Anyone else get sore calf muscles after riding?

Edited Date/Time 8/17/2021 10:59am
The last two times I rode I've woken up the day after with a very sore right calf muscle. Didn't crash either ride, and nothing weird happened with kickstarting the bike either (its a 250 smoker). Just a usual day of riding.

Trying to think of anything I am doing wrong like not squeezing the tank enough with my knees? I'm bad about not using the balls of my feet off jumps, so I can't see where I've like over extended that muscle when landing hard. I'm literally not sure what I'm doing to cause the soreness.

Has anyone else experienced this and what ended up being the issue?

|
4/20/2021 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2021 8:12pm
Just gonna add that I had this happen with two different brands of boots; Fox Instincts and also Gearne SG12s. Neither pair of boots is tight at the top. I wear OG asterisk knee braces and they do not feel tight when I have them on.

I also drink about 3 liters of water a day, sometimes more when riding.
Spudnut
4/20/2021 8:21pm
I used to get a sore left calf after riding eventually it got worse and worse then started cramping in the middle of the night a few months later. Nothing I did would help it

When it became swollen and patchy red I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis from heel to my groin

If it becomes swollen or starts cramping for no reason please go get checked.
Crush
4/20/2021 9:08pm
Yeah i'd go get checked out bud, calf soreness for no reason can be not good.

The Shop

Vet57
4/21/2021 3:32am
I know years ago after switching up my riding style, meaning riding mostly on the balls of my feet I had gotten sore calves but soon subsided shortly there after.
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
4/21/2021 4:34am Edited Date/Time 4/21/2021 4:35am
I get doms in my calves from riding on balls of my feet, especially after riding a Sandy track.
Maybe just doms but as others have said, if it swells get it checked out dude, can’t be too careful.
slipdog
4/21/2021 6:26am
Crush wrote:
Yeah i'd go get checked out bud, calf soreness for no reason can be not good.
Don't call her bud... Guy!

sandman768
4/21/2021 9:32am
Have you tried to roll out your calf’s? Or some stretches for the calf’s? When I am really sore from riding, I will do 25-30 mins on stationary bike to warm the muscles, then stretching and some foam rolling of the sore muscles...
PTshox
4/21/2021 9:45am
There is a stuff you can buy at walgreens - it's called "Leg Cramps"
I take one after every long ride. Works great!
blaze 57
4/21/2021 9:48am
sandman768 wrote:
Have you tried to roll out your calf’s? Or some stretches for the calf’s? When I am really sore from riding, I will do 25-30 mins...
Have you tried to roll out your calf’s? Or some stretches for the calf’s? When I am really sore from riding, I will do 25-30 mins on stationary bike to warm the muscles, then stretching and some foam rolling of the sore muscles...
Great advise and basically what I do now. My right calf turned into a chronic condition and was very difficult to heal right. I kept re-injuring it. Warm up and proper stretching and calf raises is how I healed it for good. I also use "voodoo flossing" which helped too. Lots of You Tubes clips on it and I'm a firm believer on Voodoo Flossing.
38special
4/21/2021 9:59am
Try stretching. I tended to get some calf cramps after cycling and moto when I wasn't stretching daily.

Rolling is another great suggestion.
Spudnut
4/21/2021 12:05pm
slipdog wrote:
Don't call her bud... Guy! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/21/488809/s1200_Screenshot_2021_04_21_at_6.24.46_AM_Edited.jpg[/img]
Don't call her bud... Guy!

You’re not my guy pal!
4/26/2021 5:35pm
Interesting.... My primary care doc said they want me to come back in for ultrasound of my right calf...

"D-dimer is a little bit above normal, so I cannot totally rule out a blood clot. Our office will contact you to schedule the ultrasound of your right leg."

4/29/2021 10:03am
Spudnut wrote:
I used to get a sore left calf after riding eventually it got worse and worse then started cramping in the middle of the night a...
I used to get a sore left calf after riding eventually it got worse and worse then started cramping in the middle of the night a few months later. Nothing I did would help it

When it became swollen and patchy red I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis from heel to my groin

If it becomes swollen or starts cramping for no reason please go get checked.
Thanks Spudnut and Crush

Ya'll quite possibly saved my life. They had me come in that same day for ultrasound. The found DBT in my right calf, said it was critical I get on thinners straight away. If I'd ignored, it could have dislodged and traveled into my lungs causing pulmonary embolism.

The tradeoff for not dying unexpectedly is I have to give up riding while I'm on blood thinners the next 6 weeks. Dry They said to even stay off the street bike. They said the hidden danger from blood thinners is internal trauma and bleeding from falling/crashing/car accidents etc.

Thanks again ya'll
Spudnut
4/29/2021 10:39pm
Well I’m sorry to hear that you do in fact have a DVT but I’m glad you caught it before it became a PE

6 weeks will fly by, I’m 6 months in looking at another 6 off the bike currently. I do ride pitbikes a bit though lol

As the DVT goes away you will notice that you feel a bit better all around, Walking and exercise during the day and elevation for a hour or two at night will make a world of difference. best of luck to you
Crush
4/30/2021 1:24am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2021 1:42am
Jeeeeeeebus, glad you’re sorted mate!
4/30/2021 9:24am
Spudnut wrote:
Well I’m sorry to hear that you do in fact have a DVT but I’m glad you caught it before it became a PE 6 weeks...
Well I’m sorry to hear that you do in fact have a DVT but I’m glad you caught it before it became a PE

6 weeks will fly by, I’m 6 months in looking at another 6 off the bike currently. I do ride pitbikes a bit though lol

