Anyone else miss the US Open?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/11/2018 6:25 AM

I know by its end the race had run its course but honestly I much preferred the super tight confines of the MGM Grand with the top SX riders over the wide open, super fast MEC.

|

10/11/2018 6:28 AM

Yes and no

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/11/2018 6:39 AM

Atmosphere was awesome. Track was a bit tiny. Loved how the MGM would be nothing but moto people everywhere. Good times.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

10/11/2018 6:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2018 6:42 AM

Funny you brought this up, I just watched the 2001 or 2002 race over again Monday and thought the same thing. It did jump out at me that how much smaller the track lanes were but man it was some good racing (the tunnel part was neat as well) . It helped that it had some big names like MC, RC (new on the Honda) , KW, TP, BROWN, etc.... (note: maybe it was because of the 2 strokes....)

|

why does Kermit's fingers always smell like pork?

10/11/2018 7:21 AM

Yes, such a cool event. Taxi to the MGM and never leave again until time to fly home. Having the entire moto community take over the MGM was awesome.

|

10/11/2018 7:32 AM

I miss the 2 strokes.

|

10/11/2018 7:53 AM

I miss the late 90s/early 2000s. Two strokes, personalities, custom helmets and yes, even kidney belts.

It seems I'm not alone. I wonder when and if the industry will ever realize this and try to recreate it in some way.

|

10/11/2018 8:00 AM

Yes, dearly. Luckily the MEC is just different enough from a normal SX race

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

10/11/2018 8:59 AM

The event was such a blast to attend in person. The pits were especially laid back and accessible. I ran into more riders and people in the industry in the pits at that event than every other supercross I've ever attended combined. Which has been dozens over the years. Nothing like it since. Just pure fun.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

10/11/2018 9:27 AM

Such a cool race. Miss it!

Photo

|

From dirt bikes to dirty strikes! Bowl on PBA tour @wozbowls. Oh...and I'm MXPTV.

10/11/2018 9:36 AM

Heck yeah... I would drink at the bar in NYNY right by the bridge that goes to MGM and then weave over to watch the race! Funny thing is I still like that bar and had a couple with my brother last weekend there... good times!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2006 KX250

10/11/2018 9:36 AM

I miss the two night event yes. We went every years less the very first one. I made a couple of those tracks for MCM2 I think?

|

10/11/2018 9:40 AM

If it was still at MGM I would never miss a year ! So much better !

|

10/11/2018 9:54 AM

SPODEBOY wrote:

I miss the two night event yes. We went every years less the very first one. I made a couple of those tracks for MCM2 I think?

Spode, could those be replicated in some way MESX or no?

Yeah, I much preferred it. I'll take MEC I guess but I just don't like fast, wide open simple tracks.

|

10/11/2018 11:05 AM

I went in 07 when the Reed/Ferry event happened. Such a fun time. Very unique event with so much energy.

To me, they really need to do something with the Monster Cup track. It's just so flat. This year has a half of a rhythm section. I get that it is so there is nothing to separate the riders and keep them closer, but if something doesn't change, the MEC is quickly running it's course as well.

|

10/11/2018 11:55 AM

I went to the first three,was a blast.Don't remember which year but Bubba was on a mini and jumping a big double in practice and the track crew was making a chicane out of tuff blocks to keep the kids from attempting it,but Bubba just kept doing it so the crew would make the chicane tighter but Bubba still would clear it,the crew finally gave up moved the tuff blocks of the course and let have at it. Was a fun event.

|

10/11/2018 1:06 PM

I went to the first one. Yes it was cool to walk thru the MGM and see riders walking through and other personalities. I only remember one thing about that race and that was Ricky Carmichael being lowered from the the top with a crown on and people booing him because "Jeremy was still the King" at that time. Never went to another one.

|

10/11/2018 1:22 PM

mxcat324 wrote:

I went to the first one. Yes it was cool to walk thru the MGM and see riders walking through and other personalities. I only remember one thing about that race and that was Ricky Carmichael being lowered from the the top with a crown on and people booing him because "Jeremy was still the King" at that time. Never went to another one.

Ok, so what year was that? I actually never saw that but I heard all about it. Would love to see it.

Not at the Open but I remember when RC got booed like hell for taking out Travis, though that one was a bit of a gray area, imo.

|

10/11/2018 1:26 PM

I totally miss the US Open. Such a great atmosphere. MEC is ok but just too much wide open straight aways and not much on the way of technical sections, obviously tamed down for the other riders.

Joker lane is cool but I almost think you need two. One faster, one slower and none open till after lap 3. To be effective it really needs to mix things up.

|

10/11/2018 1:43 PM

I miss the US OPEN as well! Great atmosphere all weekend!

|

10/11/2018 1:57 PM

flatout111 wrote:

I know by its end the race had run its course but honestly I much preferred the super tight confines of the MGM Grand with the top SX riders over the wide open, super fast MEC.

I loved that event. Best race out of all the races during the entire year to attend, IMHO. I met a lot of famous people at that race... Or should I say they met me????

|

10/11/2018 2:09 PM

We went 98,99,00, and 01. Then randomly we went to the last US Open in 2009 where yogi came outta retirement for the night.

As much as I loved being there again in 09, I knew it had ran its course. From what I recall the stadium was half full at best.

O and that’s also the year James did a quad-quad that only Bubba could pull off. Got terrible starts and still absolutely WAXED everyone

|

shit'll buff out

10/11/2018 2:27 PM

well my memory is not that great but according to RACERX Vault the first one was in 1998.

|

10/11/2018 2:45 PM

If it was the MGM/US Open or race at a strip location, I would be going to Vegas this weekend. Instead, I'm happy to be home on the couch.

|

Race Tech Director of Marketing
www.racetech.com
Proud supporters of VitalMX. Ask me about the VitalMX Discount!

10/11/2018 2:46 PM

moscrop940 wrote:

We went 98,99,00, and 01. Then randomly we went to the last US Open in 2009 where yogi came outta retirement for the night.

As much as I loved being there again in 09, I knew it had ran its course. From what I recall the stadium was half full at best.

O and that’s also the year James did a quad-quad that only Bubba could pull off. Got terrible starts and still absolutely WAXED everyone

That was the one and only one I ever made it too. If I remember correctly, it was pretty empty in there.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/11/2018 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2018 2:47 PM

flatout111 wrote:

Yeah, I much preferred it. I'll take MEC I guess but I just don't like fast, wide open simple tracks.

Hmmm? I bet they could. Since MCM2 doesn't work on anything I own now I will have to find a recording of the races. Sound's like a new project for me!

I will be at the MEC this weekend. I am going to try and replicate that one too.

|

10/11/2018 3:02 PM

They shoulda alternate years between mgm grand and Sam Boyd for monster cup

|

10/11/2018 3:21 PM

Where's the pics of Miss US Open?

|

twist wrist and go...

brad@palmspringsmotorsports.com

10/11/2018 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2018 7:10 PM

SPODEBOY wrote:

flatout111 wrote:

SPODEBOY wrote:

Hmmm? I bet they could. Since MCM2 doesn't work on anything I own now I will have to find a recording of the races. Sound's like a new project for me!

I will be at the MEC this weekend. I am going to try and replicate that one too.

Cool, man. Hope you can replicate a US Open track.

|

10/11/2018 4:36 PM

Played cards with Fonseca for a good while and where I first met Guyb.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink