Any one have experience with MX Tech Lucky vs Lucky Carbon?

Pirate421
12/10/2020 11:05am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2022 5:53pm
Anyone have the regular (gen1?) luckys? I have spoken with Mx tech and have a good grasp on the differences between the two kits but I’d say personally I’m on the fence between carbons and the gen 1’s. I’m a vet c/b woods guy who rides some moto in the mix.

If you have the gen 1’s are you happy with them? Anyone ridden both? Trying to be realistic with myself and if the gen 1 will get me the comfort for the woods and still hold up well on the track.

I’m riding a ktm 250 XC. If I was 100% moto I’d go with the carbons for sure and Since I’m a vet woods guy I’m not blowing the woods wide open every weekend. Just don’t want to over or undershoot here as it’s a lot of money! Thanks
|
Toddler125
12/10/2020 12:56pm
Pirate,

I'm in the same world as you... Vet B/C woods guy with a dash of MX thrown in. I too had the same questions earlier this year between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Luckys. After talking with the MX Tech folks, I went with the Gen 2 and honestly couldn't be happier! I have a 2019' KTM 300XC and loved the bike stock except for the forks. It didn't matter what I did for set-up, the front end never gave me the comfort I was looking for. From the first ride with the Luckys I fell in love with the way they worked. Stuff that used to rip the bars out of my hands or make the front end deflect is now simply absorbed without any fanfare or issue. I do realize these components aren't cheap, but it was the best investment I could have made in my bike! Let me know if you have any questions!
Ryan625
12/10/2020 1:47pm
Man I need to put these in the 2019 300XC-W I ride. Technically my dads bike but he prefers the Husky version (has both). The for on them is awful, deflects oddly and bottoms harshly.

A weird deflection off a rock is what left me with a broken arm 🤦🏻‍♂️
mxman
12/10/2020 1:58pm
I'm considering buying these for my 18 450 sxf. Hate the forks.
12/10/2020 1:59pm
I recently put Mx tech lucky carbons and National shock on my 19.5 ktm450 fe. I’m a vet B rider and track only with this setup. I love them but they are definitely on performance side. They are stiff and the faster/harder I push the better they work and perform which that’s what i wanted for track. I am however wanting to do the Mx tech inserts on my woods bike but not sure how much they differ with a woods valving setup with standard lucky vs the carbon.

The Shop

Pirate421
12/10/2020 2:08pm
Thanks for all the replies! I reached out and spoke with Cory at ProTune suspension. He has excellent reviews and does the lucky inserts as well as kyb swaps. He sounded more than confident that the regular lucky’s would be perfect for me and that is the majority of what he installs and said he has great results with them. Also got a very reasonable quote so I am planning on sending my stuff to him after the holidays.
Hammer 663s
12/10/2020 3:13pm
Good call - Gen 1s for sure. Carbons are for fast or big guys that really demand a lot of their suspension. I did the Gen1s because it's an easier oil change, and I am not fast. Love them. Transformed the front end on my 18 FC350. I'd recommend the MX Tech "Tank" and low friction piston for the shock too. Balances the front beautifully.

Hammer 663s
Pirate421
12/10/2020 3:32pm
Good call - Gen 1s for sure. Carbons are for fast or big guys that really demand a lot of their suspension. I did the Gen1s...
Good call - Gen 1s for sure. Carbons are for fast or big guys that really demand a lot of their suspension. I did the Gen1s because it's an easier oil change, and I am not fast. Love them. Transformed the front end on my 18 FC350. I'd recommend the MX Tech "Tank" and low friction piston for the shock too. Balances the front beautifully.

Hammer 663s
Awesome glad to hear that. I guess the older you get you realize that “lying” to yourself about your speed only hurts you when you get your suspension back and it feels like crap. That’s what I wanted to hear that the gen 1’s are good . Really can’t wait to get them
ktm300hater
12/10/2020 3:51pm
I had gen1 in my fc450. Do off-road and moto. Was a tad soft the way it was setup for mx so I bought another set of forks and have the carbons in those for mx. It is now a tad stiff for off-road and perfect for mx. I just swap them out for whatever riding I’m doing.
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
12/10/2020 4:16pm
Ryan625 wrote:
Man I need to put these in the 2019 300XC-W I ride. Technically my dads bike but he prefers the Husky version (has both). The for...
Man I need to put these in the 2019 300XC-W I ride. Technically my dads bike but he prefers the Husky version (has both). The for on them is awful, deflects oddly and bottoms harshly.

