Any Info on rickman motorcycles

Edited Date/Time 1/19/2020 5:49am
I know this should be in old school but figured I’d get more eyes on my post here. I finally bought a 1971 Rickman Montesa 250 today and would like any info in general on the bike, brand, etc you Moto bros can provide on them.
|
1/18/2020 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 1:27pm
Tank seems clean. Someone creamed it. But clutch feels notchy.... all original side panels and stuff came with it

1/18/2020 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:14pm
What’s it worth? Just wondering if I over paid. Guy said it ran when he put it away couple years ago but needs a “carb cleaning” since it’s been sitting. I trust the gentlemen since I work with him.

The Shop

Deja New
1/18/2020 1:34pm
Yep when I saw your pic I thought the front plate was missing seems they all look like that. Very cool bike indeed.
1/18/2020 1:38pm
Deja New wrote:
Yep when I saw your pic I thought the front plate was missing seems they all look like that. Very cool bike indeed.
Funny you say that. I questioned where the front plate was myself. He tossed me a old school flat track plate with the number 17 on it but didn’t look like it was an original.
philG
1/18/2020 1:41pm
Old mate has a 125 Zundapp one
1/18/2020 1:56pm
Frame says made in England and looks nickel plated. But Montesa Spanish.... very weird
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/18/2020 1:59pm
My old man has a rickman with a 441 bsa in it , cool bikes
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
1/18/2020 2:00pm
Frame says made in England and looks nickel plated. But Montesa Spanish.... very weird
Rickman only made frames , people put their own motors in them,
1/18/2020 2:08pm
Think the Old girl even came with the original chain gaurd. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow to post up.
Sidecar
1/18/2020 2:19pm
The Rickman brothers, Don and Derek raced motocross/scrambles during the 1960s at a high level in the U.K and international races in Europe. They, as mentioned above, made chassis kits for mostly Triumph and BSA engines that they developed through their own racing exploits.
You purchased a kit and added your own engine, suspension, wheels etc... the 2 stroke kits for Bultacos etc came later on. The emergence of race ready complete bikes, CZs, Maicos and Husky’s and then the Japanese bikes etc meant the end of the frame kit bike era to a certain extent although some manufacturers like Eric Cheney and ATK with their XR kits and to this day some Quad and all sidecarcross bikes are still kit bikes... that’s a nice find, there are a plenty of people in the U.K keeping the Rickman name alive and you won’t struggle sourcing chassis and bodywork parts.
1/18/2020 2:21pm
Sidecar wrote:
The Rickman brothers, Don and Derek raced motocross/scrambles during the 1960s at a high level in the U.K and international races in Europe. They, as mentioned...
The Rickman brothers, Don and Derek raced motocross/scrambles during the 1960s at a high level in the U.K and international races in Europe. They, as mentioned above, made chassis kits for mostly Triumph and BSA engines that they developed through their own racing exploits.
You purchased a kit and added your own engine, suspension, wheels etc... the 2 stroke kits for Bultacos etc came later on. The emergence of race ready complete bikes, CZs, Maicos and Husky’s and then the Japanese bikes etc meant the end of the frame kit bike era to a certain extent although some manufacturers like Eric Cheney and ATK with their XR kits and to this day some Quad and all sidecarcross bikes are still kit bikes... that’s a nice find, there are a plenty of people in the U.K keeping the Rickman name alive and you won’t struggle sourcing chassis and bodywork parts.
Awesome info thanks. Was wondering how hard parts are to find when needed. I’m thinkin about making it a vintage racer and not a museum peice
1/18/2020 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:49pm
Looks like it has “benton” brand forks? Could be spelled wrong on my end. I’m 36 so this bike was made way before my time. 50 years old now! Edit: betor forks. “Thanks dirty points”
philG
1/18/2020 2:23pm
philG wrote:
Old mate has a 125 Zundapp one
How’s he like it? Any tricks/tips? Thanks
Eniough to not ride it since 1976.. pretty sur there is a Rickman Facebook page.
1/18/2020 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:31pm
scott_nz wrote:
Rickman made both frame kits for a number of models and complete motorcycles with engines from Hodaka, Zundapp, Montessa, and Bultaco.
Sidecar
1/18/2020 2:30pm
Awesome info thanks. Was wondering how hard parts are to find when needed. I’m thinkin about making it a vintage racer and not a museum peice
Yeah man, get it out and use it, I’m not into garage queens. They fix up and clean again.
1/18/2020 2:33pm
scott_nz wrote:
Rickman made both frame kits for a number of models and complete motorcycles with engines from Hodaka, Zundapp, Montessa, and Bultaco.
