Any regrets for riding/racing too soon after injury?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2016 3:59pm
I was motivated to make this post after still feeling some residual discomfort in my left ninth rib getting dressed right now that I broke 26 months ago in a karting mishap near Cincy. I raced two twenty minute REM motos six days later (day of A1) which in hindsight probably wasn't one of my better ideas. This rib never healed properly and now it is a non union deal.

Contrast this experience to the four broken ribs I sustained on 1/16/16 that have healed already and I have zero issues with. Difference is I haven't been on a bike yet.

To be clear I guess I don't actually don't have any regrets about racing with the broken rib. My reasoning is I have other pain spots on my body so have just added it to the list.
|
mx617
3/12/2016 10:04am
Not so far, closest I've come is a dislocated collar bone and race the next weekend. But it's healed up pretty good. Still displaced but moves freely. Another was torn acl, got cleared by doc .6 months after surgery. Go ride, tipped over at 3 mph and tore it again. Should have waited a bit longer there I think. but I am little worried about this last one. Stretched/tore some nerves coming out of my neck, almost Lost use of my left arm and it's not back to normal after a year. Worried if I land on the head again it'll be permanent.
motosmith
3/12/2016 10:05am
You broke four ribs less than 60 days ago? How'd you do that?

Sad
bgpn35
3/12/2016 11:08am
Well I broke my collarbone a while back and hadn't been released completely to ride. I couldn't stand it any longer so I decided to ride to just get a feel to see what I could take as far as bumps and stuff. I was riding tight and the track was a little muddy, probably not the best way to start out. Anyway I tucked the front end and landed on the opposite shoulder spraining my AC joint thinking I messed it up at the time. I just got cleared to ride on the collarbone and now I have this but the doc says it will be fine in a few weeks. after surgery for a torn labrum and rotator on the right with a broken collarbone and now the left with a sprain all she could do was look and laugh at me! Haha

The Shop

Cygnus
3/12/2016 11:58am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2016 11:59am
I raced the day after my vasectomy back in 2000. I won the state championship that year but the two weeks after the race I wanted to die. Flat track not Moto.
Mit12
3/12/2016 12:03pm
I can not say that I have regrets but I will say at age 53 I pay for it every day.
NetMXer
3/12/2016 1:11pm
Not from coming back too soon but from racing with an injury. I injured my knee early in the season and raced the rest of the year with a torn ACL and torn cartilage figuring I'd get it reconstructed at the end of the season. Little did I know the long term damage I did to my knee by racing with it like that. I ended up having the knee replaced at 46 years old.
NHtoWA421
3/12/2016 2:12pm
i have a stupid one. let pride and willpower cloud my judgement. I fractured my heal and badly sprained my ankle at washougal last summer. (in fairness, i didnt know how bad it was at the time... but i knew it was pretty f*cked) 1 week before i was supposed to run a relay race in colorado, and 2 weeks before a half marathon in PA... Needless to say my relay team was pissed that i was hurt, and i wasnt about to let them down... SO i sacked up, popped some ibuprophen and ran my 30+ miles over those 24 hours. and ran them well. my left foot was in emense pain, and i didnt take off my shoe until the end, and i have never seen a bruise quite like that...

Well, the next weekend i found myself in Pennsylvania running a half marathon for time.... yup, im an idiot. same deal, ice heavy, pop pills, through Lamb of God on the ipod, and run. Got 4th in my age group, and 17th overall. needless to say, i was pretty stoked all things considered. After that, i got it looked at, and the doc told me i was a "moron". I took 2 months off from both running, and riding my dirtbike. Fast forward to today, and my heel and ankle are still not right. swollen, slight lack of movement, and sore at times. But i learned 2 things from that: pride and willpower CAN trump pain. and you should use common sense and listen to your body
wfo4ever
3/12/2016 3:30pm
Mit12 wrote:
I can not say that I have regrets but I will say at age 53 I pay for it every day.
I am 53 and I feel it 24/7. My only regrets are riding after an injury would eventually lead to another injury. I would not change a thing but when you get my age you will be reminded every day of all of your injuries, When I go to the doctor my wife prints out all my surgeries from the computer so I don't have to fill out the part about have you ever had a surgery. I just put see attached. I feel sorry for Pastrana when he gets old.
Rdubs19
3/12/2016 3:59pm
I've gone out for a track day after a broken wrist too soon, had some discomfort but it wasn't the end of the world. But I took it easy and didn't crash, so that helped.
Also stopped wearing the air cast for a broken foot too soon and really paid for that. It hurt like hell to walk and riding was impossible. That thing took forever to heal up, it was unreal how long that pain stuck around.

Post a reply to: Any regrets for riding/racing too soon after injury?

The Latest