Anyone bought a 2022.5 KTM 250 Factory Edition or a FC 250 Rockstar?

Hi Side
5/15/2022 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2022 10:54am
For those that have bought one of these what are your real world thoughts? Are they comprehensively better than the 2109-2022 platform?

I can't decide whether to buy a FC250 Rockstar, wait for the non-RS 2023 or buy a new 2022 that has been proven. I have spare wheels, air filters, oil filters and many other parts from my 2021 that will work with a '22 which has an appeal to me.
|
Brent
5/15/2022 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 4:07pm
My advice is - Don't buy any FE or Rockstar bikes from the new generation just yet..

Wait for the production model for a couple of reasons:

(1) The basic machine will be substantially the same, with the same motor and suspension. You will be paying a lot extra for wheels and a slip on muffler, clamps, and a start hook.

(2) the productions models will be more available. Parts for the FE or rockstar versions are not easy to come by right now. Suspension tuners are still working on a setting.

(3) the production model will have small improvements over the FE or Rockstar edition.

I race 2022's, we have a 250F, 350, and 450. We are staying with the 2022 platform until next year because these new gen bikes have some things that need to be fixed. the 2022 platform is a great bike. most of your 2019-2022 spares will not fit in the new gen bikes.

But what do I know...
cwel11
5/15/2022 5:17pm
Just bought a 22 FC350 for the same reason. Have a ton of spare parts (currrently on a 21) and will wait for a 24 to at least let them work out any kinks they’ll find. That being said the FC 450FE in the showroom was beautiful
Broseph
5/15/2022 5:23pm
Brent wrote:
My advice is - Don't buy any FE or Rockstar bikes from the new generation just yet.. Wait for the production model for a couple of...
My advice is - Don't buy any FE or Rockstar bikes from the new generation just yet..

(1) The basic machine will be substantially the same, with the same motor and suspension. You will be paying a lot extra for wheels and a slip on muffler, clamps, and a start hook.

(2) the productions models will be more available. Parts for the FE or rockstar versions are not easy to come by right now. Suspension tuners are still working on a setting.

(3) the production model will have small improvements over the FE or Rockstar edition.

I race 2022's, we have a 250F, 350, and 450. We are staying with the 2022 platform until next year because these new gen bikes have some things that need to be fixed. the 2022 platform is a great bike. most of your 2019-2022 spares will not fit in the new gen bikes.

But what do I know...
What have you found that needs to be fixed on the new gen bikes?
ThatOneKid
5/15/2022 6:13pm
Was planning on waiting for a 23 250sxf but my current bike started giving me issues so I put a deposit on a ktm 250 FE that should be coming in any day now. If it weren’t for my 150 being on the fritz and chasing problems I’d be waiting till August for the 23s, I’m excited about having an orange frame at least.

The Shop

AJ565
5/15/2022 6:21pm
Brent wrote:
My advice is - Don't buy any FE or Rockstar bikes from the new generation just yet.. Wait for the production model for a couple of...

But what do I know...
First year FE bikes don’t come with a different exhaust so that’s makes the value even less.
Brent
5/15/2022 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 8:26pm
Broseph wrote:
tuners are having a hard time finding a setting for the new production shock that works.

And from what I was led to believe, they are really trying and have been for a bit.

The new WP pro shock comes out for this model in a couple weeks, and I wonder who will plunk down big dollars for that new tech.

I was a Pala today for the RTM LCQ, and out of over 300 big bike entries I never saw a RSE or FE bike being raced. No Vets, no Pros, no hot Am riders. No- body.

What does that tell you..

Broseph
5/15/2022 11:40pm
Broseph wrote:
Brent wrote:
tuners are having a hard time finding a setting for the new production shock that works. And from what I was led to believe, they are...
tuners are having a hard time finding a setting for the new production shock that works.

And from what I was led to believe, they are really trying and have been for a bit.

The new WP pro shock comes out for this model in a couple weeks, and I wonder who will plunk down big dollars for that new tech.

I was a Pala today for the RTM LCQ, and out of over 300 big bike entries I never saw a RSE or FE bike being raced. No Vets, no Pros, no hot Am riders. No- body.

Tells me MXA will need to add a tooth for it to win their shootout for the 10th consecutive time.
Richy
5/16/2022 12:28am
Broseph wrote:
Tells me MXA will need to add a tooth for it to win their shootout for the 10th consecutive time.
And complain about torx bolts like it isn't 2022 and everyone should have a decent tool kit already.

Then compare something to one of the three bears porridge (doesn't matter if it's the right one) and be done with it.
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
5/16/2022 5:38am
We know what the 2023 will cost and they are supposed to start hitting in July. If parts availability is an issue then it will be with the 2023 for a while too. MSRP is $600 difference. You make the call if the difference is worth it for the extra parts it comes with.
Brent
5/16/2022 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2022 11:10pm
Richy wrote:
And complain about torx bolts like it isn't 2022 and everyone should have a decent tool kit already. Then compare something to one of the three...
And complain about torx bolts like it isn't 2022 and everyone should have a decent tool kit already.

