Anyone ask Herlings if he has any interest in Supee?

MX Culture
Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 6:44pm
Just curious if he ever wants to race Supercross here?
Obviously has the talent, imagine if he gave it a shot.
Thoughts...
|
mpy
9/5/2017 4:04am
Did it make you think of more races in the US?

I am 100% sure I can be good at supercross but it just takes time. I’m not talking about days but months and maybe years of experience. I don’t know. For now I will focus on the world championship and I have a contract for KTM for a couple more years racing there. Maybe I will do one or two rounds again next year but it depends on the situation.

http://ontrackoffroad.com/2017/09/04/herlings-talks-aldon-baker-trainin…
9/5/2017 4:04am
I doubt he gives a damn about SX.

''I am 100% sure I can be good at supercross but it just takes time. I’m not talking about days but months and maybe years of experience. I don’t know. For now I will focus on the world championship and I have a contract for KTM for a couple more years racing there. Maybe I will do one or two rounds again next year but it depends on the situation.''

9/5/2017 4:45am
It would be awesome if the MXGP would start after SX. Then riders could do SX then the nationals OR GP's.

The Shop

agn5009
9/5/2017 6:30am
I doubt he gives a damn about SX. ''I am 100% sure I can be good at supercross but it just takes time. I’m not talking...
I doubt he gives a damn about SX.

''I am 100% sure I can be good at supercross but it just takes time. I’m not talking about days but months and maybe years of experience. I don’t know. For now I will focus on the world championship and I have a contract for KTM for a couple more years racing there. Maybe I will do one or two rounds again next year but it depends on the situation.''

I bet he does give a damn. I know it's interested him in the past. Watch his segment in the Moto movie he was in (I think moto 3) he basically talks about eventually wanting to come to the USA to race.

And we all knock SX but here's the reality: it's where these guys make the money and gain recognition. Check out the attendance rates in SX vs. MX. I would be willing to bet it's 4 times as many at a SX race. I guarantee T.V. ratings are much higher too.
Motofinne
9/5/2017 6:36am
I hope not. My personal interest in SX is on a downward spiral, unless SX does something drastic i will as always lose interest after the first 10 rounds. Changing the format(not the chase), new more exotic locations and tracks(South America, Australia, Asia, Europe etc).

I would like to see him do 12 rounds of outdoors though. Not now but sometimes in the future. Maybe if he is injured and can't make the first MXGP round but would be able to hit round 1 in USA.
9/5/2017 7:12am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 7:12am
No
bvm111 wrote:
Yes
APLMAN99 wrote:
Please no.......
Not that I'm a fan of the term, but I've heard it referred to as "Supee" plenty of times. First time I heard it was probably like 4 or 5 years ago..
Jt$
9/5/2017 7:38am
Definitely not a new term for SX.
9/5/2017 7:43am
I thought he came over here and tried to ride SX for a little years ago and was way off the pace from everyone else?
ayearinmx
9/5/2017 7:44am
agn5009 wrote:
I bet he does give a damn. I know it's interested him in the past. Watch his segment in the Moto movie he was in (I...
I bet he does give a damn. I know it's interested him in the past. Watch his segment in the Moto movie he was in (I think moto 3) he basically talks about eventually wanting to come to the USA to race.

And we all knock SX but here's the reality: it's where these guys make the money and gain recognition. Check out the attendance rates in SX vs. MX. I would be willing to bet it's 4 times as many at a SX race. I guarantee T.V. ratings are much higher too.
That is a pretty old video and Herlings definitely isn't hurting for money right now
APLMAN99
9/5/2017 8:00am
bvm111 wrote:
Yes
APLMAN99 wrote:
Please no.......
Not that I'm a fan of the term, but I've heard it referred to as "Supee" plenty of times. First time I heard it was probably...
Not that I'm a fan of the term, but I've heard it referred to as "Supee" plenty of times. First time I heard it was probably like 4 or 5 years ago..
Hopefully you slapped the everlasting shit out of whoever you heard it from...........
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/5/2017 8:11am
I thought he came over here and tried to ride SX for a little years ago and was way off the pace from everyone else?
Go take a look at the old video and compare it to the following one. The guy has skills on a bike so give him time to learn the sport and he'll be battling up front in no time in my opinion.

9/5/2017 8:28am
but he wont do SX , Cairoli is going to retire , Gajser going over to USA .... he is going to "sandbag " that 450 class and gets his 100 plus wins and a royal salary from KTM for sticking at MXGP
Motofinne
9/5/2017 8:37am
That is a myth, according to DV.

I remember that this topic was talked about on one of the PulpMX shows and DV said that he looked good. Nothing special but that the narrative about Herlings not able to spin competitive laps on a SX track is a myth.
jbomx363
9/5/2017 8:38am
In reply to Maverick...

Looks pretty good and just a bit and he would do well. What everyone should notice in that video?.... corner speed! He def. has those down, no matter on a SX mini track or an MX track, he can rail.
9/5/2017 8:47am
I'd like to see the focus move away from Supercross, not move more towards it. I hope he stays in the GP's.
9/5/2017 8:54am
agn5009 wrote:
I bet he does give a damn. I know it's interested him in the past. Watch his segment in the Moto movie he was in (I...

ayearinmx wrote:
That is a pretty old video and Herlings definitely isn't hurting for money right now
I'd doubt he's hurting for recognition either. He must be the most talked about (current) rider on the planet and he hasn't been near an AMA supercross. He doesn't need SX.
APLMAN99
9/5/2017 9:07am
agn5009 wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:
Key words being "right now"........

