Any trick to reduce play in Odi throttle?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2019 9:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2019 9:34 PM

Love the odi grips on my rmz450. Except for the play in the throttle. It's sloppy side to side and in the take up a little. I feel like its gotta be effecting my throttle control with how much play is in it. Is there a way to reduce it?

|

8/31/2019 9:54 PM

You’re talking about the new grip they make, I bought a few, and every one has slop, I sent an email to ODI about it a couple of months ago, no response...

|

8/31/2019 10:22 PM

How about this... instead of bitching and moaning.. don’t buy and try another brand.. just a thought

|

8/31/2019 10:48 PM

Twist it.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

9/1/2019 1:49 AM

mwssquad827 wrote:

How about this... instead of bitching and moaning.. don’t buy and try another brand.. just a thought

Wot?! I didnt read any bitching or moaning, all he asked was for help...you must be one angry sad man

|

9/1/2019 2:41 AM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Is that what your partner tells you when you complain about the dishwashing liquid w00t
Lighten up mate smile

|

9/1/2019 4:40 AM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Someone’s a bit angry today. Dude just asked for help

|

9/1/2019 4:42 AM

I had a pair do that and I couldn’t take it, bought a works connection throttle tube and normal grips been happy ever since lol

|

9/1/2019 6:02 AM

motomike894 wrote:

I had a pair do that and I couldn’t take it, bought a works connection throttle tube and normal grips been happy ever since lol

IM SUPER ANGRY!! 😂😂 just saying try a new one if you don’t like it, sounds like he tried to trouble shoot to fix it.. Moto mike had the same issue and went with a differ brand🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️..

Ps 10 thumbs down? I thought I would get more than that😢😂

|

9/1/2019 6:58 AM

motomike894 wrote:

mwssquad827 wrote:

IM SUPER ANGRY!! 😂😂 just saying try a new one if you don’t like it, sounds like he tried to trouble shoot to fix it.. Moto mike had the same issue and went with a differ brand🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️..

Ps 10 thumbs down? I thought I would get more than that😢😂

16 now.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/1/2019 7:07 AM

Which grip is this? Emig Pro V2? I’ll be meeting those guys next week so happy to raise this point to them if I can get specifics

|

9/1/2019 7:09 AM

Emig has done a few install videos you can search with essentially the same grip. If you install the grip then move the grip and housing as far against the bar as possible then move out just a little for play it will help.

|

9/1/2019 9:27 AM

MXBen711 wrote:

Which grip is this? Emig Pro V2? I’ll be meeting those guys next week so happy to raise this point to them if I can get specifics

Yes it is the pro v2 the newest version that came out this year.

|

9/1/2019 9:27 AM

231 wrote:

Emig has done a few install videos you can search with essentially the same grip. If you install the grip then move the grip and housing as far against the bar as possible then move out just a little for play it will help.

Ill give that a try for sure thanks.

|

9/1/2019 3:53 PM

Probably not the best answer, but the blue motion pro tube worked best for me after trying several on my rmz.

What about the new pro taper lock on grips?

|

9/1/2019 4:22 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Probably not the best answer, but the blue motion pro tube worked best for me after trying several on my rmz.

So the new odi grips are tapered and fit my hand so well. I really dig them. I may have to try something else out tho.

|

9/1/2019 4:26 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

So the new odi grips are tapered and fit my hand so well. I really dig them. I may have to try something else out tho.

Check out the pro taper ?

I've got big hands so pillow tops are my go to

|

9/1/2019 11:08 PM

231 wrote:

isn't this how it's done in all situations anyway? With any throttle barrel? I've always adjusted side to side and "twist" play by moving the housing and adjusting the cable.

This thread is weird... silly

|

James

9/1/2019 11:14 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

I used to run the ODI grips for years. I tried out the Pro Taper lock-on grips a month ago and i'm not going back to ODI, that is for sure.

|

9/1/2019 11:36 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

I used to run the ODI grips for years. I tried out the Pro Taper lock-on grips a month ago and i'm not going back to ODI, that is for sure.

What do you like better about the ProTaper lock-ons vs the ODIs?

|

9/2/2019 7:04 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Kelz87 wrote:

What do you like better about the ProTaper lock-ons vs the ODIs?

They feel much more like "normal" rubber grips, it seems like the windowed core they use actually works.

|

9/2/2019 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2019 8:43 AM

231 wrote:

SoCalMX70 wrote:

isn't this how it's done in all situations anyway? With any throttle barrel? I've always adjusted side to side and "twist" play by moving the housing and adjusting the cable.

This thread is weird... silly

You are not alone!

You could also do the old nickel in the tube trick as well

BTW the emigs were a little rough on my hands until they broke in. I switched to the ruffian and am not going back. Ha!

|

9/3/2019 11:37 AM

yz133rider wrote:

Love the odi grips on my rmz450. Except for the play in the throttle. It's sloppy side to side and in the take up a little. I feel like its gotta be effecting my throttle control with how much play is in it. Is there a way to reduce it?

While I'm with SoCalMX70 on setting up a throttle, there is a simple, cheap solution to take up some of the axial play between the housing and the throttle tube.

When you take the ODI grips out of the plastic package, grab a pair of scissors and cut one or two washers from the thick transparent plastic. The inside should be just large enough to fit over the bar freely and the outside should be smaller than the part of the throttle cam that the cables ride on. Make sure there are no burrs or snags on the edges or you risk a stuck throttle.

Try the fit with one of these washers. If there's still too much play, try adding a second one, and so-on. Don't put so many in there that it binds up when you tighten the housing screws. Nobody wants a stuck throttle.

Some bikes (70's & 80's ) used to come with a little nylon washer like that as a wear surface inside the throttle housing.

Whatever you do, you need that throttle tube touching the end of the bar when you push in on it, otherwise it will crack in a small tip-over. I'm sure SoCalMX70 and the other guys saying to take up the slack by moving the housing are doing it that way. Also, Pro-Taper bars come with that stupid end-plug now... That plug just breaks throttle tubes, so get rid of it.

|

9/3/2019 11:38 AM

yz133rider wrote:

Moved to Tech Help/Race Shop.

|