Anyone Want a Free Helmet Paintjob?

Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 6:34pm
So I have been painting helmets for fun for a year now. Don't want to charge because then its an obligation.
Here's how it usually goes...
-we agree on design and colors, name and number, logos, etc
-i make an Amazon wish list with all the required supplies and paint and send it to you.
-send me a new helmet
-have the supplies shipped directly to me from Amazon (its very difficult for a private individual to ship flammable shit)
-magic
-you send me a shipping label via email and I send your completed helmet back.
I can do logos now, and cartoon characters because I bought a plotter. Full disclosure, Im a traveling airline pilot and sometimes i might be gone for a week with no progress being made.
Im not trying to take food out of established Helmet Painters childrens mouths, so don't think that. The few people who've sent me helmets would not have done it had i charged normal prices.
I only paint one at a time. Follow me on Instagram if you want to see more pics... Airlinepirate_joseph

Yes lots of flames... Just kinda worked out that way. I can do a replica or an original design.

|
coastie44
1/29/2018 2:21pm
Hey those are awesome and I’ve been looking to get a new helmet!
Beeby
1/29/2018 2:26pm
Be VERY careful using a logo like the Red Bull one or a replica of their helmets.I recall a guy on a forum in the past producing a helmet with red bull logos on it and red bull legal team came after him. I remember it because it seemed amazing they would go after the individual amateur helmet painter but they did. They are VERY protective over the use of the logo.

Great designs though, I am very jealous of people with artistic abilities.

The Shop

socalmx716
1/29/2018 3:32pm
Beeby wrote:
Be VERY careful using a logo like the Red Bull one or a replica of their helmets.I recall a guy on a forum in the past...
Be VERY careful using a logo like the Red Bull one or a replica of their helmets.I recall a guy on a forum in the past producing a helmet with red bull logos on it and red bull legal team came after him. I remember it because it seemed amazing they would go after the individual amateur helmet painter but they did. They are VERY protective over the use of the logo.

Is it still a crime if he's not profiting off of it?
1/29/2018 3:37pm
Beeby wrote:
Be VERY careful using a logo like the Red Bull one or a replica of their helmets.I recall a guy on a forum in the past...

Im not selling it, and its my own personal helmet. And they have bigger fish to fry than me... Have you seen the stuff on ebay! Im not too worried about it. Its not a business, no transactions, etc. Itd be the same as red bull suing someone for drawing a red bull logo on a piece of paper, because that effectively what i did
bradmx421
1/29/2018 3:55pm
I follow you on Instagram...im @worldsbestpartsguy that McGrath paintjob you did on the BMX/Snowboard helmet is epic. I have a New Fox Airframe downhill helmet i would love for you to paint like that
luis97
1/29/2018 4:17pm
Wow. I have a Nolan n53 which is matte black which I would love for you to paint.
cjg23307
1/29/2018 4:20pm
Im not selling it, and its my own personal helmet. And they have bigger fish to fry than me... Have you seen the stuff on ebay...
Im not selling it, and its my own personal helmet. And they have bigger fish to fry than me... Have you seen the stuff on ebay! Im not too worried about it. Its not a business, no transactions, etc. Itd be the same as red bull suing someone for drawing a red bull logo on a piece of paper, because that effectively what i did
A buddy of mine prints graphics he printed made up red bull ones. The redbull guys came to the track and basically had him rip them off or he gets the papers for the lawsuit. I am not even sure how they found out or heard about it. He never sold them or anything just made up one set for his bike. So yes I would be very careful with the helmet even though its your personal helmet.
jk367
1/29/2018 4:44pm
Some chicken, factory Phil and Bradshaw replicas. Looks awesome dude
The Candyman
1/29/2018 5:24pm
Ive been asked by sponsors how my graphics guy was getting their logos. Its always awkward lol..
Beeby
1/29/2018 5:42pm
Beeby wrote:

Im not selling it, and its my own personal helmet. And they have bigger fish to fry than me... Have you seen the stuff on ebay...
Reproduction is reproduction. Whether it is for commercial gain or not is not relevant when it comes to unauthorised reproduction.

It’s your call but I promise you they are really hot on it and your personal helmet or not won’t matter, they own the rights to the logo you put on it.

It’s just a friendly tip. Take it as you wish
reded
1/29/2018 6:45pm
I'll bite. I've got a brand new Bell that would love a splash of color. What's the best form of communication?
APLMAN99
1/29/2018 7:36pm
I'd really like that open face helmet if it happened to be a size 3XL........!
1/30/2018 1:29am
Beeby wrote:

Beeby wrote:
Reproduction is reproduction. Whether it is for commercial gain or not is not relevant when it comes to unauthorised reproduction. It’s your call but I promise...
Reproduction is reproduction. Whether it is for commercial gain or not is not relevant when it comes to unauthorised reproduction.

It’s your call but I promise you they are really hot on it and your personal helmet or not won’t matter, they own the rights to the logo you put on it.

No its not... Its artistic license and fair use... Andy Warhol wasn't sued by Campbell's, and its how snl can use ligos and brands. Its simply a piece of artwork.
kkawboy14
1/30/2018 6:25am
Beeby wrote:

Beeby wrote:
Reproduction is reproduction. Whether it is for commercial gain or not is not relevant when it comes to unauthorised reproduction. It’s your call but I promise...

