Any good protest stories?

motoman998
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2022 5:28pm
Watching the vurb millcreek video and saw webb got protested. Just made me laugh and think back to some 50 parents getting a little hot back in the day. Curious if anyone had entertaining stories to share!
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/21/2022 4:05pm
A friend of mine got protested in the 125B Stock class at a big national... Mini Os, I think. They tore it down, and someone said "It doesn't look stock," so he was robbed of his finish. The motor was stock, but some yahoo who may or may not have had any idea what a stock cylinder looks like, said it didn't look stock, and that was good enough for the promoters.
He protested the protest, but got nowhere. It all turned out for the best anyway, because he got a write up in Moto Playground over the debacle and they put him in a pretty good light, as I remember.
Dave v3.0
7/21/2022 5:46pm
Mickey Boone started the claiming madness in 1976 when he tried to claim Hannah's water-cooled OW.

Scared Honda enough that Marty Smith only got to ride his 76 RC125 at Mid-Ohio for the GP because the FIM didn't have a claiming rule at the time.

All of the factories were walking around with envelopes of cash to make counter claims. It was a strategy that worked...until Roeder hit on his claim. And that might have cost Tripes his best shot at a National Championship.

The Shop

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
7/21/2022 6:57pm
Here is my Exciter 440 getting inspected after someone protested my vintage 440 class win…Laughing . Those guys look real serious..

Stewyeww
7/21/2022 9:14pm
Brad460 wrote:
Here is my Exciter 440 getting inspected after someone protested my vintage 440 class win…:laugh: . Those guys look real serious.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/07/21/560617/s1200_A5F9A093_594E_4C1A_8483_05F480FB4CE7.jpg[/img]
Here is my Exciter 440 getting inspected after someone protested my vintage 440 class win…Laughing . Those guys look real serious..

Clearly says 460 on the side, so I would say that's valid.
Robgvx
7/21/2022 11:17pm
I can’t recall the details, but I seem to remember Bob Wright having his CCM protested for being over 500cc at a GP. (I presume that he must’ve finished top-three to be protested?)

Rather than have the strip-down they just loaded up and went home!
Rickyisms
7/22/2022 5:20am
What was all the buzz at LLs a couple years ago when a PW dad protested a large number of the top 10 bikes in his sons class and over half of them were illegal? Probably 3-4 years ago.
NLMB150
Fantasy
1327th
7/22/2022 5:31am
What about Ryder D having like 4 cobra 50s with same vin number if I remember correctly.
Stuntman949
7/22/2022 6:35am
NLMB150 wrote:
What about Ryder D having like 4 cobra 50s with same vin number if I remember correctly.
Seems more of a legal issue lol
Gary Duck
7/22/2022 7:02am
Rickyisms wrote:
What was all the buzz at LLs a couple years ago when a PW dad protested a large number of the top 10 bikes in his...
What was all the buzz at LLs a couple years ago when a PW dad protested a large number of the top 10 bikes in his sons class and over half of them were illegal? Probably 3-4 years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the protester's son eventually get DQ from that race as well?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/22/2022 7:27am
Rickyisms wrote:
What was all the buzz at LLs a couple years ago when a PW dad protested a large number of the top 10 bikes in his...
Gary Duck wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the protester's son eventually get DQ from that race as well?
Yes he did.LaughingLaughing
LowBidder
Fantasy
1737th
7/22/2022 7:42am
Pretty sure Stroupe got DQ'd at Loretta's one year on a YZ85 for running foam in his brake pedal.

