Any New York / Long Island People?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/3/2017 11:22 AM

Any people living in the New York/ NJ/ NYC/ Long Island area on here? Have any of you guys been riding? what tracks have you been going to?

Also if anyone on here owns a dealership on Long Island or in the New York / NYC area I would like to know. I am interested how many people in this area are into Motocross and Supercross enough to go on Vital.

|

11/3/2017 2:11 PM

Live in Brooklyn but I'm from NJ and still keep my bike at my parents' place there. I've ridden all of two times this year (at Etown) but hoping to step up those numbers next year.

Tedesco snapped this shot of me during my first excursion this year at the Etown practice track. I was pretty damn rusty, but he's pretty good at making even bad riders look fast.

A YZ144 piloted by @bayodome shot at 1/8th of a second.

A post shared by Tedesco Photo (@tedescophoto) on



Never done any motoing on Long Island but I hear about some spots from time to time. Would love to check it out.

Where do you ride?
|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

11/3/2017 4:57 PM

Live in Jersey now but have lived in NYC for many years. Now I commute into NYC every day. Home track is etown but love Field of Dreams and do the occasional Orange County and Walden trips too. I missed this year due to injury but can't wait to have my YZ125 back out once the snow clears up in '18.

|

11/4/2017 10:02 AM

bayodome wrote:

Live in Brooklyn but I'm from NJ and still keep my bike at my parents' place there. I've ridden all of two times this year (at Etown) but hoping to step up those numbers next year.

Tedesco snapped this shot of me during my first excursion this year at the Etown practice track. I was pretty damn rusty, but he's pretty good at making even bad riders look fast.

A YZ144 piloted by @bayodome shot at 1/8th of a second.

A post shared by Tedesco Photo (@tedescophoto) on



Never done any motoing on Long Island but I hear about some spots from time to time. Would love to check it out.

Where do you ride?

Twice in a year might not sound like much but it's better then nothing! I only got 3 days in this year (so far). I have been struggling with injuries the last few years, so I am hopefully going to be doing the same as you and getting back into the swing of actually riding again.

On Long Island we used to have several really fun practice tracks and one race track at one point, however the town of Islip shut down our last remaining motocross track, 10th Street MX, earlier this year. The owner's and the members have been fighting to get the track re-opened for several months now. I have been told by the owner's that things are "looking good" but have not heard anything official or a possible date the track will open again.

3 or 4 years ago we had four public tracks and two more private facilities for people to ride. Now there is only one semi-private location to ride, but it is more of a trail then a motocross track (Moto 1 long Island).

My uncle has a private track up in Warwick that I went to this year. Once I get comfortable again I will start going back to E-Town, OCFMX, Walden ect. I did teach a school and roll around at Gotham Mountain MX in Monticello earlier this summer. That track is really cool, and the owners are really fantastic guys. I liked it a lot but it is just so far for me to drive from the island. Four hours each way is a lot to day trip regularly.

|

11/7/2017 12:20 PM

I was checking out some vids of Gotham Mountain. That place looks dope! MX on a ski resort basically. Are they good with grooming? It's about 2.5 hours from Central Jersey so I don't want to make the trek only to have a dusty dried out track.

Anyone else been there?

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

11/7/2017 2:12 PM

I have been to Gotham. I thought it was a lot of fun. I was there early spring and there was no issue with dust or being dried out. It has a lot of elevation changes and in some places a decent amount of sand. Being built on a hill it also has its share of rocks. I didn’t get the chance to go back but I heard they were constantly improving it. I will go back when I get a chance.

|

11/7/2017 2:18 PM

This thread hits home. I am in Manhattan, and bought a bike recently after being tee-total since moving here in 2015. I have only managed to ride a couple of times a year when I went back to the UK on holiday and frankly, I missed it.

I keep my new bike and gear at my cousin's place in Franklin Lakes, NJ, but it's a bit of an inconvenience as each time I want to ride I have to head out there, hire a u-haul van and go to the track for the day. If the track is far away, then the cost is likely to rise.

I have only just got myself sorted and rode at Englishtown a few weeks ago; the track is certainly very different from Europe and to what I am used to. Met up with some great guys from here (Uncle Tony) and had a genuinely brilliant day.

