Any pro riders that started riding late? Like 10-14 years old.

305FC250
9/27/2018 6:39pm
Theres a huge difference between when you start riding like the OP asked and when you start racing. Just about everyone is missing the actual question...
9/27/2018 6:53pm
from memory on an interview. Metcalf was 16 and thought he would give racing a go.. 1 year of racing he won an aussie tittle. hit...
from memory on an interview.
Metcalf was 16 and thought he would give racing a go.. 1 year of racing he won an aussie tittle. hit 18 and thought he would give it a go doing it full time.
could say it worked out well for him
If you are talking about Brett Metcalfe that's not right, he and his brother Shane were racing when they were young kids.
jemcee
9/27/2018 7:03pm
Off topic: but considering McGrath was so good on a BMX, does he ever do it now? Or since he started on motorbikes?
I don't think I've ever seen him on a pushy
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
9/27/2018 7:23pm
from memory on an interview. Metcalf was 16 and thought he would give racing a go.. 1 year of racing he won an aussie tittle. hit...
Metcalf was 16 and thought he would give racing a go.. 1 year of racing he won an aussie tittle. hit 18 and thought he would give it a go doing it full time.
If you are talking about Brett Metcalfe that's not right, he and his brother Shane were racing when they were young kids.
yeah Shane Metcalf was a weapon,
seen him race the 125 at Lakes mx in nsw.

well there you go, i was wrong Smile

I didn't think Brett took it serious though until later years though.

The Shop

Holigan
9/27/2018 7:36pm
305FC250 wrote:
Theres a huge difference between when you start riding like the OP asked and when you start racing. Just about everyone is missing the actual question...
The title says riding, the OP's post says racing
9/27/2018 7:56pm
yeah Shane Metcalf was a weapon, seen him race the 125 at Lakes mx in nsw. well there you go, i was wrong :) I didn't...
yeah Shane Metcalf was a weapon,
seen him race the 125 at Lakes mx in nsw.

well there you go, i was wrong Smile

I didn't think Brett took it serious though until later years though.
I am pretty sure Brett and Shane were both on the Honda Australia Junior MX team back in the day, Brett on 80's and Shane on 125.
9/28/2018 5:28am
Racer111 wrote:
Weston Peick started pretty late as well I think. I know MC was around 14 and Dowd started riding after high school.
Not Peick. I remember him and his brother racing Perris Hot Summer Nights on PWs way back in the day. Perris Hot Summer Nights in the...
Not Peick. I remember him and his brother racing Perris Hot Summer Nights on PWs way back in the day. Perris Hot Summer Nights in the 90s were a damn good time. Gordon Ward throwing heel clickers over the finish line, Factory Suzuki rider Jeff Matiasevich getting beat by Donald Upton and getting pissed about it, Randy Danylo’s trackside hot tub and his “Stripper Bitch”...good times.
Torco1 wrote:
Upton was almost unbeatable at Perris back in the 90's. Perris Hot Summer Nights were awesome, I still have some trophies from back then.
The only guy who could consistently smoke Upton at Perris Raceway in the 90’s was that other fast kid from Perris High School who went on to become the greatest Supercross rider ever.
10/1/2018 8:50pm
I started riding in in Dec of '94, a week before my 15th birthday. Started racing 5mo later. Up until I turned 18 I was only allowed to ride at DCMX thursday night practices and race on Saturday nights. At the age of 23 I earned my pro card and made the sunday program of my very first national. Sadly I didn't take things as serious as I should have
Bermworm
10/1/2018 9:35pm
Canadian Ross Pederson did not start racing until he was 17 don't think he was riding much before that either ended up with 42 titles our GOAT.
robkinuk
10/2/2018 4:50am
Kurt Nicoll didn't start racing till he was about 14 years old, and he's still going fast!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
10/2/2018 10:33am
Jeff Matasavich (chicken)
Started riding late , I remember reading that he got an XR80
I believe or something Similar around age 12
And was Racing pro not too many years later.
10/2/2018 11:01am
crusty_xx wrote:
Joel Smets, 4 time World Champion.
Didn't start racing until 17 y/o.
George's Jobe 18, I think.
He had to be a natural talent. Jobe won the 250cc world championship at the age of 19

Post a reply to: Any pro riders that started riding late? Like 10-14 years old.

The Latest