Anybody reading Meta Mag?

NorCal 50+
Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 10:59am
While I am a bit mad at them for keeping me up late last night reading, this mag is really good. Is it catching on (former Vurb guy I think)? It has a really unique angle and writing style. You can read the digital back issues for free.
Not spam, I am just wondering how popular this mag is as an actual print zine. (The Darkest Day in Motocross was riveting, as sad as it is).

https://www.readmeta.com/
|
campo
6/11/2018 12:13pm

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to recognize our efforts. We have been fortunate to work with some truly talented contributors over the years and they have helped to make META what is today. Since the launch of Volume 001 META has allowed us to travel the word, meet amazing humans, truly enjoy our work, and live a life well ridden.

Our readers make this possible and we are beyond grateful for their support.

We are currently wrapping Volume 012 and it will hit the newsstand the first week of August.

Markus422
6/11/2018 12:29pm
Meta is amazing. Need more magazines exploring the culture of motorcycling in general like them.
NorCal 50+
6/11/2018 12:34pm
Cool- it's a great effort and obviously a lot of thought went into it, with the almost literary approach and forward design.
I only read the top of your Monaco story last night- how the heck did you get to do that? That's been my dream ever since I saw the movie "Grand Prix." That's the pinnacle of motorsports.
Are you finding the print market a friendly place these days? I'm curious, as you see mags like Dirt Rider drop away, whether there are niches left to be filled. Glad to see somebody pursuing it.

Tonynz
6/11/2018 12:36pm
I subscribe to Meta, I have every issue, always great reading.

The Shop

campo
6/11/2018 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 1:51pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Cool- it's a great effort and obviously a lot of thought went into it, with the almost literary approach and forward design. I only read the...
Cool- it's a great effort and obviously a lot of thought went into it, with the almost literary approach and forward design.
I only read the top of your Monaco story last night- how the heck did you get to do that? That's been my dream ever since I saw the movie "Grand Prix." That's the pinnacle of motorsports.
Are you finding the print market a friendly place these days? I'm curious, as you see mags like Dirt Rider drop away, whether there are niches left to be filled. Glad to see somebody pursuing it.

Print is a tough place to be without question, but a lot of positive change will come from it. Print will never die, it will constantly change and evolve. Not all will weather the storm.

I encourage anybody who reads this thread to subscribe to their favorite magazines, support their go-to website by buying a shirt, taking a reader survey, clicking on a web banner, or just give a nod of appreciation when possible.

There is a mountain of work put forth from all of the two wheeled pub efforts and the support of their readers is invaluable.

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
6/11/2018 1:47pm
I'm a subscriber, great reading material...
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
6/11/2018 2:36pm
Just signed up for 2 year subscription, and read the "Darkest Day" segment.

So sad, such a tragic event. But very well written story.
campo
6/11/2018 2:54pm
AZ35 wrote:
Just signed up for 2 year subscription, and read the "Darkest Day" segment.

So sad, such a tragic event. But very well written story.

Brett Smith from wewentfast.com wrote the Darkest Day he is a true journalist and nicest guy you will ever meet.
NorCal 50+
6/11/2018 4:23pm
The Darkest Day story convinced me of the true skill and attention to detail Brett Smith brings to the game. You couldn't ask for a better researched and sensitive piece of reporting from any professional journalist, which is something rare in moto journalism. Only a few people could have written that, and it brought a perfect level of respect and information. It's a heart-wrenching deal to contemplate what could have been with these three riders- the pic with the RMs on the stands is a gnarly reminder. I was a Bruce Bunch fan from afar and it still gets me.

I really enjoyed the LaPorte piece too. If you want people to sit down and read print, you need to bring new info in to old stories, and both these articles did so.
Alright, this might even be worth explaining to my wife why a new mag is showing up in the mail. Grinning If nothing else, it gets people off their phones for a bit.
MC752
6/11/2018 4:41pm
Camp is one of the most genuine dudes you will ever meet. Photos, words, mags, websites. His work literally speaks for itself. Hope all is well my friend. Enjoy the posts of you traveling on two wheels. Look forward to seeing you soon hopefully Camp. Mikey.
Brett Smith
Fantasy
4032nd
6/12/2018 6:46pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
The Darkest Day story convinced me of the true skill and attention to detail Brett Smith brings to the game. You couldn't ask for a better...
The Darkest Day story convinced me of the true skill and attention to detail Brett Smith brings to the game. You couldn't ask for a better researched and sensitive piece of reporting from any professional journalist, which is something rare in moto journalism. Only a few people could have written that, and it brought a perfect level of respect and information. It's a heart-wrenching deal to contemplate what could have been with these three riders- the pic with the RMs on the stands is a gnarly reminder. I was a Bruce Bunch fan from afar and it still gets me.

I really enjoyed the LaPorte piece too. If you want people to sit down and read print, you need to bring new info in to old stories, and both these articles did so.
Alright, this might even be worth explaining to my wife why a new mag is showing up in the mail. Grinning If nothing else, it gets people off their phones for a bit.
Hi, NorCal 50+,

Thanks for reading my stories. I really appreciate it. The Darkest Day was one of those stories that you never forget about and I hope to tell it again someday, in a different format.

I've been bless to have great clients who have given me the space to explore my curiosities. As Andrew said, I launched my own brand earlier this year. wenwentfast.com is a place where I can experiment and tell stories that don't quite fit in the magazines. It's a self-funded endeavor but it's fun. There's a support tab on the homepage but I'm not pushing it too hard just yet. Posts on my end have been slow but I have some stuff coming out this summer that I think you'll enjoy.

Thanks again.

brett
tcallahan707
6/12/2018 11:24pm
If you like real artists following their hearts, instead of the cash, then you’ll dig Meta.
6/13/2018 9:05am
I love Meta for the way that they're truly aimed at the culture of racing and riding, like Markus said. It seems they can pull from anything even remotely related to motorcycles and produce interesting stuff. It shows in their video work as well. Being a video guy I love seeing moto-vids break the norm of the "insta-edit."

I recognize a few names from my blog thread, but if anyone here is interested in learning more about Meta's Creative Director, Ben Giese, I recently interviewed him on my personal site: World of Echo.

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/2018/06/01/the-digital-age-with-be…

We mainly talk about Ben's life / career as a whole, but in the beginning and end we focus a lot on the mag.

Post a reply to: Anybody reading Meta Mag?

The Latest