They are for the aer fork. The xc-w already has a spring fork. You need to get it revalved which should be quite a bit cheaper than new cartridges.
Broseph
12/10/2020 4:29pm
Ryan625 wrote:
Man I need to put these in the 2019 300XC-W I ride. Technically my dads bike but he prefers the Husky version (has both). The for...

wrc777 wrote:
They are for the aer fork. The xc-w already has a spring fork. You need to get it revalved which should be quite a bit cheaper...
They are for the aer fork. The xc-w already has a spring fork. You need to get it revalved which should be quite a bit cheaper than new cartridges.
MX Tech has Lucky cartridges for both AER and Xplor (and many others).
ktm300hater
12/10/2020 5:15pm
Broseph wrote:
MX Tech has Lucky cartridges for both AER and Xplor (and many others).
When I get my 90 CR250 done I’m going to have them do a set for it
Ryan625
12/10/2020 7:31pm
Ryan625 wrote:

wrc777 wrote:
They are for the aer fork. The xc-w already has a spring fork. You need to get it revalved which should be quite a bit cheaper...
Redoing an Xplor won’t make it great. I’ve talked to several suspension guys and they absolutely hate that fork design. They have all called it “springy” and “cheap”. I’d rather try the lucky if I’m going to throw money at it
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
12/11/2020 7:15am
I’ve ridden the gen 2 on a 18 fc350 setup for 170# c rider and they were amazing. The gen 2 can easily be set up to be plush for not fast novice dudes. Either way I think you will be stoked with gen 1 or 2.
Toddler125
12/14/2020 8:20am
Good call - Gen 1s for sure. Carbons are for fast or big guys that really demand a lot of their suspension. I did the Gen1s...

Hammer 663s
Hammer,

I also went with the Tank but added the triple adjuster too! Without any valving changes, the shock worked SOOOO much better! Smoother initial movement, better feel with the ground and a comfort I never had before. I'd love to try one of the National Shocks but my wife may kill me! Lol.
Grant Kasper
Fantasy
4037th
4/19/2021 2:46pm
Any more reviews on the carbons? In between mx-tech, kyb conversion or cone valves.
yzf162
4/19/2021 4:00pm
Go with the lucky kit. They feel just as good as the cone valves I've tried. I had them on my 250sxf. Rode another set of someones, with a completely different set up from me on their 350. They like a very firm first 1/3rd of the stroke. Still felt just a comfortable on them as mine. The biggest compliment I can give them is they are predictable. I never felt like I was unsure of what they were gonna do. Bumps , chop, OJ everything reacted exactly how my bike would. Just had to put a little more into it to do the same thing. On either bike. The 350 rode higher in the stroke where as i like a softer initial stroke since im shorter at 5'6 vs 5'9. 190 vs 200 lbs. Same B class vet B speed.

Also have a set on my 03 kx125. Same thing. It slacks up branding and a cell chop very smoothly and evenly. Have to really mess up to bottom it put. An again most of all predictable.
Pirate421
4/19/2021 4:11pm
I have the luckies and not the carbons. I really like them. I have a 250xc and have them set up more for enduros and harescrambles. They are very soft and plush but still hold up good. Only problem I’m having is they do seem to bottom out or feel like they are bottoming when I come up short or OJ something. I set the clickers stiffer on the comp and it firms them up but then they are a bit stiff for the chop so I deal with it. The bottoming clunk I definitely expect when riding an Mx track. Bike does settle into turns and ruts a lot better too no more vagueness.
LOOnatic
4/19/2021 4:42pm
I have Lucky carts bought straight from MX tech.
Rode em for a year and sent them to Pro Tune and Corey made them better. I've never rode CV forks or Lucky Carbons just adding my real world .02 cents.
Pirate421
4/19/2021 4:54pm
LOOnatic wrote:
I have Lucky carts bought straight from MX tech. Rode em for a year and sent them to Pro Tune and Corey made them better. I've...
Rode em for a year and sent them to Pro Tune and Corey made them better. I've never rode CV forks or Lucky Carbons just adding my real world .02 cents.
That’s exactly who did mine they are a real improvement for the price
183Matt
Fantasy
1331st
4/19/2021 9:22pm
I have both the first gen and the carbons. Bothe set up for fast off road and GP style racing. I prefer the gen 1’s in the desert and more technical riding. The carbons have a little better bottoming resistance IMO and I prefer them for more motocross/gp style riding. Both are a very worthwhile upgrade. I’ve riden CV forks and Traxx shock plenty, the MX tech treatment to the newer WP stuff is very good and within 90% of the CV and Traxx when set up good. 707 out of Rohnert Park is the tuner I use and recommend.
PTshox
4/19/2021 10:37pm
Jer at MXTech is doing really good work. They are adding value at a good (relative) price point. I think you will find it money well spent for WP forks!
mmcmx
4/20/2021 1:07am
All the threads about how to make better the AER fork and everyone raving about the lucky inserts... I was always like, wtf is this? Never heard of that. Name sounded like a joke to me to be honest.

It all changed this year after Daytona. One of my best budies put the whole MX-tech setup in his bike and...he finally made his first main event in Arlington!

I was in the phone with him like, so you finally changed suspension, so what did you get, WP, KYB,...? And he goes, MX-TECH! I had never heard of it so I google the name, and what a surprise! They are the ones that make the lucky inserts. He loves them so much that I plan on getting the same set up now.

