Anyone Sign Up for the Amateur SX Rounds?

Agent717
11/20/2017 1:28pm
Curious what everyone's thoughts are. What classes are you riding? How mellow/gnarly do you think the tracks will be? Any SX newb tips?

I'm a midpack intermediate guy in AZ and I ride moto often but closest I've been to SX is rolling around the track at Castillo a few times. Riding in the stadium just seems too bitchin to pass up. Should be pretty fun if I make it out alive.

I debated whether I should sign up for Open C or 30+. Open C could be a complete shitshow but there are no skill classes for 30+ so you could end up on the line with some expert/pro level dudes. In the end I signed up for 30+ and hoping it's the right decision.
|
Johnny Depp
11/20/2017 2:26pm
Just in case people don't know:

Another dramatic change to the 2018 season includes the addition of four Supercross Amateur racing events at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on January 21, University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale on January 28, Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on February 25 and Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on March 4, which will give amateur athletes in 29 classes their only chance to compete. So, with those four events coupled with the March 11 and 12 dates where amateur racing will take place at Daytona, aspiring amateurs can race in the same venue on the same weekend as all of the stars of Supercross.

Agent717 I'd get on that track at Castillo and practice as much as you can. Break the sections down and do them over and over without putting in a full lap to get the feel of it. Good luck and keep us posted!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/20/2017 2:40pm
I raced the Amateur day at San Diego in 2003, in the +30 Intermediate class. I too have rolled the track at Castillo Ranch. I don't know how they will run the races in 2008, but the one I raced was far easier than the Castillo Ranch track.
Castillo is more like an actual SX practice track- in other words, jump everything or roll everything. (Or die.)
For the amateur day, they mowed down the whoops, took out the 3rd jump of every triple, and basically made it into a small local MX track. I wasn't disappointed, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/20/2017 2:51pm
Falcon wrote:
I raced the Amateur day at San Diego in 2003, in the +30 Intermediate class. I too have rolled the track at Castillo Ranch. I don't...
I raced the Amateur day at San Diego in 2003, in the +30 Intermediate class. I too have rolled the track at Castillo Ranch. I don't know how they will run the races in 2008, but the one I raced was far easier than the Castillo Ranch track.
Castillo is more like an actual SX practice track- in other words, jump everything or roll everything. (Or die.)
For the amateur day, they mowed down the whoops, took out the 3rd jump of every triple, and basically made it into a small local MX track. I wasn't disappointed, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Considering we're in 2017 it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out how they ran things in 2008 considering we have YouTube and all lol.
11/20/2017 6:09pm
man I'd love to do this. may see you in the 30+ class if I man up and make it to Anaheim.

The Shop

Csb146
11/20/2017 6:25pm
Unless something in my life changes I plan on racing the A2 30+ class. I have some friends that did it back in the day and all said it was fun and worth the experience.
250John
11/22/2017 9:48pm
I've raced some amateur SX years ago when they would have rounds at Pontiac, Indy, and Cleveland. They used to do a decent job taming the track down.

Since 2010 my son and I have raced he amateur race at Daytona. MX Sports does a great job at shortening the track usually just a bit. They also tame the jumps down a bit to make them safe for all the amateurs. They want the program to run smoothly, and the last thing they want is for people to be crashing and getting hurt slowing the program down.

I would not get too worried about the track. They will make it fairly safe for everyone.
Dtat720
11/22/2017 10:28pm
In the late 80’s/ early 90’s ams ran on the same track as pros. First time out it was scary as hell!!! The tracks back then were super sketch haha. Im pretty sure they will be tamed down to the AX level for Ams these days. Fun and safe
11/22/2017 11:10pm
Go look at the Atlanta amateur SX track from last year on YouTube. They toned it down a ton. It looked like it was a track easy enough for pretty much any skill level to ride and feel like they’re riding good.

Post a reply to: Anyone Sign Up for the Amateur SX Rounds?

The Latest