Anybody else find the GoPro Hero mystifying and tempermental?

Sierra Ranger
6/24/2020 8:26pm
I have taken to deleting everything on my GoPro every time because it mixes up the dates, which makes finding videos really hard to find if you have a lot of videos saved on the camera.
Last night I wanted to use it for a little trail riding today, so I plugged it in, hoping to charge it. It was on the computer USB (when I plug into the wall it doesn't seem to charge) for several hours.
When I go to use it, it's a 45% charge, despite being plugged in all night. And better yet, there are literally 5000-6000 JPEG photos of my ceiling on the thing, like it was snapping photos non-stop for hours. I have never even intentionally put it on the "photo" setting.
It's constantly asking me to "tap to open" files- which is annoying as hell, because 9 times out of 10, it doesn't work. I like the footage it gets, but damn if this thing isn't a PITA to charge and use. Anybody else find the Hero a real challenge to use?
|
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
6/24/2020 8:33pm
I'm Not very Tech savvy so I definitely don't have the answers, but I'm trying to learn to use one and I can't even figure out how to transfer the files from the gopro to the Lap top.
I can plug it in and watch the videos but I don't see anyway to move them ??
Not being technically inclined is very difficult in these modern times!
SoCalMX70
6/24/2020 8:35pm
Honestly, every single one I've had has pretty much been a PITA to use. The hardware is generally good... It's the software that seems to need constant help. And yes, charging on my Hero 7 is intermittent at best.

There's days where I'll take it with me to the track just say "fu** it" and leave it sitting in my truck because I didn't check if it actually charged to full.

When I do use it... Get home, try to connect to my phone (takes several tries to connect, let alone download the media), and do a quick 1 min edit. 7-8 app crashes and an hour or 2 later and I might have something to share...
Sierra Ranger
6/24/2020 9:25pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I'm Not very Tech savvy so I definitely don't have the answers, but I'm trying to learn to use one and I can't even figure out...
I'm Not very Tech savvy so I definitely don't have the answers, but I'm trying to learn to use one and I can't even figure out how to transfer the files from the gopro to the Lap top.
I can plug it in and watch the videos but I don't see anyway to move them ??
Not being technically inclined is very difficult in these modern times!
Easiest way I have found is to just click and drag the file off the GoPro window onto the desktop, to transfer. If I try and watch them on the camera itself, they take forever to load up. Or you can maybe right click on the file in the open GoPro window and select "move" or "copy."

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
6/24/2020 9:37pm
This is why I haven’t upgraded. My Hero 2 and 3 are still working great. Maybe old technology, but still works just fine.
MudPup545
6/25/2020 2:55am
Is it just GoPro or are other brands a PITA as well? And I’m like the poster above, I’m not exactly tech-savvy which puts me at a handicap right out of the gate.
DA498
6/25/2020 5:30am
MudPup545 wrote:
Is it just GoPro or are other brands a PITA as well? And I’m like the poster above, I’m not exactly tech-savvy which puts me at...
Is it just GoPro or are other brands a PITA as well? And I’m like the poster above, I’m not exactly tech-savvy which puts me at a handicap right out of the gate.
I’d like more input on all of the above from you guys. I’ve always wanted to get one but I’m way behind on technology usage. After seeing this I’m bummed. Sucks to get old.
afk66
6/25/2020 6:05am
MudPup545 wrote:
Is it just GoPro or are other brands a PITA as well? And I’m like the poster above, I’m not exactly tech-savvy which puts me at...
DA498 wrote:
I’d like more input on all of the above from you guys. I’ve always wanted to get one but I’m way behind on technology usage. After...
I’d like more input on all of the above from you guys. I’ve always wanted to get one but I’m way behind on technology usage. After seeing this I’m bummed. Sucks to get old.
I use a Gopro frequently - and really haven't experienced the problems / dislikes those have posted above. I've been using from the Hero 4 Black to my most recent Hero 8.

What I don't like but it makes sense from a file management perspective as well as upload times - is Anything high resolution it splits the recordings into 7 or 11 min segments depending on resolution. The idea behind this is one it takes less time to upload and two your less likely to lose all your footage should something corrupt it.

My issue with that isn't that it does it. Gopro got rid of Gopro Studio software which was free. You could use this to easily put your videos back together making one seamless video to upload or save. You can find an older version which I've done recently and it seems it keeps Gopro Studio when it updates the Camera software which is uses to control the camera from your device / laptop or upload media to it. I just recently did this so I'll post back if it seems like a good work around. Otherwise you'd need to purchase or find a program that will let you piece your extended videos back together for one clip.

Gopro does have Quick Stories, or Quick - but that doesn't allow you to piece together video segments that I know of. And from reading about it everyone suggested going to GoPro studio if you can find it to download which I was able too.

