blog/missy-giove-mountain-biker-arrested-following-massive-pot-bust/

|

11/29/2018 6:56 AM

Damn, she was moving some crazy weight there....

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

11/29/2018 6:57 AM

I remember her mooning everyone from the chairlift at Snowshoe national years ago, she was funny.

|

11/29/2018 7:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 7:11 AM

sandman768 wrote:

I think she got caught up in drug running.....remember her getting arrested somewhere pretty close to where I live in ...more

drugs you say?

Ohhh, you mean marijuana.

I don’t care for the stuff myself but “transporting” pot doesn’t exactly qualify you as a hardened drug lord in my book. lawbreaker, yes.

|

11/29/2018 7:18 AM

What I took from all of that: How TF did she only get time-served (which I assume was less than a year) and house arrest for transportation and distribution of that magnitude of drugs?

|

11/29/2018 7:24 AM

sandman768 wrote:

observeroffacts wrote:

drugs you say?

I don’t care for the stuff myself but “transporting” pot doesn’t exactly qualify ...more

400 lbs? blink wasn't that long hair dude Clifford (sp) involved?

|

11/29/2018 7:28 AM

sandman768 wrote:

observeroffacts wrote:

drugs you say?

I don’t care for the stuff myself but “transporting” pot doesn’t exactly qualify ...more

400 pounds is a lot of hooch.

|

11/29/2018 7:44 AM

sandman768 wrote:

observeroffacts wrote:

drugs you say?

lol.

They had a million in cash and hid it in the closet! I can't believe the cops found it, the closet is such a good hiding place.

|

11/29/2018 7:44 AM

Great rabbit-hole to fall through with Missy - loved the stories and videos. She seems like an awesome person to hang out with, man I bet she has some stories!

|

11/29/2018 7:49 AM

DoctorJD wrote:

What I took from all of that: How TF did she only get time-served (which I assume was less than a year) and house arrest for ...more

Likely rolled on higher-ups would be my guess...

|

11/29/2018 7:57 AM

seth505 wrote:

I remember her mooning everyone from the chairlift at Snowshoe national years ago, she was funny.

She signed my ass with a magic marker at a Norba National lol I remember her girl friends being very manly lookingshocked

|

11/29/2018 7:58 AM

She is a badass. Shaun Palmer was cool too

|

11/29/2018 8:41 AM

BB67 wrote:

Yes, I remember him.

Congrats on the lamest answer.

|

11/29/2018 8:49 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

I was covering mountain bike racing in that era, and they were easily two of the most colorful characters around.

Every year at the Mt. Snow NORBA National, there would be a nude criterium next to the campground where a lot of the local riders stayed. I remember Missy participating in that one year.

At a NORBA National in Big Bear, Shaun won the downhill event, and busted out a gold lamé suit that his mom had made for the podium. He also had a bad-ass Prevost bus with checkered flag and flame graphics.

MX and SX could use some characters like that.

Oh, and that was all pre-internet era.

|

11/29/2018 8:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 8:58 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

GuyB wrote:

I was covering mountain bike racing in that era, and they were easily two of the most colorful characters around.

Every year ...more

Holy crap, you were around for the VT naked crits? I just got into downhill around that time and started doing those norba nationals.

|

11/29/2018 9:04 AM

GuyB wrote:

Every year ...more

MX/SX had JLaw, and now we have Ronnie Mac. unsure

Steve, do you suppose the so called growth of SX/MX hinders the emergence of characters like Palm/Missy? Even in Mtn Biking, things have simmered down. I guess Cedric Gracia is the last of the colorful personalities.

Anyway, I think Missy is a total badass. She was giving zero F's before it was thing.

|

11/29/2018 9:06 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Every year ...more

but did she wear the pirannah???

|

11/29/2018 9:54 AM

Not sure if it's really him but the guy she was arrested with posted in the comments:

Eric Canori
1 day ago (edited)
I paid her 60k to drive the load and then she tricked me and subbed the job out to her massage therapist for 3k, even after I told her she couldn’t sub the job out. Missy did 3days in jail and then gave me and a few others up. That was her role in the operation. I made the mistake of hiring a Greenhorn

|

11/29/2018 10:07 AM

Photo
|

11/29/2018 10:13 AM

sandman768 wrote:

observeroffacts wrote:

drugs you say?

Ya, I agree, I was not sure how to word it...where I grew up smoking pot was part of our culture, not much different than having a beer....

|

11/29/2018 10:20 AM

Excaliburbmx wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Every year ...more

TJ 755 wrote:

but did she wear the pirannah???

Yes, she was wearing it as a necklace. Too many crashes and concussions ruined her career, I still remember Vail in 2001, that was brutal!
I liked the Cannondale era but her Foes DHS Mono from the Global Racing Team was such a rad bike!

|

11/29/2018 10:30 AM

She was bad ass ! ?

|

Born in Prague,living in LA,so if you don't like my spelling,blow me!

21 CRF450R
16 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
17 Yamaha MT-10 FZ-10 165 Hp RWP
06 CRF450X street legal supermoto
96 CR250R smoker
2012 CR500AF
2003 KLX110 mod

11/29/2018 10:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 10:37 AM

Missy the Missle ! So rad growing up watching her crush it against ACC. DH and MX needs more characters!
Who else raced NORBAs at Mt Snow ? Best DH track so nasty!

|

11/29/2018 10:32 AM

DoctorJD wrote:

What I took from all of that: How TF did she only get time-served (which I assume was less than a year) and house arrest for ...more

They received over 13 mill in cash and gold bars so they got their money out of it ha

|

11/29/2018 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 10:43 AM

seth505 wrote:

Holy crap, you were around for the VT naked crits? I just got into downhill around that time and started doing those norba ...more

Yep. What's funny is that even super-fit elite athletes don't look all that great naked while riding bikes. wink

The races were pretty comical, though.

|