Any update on Jessy Nelson?

ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/16/2016 3:08pm
hillbilly wrote:
Great deal. I hope some guys start wearing good protection. My bull riding vest was the best thing i ever put on. It would need some...
Great deal.

I hope some guys start wearing good protection. My bull riding vest was the best thing i ever put on. It would need some mods for cooling maybe, but by god there was no way a peg or bull horn was going thru it.

All the TLD guys wear CE certified chest protectors under their jersey... Troy made it mandatory for his riders I believe.
IceMan446
8/16/2016 4:23pm
hillbilly wrote:
Great deal. I hope some guys start wearing good protection. My bull riding vest was the best thing i ever put on. It would need some...
Great deal.

I hope some guys start wearing good protection. My bull riding vest was the best thing i ever put on. It would need some mods for cooling maybe, but by god there was no way a peg or bull horn was going thru it.

ML512 wrote:
All the TLD guys wear CE certified chest protectors under their jersey... Troy made it mandatory for his riders I believe.
ML I thought that he only required protection on the front? No?

I could be completely wrong but I thought I heard that when it was being floated around about making it mandatory for every rider.
500guy
8/17/2016 7:05am
Continued positive thoughts & prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

The Shop

Steely Dan
8/17/2016 7:18am
Pourcel and Christian Craig have both gone through a somewhat similar injury, haven't they? Button's was a little more severe. Anyone know the specifics on Craig's? Pourcel's?
Starcrossed
8/17/2016 7:33am
Nelson Update
1 hour ago

250 Words: Nelson Update - Motocross

We were lucky enough to get in touch with Jessy Nelson Tuesday, who is staying at Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown, NY. Jessy, who is with his parents and friends like Mario Panagiotopoulos from Red Bull, spoke to us on the phone, and is clearly in good spirits. He has a long fight on his hands but he still loves this sport and knows the industry has its arms around him as he begins the long fight to get back to health.

“Definitely have a long road to recovery and we just have to see how this all turns out,” he said. “I’m a huge fan of this sport and I love that I’ve been able to be part of it for so long, and I still want to be involved, if I’m racing again or whatever it may be.

"Right now I just have to concentrate on getting better. I’m so glad to have all of these fans and friends lifting me up like they have. It’s good to know people aren’t thinking I’m just some punk kid on a motorcycle, or someone who is out there just taking people out on the track! All those positive thoughts really help lift you up while this is going on.”

As for the latest, it’s really hard to pinpoint what his current health means, because it could very possibly change over time—spinal injuries and recoveries are hard to predict. Jessy still doesn’t have feeling or movement in his legs, but he’s starting to regain feeling through his chest and ribs, which is said to be a good sign. It’s very early in the process but things are improving.

What is known is that Jessy has fractured T4 and T5 vertebra, but his spinal cord in this area was stretched not cut or broken. From the MRI it appears the spinal cord is not damaged, but he has no feeling from his mid-lower chest down. At this time, when there is an injury like this, the spinal cord goes into shock and the tissue around the area is swollen, too, so there can be no real prognosis for quite some time. This is a point that Jessy and his group would like to make clear: early judgements on how this will turn out are not possible.
If you wish to help Jessy in his recovery, you can donate here.

If you wish to help Jessy in his recovery, you can donate here. Cudby

The T4 and T5 have to be stabilized to prevent further injury, so he will have surgery today (Wednesday) to fuse the T2-T7 together. The hope is that after five to seven days of recovery in New York, he should be able to make the trip back to California to start rehab.

Jessy is also thankful to have very loyal supporters in the industry. He’s actually been one of the most loyal riders we know, racing for the Troy Lee Designs team since his amateur days. He thanks all of the sponsors that have been behind him, including TLD, KTM, Red Bull, FMF, Alpinestars and also Honda, which backed the TLD squad through 2014. He’s also very thankful for Dr. John Bodnar and the whole Asterisk Mobile Medic team, and also to Wings for Life, which has given him some guidance. Also, a shoutout to privateer racer Cody Williams, who sacrificed his own race to help get Jessy free from his bike (we’ll have more on Williams here on Racer X Online this week).

Jessy doesn’t remember the crash because it happened so quickly, but he says he definitely knows he’s crashed much harder than this. He said that before he knew it, he was just trying to get back up and into the race. Right now his back and ribs are sore but that’s starting to get better, and he threw out special props to his new TLD SE4 helmet, which he believes protected him from a concussion.

For now, he will focus on rest and recovery. We’ll have further updates as Jessy and his family provide them. He made it clear he’s not hiding from anything. “I don’t mind being public about this whole process,” he says. “It’s just one of those things that happens in racing.”

We encourage everyone to keep the positive vibes coming. The Road 2 Recovery has set up a fund to help Jessy in this time. You can donate here.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
8/17/2016 8:00am
Hang in there Jessy, lots of people thinking about you.

Stay strong!
KBOLTZ
8/17/2016 8:18am
Thoughts and prayers from our family are going out to the Nelson's. Your a strong man Jessy. You got this!
8/17/2016 9:00am
Sending my prayers to Jessy.

