Anyone doing the Northeast 24 Hour Challenge?

sgthubbard#60
Edited Date/Time 8/6/2015 5:54am
http://www.arcadiabarkbusters.com/24-hour-challenge.html

Anyone else here doing this event? My brother and I signed up as a "Family Duo Team". Never done any night riding let alone racing at night so we are pretty excited to do this. Any advise from anyone that has done a 24 hour race before would be great too.
|
pete24
8/4/2015 12:59pm
hubbard, do u have a carcass that will run for 4 hrs
Desrtracer
8/4/2015 1:41pm
http://www.arcadiabarkbusters.com/24-hour-challenge.html Anyone else here doing this event? My brother and I signed up as a "Family Duo Team". Never done any night riding let alone racing...
http://www.arcadiabarkbusters.com/24-hour-challenge.html

Anyone else here doing this event? My brother and I signed up as a "Family Duo Team". Never done any night riding let alone racing at night so we are pretty excited to do this. Any advise from anyone that has done a 24 hour race before would be great too.
We run the 24 Hours at Glen Helen every year and the best thing I can tell you is have all your stuff organized. Test the bike and the lights before the actual race and remember its 24 hours so no need to push like a normal race there is plenty of time and clicking off consistent laps is best and most of all HAVE FUN!
sgthubbard#60
8/4/2015 1:51pm
pete24 wrote:
Yeah I'm gonna ride this. Figure it's more dependable than your RMs.

sgthubbard#60
8/4/2015 1:53pm
Desrtracer wrote:
We run the 24 Hours at Glen Helen every year and the best thing I can tell you is have all your stuff organized. Test the...
We run the 24 Hours at Glen Helen every year and the best thing I can tell you is have all your stuff organized. Test the bike and the lights before the actual race and remember its 24 hours so no need to push like a normal race there is plenty of time and clicking off consistent laps is best and most of all HAVE FUN!
That's the plan! This appears to be the closest we'll ever get to the 24 hours of Glen Helen event out here. Thanks!

The Shop

newmann
8/4/2015 2:31pm
pete24 wrote:
Yeah I'm gonna ride this. Figure it's more dependable than your RMs. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/04/99928/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

LOL Hubbard, you have about exactly, precisely 1/4 inch of overlap left in those fork tubes before they fall out. Gotta love those Terry fork kits!
sgthubbard#60
8/4/2015 3:51pm
pete24 wrote:
Yeah I'm gonna ride this. Figure it's more dependable than your RMs. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/04/99928/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

newmann wrote:
LOL Hubbard, you have about exactly, precisely 1/4 inch of overlap left in those fork tubes before they fall out. Gotta love those Terry fork kits!
Lol, yep. Longest set of wet spaghetti I've seen yet. Can't believe someone rode that like that.
sgthubbard#60
8/4/2015 3:56pm
On the serious note, I'm riding a steel frame YZ250 smoker and my brother is riding a KTM300XC. We are both running helmet lights from Task Racing instead of bike mounted headlights although we'll have headlights on hand for backups.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
8/4/2015 4:13pm
I'm also doing the 24hr race. I'm on one of the 6 man teams in the expert class. I'm looking foward to doing this race. It should be something different than what I'm use to.

I just ordered my lighting setup last night. I also went with the helmet lights. This is the setup that I ordered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR1qFrQsPME
sgthubbard#60
8/5/2015 4:14am
digger wrote:
I'm also doing the 24hr race. I'm on one of the 6 man teams in the expert class. I'm looking foward to doing this race. It...
I'm also doing the 24hr race. I'm on one of the 6 man teams in the expert class. I'm looking foward to doing this race. It should be something different than what I'm use to.

I just ordered my lighting setup last night. I also went with the helmet lights. This is the setup that I ordered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR1qFrQsPME
Awesome. We're both really looking forward to it for the change as well. We grew up racing NETRA harescrambles then bounced around racing MX, JDay GPs and vintage MX. Look us up while your out there, our team name is Blazing Saddles and number is 454.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
8/5/2015 6:32am
I'm really good friends with the guys putting this event on... you guys are in for a real treat! I've seen a little of the layout, and the trails should be really awesome! The companies that are supporting this event too have been awesome, and everyone signed up is sure to walk away with some goodies!

I'll be riding the Expert team class with some good dudes, we were a late entry, "The Bushwackers" ("Liquor in the Bush" was not an acceptable team name for some reason).

In 2012, I ran the duo class in Alabama with Jake Dennis (he's the guy most have probably been in contact with for any questions on the race) and it was one of the coolest things I've done to this point in my life. We went down with a couple other buddies who teamed up in the Duo class as well, and that one trip has produced more stories for us then we can even keep track of. Truly a cool experience.

I'll search some of you guys out, if you see me feel free to say hi! I always have a orange/pink horn on my helmet, and I tip the scales at over 300lbs on a white Yamaha 450 with Bristol Core on the graphics. Its tough to miss me!
huck
8/5/2015 6:45am
I did a 24 hour challenge a couple years ago in Alabama the first of June. It was pretty hard... My buddies and I all did the iron man race... I think I was on the bike around 15 of the 24 hours. My goal was to finish and I think I finished 8th or something.