I've had much better success by not using the camera to upload. Instead pull the Micro SD card, and use if you have one on your laptop or desktop it's SD slot. The computer still thinks it's your gopro and your not introducing additional hardware to do the upload. This seems to just be a cleaner way of doing things.

crowe176
6/25/2020 6:32am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2020 6:33am
First thing you should do, is go on amazon and buy a charger and a few extra battery’s and a larger SD card. The stuff that comes with it is bare bones what you need to operate it.

Only problem I have is same as AFK, is splitting videos.. Not a huge issue and I’m sure there’s a good reason for it, but other than that, my original Hero was good and my 7 black with the stabilization is awesome and worth the upgrade. Being able to upload to my phone and edit has been great as well.

They’re kind of clunky to operate sometimes but they’re not the worst product.
G-man
6/25/2020 9:43am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2020 9:44am
crowe176 wrote:
First thing you should do, is go on amazon and buy a charger and a few extra battery’s and a larger SD card. The stuff that...
First thing you should do, is go on amazon and buy a charger and a few extra battery’s and a larger SD card. The stuff that comes with it is bare bones what you need to operate it.

Only problem I have is same as AFK, is splitting videos.. Not a huge issue and I’m sure there’s a good reason for it, but other than that, my original Hero was good and my 7 black with the stabilization is awesome and worth the upgrade. Being able to upload to my phone and edit has been great as well.

They’re kind of clunky to operate sometimes but they’re not the worst product.
"Upload and edit on phone" ???

Do you have the GoPro video editing program on your phone?

That has been my problem I have the original GoPro hero I have never Uploaded anything to YouTube.

So I tried recently but want to edit the video before doing so.
Downloaded to my computer and now it says that the my computer with windows 8 is out of date and can't download the GoPro video editing software.

So I need to get a new computer and do this fuck that bullshit!

yes like OP I'm not Tech savvy either I'm old... Sad
VetMX.com
6/27/2020 12:59pm
I had one of the originals and loved it until it fell off the bike at TWS. This new one records 17 minutes only. Sometimes it will start back up and sometimes I have to reboot. There is not even a setting for this so who knows?
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
6/27/2020 1:16pm
I went from a Hero2 to hero8. Picture is much better but I mount mine under the visor upside down and the 8 has no settings to change that so everything is recorded upside down . I then have to change it in editing . My first time using the new one my video speed was too fast even though it was set at normal. It seems more complicated to use the new one.
afk66
6/27/2020 1:40pm
SKIDLID wrote:
I went from a Hero2 to hero8. Picture is much better but I mount mine under the visor upside down and the 8 has no settings...
I went from a Hero2 to hero8. Picture is much better but I mount mine under the visor upside down and the 8 has no settings to change that so everything is recorded upside down . I then have to change it in editing . My first time using the new one my video speed was too fast even though it was set at normal. It seems more complicated to use the new one.
My 8 auto rotated, there’s a setting to “lock” it from doing so. Maybe you have that set? I’ll look tonight and write down how to change it.
afk66
6/27/2020 1:43pm
SKIDLID wrote:
I went from a Hero2 to hero8. Picture is much better but I mount mine under the visor upside down and the 8 has no settings...
afk66 wrote:
My 8 auto rotated, there’s a setting to “lock” it from doing so. Maybe you have that set? I’ll look tonight and write down how to...
My 8 auto rotated, there’s a setting to “lock” it from doing so. Maybe you have that set? I’ll look tonight and write down how to change it.
Actually here’s a link on how to set it, I’ll confirm later but here’s someone it sounds like with a similar issue that was resolved by changing the setting.

GoPro rotation setting
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
6/27/2020 1:54pm
SKIDLID wrote:
afk66 wrote:
My 8 auto rotated, there’s a setting to “lock” it from doing so. Maybe you have that set? I’ll look tonight and write down how to...
afk66 wrote:
Actually here’s a link on how to set it, I’ll confirm later but here’s someone it sounds like with a similar issue that was resolved by...
Actually here’s a link on how to set it, I’ll confirm later but here’s someone it sounds like with a similar issue that was resolved by changing the setting.

GoPro rotation setting
Thank you!!
SKIDLID
Fantasy
918th
6/27/2020 1:59pm
SKIDLID wrote:
afk66 wrote:
afk66 wrote:
Actually here’s a link on how to set it, I’ll confirm later but here’s someone it sounds like with a similar issue that was resolved by...

GoPro rotation setting
Easy peasy, it worked.
afk66
6/27/2020 2:24pm
afk66 wrote:
afk66 wrote:

GoPro rotation setting
SKIDLID wrote:
Easy peasy, it worked.
Awesome glad I could help!
Chance1216
6/27/2020 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2020 12:05am
It took awhile to familiarize myself with my Hero 5 black I picked up. The only setting I have trouble figuring out is going from dark woods to open trails in full daylight. It seems to wash out a bit.

Post a reply to: Anybody else find the GoPro Hero mystifying and tempermental?

The Latest