If any of you are in the city, give me a shout and we can take down a beer and plan a track or race day.

|

11/8/2017 5:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 5:50 AM

Bruneval wrote:

This thread hits home. I am in Manhattan, and bought a bike recently after being tee-total since moving here in 2015. I have only managed to ride a couple of times a year when I went back to the UK on holiday and frankly, I missed it.

I keep my new bike and gear at my cousin's place in Franklin Lakes, NJ, but it's a bit of an inconvenience as each time I want to ride I have to head out there, hire a u-haul van and go to the track for the day. If the track is far away, then the cost is likely to rise.

I have only just got myself sorted and rode at Englishtown a few weeks ago; the track is certainly very different from Europe and to what I am used to. Met up with some great guys from here (Uncle Tony) and had a genuinely brilliant day.

If any of you are in the city, give me a shout and we can take down a beer and plan a track or race day.

Bruneval, Definitely! I hope I don't end up regretting this (to many vitards combing through everything) but my number is 516-532-6164. Shoot me a text some time and we can try and do something. I don't always answer calls from numbers not saved in my phone so either text me or just leave me a voicemail and I will call you back.

Huckster and bayodome, Gotham Mountain is honestly incredible. I know it might not be the best, having to drive to Monticello, but I can confidently say that the owners and staff at Gotham are some of the most incredible, passionate, caring, welcoming and humble people around. If only I didn't have almost a four hour drive each way I would go as often as possible. Grooming wise 99.999% of the time, they are on the mark. Of course you are gonna have some days where the dirt is not "perfect" or a decent amount of rocks start popping out of the soil, but I would recommend that track to anyone and not have to worry about looking foolish because of poor conditions, a destroyed and boring track or anything at all.

Whenever you go to Gotham tell them that Alexander Ratner sent you. It would be cool to plan a day for all of us to meet up and go riding somewhere. Being this late in the year you could possibly do it at Switchback but that is a full weekend trip with a hotel and everything. Maybe early spring or a freak warm day we hit up Gotham or another local track. I want to try and do as much riding as I can the next year and since I am literally JUST getting back on the bike after years of not riding, it would be good to have another group of guys to go riding with. Normally I ride with my family or the riders that I help out with different things, but since they are all expert and pro level, it tends to not be as fun as riding with people who are probably just a couple of seconds faster then me lol.

|

11/8/2017 6:33 AM

I'm originally from Bellmore on Long Island. Moved to FL in 2006 and now in OH since 2013. Unfortunately not much riding left on the island.

|

@robfox10

11/8/2017 6:59 AM

MOTORSPORTFOX wrote:

I'm originally from Bellmore on Long Island. Moved to FL in 2006 and now in OH since 2013. Unfortunately not much riding left on the island.

No way, I am from Merrick. How old are you and when did you leave? I thought there were only 3 people in all of Merrick ? Bellmore that rode.

|

11/8/2017 7:17 AM

ARnvrbinfast937 wrote:

No way, I am from Merrick. How old are you and when did you leave? I thought there were only 3 people in all of Merrick ? Bellmore that rode.

I was 18 when I left in 2006, went to Mepham HS

|

@robfox10

11/8/2017 7:22 AM

Im on Long Island, now that every track is closed I maintain hope that Ronkonkoma 10th St Mx will reopen soon. There is a small niche private track for locals who have been involved in the Mx scene out east. As of now Im forced to commute to Etown or Field of Dreams weekends. It seems even upstate they are having difficultly keeping tracks open. Walden is open 5 times a years, AK farms is closed.

|

11/8/2017 9:51 AM

Born and grew up racing on LI till I moved off in 1988. Have raced at Bridgehampton, Westhampotn Rocky Point, Morgans Motos and SX at the old Horse racing track suffolk meadows. You had endless land owned by corporations that you could ride on and build tracks. Colony Hill, city of glass, Commack pits and on and on. All gone and so different now. SAD

|

11/8/2017 10:45 AM

I grew up on Long Island and rode all the time in the 80’s but never on a track. There were so many places to ride back then it wasn’t really necessary. We had a sump down the block(manmade drainage lake which are all over LI) that had a big dirt area with some hills and jumps. There was a big area behind Nassau Colisseum by Meadowbrook Parkway that had trails with jumps. Sand pit in Farmingdale with huge sand walls for cool hill climbs. We would go further east I think either Commack or Farmingville and there were great riding places out there too. Sad to see thats all changed now and few places to ride.