Takes a huge nut to bankroll a really long retirement, though. Retiring at 30ish isn't all that easy, as thousands of pro athletes can attest to. A few extra million in the "bank" can go an awful long way towards maintaining a lifestyle.

Figure most pro athletes have less than a quarter of what they've earned (after taxes, living expenses, etc) so a top notch guy would maybe have $5M left? That'd only equate to about $150K a year in income. I could probably do that, but I don't live the lifestyle that a lot of those guys do, either.

If (and that's an "if" because it's not a certainty) Herlings could squeeze out an extra few million net over a 3-5 year period, it'd make great financial sense to do it. If it's not guaranteed, though, he's probably better off enjoying a longer GP career with a good salary.
RangerLee
9/5/2017 9:15am
Robgvx wrote:
'Supee'? Is that a new one?
Actually the question was supposed to be, if he has any interest in a SLURPEE. Just a typo in the title.

The SX discussion that followed is interesting though.
kongols
9/5/2017 9:17am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 1:11pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Key words being "right now"........ Takes a huge nut to bankroll a really long retirement, though. Retiring at 30ish isn't all that easy, as thousands of...
Key words being "right now"........

Takes a huge nut to bankroll a really long retirement, though. Retiring at 30ish isn't all that easy, as thousands of pro athletes can attest to. A few extra million in the "bank" can go an awful long way towards maintaining a lifestyle.

Figure most pro athletes have less than a quarter of what they've earned (after taxes, living expenses, etc) so a top notch guy would maybe have $5M left? That'd only equate to about $150K a year in income. I could probably do that, but I don't live the lifestyle that a lot of those guys do, either.

If (and that's an "if" because it's not a certainty) Herlings could squeeze out an extra few million net over a 3-5 year period, it'd make great financial sense to do it. If it's not guaranteed, though, he's probably better off enjoying a longer GP career with a good salary.
ruy
9/5/2017 9:28am
Herlings likes the money very much, I think that if it can go to USA and of course also to the Supercross, perhaps after winning these races in the USA is thinking in that, in addition it has much rivalry with Roczen
RangerLee
9/5/2017 9:29am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 9:29am
I still think there is something about coming out in a stadium, the sound of the crowd that you cannot get in outdoors, that appeals more to athletes. The atmosphere as a whole, you are a rock star, the light is on you and everyone can you see you all the time.

I imagine once you experience that for the first time, you just want to be in it as much as possible. If he never tries SX, then the drug won't be in his system.
Motofinne
9/5/2017 9:30am
Like kongols said. Herlings latest KTM contract is rumored to be the largest that any GP rider ever have got.
ruy
9/5/2017 9:41am
RangerLee wrote:
I still think there is something about coming out in a stadium, the sound of the crowd that you cannot get in outdoors, that appeals more...
I still think there is something about coming out in a stadium, the sound of the crowd that you cannot get in outdoors, that appeals more to athletes. The atmosphere as a whole, you are a rock star, the light is on you and everyone can you see you all the time.

I imagine once you experience that for the first time, you just want to be in it as much as possible. If he never tries SX, then the drug won't be in his system.
He already try a little of that, maybe it's something that also helps him decide to go to USA in the future.

He has a contract, but surely if he says that he wants to go to the USA, I do not think he has any problems on the part of KTM

HenryA
9/5/2017 9:50am
Why would Herlings make the same or more money that Roczen does?
Even RV said that the MXGP deal paid WAY less than riding in the US. And that was only 2 years ago when he was (arguably) the fastest guy in the world on a bike. Herlings has only proved himself in MX2. Roczen is a MX2, 250Sx and two-time 450 national champion. Don't forget that Roczen's contract with Honda is a big one AND he rides SX.

Highest paid GP rider? Maybe
Highest paid rider In the world? eeh...
DanDunes818
9/5/2017 9:55am
Watching his bike skills on a mx track over the years on TV and in person in Indiana, I have zero doubt the kid would do well and even win races in SX if he survived the early learning curve. The way he gets his front wheel over stuff and speed rolls singles like a BMX rider, I think he would actually elevate the game in a few ways too.

The kid is amazing on a dirt bike and to think that wouldn't translate to SX is ridiculous. 99% of all US SX riders never raced a SX race before they ever lined up for one, and 99% of them do not have the bike skills that Jeffrey does.
9/5/2017 10:12am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 10:17am
HenryA wrote:
Why would Herlings make the same or more money that Roczen does? Even RV said that the MXGP deal paid WAY less than riding in the...
Why would Herlings make the same or more money that Roczen does?
Even RV said that the MXGP deal paid WAY less than riding in the US. And that was only 2 years ago when he was (arguably) the fastest guy in the world on a bike. Herlings has only proved himself in MX2. Roczen is a MX2, 250Sx and two-time 450 national champion. Don't forget that Roczen's contract with Honda is a big one AND he rides SX.

Highest paid GP rider? Maybe
Highest paid rider In the world? eeh...
what has Kawi paying RV anything to do with KTM paying Herlings ?

i agree with you and I think Roczen makes more money with his Hond deal as Herlings with KTM because of SX , but Herlings gets paid really good , especially considering he races only MX. I think his next deal will be even a lot better , as they need to keep him at KTM for wins in MXGP as Cairoli is going to retire soon ...

but hey we dont know what they make ... all i remember is someone at KTM ( could be Beirer ) not sure who said his new contract was in level with Dungey ... but that doesnt mean a lot , they could get paid even for MX and Dungey gets another big paycheck for SX ... as long as we dont know the numbers , nobody knows what they make

Post a reply to: Anyone ask Herlings if he has any interest in Supee?

The Latest