Malcolm or James Stewart got DQ'd at Lorettas on a PW50 one year, forget which one. I think oil injection was bypassed.
robkinuk
7/22/2022 7:59am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 8:01am
Rickyisms wrote:
It was at the 1977 500cc World championship round at Farleigh Castle UK. Honda team manager Steve Whitlock protested that Bob Wrights works CCM was a 600cc rather than 500cc.
The protest was rather tainted as only the first 5 were eligible to be protested but 4th place rider Andy Roberton on his Montesa had previously ridden a 250cc GP so wasn’t eligible for 500cc points. Bob’s mechanic John Baynham got in a wrestling match over the bike with Whitlock, ended up chinning him, snatched bike back and went and locked it away in back of CCM Team van, so it never did get measured.
Whole incident was celebrated in my painting “Rule Britannia “ as CCM riders Bob Wright and John Banks led the world. This is the marker visual of painting.
LowBidder
Fantasy
1737th
7/22/2022 8:11am
Rickyisms wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
It was at the 1977 500cc World championship round at Farleigh Castle UK. Honda team manager Steve Whitlock protested that Bob Wrights works CCM was a...
It was at the 1977 500cc World championship round at Farleigh Castle UK. Honda team manager Steve Whitlock protested that Bob Wrights works CCM was a 600cc rather than 500cc.
The protest was rather tainted as only the first 5 were eligible to be protested but 4th place rider Andy Roberton on his Montesa had previously ridden a 250cc GP so wasn’t eligible for 500cc points. Bob’s mechanic John Baynham got in a wrestling match over the bike with Whitlock, ended up chinning him, snatched bike back and went and locked it away in back of CCM Team van, so it never did get measured.
Whole incident was celebrated in my painting “Rule Britannia “ as CCM riders Bob Wright and John Banks led the world. This is the marker visual of painting.
That is awesome, some skills there.
Rickyisms
7/22/2022 8:58am
Rickyisms wrote:
Gary Duck wrote:
Pathetic deal for the kids too, probably super pumped to finish in the top 10 at LL and then you get DQ’d because your dad went full Alessi and put a scooter gear in your PW.
JazzyJJ
7/22/2022 9:02am
LowBidder wrote:
Pretty sure Stroupe got DQ'd at Loretta's one year on a YZ85 for running foam in his brake pedal. Malcolm or James Stewart got DQ'd at...
Pretty sure Stroupe got DQ'd at Loretta's one year on a YZ85 for running foam in his brake pedal.

Malcolm or James Stewart got DQ'd at Lorettas on a PW50 one year, forget which one. I think oil injection was bypassed.
James got a dq in one race on the pw50 for bypassing the tip over switch. Pretty sure he went 4x-1-1
lumpy790
7/22/2022 9:17am
Rickyisms wrote:
For a long time no one can do a protest in the PW class. They automatically tear them down and inspect.
robkinuk
7/22/2022 9:20am
Rickyisms wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
It was at the 1977 500cc World championship round at Farleigh Castle UK. Honda team manager Steve Whitlock protested that Bob Wrights works CCM was a...
LowBidder wrote:
That is awesome, some skills there.
Thanks, I will try and find a photo of original painting.
robkinuk
7/22/2022 9:22am
Robgvx wrote:
I can’t recall the details, but I seem to remember Bob Wright having his CCM protested for being over 500cc at a GP. (I presume that...
I can’t recall the details, but I seem to remember Bob Wright having his CCM protested for being over 500cc at a GP. (I presume that he must’ve finished top-three to be protested?)

Rather than have the strip-down they just loaded up and went home!
Please see further explanation in my reply later in this thread.
LowBidder
Fantasy
1737th
7/22/2022 9:23am
One year at Ponca, Tony Alessi protested Adam Chatfield. Mike won the race, but Tony still protested Chatfield just because he pulled the holeshot on Mike, no one is supposed to pull a holeshot on Mike.

This protest led to Chatfield claiming Mike's factory Honda supermini a week later at Loretta's.
RealityCheck
7/22/2022 9:35am
Back in the 90s, an acquaintance of mine's son was racing in one of the kid's classes where they shortened the track to save time. His kid got an epic holeshot and managed to get to the closed section of the track far ahead of everyone else. Unfortunately, the track workers had neglected to put up the cones blocking the track, so he ran the full course for the first lap. Everyone else was instantly 1/2 of a lap+ ahead of him. His parents starting yelling at the track officials to restart the race, but they declined to do so. When the results were posted, mom and Dad marched over to the scoring folks and started screaming at them. I walked over to maybe lend some moral support, when I saw the father turn to his son, who was probably 6 years old, and say "Well, now you know what if feels like to get f'd in the *ss". He used the actual words, of course. Silence descended upon the scene. I scurried away, hoping not to be affiliated with this guy. They packed up their truck and I never saw them again. Word has it that the father earned himself a lifetime suspension from AMA sanctioned competition - even as a spectator - in that district.
Mossy940
7/22/2022 9:42am
LowBidder wrote:
Pretty sure Stroupe got DQ'd at Loretta's one year on a YZ85 for running foam in his brake pedal. Malcolm or James Stewart got DQ'd at...

Yes sir - blue foam tucked in behind the rear brake.
SEEMEFIRST
7/22/2022 9:54am
I saw so much stupid during my 15 year tenure at Village Creek, it's ridiculous.

Some kid gets beaten by clearly better riders, and Dad protests because one of the kids who beat him forgot about a piece of tape on a lever.

Like that made any difference.
RyanD797
Fantasy
377th
7/22/2022 10:39am
I thought Stew got DQ for outside assistance on the PW.
7/22/2022 11:00am
Jeez, when it said "protest stories", I thought there might be some topless pix from some Roe v. Wade rallies. I guess it's the wrong kind of protest...

But, relative to the right kind of protest, albeit in the car racing vein, the most famous story I have heard over the last decade came from the SCCA Run-offs in 2014. That year, the top nine Spec Miata's in the final were blanket protested for an illegal engine mod, and all of the top six cars (and others) were DQ'd. In the end, the guy who finished seventh became the National Champion. Even crazier, the reason for the DQ was an "illegal" head mod, but the illegal mod was only created when the heads were legally cleaned up. Needless to say, the rules were heavily debated and changed for the next year.

For those who don't know, Spec Miata is like the PW or 65 stock classes but for grown adults with big bank accounts. At the highest levels, every and any tweak that can be added to gain an advantage, regardless of the cost, will be employed. While we all like to bemoan the over-the-top costs associated with the Mod'd classes, the ends guys go to to complete in Spec and Stock classes can be pretty crazy, too, and it all provides tons of fodder for those whose aim in life seems to be protesting the actions of the neighbor who beat them.
7/23/2022 12:42pm
Jeez, when it said "protest stories", I thought there might be some topless pix from some Roe v. Wade rallies. I guess it's the wrong kind...
Jeez, when it said "protest stories", I thought there might be some topless pix from some Roe v. Wade rallies. I guess it's the wrong kind of protest...

But, relative to the right kind of protest, albeit in the car racing vein, the most famous story I have heard over the last decade came from the SCCA Run-offs in 2014. That year, the top nine Spec Miata's in the final were blanket protested for an illegal engine mod, and all of the top six cars (and others) were DQ'd. In the end, the guy who finished seventh became the National Champion. Even crazier, the reason for the DQ was an "illegal" head mod, but the illegal mod was only created when the heads were legally cleaned up. Needless to say, the rules were heavily debated and changed for the next year.

For those who don't know, Spec Miata is like the PW or 65 stock classes but for grown adults with big bank accounts. At the highest levels, every and any tweak that can be added to gain an advantage, regardless of the cost, will be employed. While we all like to bemoan the over-the-top costs associated with the Mod'd classes, the ends guys go to to complete in Spec and Stock classes can be pretty crazy, too, and it all provides tons of fodder for those whose aim in life seems to be protesting the actions of the neighbor who beat them.
LOL Spec Miata is insane. I owned and raced an SPO car where there are basically no rules as far as mods, but I did several Spec Miata races in a friends SM. His car was built by one of the top Spec Miata builders in the US, it was modded to the very extent of the rules and probably bit over here and there. I could pass really legal 'stock' Miatas on the straights at Daytona three or four at a time! The irony is guys get into SM because its supposedly cheap racing, but it turns out if you want to win you need to spend $40K plus! Two or four wheels it costs much more to cheat in a spec/stock class.
Nairb#70
7/23/2022 2:24pm
Too many protest singers, not enough protest songs!

Post a reply to: Any good protest stories?

The Latest