I guess the moral of the story, never dismiss happy customers opinions.
CKNY
4/20/2021 5:02am
LOOnatic wrote:
I have Lucky carts bought straight from MX tech. Rode em for a year and sent them to Pro Tune and Corey made them better. I've...
I have a set of Luckies from Corey. I will need to revalve them, they are pretty far off from what I asked for. I was expecting to be blown away but unfortunately I was not.
atrdrvr7
4/20/2021 6:40am
I have a set of the newest carbons. Vet intermediate 168 lbs. When I ordered them they recommended .48 springs. Had my local tuner install them.

Initially I thought they were just ok. Good bottom resistance but I thought they kind of sucked in chop compared to my revalved KYB's on my yz250.

After a couple of phone calls to MX Tech they recommended going with .50 springs to stop the forks from packing in chop. I honestly thought this was kind of crazy. Took them back to my tuner and had .50 springs installed. The difference was night and day. The forks glide through chop. Settle very nice in corners, and just all around handle excellent.

They handle better than my KYB's now. I would say they are comparable to Ohlins RXF 48's I had on my last bike.
CKNY
4/20/2021 6:49am
atrdrvr7 wrote:
I have a set of the newest carbons. Vet intermediate 168 lbs. When I ordered them they recommended .48 springs. Had my local tuner install them...
I have a set of the newest carbons. Vet intermediate 168 lbs. When I ordered them they recommended .48 springs. Had my local tuner install them.

Initially I thought they were just ok. Good bottom resistance but I thought they kind of sucked in chop compared to my revalved KYB's on my yz250.

After a couple of phone calls to MX Tech they recommended going with .50 springs to stop the forks from packing in chop. I honestly thought this was kind of crazy. Took them back to my tuner and had .50 springs installed. The difference was night and day. The forks glide through chop. Settle very nice in corners, and just all around handle excellent.

They handle better than my KYB's now. I would say they are comparable to Ohlins RXF 48's I had on my last bike.
Surprised the spring rate they suggested.
I’m 180 no gear and I’m running a .44 and .46. I don’t have the carbons, I have the standard Lucky.
MX47
4/20/2021 7:00am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2021 7:27am
atrdrvr7 wrote:
I have a set of the newest carbons. Vet intermediate 168 lbs. When I ordered them they recommended .48 springs. Had my local tuner install them...

Had to do the same thing. 132 pound vet and had .40 springs and wasn't happy. Adam said to go to .44 and now they work really well. In MX Tech's defense I asked for lighter springs than they suggested because of my weight and speed. Should have listened to the experts lol.
mxman
4/20/2021 7:23am
LOOnatic wrote:
CKNY wrote:
I have a set of Luckies from Corey. I will need to revalve them, they are pretty far off from what I asked for. I was...
I have a set of Luckies from Corey. I will need to revalve them, they are pretty far off from what I asked for. I was expecting to be blown away but unfortunately I was not.
CKNY..... Corey did mine as well in March. I think the valving is good but he sent me .50kg springs at 225lb, no gear. The springs seem pretty far off as I am bottoming pretty consistently. I spoke to Jeremy at MXTech and he said I should be at least at a .54kg. I've got them installed and hoping for a good difference. If the weather holds I'll ride this weekend.
CKNY
4/20/2021 8:19am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2021 8:21am
LOOnatic wrote:
CKNY wrote:
I have a set of Luckies from Corey. I will need to revalve them, they are pretty far off from what I asked for. I was...
mxman wrote:
CKNY..... Corey did mine as well in March. I think the valving is good but he sent me .50kg springs at 225lb, no gear. The springs...
CKNY..... Corey did mine as well in March. I think the valving is good but he sent me .50kg springs at 225lb, no gear. The springs seem pretty far off as I am bottoming pretty consistently. I spoke to Jeremy at MXTech and he said I should be at least at a .54kg. I've got them installed and hoping for a good difference. If the weather holds I'll ride this weekend.
Hope it works out for you. I’m going to go softer on the base valve. Corey seems to think the springs are fine for my weight.

My main issue is 2nd and 3rd gear roots and hack. They work fine in the faster stuff.
I’m not having any bottoming issues but I have not been on a track with them yet.
I’ve hit some fast whooped out trail and G outs and not bottomed.

This is the stack he sent me to try.

(3)26.1
8mm clamp
CKNY
4/20/2021 8:22am

Pirate421
4/20/2021 8:30am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2021 9:33am
Reading all these replies I may call today and ask for some heavier springs. That may help with the bottoming issue I have. The calving seems good I just bottom on jumps looks like I have a 46 and a 44 spring in mine? I’m 170lbs and b/c speed.

Edit: spoke to Corey he was super helpful. He recommended to add some oil to the forks since my setup was pretty conservative on oil height. That’s good news because it’s like a $5 fix.

Post a reply to: Any one have experience with MX Tech Lucky vs Lucky Carbon?

The Latest