Any opinions on a 95 RM 250

Related:
Create New Tag

8/16/2019 2:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2019 1:22 PM

I'll start by saying I'm sorry I don't have any pics. My cousin decided to give up on his project and the bike has been sitting awhile. Its basically a roller but everything is there. The top end has been rebuilt. Although the engine has been pulled from the frame. Missing the seat. Huskies chew everything up. Included is plastics, packages of bearings, cables, spokes etc. I think mainly it needs the frame powder coated and new rims laced. I'm tempted to pick it up and start a winter project when I head to California in October. (The desert has been calling my name.) I was hoping to find out if there's any known issues I should look out for as I don't know much about RMs from this period. Other then their short shifting punchy motors with barn doors for radiator shrouds that corner well. The last Suzuki I had was 77 RM 125 as a kid. Any input is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

|

8/16/2019 3:30 PM

I say grab it. Great suspension, those forks :-)

Damn good looking bike as well.

|

Ironman Texas, May 17th, 2014, I became an IRONMAN.

8/16/2019 4:55 PM

Had one back in 95. Raced it two years off-road. Held up real well, didn’t have any issues at all.
My only mods where a flywheel weight, hand guards, spark Arrestor, aluminum bars and a seat that was slightly taller in the center. Stock seat dipped down too much in the middle to where it felt like you where sitting in a whole.

The CR beat it in all the shootouts, but my dealer let me test both back to back and I preferred the RM, so that’s what I bought.

|

8/17/2019 10:10 AM

Great bike. There are lots of parts you can find on Ebay. The forks are really good. I ran an Ohlins shock with some cylinder porting and head work, SPES pipe (DEP now?). I think you can have Bill's pipes make you a cone pipe as well.

|

8/17/2019 10:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate you guys taking the time.

|

8/17/2019 11:00 AM

I always like the looks.

|

8/17/2019 11:09 AM

worst case scenario the bike is old enough to buy you a beer.

|

- Filthy Euro
- Silly prankster
- Life-long Zook fan
- Rooting for all privateers on this rotating ball of carbon, hydrogen, silicon and poop

8/17/2019 11:51 AM

I loved that bike. Reel it in!!

|

8/17/2019 8:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2019 11:11 PM

dickjackson170 wrote:

I loved that bike. Reel it in!!

FISH ON!!!! COMING DOWN!!! At least that's what your supposed to yell salmon fishing in a group of people salmon fishing. Wife's gonna shit when I come back with it. Between bikes a car and exercise equipment, my garage is getting smaller and smaller. Oh well..... Could be worse.

|

8/20/2019 5:17 AM

I rode RMs from 89 through 98 with only a 93 CR250 and a 94 YZ250 mixed in. The 89 - 95s were all great. I sold my 93 because everyone said the CR was so much better. They were so wrong. My 95 had Guy Coopers Penske shock he ran at the Washougal national. Possibly the best shock ever. The 96-98s were not as good. I sold them, a lot of them for the shop I worked at but in 99 I gave up went to Honda. That was a good choice.

Bottom line, its a good solid bike. Only complaint is it doesn't have a fully removable sub-frame. Heck, I'll buy it if you don't want it.

|

8/20/2019 7:09 AM

honda65 wrote:

I rode RMs from 89 through 98 with only a 93 CR250 and a 94 YZ250 mixed in. The 89 - 95s were all great. I sold my 93 because everyone said the CR was so much better. They were so wrong. My 95 had Guy Coopers Penske shock he ran at the Washougal national. Possibly the best shock ever. The 96-98s were not as good. I sold them, a lot of them for the shop I worked at but in 99 I gave up went to Honda. That was a good choice.

Bottom line, its a good solid bike. Only complaint is it doesn't have a fully removable sub-frame. Heck, I'll buy it if you don't want it.

Believe it or not its actually free. My cousin bought a RMZ 450 a couple years ago. That's the main reason he lost interest in the project. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

|