I questioned this. The guy I got it off of said the Montesa 250 came “factory” with/in it.
1/18/2020 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:35pm
scott_nz wrote:
I questioned this. The guy I got it off of said the Montesa 250 came “factory” with/in it.
I have a Rickman Zundapp 125. It also shipped built by Rickman.
1/18/2020 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:37pm
I have a Rickman Zundapp 125. It also shipped built by Rickman.
What year? Any Pics? Just pumped/excited for my first “vintage” Bike buy.
1/18/2020 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:43pm
BTW, bike looks complete and clean as you will see in a barn find. Not sure on value, maybe 1000-1500 as it sits, but once you get into it and see what it need both the cost to you and value to a potential buyer would rise quite a bit.
1/18/2020 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 2:44pm
BTW, bike looks complete and clean as you will see in a barn find. Not sure on value, maybe 1000-1500 as it sits, but once you...
BTW, bike looks complete and clean as you will see in a barn find. Not sure on value, maybe 1000-1500 as it sits, but once you get into it and see what it need both the cost to you and value to a potential buyer would rise quite a bit.
This pleases me then and verified I didn’t pay to much. Thanks dirty points. Front wheel does have a very slight bend in it and fiberglass has a few dings/cracks which hurts its value. That’s why I might just vintage race it.
1/18/2020 2:46pm
Looks like it has “benton” brand forks? Could be spelled wrong on my end. I’m 36 so this bike was made way before my time. 50...
Looks like it has “benton” brand forks? Could be spelled wrong on my end. I’m 36 so this bike was made way before my time. 50 years old now! Edit: betor forks. “Thanks dirty points”
Betor.
Deja New
1/18/2020 2:53pm
Looks like you bought an awesome piece of Mx history Smile
1/18/2020 3:01pm
Deja New wrote:
Thanks deja new. It’s kind of out of my “league” And I know nothing about it. That’s why I made this post and need the old Moto hero’s “I respect” here to give me any info they have on the girl.
1/18/2020 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 3:26pm
Deja New wrote:
Thanks deja new. It’s kind of out of my “league” And I know nothing about it. That’s why I made this post and need the old...
Thanks deja new. It’s kind of out of my “league” And I know nothing about it. That’s why I made this post and need the old Moto hero’s “I respect” here to give me any info they have on the girl.
Well, one thing that might be valuable for you to know is that a dude bought the business from the Rickman brothers and kept producing everything, so Rickman Motorcycles is still in business, producing new frames and parts for bikes and their prices (other than getting it from England, which can be significant) aren't really any higher than a current Japanese bike.
Tim507
1/18/2020 3:21pm
Awesome find! Great motor, Betor are good forks.....refresh everything and race it for sure
1/18/2020 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2020 3:29pm
Tim507 wrote:
Awesome find! Great motor, Betor are good forks.....refresh everything and race it for sure
Thanks Tim appreciate it. I almost said nah and walked away but something about it was saying buy me. Haha but they all say that to me.....we searched hours for the side panels and chain gaurd, etc but when we found them I was sold. “Felt kind of like the show pickers”
motogrady
1/18/2020 4:43pm
Great find guy.
1st off, that's a fiberglass tank.
Do not put anything in it, gas wise, that has ethanol in it. Alcohol will eat the fiberglass. A day riding with ethanol in it, you will start to see fiberglass particles in the fuel.

2nd, it was like the Montesa Cappra motors were the most popular engines Rickman used in the 250s.

3rd. To pull the countershaft sprocket is a job.
It's a tapered shaft. With 90lbx of torque on it. No splines. You need a puller.
The countershaft sprockets are not easy to find. eBay is your friend. You can try Southwest Montesa. But the guy that ran that was real sick the last time I heard.

4th. That motor, I dunno is kinda weird. The waffle head and cylinder, that was new in 1974. The bottom end is def pre 73.

5th. Be careful with ground clearance. That down swept pipe gives it close to 30hp. But, you dent or smash it up ot a real chore fixing. A new pipe, around 400 bucks. Talking about the pipe, it connects to the cylinder with a big ass threaded collar. Real easy to cross thread. Use a spanner wrench. Untold guys messed them up using a hammer and slotted screwdriver. Def safety wire it. Drill a small hole in a fin close to it and take the wire to it.

6th. That frame is a piece of art. Nickel plated chrome moly steel. Clean it up, it's just beautiful.

Great find, good handleing, with imo the strongest pulling, best shifting, and simplest engine of its time.
No stinking power valve, no reeds.

Ya, run it, but realize what u have guy.u need any help pm me.

Post a reply to: Any Info on rickman motorcycles

The Latest