As the DVT goes away you will notice that you feel a bit better all around, Walking and exercise during the day and elevation for a hour or two at night will make a world of difference. best of luck to you
Do most blood clots take up to a year to resolve?
Spudnut
4/30/2021 10:28am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2021 10:34am
It varies depending on the severity. I was an idiot and waited way too long to get checked out. Your hematologist will likely be able to give you a time frame. From what I understand it can be a 3-12 month deal though

You’ll probably be ordered to do some blood work also to check for certain gene mutations to see if the clot was brought on by your genes or if it was provoked

The clot will either desolve or stick to your vein wall, turn Into scar tissue and your body will create new veins around the effected area

Your risk of a PE will dramatically reduce within just a few weeks of Taking anticoagulants
4/30/2021 12:19pm
Yeah I am too young to give up all the active things I like to do. I don't know how I would carry on not being able to ride motorcycles, play roller derby, ect. ugh.

I go in to talk with another doctor next Friday, hope not more bad news. I guess not riding is better than not living but I'm not prepared to let it go.
TunaBro
4/30/2021 12:38pm
Do most blood clots take up to a year to resolve?
My wife had one in her arm and was found after a surgery that she had. She immediately went on thinners and had to go into the ACC 3-4x week to dial in her meds. They told her it would be a year until it has healed up but will always have an internal scar left behind. Scary stuff but she is off the meds now and just keeping an eye out for any symptoms of any coming back.
Spudnut
4/30/2021 1:16pm
You should be able to return to all regular activities once you’re off the meds.

The doctor will always tell you don’t do X or Y because of what could possibly go wrong but it’s ultimately up to you to decide if the risk is worth the reward, I still ride pitbikes and work In a dangerous Industry... hell I’ve been kicking around the idea of taking my 2 smoker out for a nice easy ride. Just be careful and smart

The way I look at it is, you could fall down a flight of stairs tomorrow Or get in a nasty car wreck and be a goner so might as well live your life with just a bit of extra caution.
6/29/2021 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 10:06am
Hey ya'll, just a follow up here.

I'm going insane not being able to ride. The hematology clinic managing my case said 3 months of thinners, then can stop taking. I still have 4 weeks left to go.

Question here for anyone who only had ONE blood clot in your distal area (calf)

One doc said that the vein will always be "damaged" and I should expect it to feel "different" for the rest of my life.

Did you continue to feel soreness, even after the docs cleared you with an ultrasound and bloodwork?
NSP139
7/2/2021 5:24am
I had a DVT in my right calf after a surgery they had me on coumadin for a couple years and wanted to do Heparin shots in the stomach I took myself off and just get regular ultrasounds every year just to make sure everything's okay no pain after leg is just fine other than it being fused LOL
7/2/2021 6:09am
NSP139 did you continue riding while on coumadin? I had to be on Lovenox injections the first week it was horrible haha, I hate needles. Did you have prior blood clots, why did they have you on it so long? Usual course is 3 months for first, then lifer for second.
NSP139
7/2/2021 6:19am
NSP139 did you continue riding while on coumadin? I had to be on Lovenox injections the first week it was horrible haha, I hate needles. Did...
NSP139 did you continue riding while on coumadin? I had to be on Lovenox injections the first week it was horrible haha, I hate needles. Did you have prior blood clots, why did they have you on it so long? Usual course is 3 months for first, then lifer for second.
Nope no blood clots prior to the trauma but I did develop a second superficial blood clot in my arm while on the Coumadin. No riding while on the Coumadin wasn't worth the risk! And I had a long recovery from my injuries LOL
7/2/2021 6:50am
NSP139 wrote:
Nope no blood clots prior to the trauma but I did develop a second superficial blood clot in my arm while on the Coumadin. No riding...
Nope no blood clots prior to the trauma but I did develop a second superficial blood clot in my arm while on the Coumadin. No riding while on the Coumadin wasn't worth the risk! And I had a long recovery from my injuries LOL
How many years has it been since all that happened?
NSP139
7/2/2021 7:09am
NSP139 wrote:
Nope no blood clots prior to the trauma but I did develop a second superficial blood clot in my arm while on the Coumadin. No riding...
How many years has it been since all that happened?
I was hospitalized for the initial DVT on 9-11 2001 got the second blood clot approximately three months after I'm supposed to be a lifer on blood thinners I couldn't deal with the side effects and I believe both of mine were caused from trauma not because of any blood disorders
DonM
7/2/2021 7:30am
Last November I woke up on a Sunday with what I thought was a strained calf, so I thought I would just take it easy for a few days and let it get better. By Thursday it had only gotten worse and became a little swollen, red and warm to the touch so I played google Dr and and put in my symptoms and realized I may have a clot also every time I took a deep breath I would cough…after reading the symptoms and that if I had developed a cough to go directly to the ER which is what I did on Friday morning….They found a clot in my left leg and a PE in my right lung and admitted me immediately.
After three days in the hospital I am now on Eliquis and have been to a cardiologist and a hematologist multiple times since and after all the tests it was discovered that I have hereditary genes that can cause clotting….long story short I will probably need to be on thinners for the rest of my life and as of now the scar tissue continues to give me issues in my leg if I spend too much time on my feet I will get swelling in my lower leg from fluid and I walk with a slight limp. The biggest issues I have is that I get to feeling about 90% of where I was before which is frustrating as that last 10% is huge and I have to be very careful in what I do so not to cause any injury or cuts…

Post a reply to: Anyone else get sore calf muscles after riding?

The Latest