It was fun and something different. Have a good light is a must! Make sure you can dim it though...as it was really dusty when we did our race, and those bright lights hitting dust made visibility treacherous (you couldn't even see your front fender sometimes).

Just remember, you're racing for 24 hours, no need to kill yourself on any ONE lap. The guy that won the iron man class that we raced was on the bike for 21 hours. His fastest lap was WAY slower than my slowest lap. But he still did like 10 laps more than I did.

Our class was the last to go...I counted 46 people that I passed the first 2 laps. lol
sgthubbard#60
8/5/2015 8:54am
ebers wrote:
I'm really good friends with the guys putting this event on... you guys are in for a real treat! I've seen a little of the layout...
I'm really good friends with the guys putting this event on... you guys are in for a real treat! I've seen a little of the layout, and the trails should be really awesome! The companies that are supporting this event too have been awesome, and everyone signed up is sure to walk away with some goodies!

I'll be riding the Expert team class with some good dudes, we were a late entry, "The Bushwackers" ("Liquor in the Bush" was not an acceptable team name for some reason).

In 2012, I ran the duo class in Alabama with Jake Dennis (he's the guy most have probably been in contact with for any questions on the race) and it was one of the coolest things I've done to this point in my life. We went down with a couple other buddies who teamed up in the Duo class as well, and that one trip has produced more stories for us then we can even keep track of. Truly a cool experience.

I'll search some of you guys out, if you see me feel free to say hi! I always have a orange/pink horn on my helmet, and I tip the scales at over 300lbs on a white Yamaha 450 with Bristol Core on the graphics. Its tough to miss me!
Awesome, cant wait. All the pictures they have posted of the track look really nice and mellow which is great since I know it will get rough as the race goes on. They should have let you guys go with Liquor in the Bush, has a nice ring to it. Lol.
sgthubbard#60
8/5/2015 8:58am
huck wrote:
I did a 24 hour challenge a couple years ago in Alabama the first of June. It was pretty hard... My buddies and I all did...
I did a 24 hour challenge a couple years ago in Alabama the first of June. It was pretty hard... My buddies and I all did the iron man race... I think I was on the bike around 15 of the 24 hours. My goal was to finish and I think I finished 8th or something.

It was fun and something different. Have a good light is a must! Make sure you can dim it though...as it was really dusty when we did our race, and those bright lights hitting dust made visibility treacherous (you couldn't even see your front fender sometimes).

Just remember, you're racing for 24 hours, no need to kill yourself on any ONE lap. The guy that won the iron man class that we raced was on the bike for 21 hours. His fastest lap was WAY slower than my slowest lap. But he still did like 10 laps more than I did.

Our class was the last to go...I counted 46 people that I passed the first 2 laps. lol
Thanks for the insight Huck. I had never thought of needing to dim the light in dusty conditions, the light I have does have a high and low setting so that is a plus. As you mention setting a good pace is my biggest concern as I dont want to go too slow or too fast, guess I'll just have to figure that out based on the course and conditions.
huck
8/5/2015 10:09am
huck wrote:
I did a 24 hour challenge a couple years ago in Alabama the first of June. It was pretty hard... My buddies and I all did...

Thanks for the insight Huck. I had never thought of needing to dim the light in dusty conditions, the light I have does have a high...
Thanks for the insight Huck. I had never thought of needing to dim the light in dusty conditions, the light I have does have a high and low setting so that is a plus. As you mention setting a good pace is my biggest concern as I dont want to go too slow or too fast, guess I'll just have to figure that out based on the course and conditions.
I would have to turn off the light that was mounted on my bike...and just use the one on the helmet, until I passed the person causing the dust.

Have fun with it!!!!
sgthubbard#60
8/5/2015 12:25pm
Any tips on foods to eat during the race? I've always been one to not eat anything before a Harescramble or during a day of MX but obviously I will need to eat. Bananas? Peanutbutter samiches?
newmann
8/5/2015 1:31pm
Any tips on foods to eat during the race? I've always been one to not eat anything before a Harescramble or during a day of MX...
Any tips on foods to eat during the race? I've always been one to not eat anything before a Harescramble or during a day of MX but obviously I will need to eat. Bananas? Peanutbutter samiches?
TYLER AND HIS MOM RECOMMEND TASTY KRAOR SOSAGES. AND THAT YOU RIDE A SUSZUKI.
sgthubbard#60
8/5/2015 7:21pm
A big thanks to Yankee Hill Machine for sponsoring my team and hooking us up with some killer backgrounds from the one and only K-Rae Graphics!

walleyeguy
8/6/2015 4:36am
I'm in. We're doing the c class team race with 4 guys right now. #267 "TEAM ARM PUMP"
huck
8/6/2015 5:54am
Any tips on foods to eat during the race? I've always been one to not eat anything before a Harescramble or during a day of MX...
Since my group was all doing the iron man class...we kind of worried about that too.

We just made some turkey sandwiches for the day...then grilled some chicken for dinner. Had some nuts, fruit and other 'snacks' for between.

Luckily, my wife is f-ing awesome and went with. She knew when we were coming in (most of the time every 3 laps), and would have something ready for us. That helped out A LOT.

Post a reply to: Anyone doing the Northeast 24 Hour Challenge?

The Latest