Any flat track guys/gals on here?

dirtmike86
7/1/2018 11:40am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 3:57pm
A friend of mine gave me his 95 yz250. It needs a few things but iam tired of all these two stroke builds ive done over the years. I came across this.
It gave me the bright idea to do something like this

So my question is. Is this stupid to do with a two stroke? Is flat track that hard to learn? What all will i need to look for? Am i wasting my time all together? I know that a lot of guys use much larger displacement bikes but milestone has a flat track and i thought id get the hang of it then build something faster.
|
7/1/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2018 12:22pm
Just lace up some 19inch wheels, get some cheap Shinko 705s, lower front and rear, ride it. For a short track, it's all you need to learn.
dirtmike86
7/1/2018 12:39pm
Just lace up some 19inch wheels, get some cheap Shinko 705s, lower front and rear, ride it. For a short track, it's all you need to...
Just lace up some 19inch wheels, get some cheap Shinko 705s, lower front and rear, ride it. For a short track, it's all you need to learn.
Right on. Thanks.
BMSOBx2
7/1/2018 1:47pm
Just lace up some 19inch wheels, get some cheap Shinko 705s, lower front and rear, ride it. For a short track, it's all you need to...
dirtmike86 wrote:
Right on. Thanks.
Flat tracks a lot of fun. Just turn left and gas it.
SmileSmileSmile
752dad
7/1/2018 2:38pm
I don’t think too many people know it, but flat track champ Jared Mees motos all the time for training. Runs at a local practice track almost every Wednesday. And ran into him in Florida preseason at Orlando MX.
I can’t see why you wouldn’t adapt to flat track in a hurry. I used to ride on the ice and always had a blast. Just remembered another flat track champ Randy Goss was a moto guy also.

KC

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/1/2018 2:40pm
I’ve heard Race Tech do great work with flattrack set ups.
KMC440
7/1/2018 2:51pm
True story from bout 13yrs ago, so I'm at a moto, flattrack, TT weekend. I have some cool friends that offered EVERYTHING to go race. So as any stupid single no worries 38yr old I accepted EVERY offer. This put me on a kx450 with practically a knobless knobby tire that was fun to slide everywhere. After the heat they threw a flattrack tire on the back.

That damn Goodyear flat track tire they threw on a bike I was sooooo cool-weird hell I couldn't figure it out during the lcq. I roll in after making the main, barely, and asked, "hey will that tire step out a bit and then it hooks or what?". The answer was yes. Though I had some new found confidence in the tire I still did shitty in the main, though I did beat two others.Laughing

Have fun with the bike flat track is very fun.
Bultaco
7/1/2018 3:07pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
A friend of mine gave me his 95 yz250. It needs a few things but iam tired of all these two stroke builds ive done over...
A friend of mine gave me his 95 yz250. It needs a few things but iam tired of all these two stroke builds ive done over the years. I came across this.

So my question is. Is this stupid to do with a two stroke? Is flat track that hard to learn? What all will i need to look for? Am i wasting my time all together? I know that a lot of guys use much larger displacement bikes but milestone has a flat track and i thought id get the hang of it then build something faster.
That is beauty. Reminds me of the old school Champion framer builds. Thumbs up!
dirtmike86
7/1/2018 3:16pm
752dad wrote:
I don’t think too many people know it, but flat track champ Jared Mees motos all the time for training. Runs at a local practice track...
I don’t think too many people know it, but flat track champ Jared Mees motos all the time for training. Runs at a local practice track almost every Wednesday. And ran into him in Florida preseason at Orlando MX.
I can’t see why you wouldn’t adapt to flat track in a hurry. I used to ride on the ice and always had a blast. Just remembered another flat track champ Randy Goss was a moto guy also.

KC
Awesome. I was hoping the mx would come in handy. Around here there is a lot of i dont know what you want to call them. Hipsters on harleys. Anyways everytime i watch them i think i could go way faster. Iam gunna give it a shot.
dirtmike86
7/1/2018 3:17pm
KMC440 wrote:
True story from bout 13yrs ago, so I'm at a moto, flattrack, TT weekend. I have some cool friends that offered EVERYTHING to go race. So...
True story from bout 13yrs ago, so I'm at a moto, flattrack, TT weekend. I have some cool friends that offered EVERYTHING to go race. So as any stupid single no worries 38yr old I accepted EVERY offer. This put me on a kx450 with practically a knobless knobby tire that was fun to slide everywhere. After the heat they threw a flattrack tire on the back.

That damn Goodyear flat track tire they threw on a bike I was sooooo cool-weird hell I couldn't figure it out during the lcq. I roll in after making the main, barely, and asked, "hey will that tire step out a bit and then it hooks or what?". The answer was yes. Though I had some new found confidence in the tire I still did shitty in the main, though I did beat two others.Laughing

Have fun with the bike flat track is very fun.
Haha wish i had friends that would set me up with that deal.
dirtmike86
7/1/2018 3:29pm
I’ve heard Race Tech do great work with flattrack set ups.
Ill have to look into that. Obviously ill need the suspension lowered so ill give them a call and see if they can do it. Doing research i see people using street bike forks.
cable
7/1/2018 3:34pm
752dad wrote:
I don’t think too many people know it, but flat track champ Jared Mees motos all the time for training. Runs at a local practice track...

KC
Henry Wiles has "A" rider speed. actually won a local race at red bud in the A class one year. Ive been telling him to sign up for a national..
Doddy
7/1/2018 3:57pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
A friend of mine gave me his 95 yz250. It needs a few things but iam tired of all these two stroke builds ive done over...

I do not flat track and most likely never will(nothing against it, just not something that I felt like doing?), but ever since I seen that picture an another one floating around.....I have wanted one. It would fit in nicely with the other YZs.

Post a reply to: Any flat track guys/gals on here?

The Latest