That’s true but it would be pretty rare for a company to go after an amateur for having say a monster logo on their helmet. Now a Pro who had a Monster Logo truly representing themselves as a monster athlete but isn’t one at the sx, probably would hear from them. Also if someone designed a Monster helmet and reproduced thousands of them to sell in Walmart would also probably hear from them
1/30/2018 7:56am
kkawboy14 wrote:
That’s true but it would be pretty rare for a company to go after an amateur for having say a monster logo on their helmet. Now...
That’s true but it would be pretty rare for a company to go after an amateur for having say a monster logo on their helmet. Now a Pro who had a Monster Logo truly representing themselves as a monster athlete but isn’t one at the sx, probably would hear from them. Also if someone designed a Monster helmet and reproduced thousands of them to sell in Walmart would also probably hear from them
Fair use deals with the concept that even though a work is copyrighted, and the artist, photographer, or writer has exclusive rights, that certain uses do not constitute copyright infringement. Some artists are under the misconception that once a work is out there in the wild, that any use requires permission.

Copyright attempts to balance the need for copyright protection with the need for the public to freely exchange knowledge for both educational, artistic and political reasons. While corporations have been voracious regarding any use of copyrighted materials, and have overstepped their bounds and hijacked copyright law to the detriment of freedom of expression, the courts of have often eventually ruled in favor of free speech (We’ll dive into this discussion in more detail later).

The trick, therefore, according to US law, is to balance Article I, Section 8 of the US constitution
with First Amendment rights for freedom of speech, as well as the general welfare and interests of society as a whole.

If I were selling this, yes, it'd be infringement. But under fair use i can create a piece of art without worry. Now red bull could still come after me, but itd not carry any weight.
1/30/2018 7:58am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2018 7:58am
Nice work. You seem to have learned a lot since starting! I have a brand new Arai and wont be riding for a few more months, but there is much more deserving people than myself.
Beeby
1/30/2018 9:14am
Fair use deals with the concept that even though a work is copyrighted, and the artist, photographer, or writer has exclusive rights, that certain uses do...
Fair use deals with the concept that even though a work is copyrighted, and the artist, photographer, or writer has exclusive rights, that certain uses do not constitute copyright infringement. Some artists are under the misconception that once a work is out there in the wild, that any use requires permission.

Copyright attempts to balance the need for copyright protection with the need for the public to freely exchange knowledge for both educational, artistic and political reasons. While corporations have been voracious regarding any use of copyrighted materials, and have overstepped their bounds and hijacked copyright law to the detriment of freedom of expression, the courts of have often eventually ruled in favor of free speech (We’ll dive into this discussion in more detail later).

The trick, therefore, according to US law, is to balance Article I, Section 8 of the US constitution
with First Amendment rights for freedom of speech, as well as the general welfare and interests of society as a whole.

If I were selling this, yes, it'd be infringement. But under fair use i can create a piece of art without worry. Now red bull could still come after me, but itd not carry any weight.
You’ve taken that from a website that refers to art work. Reproducing something like a photo or a drawing is very different to painting someone’s logo onto something. I’ll have to see if I can dig out the message I read from the Red Bull legal people previously but it highlighted how seriously they took it and put the person doing the same (adding their logo to helmets for non payment) in no doubt they would not permit it.
kkawboy14
1/30/2018 10:00am
kkawboy14 wrote:
That’s true but it would be pretty rare for a company to go after an amateur for having say a monster logo on their helmet. Now...
Fair use deals with the concept that even though a work is copyrighted, and the artist, photographer, or writer has exclusive rights, that certain uses do...

The lawsuit to cease and desist would carry a ton of weight, as in it would cost you a fortune even if you were allowed to keep the little piece of art.
1/30/2018 10:15am

Beeby wrote:
You’ve taken that from a website that refers to art work. Reproducing something like a photo or a drawing is very different to painting someone’s logo...
You’ve taken that from a website that refers to art work. Reproducing something like a photo or a drawing is very different to painting someone’s logo onto something. I’ll have to see if I can dig out the message I read from the Red Bull legal people previously but it highlighted how seriously they took it and put the person doing the same (adding their logo to helmets for non payment) in no doubt they would not permit it.
What is a custom painted helmet? Its artwork. Its artwork because I say it is. Regardless, I don't care. I wouldn't do a red bull helmet for anyone anyway. Moot point.
daemon616
1/30/2018 10:34am
A replica helmet would be awesome. That TLD lid got me thinking of a Guy Cooper replica I saw once. Would be a cool to have sitting around the man cave.
Broughton859
1/30/2018 10:37am
Could you give an estimate on cost of supplies? Possibly interested in putting something together but wanting to get some type of idea on cost before looking into it
1/30/2018 2:35pm
Keep up the good work, the open face helmet is an amazing piece of artwork.

Ignore the internet jockeys /lawyers - as usual the empty barrels make the most noise. Pointless people posting about hypothetical's and what if's.
reded
1/30/2018 2:48pm
Soooo......back to this paint job for the cost of supplies and shipping. I'm ready to send it off if you're still wanting to rev up the paint gun.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
1/30/2018 4:56pm
Could you give an estimate on cost of supplies? Possibly interested in putting something together but wanting to get some type of idea on cost before...
Could you give an estimate on cost of supplies? Possibly interested in putting something together but wanting to get some type of idea on cost before looking into it
Yes, would like to know this to. Don't really NEED a helmet, but seems like an opportunity that would be hard to pass up. You can PM if you don't want to list here.
Thanks

Post a reply to: Anyone Want a Free Helmet Paintjob?

The Latest