Anyone else love how their 16' or 17' YZ450F corner?

Freakazoid
Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 6:23pm
Am I a lone wolf on this? A lot of magazines and people didn't like how the 16' and 17' YZ cornered, but I simply love it. I have owned and ridden newer bikes, and I don't like them nearly as much in stock form.
|
foreman52
Fantasy
3183rd
2/3/2019 9:28am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 9:28am
I personally liked my 16 and 17 better than my new 18 (YZ450F). I know they made a lot of changes to suit the smaller riders so that might be why as I'm over 6 foot. I struggled a lot this last year cornering the bike.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/3/2019 9:30am
Lowering plate from Enzo with their revalve and turns even better. Loved my 14 and still miss it. My buddy has a 17 and it turns well
cody41
2/3/2019 9:54am
Depends why type of cornering you like. If you like front end steering then they suck, but if you can steer with the rear it is nice. I owned 2 16’s.
Freakazoid
2/3/2019 10:22am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 10:24am
What other bikes are similar to this? What about the new Kawasakis? The old kawi's had that feel. I like more of a rear steering feel personally. My 18' FC350 is fun, but it's not as rear steering as I'd like.

I chose to buy a leftover 17' YZ450f over a 19', because I knew the 17' was going to feel this way. I emailed Keefer and he told me to go with the 17' over the 19' as well. Not only did I save over $3000, but I have a bike that really suits my riding style and also works phenomenally well as a high speed off road desert bike. Obviously the YZ450 isn't as light and "flickable", however I find my 17' YZ450 less "vague" feeling at turn in than my 14' YZ125 or 06' YZ250, and it's the most stable stock bike I have ever ridden. The two strokes have some head shake at high speeds along with that vague feeling, but the 17' YZ450 doesn't have any of those negative feelings. For me it's the perfect bike. I'm 6'2" 200lbs nekkid, intermediate.

I am looking for a slower bike with this feel, and will probably get rid of my 18' Husky FC 350 for a 17' or 18' YZ250F. 350 engine is great, but finding this type of handling is more important to me as that does more for my lap times than power.

The Shop

Freakazoid
2/3/2019 10:27am
foreman52 wrote:
I personally liked my 16 and 17 better than my new 18 (YZ450F). I know they made a lot of changes to suit the smaller riders...
I personally liked my 16 and 17 better than my new 18 (YZ450F). I know they made a lot of changes to suit the smaller riders so that might be why as I'm over 6 foot. I struggled a lot this last year cornering the bike.
That's interesting. So many people have told me to sell the 17' and get a 19', but I have this gut feeling I will still prefer the 17'. I don't like more compact, more front end weight bias bikes. I am a bigger guy as well, and I think that has a lot to do with my love of the 17'.

I am going to start hoarding them, which is nice because a lot of people hate them, and are willing to accept lowballs because they think the handling is a handicap. Some people ask high dollar, cuz they know YZ's have a good reputation for durability, but most don't ask high dollars for 16 and 17 YZs. Good for me!
Lastander
2/3/2019 12:30pm
My favourite bike of all time was my buddys -16 450 with some kit suspension, and this is coming from a guy that lives and breathes Honda..
2/3/2019 1:36pm
I really loved my 14 in ruts or berms but it wouldn't work well on flat corners the front always wanted to knife or wash out. My 19 feels really balanced and will turn anywhere but I'm still trying to feel out how to get it to lean into the ruts. I liked the previous chassis more but the 19 is such a good bike and suspension I'm getting used to it.
Yeti365
2/3/2019 3:01pm
My '16 is OK. It sets up into a turn or rut great, but if I have to take an outside line or flat corner it does feel as positive as I'd like.

Took a few months but I'm pretty happy with the handling. But in all honesty, getting rid of it to try something else.

I've always been on Suzuki and Yamaha since 20004/2005 and it's just grown stale on me. Plus other bikes seem to fit my tall build a little better. Like Kawi and strangely enough, KTM/Husky.
Freakazoid
2/4/2019 8:02am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2019 8:10am
Yeti365 wrote:
My '16 is OK. It sets up into a turn or rut great, but if I have to take an outside line or flat corner it...
My '16 is OK. It sets up into a turn or rut great, but if I have to take an outside line or flat corner it does feel as positive as I'd like.

Took a few months but I'm pretty happy with the handling. But in all honesty, getting rid of it to try something else.

I've always been on Suzuki and Yamaha since 20004/2005 and it's just grown stale on me. Plus other bikes seem to fit my tall build a little better. Like Kawi and strangely enough, KTM/Husky.
The 2018 Husky definitely feels good as a taller rider, but I still think the 16 and 17 YZ feels better. On the 2019 YZ, my knees were higher above the seat, where I’m not able to grip as well.

