Anyone else hold their breath while racing?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2018 1:59 PM

This past weekend I passed int the lead and was out front for 3 laps. My sides started to hurt and I realized I wasnt breathing that much haha. Its my 2nd race in 5 years so I am going with my race shape not being back yet. Just wanted to know if anyone else does this?

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

4/24/2018 2:04 PM

Only when I have sketchy moments... So, often yes.

|

James

4/24/2018 2:31 PM

A tip I heard from Billy Laninovich that he gave in a lesson was to pick 1 or 2 spots on the track, that when you pass it, breath OUT all the air in your lungs. It forces you to take a deep breath right after. Most people when they tense up either hold their breath, or take a bunch of short shallow breaths. I do this even when running on a treadmill and it does work, you just have to remember to do it.

|

4/24/2018 2:33 PM

One of the most common pit boards...

Photo

|

4/24/2018 2:46 PM

GuyB wrote:

Photo

There's a good reason it's one of the most common lol

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/24/2018 2:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2018 2:52 PM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

Only when I have sketchy moments... So, often yes.

Haha.yes! x2...followed by cursing at myself for making the mistake.

|

4/24/2018 3:27 PM

This is my problem, if I could figure this out I would be so much better off.

|

Go Hawks!

4/24/2018 3:57 PM

I think we all do it. I feel it’s something we easily over look since we’re so focused on everything else. My biggest problem is not blinking enough. I’ll come into a corner or slower part of the track and have to slow down a blink a lot because my contacts are starting to dry out. Lol

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

4/24/2018 7:44 PM

I've struggled through the years with it.....but I seriously think it acts the same as using muscles when you're not in shape. What I mean is.....with more riding , you'll start to relax and you can start to breathe better.

Obviously in high stress races you can forget to breathe a bit , but just like riding with a tight grip and arm pump.....it fades through the weeks with practice. More relaxed.....breathe better with a more loose grip.

I'm just starting this phase right now. Been off the bike for months....but just got home from practice. OH!!......cardio work helps a bunch with getting your correct breathing .

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

4/25/2018 3:56 AM

Thanks guys I knew I wasn't alone ha.

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

4/25/2018 4:58 AM

eric513anderson wrote:

I think we all do it. I feel it’s something we easily over look since we’re so focused on everything else. My biggest problem is not blinking enough. I’ll come into a corner or slower part of the track and have to slow down a blink a lot because my contacts are starting to dry out. Lol

Oh man that used to be me too! Had some pretty sketchy moments over the years trying to blink out a smudge haha..

But on topic I was THE worst starter in history anyway this one moto I actually managed to get a holeshot, then cut to about 2 laps later with a bit of a lead, I came to a quiet corner I heard myself go "BOHHHHH" and let out a big breath haha obviously I was holding it the whole time.. I still don't know if I did it just because I wasn't used to leading or if I did it every moto and just couldn't hear it due to all the noise haha

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

4/25/2018 5:00 AM

GuyB wrote:

Photo

Was gonna say 'Breathe' or 'Breath' has probably been on every pit board ever

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

4/25/2018 5:07 AM

I realized i hold it on the starting line so my goggles dont fog. After that i only breathe when i remember to. Lol

|

4/25/2018 7:28 AM

Most people do it without realizing it. Same goes for wrestling, jiu jitsu and other combat sports. I still catch myself holding my breath in a heated battle. It takes lots of practice while focusing on breathing.

|

4/25/2018 7:40 AM

I was pretty bad about it when I was younger. As I got older it changed from holding my breath to small shallow breaths. I eventually realize it about halfway through the moto and take a huge slow breath in a corner which helps relax me and helps me start breathing normal again.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/25/2018 7:46 AM

I learned about breathing issues from playing guitar... Would be soloing then nearly choke when finally inhaling or exhaling a huge gasp of air!.

I overcame this by humming along with the notes out loud while playing thus forcing exhale/inhale during playing.

Try talking to yourself out loud a bit while riding - "That's the best Line", "Swing wide there", "SHIT, gonna be SHORT!", etc. Sort of narrate your ride out loud. Helped me a lot, as it forces breathing.

Start slowly at first, and don't let your riding bud's hear ya too much or they'll think you have issues.

|

4/25/2018 7:52 AM

Here I thought I was the only one, I have to constantly tell myself to breathe, I did it even worse racing sprints because of G's and trying to brace against seat bolsters and belts.

The talking thing is a great idea, gonna try that.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/25/2018 9:03 AM

I started chewing gum while riding about 10 years ago and helped huge with breathing! I would hold my breath just the same during intense moments in a race and then tire out much quicker than normal. I see a few SX guys doing the same.

|

4/25/2018 9:07 AM

I get it that being nervous promotes under breathing. What about anger? I never raced long enough to think about it or experiment with breathing techniques. However, I have noticed that some people appear to breath hard and heavy when they become angry. Not saying one should race angry all the time because that's going to produce undesired riding traits I would assume. Just curious if a little anger promotes better breathing as opposed to being nervous?

|