Anyone else here never won a race?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2018 2:04 PM

Evening all, long time lurker on this site just never ended up joining. Just wondered if anyone else is in the same boat as me, grew up riding then racing from around the age of 7 until I was 20, had a bit of a break from the sport before getting back into it later on. I never actually won a race, holeshot quite a few times but never hung on to it. Did mainly local races then youth nationals for a few years but never got that elusive win, only do practice days now due to life commitments but thought I'd see if anyone else was in the no win club?

|

7/3/2018 2:07 PM

James Stewart and RC both have their perfect seasons and me and you both have our winless careers lol

|

7/3/2018 2:11 PM

I hear imperfect seasons are all the rage nowadays. Glad it's not just me then!

|

7/3/2018 2:14 PM

Had a buddy I raced with for about 4 years,he was a 250 novice when I started racing and was 250 novice when he stopped,never got a win.We would race up to three times a week,great time in MX ,so it wasn't from lack of trying.
Funny thing is he was fast off road,he did pull a few wins doing that.But never MX

|

7/3/2018 2:36 PM

Never won. Except one race where the sign up lady told me there were 10 riders in a certain class.
Pushed first moto with a mixed gate. Looked at the results and I won the moto!... against no one.
2nd moto gate dropped and I let everyone go just to see how many I could pick off. You bet I took my friggin plaque home!

|

7/3/2018 2:39 PM

Yes, I have won local races and won a series once in 16-24 class. But the fastest I ever competed was B class. I definitely never progressed close to A status and now I am too old to get faster. I do still learn when I ride, usually how to be smoother.

|

7/3/2018 2:43 PM

No wins to speak of for this practice pro.

|

7/3/2018 3:00 PM

Each of you guys should buy a 125 and go racing every chance you get for a year.
Rain or shine, any track. Just find some racing to gain experience.

The next year, race the first half of the season on the same 125 and then switch it up to a 250F.
You'll find that you're a whole lot faster and a whole lot more competitive in your particular class.

|

7/3/2018 4:28 PM

cwtoyota wrote:

Each of you guys should buy a 125 and go racing every chance you get for a year.

The next year, race the first half of the season on the same 125 and then switch it up to a 250F.
You'll find that you're a whole lot faster and a whole lot more competitive in your particular class.

100% agree that riding a 125 makes you faster on a 4 stroke.

Forces you to find the fastest lines and teaches you to carry more momentum around the track. Instead of keeping the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear you’ll use the entire gearbox and learn better clutch skills.

|

7/3/2018 4:28 PM

I am not part of the winless club, but you have to remember there are 40 spots on a gate and only 1 spot on top of the podium, so statistically speaking there has to be more losers than winners. Don’t worry about the results and enjoy the process.

|

7/3/2018 4:41 PM

Teejay wrote:

Evening all, long time lurker on this site just never ended up joining. Just wondered if anyone else is in the same boat as me, grew up riding then racing from around the age of 7 until I was 20, had a bit of a break from the sport before getting back into it later on. I never actually won a race, holeshot quite a few times but never hung on to it. Did mainly local races then youth nationals for a few years but never got that elusive win, only do practice days now due to life commitments but thought I'd see if anyone else was in the no win club?

Well, at least nobody can ever accuse you of sandbagging. ?

|

7/3/2018 5:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 5:47 PM

Winning is like sex, you never know how it really feels until you have actually done it!

|

7/3/2018 5:52 PM

NEVER.....won.....a......race? How does that feel? smile

|

7/3/2018 5:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 5:59 PM

I never won anything that mattered. My only wins came from local races and a Ponca qualifier. Other than that, it was unfathomable going straight from beginner to winning against guys like Baggett and Craig.

|

7/3/2018 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 6:03 PM

Won my first BMX race ever in 76 . 60 riders in 12 year old novice class. 3 heats, a semi, then the main. Won my first motorcycle race a year later, 125 amateur class at a night scrambles event in 77. That shit kind of ruined me. When I did not "feel" like I could win on a given day, I did not want to go to the races. I got over it by 1978, when moving up in skill classes. Always gonna be someone out there faster.

|

7/3/2018 7:10 PM

I won a coin toss once

|

7/3/2018 7:22 PM

Have gone 1-2 bit never 1-1 or 2-1 for the overall.

|

7/3/2018 7:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 7:28 PM

Never won a moto race. Lots of holeshots and a bunch of seconds, but once I broke my femur, I was done and backed er down. Found a different avenue and joined the industry instead. Won a bunch of BMX races as a kid before racing moto though.

|

Instagram - @MxCulture

7/3/2018 7:29 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

NEVER.....won.....a......race? How does that feel? smile

LMFAO, now THAT’S funny!!

|

7/3/2018 7:30 PM

Sorry, but I did my winning in the 250B class in ‘85, (that was two strokes for you kids) won that class in District 11 Southern Ohio. It was a goal to win the almighty jacket. Winning is fun, but after moving on to the next class, it’s a bummer to lose that. A broken wrist and college enrollment at the end of ‘85 derailed my progress.

|

7/3/2018 7:35 PM

Won a few motos and GPs but nothing over novice, so really no.

Never got a trophy from intermediate. Sad trombone for me.

|

7/3/2018 7:37 PM

Teejay wrote:

Did you age out of a class? Or point out?

Seems like you should at least get 1 before having to move up.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

7/3/2018 9:02 PM

I made Amateur without ever winning. Kinda sucks looking back but whatever.

|

7/3/2018 9:34 PM

cwtoyota wrote:

TymeMoto wrote:

100% agree that riding a 125 makes you faster on a 4 stroke.

Forces you to find the fastest lines and teaches you to carry more momentum around the track. Instead of keeping the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear you’ll use the entire gearbox and learn better clutch skills.

Nailed it. Being old now, I often look back to my days being raised on 2 stroke, and how the basic skill set learning on those teaches you soooo much more than on a 4 stroke. Kids on 85’s now making the jump to a 250f miss out.... The 125 teaches you so much. Love 125’s, perfect learning bike, that you’ll never stop learning on. Unless you’re James Stewart......

|

7/3/2018 9:53 PM

My brother never won. I think that's part of the reason he quit so soon. I have only won the beginner and C class a couple times. One time I lapped third place in a mud race in 450 C. That's definitely the highlight of my racing career. I remind my wife about it regularly.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

7/3/2018 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 10:02 PM

Came into the sport late at the age of 26 but all my riding friends grew up around it, so there was me in Beginner or C class every weekend 25+ or 30+ with bottom 5 finishes, lol, meanwhile they went home with trophies in B class. Was a bit disheartening but still loved every minute of it. Did get 2nd place once and my only trophy on the wall, Beginner Class, Speed Citi, MD, 2014.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/3/2018 11:29 PM

Teejay wrote:

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Did you age out of a class? Or point out?

Seems like you should at least get 1 before having to move up.

I went from schoolboy 125 to adult A but I think our classes are a bit different to the American system. We didn't have C and adult B was kind of a novice class so would have felt a bit stupid moving up to B. I don't spend my life crying into my cornflakes about it just thought it'd be cool to hear other people's experiences cool

|

7/4/2018 12:19 AM

I was in a fight once, I won by 100 meters!

|

7/4/2018 1:59 AM

Never, always been a mid pack struggler with the occasional crash.

|

7/4/2018 3:23 AM

If coach would of put me in we would of won state!!!!

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL