Any Go-Fast tips for a 13 year old?

Tracktor
2/17/2021 3:17pm
Have fun.................That is the best tip to get the most out of this hobby. And if you are having fun you will find speed comes easier.

Find some other kids to ride with and push each other. Don't worry about "Who is faster" at any particular moment in time as that can change with blink of an eye.

My boys have gotten to a decent level with these two basic ideas. My youngest always had is brother to chase & now he pushes him. Speed is somewhat of an illusion & mostly irrelevant. The faster you get the tougher it can get t have fun which is the whole point.......

Airick
Fantasy
3424th
2/17/2021 5:32pm
Passing on a tip I got from Gary Bailey along time ago...put Velcro on the index and middle finger of your left glove and the clutch lever. This tip is for when you get that two-stroke.
Joshua Knight
2/17/2021 5:35pm
JM485 wrote:
Highly recommend jumping on a bmx bike and hitting your local park or trails. It’s great training, plus you’ll have a ton of fun learning overall...
Highly recommend jumping on a bmx bike and hitting your local park or trails. It’s great training, plus you’ll have a ton of fun learning overall bike skills that can be translated over to the moto bike. It’s not really realistic for most people to ride during the week, but a bmx bike can be hopped on at any time, plus you’ll likely meet some new friends along the way.
I mountain bike alot, mostly during the spring (i live in a state park) and i mountainbiked so much, my bike is trashed.
Main reason tho is cause i didnt take good care of the walmart bike.

The Shop

slipdog
2/17/2021 5:38pm
Work the basics

FahQ
2/17/2021 6:12pm
Learn to jump on tabletops, avoid the doubles and triples. When you are comfortable on the tabletops ask a vet rider which double you should hit first.
EngIceDave
2/17/2021 6:13pm
https://usmca.org <---Option #1 in my opinion

If on your own....Forget "fast."
That doesn't mean not to go fast, it just means don't worry about it. What you want to do is improve your skills.

Two most important things to going faster?

Slowing down and turning.....the two slowest things in racing are the two things that make you faster, crazy huh?

Learn to use the brakes. Go to a flat field, take a couple orange cones and set then 20-25 yards apart and practice just hauling ass towards those cones at each end and hitting the brakes, getting that stopping distance shorter and shorter, smoother and smoother....once you get it as short as you think you can, start adding a left turn into it, now train just that....braking and turning.

Have fun!

Joshua Knight
2/17/2021 6:25pm
I would like to thank everyone for all of the wonderful advice. i will use it once all of this snow melts, and when i get a chance to ride!
Sincerley, Joshua Knight.
EngIceDave
2/18/2021 10:47am
Seems like a nice polite kid.
Can use a few more of those
brettmx
2/18/2021 8:26pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Seems like a nice polite kid.
Can use a few more of those
Now you're making me feel bad about telling him his dad doesn't love him.

Here's my advice. Find someone who is a really good rider (Vet expert/ex pro) and just ask them if they could watch you for a few minutes and maybe give you a little advice. Most of them will help.

I wish motocross was more like track days for street bikes. Those events always have a lot of coaching available for the C and B group riders.
2/19/2021 1:11am
1. Practice very specific techniques until you are doing them correctly without thinking.
2. Practice very specific techniques until you are doing them correctly without thinking.
3. Practice very specific techniques until you are doing them correctly without thinking.
4. Practice very specific techniques until you are doing them correctly without thinking.
5. Practice very specific techniques until you are doing them correctly without thinking.
6. Then forget all that and go racing to see how fast a motorcycle can go.
7. Figure out where others are faster
8. Go back to step 1
2/19/2021 2:48am
Ride/ practice with people faster than you.

Ride often
bh
2/19/2021 3:12am
Stand up, toes in, learn how to use your front brake and your set!
philG
2/19/2021 4:41am
The best advice, is ride for fun, and dont turn into one of the people who 'busts laps out' for no purpose.

BMX is great for balance, and learning to jump, but the best advice is to get someone to film you riding, and watch what you are doing.

Dont get giddy and play for the camera, or think about the filming as something else to worry about, but look at what YOU are doing compared to the guys you watch on tv..

And remember that guys that are the fastest , rarely look it
ricky racer
2/19/2021 5:06am
Spend money on riding schools instead of bike mods.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
2/19/2021 8:37am
EngIceDave wrote:
https://usmca.org <---Option #1 in my opinion If on your own....Forget "fast." That doesn't mean not to go fast, it just means don't worry about it. What...
https://usmca.org <---Option #1 in my opinion

If on your own....Forget "fast."
That doesn't mean not to go fast, it just means don't worry about it. What you want to do is improve your skills.

Two most important things to going faster?

Slowing down and turning.....the two slowest things in racing are the two things that make you faster, crazy huh?

Learn to use the brakes. Go to a flat field, take a couple orange cones and set then 20-25 yards apart and practice just hauling ass towards those cones at each end and hitting the brakes, getting that stopping distance shorter and shorter, smoother and smoother....once you get it as short as you think you can, start adding a left turn into it, now train just that....braking and turning.

Have fun!

Excellent advice about the cones, Dave.

A buddy of mine who teaches MX schools does this with every class. He makes students do figure-8s around the cones, making sure they do it with fingers on the clutch. He then moves them to rear brake only, then front brake only, then both. By the end of the day, he's got kids and adults doing smooth, feet-up turns at speed on flat ground around cones. It's fantastic to watch the progression.
LungButter
2/19/2021 9:44am
Learn to ride standing up as much as possible. Keep your feet on the pegs.
The9mmMans
2/20/2021 6:15am
Best advice I ever got from Gary Bailey was the old “when in doubt gas it out”. Saved so many bad ones over the years by following that one!
MyBobbym
2/20/2021 7:39am
Im a kid, who started riding about 2 years ago, and im looking for some go fast tips. Anyone got any?
CRF125FB
Stay off the dope and stay away from girls.
murph783
2/20/2021 8:50am
Watch AJ Catanzaro’s channel on YouTube, he’s pretty solid. I like a lot of what Ryan Hughes has to say technique wise too...in other areas of life maybe don’t listen to him so much.

But some quick bullet points, and bear in mind not everyone is exactly the same.
-Grip with your legs. This one is non negotiable, you should be controlling the bike primarily from your core down. Abs, hips, squeeze with your legs and knees. Keep your upper body loose.

-ride on the balls of your feet. No one is perfect, we all flat foot it occasionally, but that extra 2 inches of travel you get out of your ankles when you flex them can be a lifesaver. Keep your pegs sharp so your feet don’t slip off.

-look ahead. Keep your chest down, head over the bars, and be looking well ahead of you, don’t stare at the front fender. The earlier you see something coming at you, the easier it is to react.

-use your front brake. You get something like 60-70% of your braking force from the front if used properly. Think about it, All of the weight is being pitched forward as you brake, why not make use of that instead of just letting the rear wheel slide when the weight comes off it?

-smooth is fast. Keep your momentum up, and try to make your corners one smooth arc instead of coming in upset, chopping the throttle, mashing the brakes, and having to be on and off the throttle multiple times. Smooth in, fast out.

-most importantly-just ride a lot. It’s fun dude, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, just enjoy it!
EngIceDave
2/20/2021 12:06pm
"-most importantly-just ride a lot. It’s fun dude, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, just enjoy it!"

He's right
Keep it fun. Don't get too serious and learn to leave it on the track. MX is aggressive, meaning you need to be aggro....meaning everyone else is aggro too....see my point?

Learn to leave it on the track. Don't get all pissed off, come in, yell at your dog and your GF, laugh that shit off and remember you can buy a trophy on the way home for like a dollar at a flea market...it's no big deal.

Just have fun. Going fast and all that comes with it
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
2/20/2021 12:42pm
I’ve posted this before, these were tips from a class we took with David Bailey. Practice landing front wheel first, then back wheel first, then both wheels at the same time. The idea is to learn how to correct the bike in the air so if the take off goes less than ideal your auto pilot will correct to ensure a safe landing. Second thing is learn your motorcycle. Rather than changing one or two clicks here and there. Do some laps with every adjustment screw all the way in, then do some labs with every screw the opposite, all the way out. Then you can work your way toward the middle. The idea is to give you a basic idea of what you’re playing with when you’re changing the clickers. My tip is like others have said, learn what proper style is and work on form rather than speed. And for me the biggest thing is have fun. Don’t take it so seriously that you suck the fun out of it.
86honda
2/21/2021 11:05am
More gas less brake

Post a reply to: Any Go-Fast tips for a 13 year old?

The Latest