Any flat track guys/gals on here?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/1/2018 11:40 AM

A friend of mine gave me his 95 yz250. It needs a few things but iam tired of all these two stroke builds ive done over the years. I came across this. Photo
It gave me the bright idea to do something like this

So my question is. Is this stupid to do with a two stroke? Is flat track that hard to learn? What all will i need to look for? Am i wasting my time all together? I know that a lot of guys use much larger displacement bikes but milestone has a flat track and i thought id get the hang of it then build something faster.

|

7/1/2018 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2018 12:22 PM

Just lace up some 19inch wheels, get some cheap Shinko 705s, lower front and rear, ride it. For a short track, it's all you need to learn.

|

7/1/2018 12:39 PM

miketherider wrote:

Just lace up some 19inch wheels, get some cheap Shinko 705s, lower front and rear, ride it. For a short track, it's all you need to learn.

Right on. Thanks.

|

7/1/2018 1:47 PM

miketherider wrote:

dirtmike86 wrote:

Right on. Thanks.

Flat tracks a lot of fun. Just turn left and gas it.
smile smile smile

|

7/1/2018 2:38 PM

I don’t think too many people know it, but flat track champ Jared Mees motos all the time for training. Runs at a local practice track almost every Wednesday. And ran into him in Florida preseason at Orlando MX.
I can’t see why you wouldn’t adapt to flat track in a hurry. I used to ride on the ice and always had a blast. Just remembered another flat track champ Randy Goss was a moto guy also.

KC

|

7/1/2018 2:40 PM

I’ve heard Race Tech do great work with flattrack set ups.

|

7/1/2018 2:51 PM

True story from bout 13yrs ago, so I'm at a moto, flattrack, TT weekend. I have some cool friends that offered EVERYTHING to go race. So as any stupid single no worries 38yr old I accepted EVERY offer. This put me on a kx450 with practically a knobless knobby tire that was fun to slide everywhere. After the heat they threw a flattrack tire on the back.

That damn Goodyear flat track tire they threw on a bike I was sooooo cool-weird hell I couldn't figure it out during the lcq. I roll in after making the main, barely, and asked, "hey will that tire step out a bit and then it hooks or what?". The answer was yes. Though I had some new found confidence in the tire I still did shitty in the main, though I did beat two others.laughing

Have fun with the bike flat track is very fun.

|

7/1/2018 3:07 PM

dirtmike86 wrote:

A friend of mine gave me his 95 yz250. It needs a few things but iam tired of all these two stroke builds ive done over the years. I came across this. Photo

So my question is. Is this stupid to do with a two stroke? Is flat track that hard to learn? What all will i need to look for? Am i wasting my time all together? I know that a lot of guys use much larger displacement bikes but milestone has a flat track and i thought id get the hang of it then build something faster.

That is beauty. Reminds me of the old school Champion framer builds. Thumbs up!

|

7/1/2018 3:16 PM

752dad wrote:

I don’t think too many people know it, but flat track champ Jared Mees motos all the time for training. Runs at a local practice track almost every Wednesday. And ran into him in Florida preseason at Orlando MX.
I can’t see why you wouldn’t adapt to flat track in a hurry. I used to ride on the ice and always had a blast. Just remembered another flat track champ Randy Goss was a moto guy also.

KC

Awesome. I was hoping the mx would come in handy. Around here there is a lot of i dont know what you want to call them. Hipsters on harleys. Anyways everytime i watch them i think i could go way faster. Iam gunna give it a shot.

|

7/1/2018 3:17 PM

KMC440 wrote:

True story from bout 13yrs ago, so I'm at a moto, flattrack, TT weekend. I have some cool friends that offered EVERYTHING to go race. So as any stupid single no worries 38yr old I accepted EVERY offer. This put me on a kx450 with practically a knobless knobby tire that was fun to slide everywhere. After the heat they threw a flattrack tire on the back.

That damn Goodyear flat track tire they threw on a bike I was sooooo cool-weird hell I couldn't figure it out during the lcq. I roll in after making the main, barely, and asked, "hey will that tire step out a bit and then it hooks or what?". The answer was yes. Though I had some new found confidence in the tire I still did shitty in the main, though I did beat two others.laughing

Have fun with the bike flat track is very fun.

Haha wish i had friends that would set me up with that deal.

|

7/1/2018 3:29 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I’ve heard Race Tech do great work with flattrack set ups.

Ill have to look into that. Obviously ill need the suspension lowered so ill give them a call and see if they can do it. Doing research i see people using street bike forks.

|

7/1/2018 3:34 PM

752dad wrote:

KC

Henry Wiles has "A" rider speed. actually won a local race at red bud in the A class one year. Ive been telling him to sign up for a national..

|

7/1/2018 3:57 PM

dirtmike86 wrote:

I do not flat track and most likely never will(nothing against it, just not something that I felt like doing?), but ever since I seen that picture an another one floating around.....I have wanted one. It would fit in nicely with the other YZs.

|