Anyone done this to bars before?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/8/2019 9:05 PM

Ended my ride early. Crash was a bit complex, but in short i dug the end of these into the dirt and bent them straight upwards. No signs of fatigue but haven’t checked with a microscope.

Photo

|

3/8/2019 9:14 PM

I snapped renthals once. Clean off. I put them back and slid them into the clamp and rode the rest of the day. Flex bars before they were popular.

|

3/8/2019 11:25 PM

A closer look

Photo

|

3/9/2019 12:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2019 12:04 AM

Come on, Magoo would have finished his ride day.

Must have been a good crash!

|

3/9/2019 5:00 AM

Im surprised that ragged ass KTM top clamp didn't break, those things are made from silver peanut butter.

|

3/9/2019 5:12 AM

I dropped my bike in a turn and snapped a renthal bar once, but that is not to say they was not cracked or something from another crash that i did not see.

|

3/9/2019 9:29 AM

Saw a guy brake a twin wall in half, right where the 2 meet

|

Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

3/9/2019 9:37 AM

I did that once to a set of standard Renthals, rode home with the clutch side on my lap. Mine broke about an inch from the clamps though, may have been a stress riser from tie downs. Now I only use soft ties.

|

3/9/2019 9:46 AM

I’ve broken bars of every size, material and brand. Don’t over analyze it, bolt on a new set and ride.

|

3/9/2019 9:52 AM

Was expecting to see them sticking out your ass...

|

3/9/2019 10:02 AM

Blade Flanagan jr. wrote:

I did that once to a set of standard Renthals, rode home with the clutch side on my lap. Mine broke about an inch from the clamps though, may have been a stress riser from tie downs. Now I only use soft ties.

Same. Broke off on the landing of a jump just as smooth as can be. Went into the turn after with a remote clutch. Didn’t crash and went back to the pits. Friends were like WTF? Broke at the crossbar. Going to say fatigue as bars were old, moved from bike to bike.

|

3/9/2019 10:08 AM

WOW!
I’ve never done that!
I will say flexbars are the strongest bars I’ve ever had! I’ve had the same bar in five different bikes, still straight & works great

|

3/9/2019 12:03 PM

dirtwalker wrote:

Ended my ride early. Crash was a bit complex, but in short i dug the end of these into the dirt and bent them straight upwards. No signs of fatigue but haven’t checked with a microscope.

Photo

I had a pair of 7/8” Renthals snap on the face of a triple in 2007... held together by the crossbar. It didn’t go too well for me.

|

3/9/2019 12:18 PM

Long time ago my buddy and I were riding the pine barrons in NJ. Little track we ran into a sand pit around a pond. There was a little hip jump in a corner, no more than a foot tall. He landed from it, on a angle, and his rental snapped clean off .5 inches from the clamp. He landed in the pond right next to the corner. We laughed it off, but there was a double into the woods after that corner. That would have been bad

|

3/9/2019 12:38 PM

I’ve snapped many bars. Multiple sets of twin walls. If you don’t crash, you’re not trying hard enough.

|

3/9/2019 1:01 PM

The bar has been over tightened, right at the clamp. See how it's flush? Should be a gap

|

when in doubt, pin it out

3/9/2019 1:25 PM

The other side at least has a gap.

|

when in doubt, pin it out

3/9/2019 8:15 PM

gsxr6 wrote:

The bar has been over tightened, right at the clamp. See how it's flush? Should be a gap

Its just the lighting. There is about half a mm gap easily.

|

3/9/2019 8:28 PM

I snapped a set of twin walls during a harescramble race one time. It was the last lap with about 3 miles to go. Still finished but got passed with only a few turns left. Getting 2nd stung pretty bad that day.

|

3/9/2019 8:33 PM

Had a friend that stuck his bars 3 inches into his stomach grip and all... Damndest thing I've ever saw

|