|

11/8/2017 11:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2017 12:18 PM

I’m from Long Island, close to bellmore actually right in Freeport. I usually go to Etown but I sometimes go to Moto one Long Island in Calverton. It’s an ok place , not really maintained that well and they charge $70 to ride. Which is why I’d prefer to go to etown any day.

|

11/9/2017 9:25 AM

Calihusky wrote:

I grew up on Long Island and rode all the time in the 80’s but never on a track. There were so many places to ride back then it wasn’t really necessary. We had a sump down the block(manmade drainage lake which are all over LI) that had a big dirt area with some hills and jumps. There was a big area behind Nassau Colisseum by Meadowbrook Parkway that had trails with jumps. Sand pit in Farmingdale with huge sand walls for cool hill climbs. We would go further east I think either Commack or Farmingville and there were great riding places out there too. Sad to see thats all changed now and few places to ride.

Forgot about all the sumps. They were it before we were old enough to drive and haul bikes to better places.
Going up the walls and out, then dropping back in. We pretended we were at the Rose bowl going up out of the stadium and then dropping back in.

|

11/9/2017 10:28 AM

Im from NYC/LI and now BKLN. I ride etown racetrack almost every weds and every sat or sunday. We hit CTMX in CT and NJFOD in s jersey 2 times a month. I ride MX207 in maine NHMX new hampshire, snake creek speed citi both in DE. Plenty to ride... i am 50 min from Etown in living in bkln. I have a private garage for bikes if anyone needs places. It costs money and background check.. few private tracks i know about in NJ for SX and trails
Anyway im always riding ...17 kx450f give a shout when ya heading out..BRAP

|

11/9/2017 10:51 AM

Calihusky wrote:

I grew up on Long Island and rode all the time in the 80’s but never on a track. There were so many places to ride back then it wasn’t really necessary. We had a sump down the block(manmade drainage lake which are all over LI) that had a big dirt area with some hills and jumps. There was a big area behind Nassau Colisseum by Meadowbrook Parkway that had trails with jumps. Sand pit in Farmingdale with huge sand walls for cool hill climbs. We would go further east I think either Commack or Farmingville and there were great riding places out there too. Sad to see thats all changed now and few places to ride.

PN27416 wrote:

Forgot about all the sumps. They were it before we were old enough to drive and haul bikes to better places.
Going up the walls and out, then dropping back in. We pretended we were at the Rose bowl going up out of the stadium and then dropping back in.

I learned how to ride moto in a big sand pit off the LIE, exit 48 I believe. We used to call it Channel 21 because the TV station was on the service road there. Then we migrated out east once we got chased out of there a few times. There was a place at exit 56, then further out at exist 64 in Commack I think, and a few others. I also remember the place by Nassau Coliseum, if I'm not mistaken you had to ride through a tunnel under Hempstead Turnpike from the EAB Plaza parking to get to it. Good memories.

|

11/10/2017 7:43 AM

Lot of former LI people here! Like I mentioned, I'm in Brooklyn and don't ride very often but would like to a little more next year.

Season is rapidly coming to a close around here (high of 37 today...burrr!) but I'm trying to make it out to Englishtown next Wednesday. Weather looks pretty good so fingers crossed.

DM me if you can make it and want to link up. Braaap!

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

11/10/2017 9:27 AM

ARnvrbinfast937 wrote:

Any people living in the New York/ NJ/ NYC/ Long Island area on here? Have any of you guys been riding? what tracks have you been going to?

Also if anyone on here owns a dealership on Long Island or in the New York / NYC area I would like to know. I am interested how many people in this area are into Motocross and Supercross enough to go on Vital.

Also live in Manhattan. Ride Etown and Millville mostly, have been to Gotham and Budds Creek a couple times. Etown and Millville are the most common places we ride.

|