Then compare something to one of the three bears porridge (doesn't matter if it's the right one) and be done with it.
Jody doesn't believe in using Loc-Tite maybe?
Tongue

But their test guys are pretty good, Dennis and Mosiman are gritty pro privateers and they know what works. I just wonder if what they really think gets put in the shootouts.

I rode the 450 one time and it felt almost exactly like the stock 2022 to my old slow ass.

I hear guys faster and better than me don't care for the bike balance or the harsh feeling in the stock shock.

The stock AER 48 fork's issues are well documented already.

As to "add a gear" they are normally right. I think the FE is stock with 13/49 and that is too low to get out of corners with any pop, I went to 13/50 or 13/51 for tight tracks...

Who knows...
eg351
5/17/2022 4:10am
Richy wrote:
And complain about torx bolts like it isn't 2022 and everyone should have a decent tool kit already. Then compare something to one of the three...

Brent wrote:
Jody doesn't believe in using Loc-Tite maybe? :P But their test guys are pretty good, Dennis and Mosiman are gritty pro privateers and they know what...
Jody doesn't believe in using Loc-Tite maybe?
Tongue

But their test guys are pretty good, Dennis and Mosiman are gritty pro privateers and they know what works. I just wonder if what they really think gets put in the shootouts.

I rode the 450 one time and it felt almost exactly like the stock 2022 to my old slow ass.

I hear guys faster and better than me don't care for the bike balance or the harsh feeling in the stock shock.

The stock AER 48 fork's issues are well documented already.

As to "add a gear" they are normally right. I think the FE is stock with 13/49 and that is too low to get out of corners with any pop, I went to 13/50 or 13/51 for tight tracks...

Who knows...
My FE came stock with 13/51 gearing. I wouldn't change the gearing I like it I just wish 2nd gear pulled a little longer so I will probably get an ignition for it.

As far as differences from last years bike, it feels entirely different in a better way. My bike last year never wanted to stay in the ruts (front end always wanted to climb out), this one corners like a dream. Any rut, berm or sand corner thing goes exactly where you want it too. The engine is light years better than last years model. It has that grunt off the bottom so you can lug this bike if you want too. I ride quite a few corners in 3rd gear and have no issue getting out of them.

I haven't had any issues with the shock other than I need to go stiffer before the nationals. I tested with Factory Connection in New England a month ago and the bike works amazing up north on the smaller bumps and choppy corners. Once I got back to FL I found it was too soft for the big breaking bumps and deep rutted turns. They have my stuff now putting in a new setting to try thats stiffer for down here and the nationals. I've been running 104-106 sag.

Parts are starting to be more and more available but still a few things on backorder. I've got an FMF slip on but they still don't have a header out yet. The slip on makes a slight difference (helps off the bottom) but I'm interested to see how much the header does when that comes out.
Hi Side
5/17/2022 10:39am
Thanks for all the feedback fellas, I appreciate it. I decided to go with the 2022.5 Rockstar Edition. Should have it in my hands first week of June.
5/20/2022 5:38am
I got mine in about two weeks ago and have almost 4 hours on it now. It is a fun bike but the power displacement differs from what I came from riding (22 yz250f). It will rev for days and is super fun. The stock suspension is even good out of the box. The Quickshift is pretty cool but I have not used it much. My only complaint would be a little more bottom grunt as I can't take some corners in 3rd like I could on the Yamaha. Just have to be in lower gear more on corners and work the clutch more but all around it is a solid bike. Just for context, I am not a super-fast rider (C-Class) lol Just started back a few months ago after not riding for 15 years.
Jdawggg
5/20/2022 6:52am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2022 6:59am
Broseph wrote:
Brent wrote:
tuners are having a hard time finding a setting for the new production shock that works. And from what I was led to believe, they are...

I raced R to M 50+ and 40+ and there was 2 of the ktm fe on my gate also the guy parked next to us had a husky RS with after market graphics so not sure your statement is accurate …what does that tell you
StevenMX
5/20/2022 10:54am
I have the 2022.5 KTM 250FE with 12hrs now on it and really really enjoy it. I'm a vet 30+ C class rider 5'9" 170lbs and the stock suspension feels really good out of the box. I'm comparing to my 21 KTM 250SX with revalved Factory Connection suspension. I've been fortunate to ride the 21 YZ 250F, 22 Honda CRF250R and 22 Kawasaki 250f in addition to the Husky 350 and 22YZ 450F. I think power wise they have it pretty dialed in. If you want the Yamaha hit down low throw the bike into Map2 and it's pretty damn close. I also purchased the Twin Air Powerflow kit as I wanted an extra air filter and figured why not. That added further grunt across the powerband. Other then that, I do not plan on adding any aftermarket pipe/ECU, etc. as it's just not needed at my level. The bike absolutely rips and will pull hard through the powerband nicely. The ergos are the most comfortable I've found on any of the bikes I've ridden. Cornering is planted and stability at speed is there. These bikes are all so good now out of the box that you can't really go wrong. Happy with mine, always happy to answer other questions.

One thing to note! Make sure to put chain slack to 65mm from end of chain guide to chain! Not your typical 55-58mm they have on the inside of the airbox/manual. Need to allow the shock to not bind and get full movement.

Post a reply to: Anyone bought a 2022.5 KTM 250 Factory Edition or a FC 250 Rockstar?

The Latest