Anybody have Ride Engineering Triple Clamps on an 02-07 Smoker? (Brake Line Guide Inquiry)

Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 11:44am
So my main gripe with the RE & BRP offering is purely an aesthetic issue regarding the front brake line guide, both require bolting directly into your front number plater - atleast when it comes to the CR two strokes. It looks like the Smartop crew is running RE clamps, however, their brake line guide is much smaller/cleaner and does not attach to the front plate. See in the photo I’ve attached below, or any photo of Stewart, Brayton & Friese. I’m just wondering if anybody has an alternative solution, or maybe have fabricated their own guide on one of these clamps before.

I should clarify that I have the Polisport Restyle Kit installed, and if I went with the RE clamps I’d have to run an actual 18’/19’ CRF450 front plate/fender as the bolt mounts are realigned.

|
Wade221
3/12/2019 2:41pm
I think those are Xtrigs. But I agree with you. I like the RE clamps, but wish I could maintain the stock brake line guide
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
3/12/2019 2:46pm
Wade221 wrote:
I think those are Xtrigs. But I agree with you. I like the RE clamps, but wish I could maintain the stock brake line guide
Maybe RE is supplying the team with other parts and not clamps, which would be my mistake. If you go to their Instagram they’ve been heavily advertising the team. And any photos of Stewart/Friese/Brayton have this same clean brake line guide, which is similar to an 18/19’ stock CRF450. There has to be a way to fabricate something to work.
Wade221
3/12/2019 2:52pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
Maybe RE is supplying the team with other parts and not clamps, which would be my mistake. If you go to their Instagram they’ve been heavily...
Maybe RE is supplying the team with other parts and not clamps, which would be my mistake. If you go to their Instagram they’ve been heavily advertising the team. And any photos of Stewart/Friese/Brayton have this same clean brake line guide, which is similar to an 18/19’ stock CRF450. There has to be a way to fabricate something to work.
Been thinking the same thing, man. I want a set of 21.5 offset. But I don’t want to rivet the routing on the number plate or get cycra one with intergrated one. I wondered in fabricated a mount onto the clamp would look sketchy or ruin the integrity. Trust me, it’s been thought about
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
3/13/2019 12:26am
Dizzy714 wrote:
Maybe RE is supplying the team with other parts and not clamps, which would be my mistake. If you go to their Instagram they’ve been heavily...
Wade221 wrote:
Been thinking the same thing, man. I want a set of 21.5 offset. But I don’t want to rivet the routing on the number plate or...
Been thinking the same thing, man. I want a set of 21.5 offset. But I don’t want to rivet the routing on the number plate or get cycra one with intergrated one. I wondered in fabricated a mount onto the clamp would look sketchy or ruin the integrity. Trust me, it’s been thought about
Let me know if you ever take a stab at it!

Anybody else have any other ideas?

The Shop

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
3/13/2019 9:42am
The team is running Xtrig clamps (without stickers), which have the appropriate mount for the brake line guide. Ride Engineering clamps do not include the brake line guide mount, hence the need to run one on your number plate. Nothing you can do about it really, if you really want the standard brake line guide, you can't use RE clamps.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/13/2019 11:34am
You could fab up a piece that mounts to the underside of your tripleclamp where the front fender bolts go. You'd want to run a washer or two in all the other bolt holes, and this would reduce your tire-to-fender clearance by the total width of your piece or the washers.
KawiGuy26
3/13/2019 1:42pm
Dizzy714 wrote:
So my main gripe with the RE & BRP offering is purely an aesthetic issue regarding the front brake line guide, both require bolting directly into...
So my main gripe with the RE & BRP offering is purely an aesthetic issue regarding the front brake line guide, both require bolting directly into your front number plater - atleast when it comes to the CR two strokes. It looks like the Smartop crew is running RE clamps, however, their brake line guide is much smaller/cleaner and does not attach to the front plate. See in the photo I’ve attached below, or any photo of Stewart, Brayton & Friese. I’m just wondering if anybody has an alternative solution, or maybe have fabricated their own guide on one of these clamps before.

I should clarify that I have the Polisport Restyle Kit installed, and if I went with the RE clamps I’d have to run an actual 18’/19’ CRF450 front plate/fender as the bolt mounts are realigned.

Hey Dizzy, I troll all the time here, but I finally decided to make an acocunt. I used RE clamps for years, and I always hated the number plate guide because it chews up your cable, and looks terrible. I ended up buying a Motion Pro bead buddy, stripping the color off so it was raw aluminum, and tapped a thread into the bottom clamp where I could mount it to. Then, I was able to utilize the stock Kawi guide after mounting it to the bead buddy, and it was in the perfect location. It took some creativity, and a few bead buddy's to make it perfect, but it worked, and never harmed my clamps. In fact, I used this on about 4 more sets of RE clamps throughout the years. I've known Adrian for quite some time, and showed him this piece. He was impressed and said it is a great solotion. Hope this helps!

I'll try to round up some pictures so you can have a visual refernce as well.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3695th
3/14/2019 11:44am
Dizzy714 wrote:
So my main gripe with the RE & BRP offering is purely an aesthetic issue regarding the front brake line guide, both require bolting directly into...

KawiGuy26 wrote:
Hey Dizzy, I troll all the time here, but I finally decided to make an acocunt. I used RE clamps for years, and I always hated...
Hey Dizzy, I troll all the time here, but I finally decided to make an acocunt. I used RE clamps for years, and I always hated the number plate guide because it chews up your cable, and looks terrible. I ended up buying a Motion Pro bead buddy, stripping the color off so it was raw aluminum, and tapped a thread into the bottom clamp where I could mount it to. Then, I was able to utilize the stock Kawi guide after mounting it to the bead buddy, and it was in the perfect location. It took some creativity, and a few bead buddy's to make it perfect, but it worked, and never harmed my clamps. In fact, I used this on about 4 more sets of RE clamps throughout the years. I've known Adrian for quite some time, and showed him this piece. He was impressed and said it is a great solotion. Hope this helps!

I'll try to round up some pictures so you can have a visual refernce as well.
Hey man, I appreciate you taking the time to sign up for an account to help me out. You just allowed yourself to be able to fully utilize this forum for what it is!

What you decided to do is exactly what I was hoping to hear some sort of a self fabricated success story. When you get a chance, pictures would definitely be appreciated. Thanks again, man.

Post a reply to: Anybody have Ride Engineering Triple Clamps on an 02-07 Smoker? (Brake Line Guide Inquiry)

The Latest