Flat corners may be the only place I prefer my Husky. I dont have a hard time changing my line mid turn on the YZ for some reason. I wouldn’t trade how the rest of the YZ feels for more flat cornering performance though.
fourfourone
2/4/2019 10:32am
Berms and ruts im good. Flat corners, bike sucks. I okay with it because most tracks I ride don't have flat corners. Im 195 lbs stock springs, with a FC lowering link. Forks slid up 4mm in the triples and sag around 105. Other then the flat corners the bike does well. Thing is a monster in the straight rough stuff.
fourfourone
2/4/2019 10:34am
on slow flats the front either bites in and digs to hard and I go over the bars or it plows. Bike is very sensitive to where you are sitting while cornering
Yeti365
2/4/2019 12:25pm
Yeti365 wrote:
My '16 is OK. It sets up into a turn or rut great, but if I have to take an outside line or flat corner it...

Freakazoid wrote:
The 2018 Husky definitely feels good as a taller rider, but I still think the 16 and 17 YZ feels better. On the 2019 YZ, my...
The 2018 Husky definitely feels good as a taller rider, but I still think the 16 and 17 YZ feels better. On the 2019 YZ, my knees were higher above the seat, where I’m not able to grip as well.

Flat corners may be the only place I prefer my Husky. I dont have a hard time changing my line mid turn on the YZ for some reason. I wouldn’t trade how the rest of the YZ feels for more flat cornering performance though.
I've had this bike for little over a year and while I feel I fit better on it, I just can't get confident on it in corners. The KTM someone was nice enough to let me try, I felt right at home after a half a lap.

I love how I feel sitting on a kx450, but I wanna get some ride time in before I buy one to see how it is. Still leaning towards KTM/Husky.
brimx153
2/4/2019 3:22pm
I love mine , best turning bike I ve had . Big thing for me was to run a ton of sag . Which youd think would be the opp way to get it to turn but worked for me . 115 sag and really stiff high speed comp
bmartens
2/4/2019 6:43pm
I've got a 15 yz450 and I've found that it wants to stand in flat corners and has a tendency to unload the rear end in berm corners and lose traction. Has anybody found this with their 14-17 yz? Any ideas on how to remedy it?
mark_swart
2/4/2019 7:29pm
It's funny,I have the 17 YZ 250F and I feel like turning is the bike's only real weakness. It does okay, but it feels like it takes more effort or thought than it should. It's worth the tradeoff for all if thr other great things it does,, at least until Honda can get their 250 motor on par with the blu cru.
Freakazoid
2/5/2019 6:50am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 6:52am
mark_swart wrote:
It's funny,I have the 17 YZ 250F and I feel like turning is the bike's only real weakness. It does okay, but it feels like it...
It's funny,I have the 17 YZ 250F and I feel like turning is the bike's only real weakness. It does okay, but it feels like it takes more effort or thought than it should. It's worth the tradeoff for all if thr other great things it does,, at least until Honda can get their 250 motor on par with the blu cru.
How big are you? Seems like height/weight has a lot to do with how much people like the last gen YZ.
Freakazoid
2/5/2019 6:55am
bmartens wrote:
I've got a 15 yz450 and I've found that it wants to stand in flat corners and has a tendency to unload the rear end in...
I've got a 15 yz450 and I've found that it wants to stand in flat corners and has a tendency to unload the rear end in berm corners and lose traction. Has anybody found this with their 14-17 yz? Any ideas on how to remedy it?
I read that the 14 and 15 YZs were known for tearhearting fore and aft. Is that what you are talking about? My 15’ RMZ tearhearted, but I dont feel it on my 17’. I believe they made changes to the 16’ bike to make it more stable fore and aft, but some people then complained about triple clamp offset and other stuff.
mark_swart
2/5/2019 8:45am
mark_swart wrote:
It's funny,I have the 17 YZ 250F and I feel like turning is the bike's only real weakness. It does okay, but it feels like it...
Freakazoid wrote:
How big are you? Seems like height/weight has a lot to do with how much people like the last gen YZ.
I'm 5'8, 165. I'm also 46, maybe I don't ride over the front as much as younger guys. I ride +40B and +30B. My bike barely turned at all until I dropped the fork spring rate (I went with Race Tech's recommendation for my size /speed.) That helped on flat turns but in some berm turns it just feels like it doesn't want to be there. Ive also had CRF, RMZ and I race vintage on 80s and 90s CRs so I have a pretty broad base of comparison. A lot of our tracks up here tend to be tighter, which makes it more noticeable.
Freakazoid
2/6/2019 12:16pm
Yup. I have read about lots of guys (at least 100) your size and how they dont like the 14-17 YZ450 chassis and how it handles, and I guess the 250f as well. You must hate the Yamaha two strokes then too, because they have that classic yamaha vague feeling and understeer, more than the newer Yamaha 4T’s. I have read about people dumping thousands of dollars in the bike to get it to handle the way they want, but it never does. Just sell it and buy a Suzuki or Honda if you want the handling you are looking for. 2018 KTM/Husky ride the fine line between nimble and standle, but the bikes feel tall like Yamahas and the austrian bikes feel more “raked out”, or slacker head angle/triple clamps, if thats what you like. I like it I guess, but cannot get used to those bikes as quickly as I can with Yamahas. I havent ridden the 2019 bikes yet, or any newer Kawis after 2015.