Steven Frosssard had a similar injury in Latvia last year. I follow him on IG & you can tell it was/is a long hard road to recovery. I believe he is walking now but what extent I don't know. Anyone have any updates on Frossard?

AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
8/17/2016 12:26pm
Sending my prayers to Jessy. Steven Frosssard had a similar injury in Latvia last year. I follow him on IG & you can tell it was/is...

Steven Frosssard had a similar injury in Latvia last year. I follow him on IG & you can tell it was/is a long hard road to recovery. I believe he is walking now but what extent I don't know. Anyone have any updates on Frossard?

It was in Italy that Frossard crashed. About a month ago I read that he had undergone surgery earlier this summer and was hoping to be on a bike yet this year.

I hope Jessy will have a similar, bright outcome ahead of him.
8/17/2016 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2016 1:18pm
Sending my prayers to Jessy. Steven Frosssard had a similar injury in Latvia last year. I follow him on IG & you can tell it was/is...

AHRMA361 wrote:
It was in Italy that Frossard crashed. About a month ago I read that he had undergone surgery earlier this summer and was hoping to be...
It was in Italy that Frossard crashed. About a month ago I read that he had undergone surgery earlier this summer and was hoping to be on a bike yet this year.

I hope Jessy will have a similar, bright outcome ahead of him.
That's good to hear but it was definitely Latvia. You maybe confusing the crash he had with EB777.

Edit sorry you are absolutely correct, I could have sworn it was Latvia.
scotearl
8/17/2016 2:25pm
Praying for a quick and uneventful recovery.
Underdog999
8/17/2016 6:55pm
Jessy seems like a great kid and I am hoping he will recover completely and quickly. I can't imagine what he must be going through, I just hope he isn't in too much pain. We all know the danger in this sport, but when something horrible actually happens to you or your family member due to a moto incident, it's like you are living in some weird dream. All the best to Jessy and to his family in this tough time.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
8/17/2016 6:57pm
Jessy seems like a great kid and I am hoping he will recover completely and quickly. I can't imagine what he must be going through, I...
Jessy seems like a great kid and I am hoping he will recover completely and quickly. I can't imagine what he must be going through, I just hope he isn't in too much pain. We all know the danger in this sport, but when something horrible actually happens to you or your family member due to a moto incident, it's like you are living in some weird dream. All the best to Jessy and to his family in this tough time.
Well said. Been thinking about him and his family.
aeffertz
8/17/2016 7:49pm
Must be frightening not being able to move and not knowing if you ever will be again.

Positive vibes to Jessy. Get well soon!
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/17/2016 9:59pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/17/147547/s1200_KJSC_2.jpg[/img] Prayers sent for a full recovery.

Prayers sent for a full recovery.

Damn, that brings back memories. Is that Hanford ? Thanks for posting that !!
Turbojez
8/18/2016 2:28am
Stay strong and get well soon Jessy.
Damn those kind of injuries are scary, Props to the guy that helped when help was needed. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery for Nelson!
MotoMalyDad
8/18/2016 7:36am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/17/147547/s1200_KJSC_2.jpg[/img] Prayers sent for a full recovery.

Prayers sent for a full recovery.

langhammx wrote:
Damn, that brings back memories. Is that Hanford ? Thanks for posting that !!
No that was Santa Maria CCMX at the fairgrounds. I remember this insanely fast kid on his KTM 50 . Man we thought Jessy is a special rider. Down to earth along with his whole family . He was out just for the practice day . My son in his Honda red had just gotten his new KTM 50 for his birthday. I think he signed my son's Moto Kids magazine that day.
ocscottie
8/18/2016 9:20am
"What is known is that Jessy has fractured T4 and T5 vertebra"

That is the same two i shattered.
swtwtwtw
8/18/2016 11:46am
ocscottie wrote:

me too, however I was able to walk away. go figure. of course, best wishes during his recovery.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/18/2016 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2016 5:46pm
ocscottie wrote:

swtwtwtw wrote:
me too, however I was able to walk away. go figure. of course, best wishes during his recovery.
Damn Scotty, you got lucky
I had my worst ever get off last year and had compression fractures on my T-3,4,5,6 and 8. No surgeries, just a few months off work and will probably come back to haunt me with all the other injuries later in life. I feel so lucky, looking back on how Bad it could have been.

I would think that Jessy is probably in surgery about now, I sure hope that things go well for him and he's able to get back to a normal life. There's plenty of guys who've had this same scenario and ended up ok and back on the motorcycle a year later. He's sure got a great attitude towards the situation !! Cool
MX45
8/18/2016 2:48pm
ocscottie wrote:

Same here.
Hoping best outcome for Jessy.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
8/18/2016 6:27pm
ocscottie wrote:

MX45 wrote:
Same here.
Hoping best outcome for Jessy.
I broke my T4 and T5 also
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/18/2016 6:51pm
Dr Wario wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/08/18/147669/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

I just saw that. It's not uncommon for it to take a few days for feeling to come back. The next week will be important for him and his recovery. Hang in there Jessy, you have a lot of people pulling for you !!
HuskyEd
8/18/2016 8:10pm
Keep up the good fight Jessy. So many people passing on positive thoughts to you. Get well soon!

Post a reply to: Any update on Jessy Nelson?

The Latest