But then you go read about some bigger guys who absolutely love the bike, feeling like the bike is almost built for bigger riders. Still though, I have heard/read a fair amount of taller guys not getting along with the bike either, like Pat Foster..but also some small-medium guys who like it like Keefer. It seems 70% of people do not like the bike, and the rest love the bike. And the taller and heavier you are, the more likely you fall into the category that loves it.
Bramlett321
2/7/2019 7:52am
Freakazoid wrote:
Am I a lone wolf on this? A lot of magazines and people didn't like how the 16' and 17' YZ cornered, but I simply love...
Am I a lone wolf on this? A lot of magazines and people didn't like how the 16' and 17' YZ cornered, but I simply love it. I have owned and ridden newer bikes, and I don't like them nearly as much in stock form.
Brother I have been a KTM guy since 2012 and loved the bikes, suspension not so much. I bought a left over '16 450F YZ and I haven't looked back, I can lean that bike and corner better than any bike I've ever owned. The suspension is incredible and the motor is great....I think I paid $6500 OTD from a dealer in Little Rock , AR. I know this bike was changed and the 16/17 are the same, but now the new 18+ are even better than mine....I'll be keeping this one for a while.
Yeti365
2/7/2019 10:16am
brimx153 wrote:
I love mine , best turning bike I ve had . Big thing for me was to run a ton of sag . Which youd think...
I love mine , best turning bike I ve had . Big thing for me was to run a ton of sag . Which youd think would be the opp way to get it to turn but worked for me . 115 sag and really stiff high speed comp
I typically run 108-110 on mine. Usually 110. I'll try a little bit more before I sell mine. Just goddamn, I can't get over how much I loved the KTM.

You aren't the first to say more sag for better turning though. I ran 112-115 on my Suzuki when I had it and it was one of the best balanced bikes I've ever had. More sag made it a lot more stable but it still cut in it and turned wherever you wanted it to. Just don't like how I fit the chassis.
Zerofear66
2/7/2019 11:38am
I have a 16. I put 19 lower fork tubes with lugs and spacers on it. I'm also running RE 20 mm clamps.
Before the fork lower swap I hated the way the bike turned. Now, it's a completely different motorcycle.
I'm so amazed at the difference it made. Blew me away.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/7/2019 11:44am
Berms and ruts im good. Flat corners, bike sucks. I okay with it because most tracks I ride don't have flat corners. Im 195 lbs stock...
Berms and ruts im good. Flat corners, bike sucks. I okay with it because most tracks I ride don't have flat corners. Im 195 lbs stock springs, with a FC lowering link. Forks slid up 4mm in the triples and sag around 105. Other then the flat corners the bike does well. Thing is a monster in the straight rough stuff.
Have you tried running 100mm of sag? That's what Enzo recommended for me
Freakazoid
2/12/2019 7:13am
Zerofear66 wrote:
I have a 16. I put 19 lower fork tubes with lugs and spacers on it. I'm also running RE 20 mm clamps. Before the fork...
I have a 16. I put 19 lower fork tubes with lugs and spacers on it. I'm also running RE 20 mm clamps.
Before the fork lower swap I hated the way the bike turned. Now, it's a completely different motorcycle.
Thats a good idea. I like the stock triple clamp offset actually, but I do want to try the 19’ fork tubes and lugs/spacers. A stiffer connection to the front cant hurt!
Zerofear66
2/12/2019 8:02am
Zerofear66 wrote:
I have a 16. I put 19 lower fork tubes with lugs and spacers on it. I'm also running RE 20 mm clamps. Before the fork...
Freakazoid wrote:
Thats a good idea. I like the stock triple clamp offset actually, but I do want to try the 19’ fork tubes and lugs/spacers. A stiffer...
Thats a good idea. I like the stock triple clamp offset actually, but I do want to try the 19’ fork tubes and lugs/spacers. A stiffer connection to the front cant hurt!
You won't be disappointed ?
Freakazoid
2/12/2019 12:21pm
Zerofear66 wrote:
Freakazoid wrote:
Thats a good idea. I like the stock triple clamp offset actually, but I do want to try the 19’ fork tubes and lugs/spacers. A stiffer...
Zerofear66 wrote:
How much did it cost you?
Zerofear66
2/12/2019 12:26pm
Freakazoid wrote:
Zerofear66 wrote:
Freakazoid wrote:
How much did it cost you?
Around 400 for parts and labor
Freakazoid
2/13/2019 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 6:23pm
That's not bad at all. Even though I love the bike as is, that's cheap enough to justify trying it out.

Post a reply to: Anyone else love how their 16' or 17' YZ450F corner?

The Latest