Any Dutch racers

Related:
Create New Tag

2/25/2019 5:25 PM

My son is going over there from the US to spend some time enjoying the moto scene. He has never been to Europe. He is a 32 year old local Pro. He is going to work in Amsterdam. Any advice on bringing a bike vs buying? Where to live? What kind of vehicle to buy or lease? Anyone need a riding/racing buddy?

|

2/25/2019 9:09 PM

In the vicinity of Amsterdam the motocross is not that popular. There are almost no tracks there. Around eindhoven is much more motocross. The province of noord-brabant and Gelderland are real motocross environments.

The best thing is a van for motocross. But in the Netherlands the road tax for cars is based on emissions and weight. A heavy diesel is therefore very expensive.
|

2/25/2019 10:10 PM

Like above Gelderland and Noord Brabant are the tracks. The older diesels are not allowed any more in the city. Amsterdam got a parking problem. Is he gonna live in Amsterdam or only work and living just outside the city?

A car and a closed trailer could do the job to. I'm from Gelderland and around me there are 6 tracks within 15 min to a hour of riding. Ride with a closed trailer to the track rest of the tracks are around a hour to a hour and a half.

Advice on a bike? What does he ride now?

|

2/26/2019 1:14 AM

I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years http://www.mxbrothers.com/mx-tracks/netherlands was a great help to find tracks nearby.

The biggest problem I had was actually storing the bike, I really struggled to find a place with a garage and in the end had to settled with storing it under my stairs in a typical town house.

As regards buying a bike, I ended up bringing in a brand new one from Ireland (where I moved from) for considerably less than they were being sold there.

|

2/26/2019 10:27 AM

Honestly Amsterdam isn't the place to be if you want to ride a lot of MX. It's just one big tourist attraction. I wouldn't even want to live there. Also the cost of living there is really high. I guess you could kinda compare it with Cali in that way.

Like the people above said. You want to be in the south of Holland for MX, around the Belgian border. I have like 15-20 tracks within 45 minutes of my house. (Eindhoven / Tilburg area) When you live in Amsterdam it's like 45 minutes of driving (or more if you're in traffic) just to get to the track closest to you.

For how long is he gonna stay here?

|

2/26/2019 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the reply's guys! He has a 19' YZ250F. He would definitely want a garage for the bike and gear. Is there a good town half way between Amsterdam and the south of Holland? What does a new YZ250F cost there? Approximately what would a decent used small van or car and trailer cost? He would be staying a minimum of a year. Would it be hard to resell bikes and vehicles when he leaves? Again thanks for the info.

|

2/26/2019 11:44 AM

MarkF wrote:

Thanks for all the reply's guys! He has a 19' YZ250F. He would definitely want a garage for the bike and gear. Is there a good town half way between Amsterdam and the south of Holland? What does a new YZ250F cost there? Approximately what would a decent used small van or car and trailer cost? He would be staying a minimum of a year. Would it be hard to resell bikes and vehicles when he leaves? Again thanks for the info.

MSRP for a new YZ250F '19 is 8800 euros so that's about 10k dollar. I personally never buy new so I don't know if it's easy to get any discounts or something but don't expect too much.
Most vans which fit a MX bike are Diesel and diesel vehicles are not allowed in most big cities anymore. So the easiest and cheapest solution is a petrol car and trailer. A car doesn't have to cost a lot. Depends what kind of luxury you want. Few thousand bucks I think you'll have something good enough. Trailer to haul a MX bike is only a few hundred bucks.
We have our own Dutch version of ebay here. It's www.marktplaats.nl You can easily buy and sell most of your stuff on there.

|

2/26/2019 12:08 PM

Better question is. Where is he going to work in amsterdam? Is he doing office hours? Can he work longer days so he can be fridays free? Does he want to ride a hour and a half to amsterdam and live outside amsterdam.

In gelderland you have the sand tracks. And the best tracks Hummelo, halle, lichtenvoorde, varsseveld, arnhem, heerde.

Noord brabant. Berghem

Flevoland. Lelystad

Germany. Grevenbroich
Rest of the track are bored.. thats what i think about it.

A car and a trailer won't cost that much. Get a cheap car on gas and a trailer where a bike fit in. Cheap car you can get around 1500 euro and a open trailer between 250 and a 750 a 1000 for a closed one

If you buy a new bike you will lose half the new price on resell. Or talk to hartelman motoren in gelderland they are a yamaha dealer and maybe you can make a deal for a year. Or get a cheap one and ride for a year. Or maybe you can make a deal with rse

Living in gelderland between arnhem and doetinchem is easy and no stress only thing is its a minimum of 1.5 hours riding to amsterdam at office hours. Shit traffic on the highway.

Lots of thinking and lot of stuff to search where you wanna stay for a year.

Enuff people around here what could help you out.

|

2/26/2019 4:00 PM

He could enjoy racing at the MON, that are local races isn't Dutchies?! Or watching Dutch Masters of Motocross, that is the dutch championship motocross and maybe four, five MXGP races? Lommel, Valkenswaard, Teutschenthal, Saint Jean d'Angely and MXON in Assen?!

|

2/26/2019 9:05 PM

MON yes that is a leaque of there own. He will need a KNMV license or a MON. Most tracks are KNMV.

He could get a get a start license from KNMV for some national races. Even some local racers are fun enuff to join.

Lommel, teutschental ,valkenswaard, saint jean d'angely are fun to watch. Assen is a shit track for the fact you can't walk around the track.

Dutch masters of motorcross can be fun but depends on the tracks but most of the time there lining up some mxgp riders and yes those are the one you wanna watch.

More then enuff to do and to see!

|

2/26/2019 11:11 PM

I suggest finding a place in Amersfoort, it has a kickass track really closeby, and every other track in the country isn't further away than a 1,5 hour drive. Most are within 45 minutes to 60 minutes. Most importantly you can take a short train ride directly to Amsterdam.

|

2/27/2019 12:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2019 12:33 AM

I live in Amsterdam and am 32 years of age too. No better place to live in the Netherlands so ignore the above. Yes it’s very touristy in places, but so is every capital city. You just need to know your way around. I have worked in hospitality all over Europe all my life and Amsterdam is a great mix of everything.

For Moto, you’re from the US so probably used to driving many miles. The Netherlands is very small and from Amsterdam there are quite a lot of tracks within an hours drive.

Is your son going to live in the city centre? Storing a bike won’t be easy. Also a parking permit isn’t cheap and the waiting lists are long. As mentioned above, cost of living isn’t cheap here, but worth every cent if you ask me. I suggest getting a garage box just outside of the centre. The box would be a lot cheaper and so will parking a van be, even for free in some places.

The worst thing about this is that Amsterdam used to have one of the best tracks in the country untill the early 2000’s.

If your son needs any help settling in let me know.

|

2/27/2019 8:20 AM

EnvyMedia wrote:

I suggest finding a place in Amersfoort, it has a kickass track really closeby, and every other track in the country isn't further away than a 1,5 hour drive. Most are within 45 minutes to 60 minutes. Most importantly you can take a short train ride directly to Amsterdam.

this above Amersfoort. Central of Holland. Would be a good choice .

Traffic around every big city is crap these days. Even the train is crowed it's all shit to be honest.

Ah a guy from Amsterdam will never say his city is crap but it is.
nice to visit for one day and then get the hell out of there

"Storing a bike won’t be easy. Also a parking permit isn’t cheap and the waiting lists are long. As mentioned above, cost of living isn’t cheap here, but worth every cent if you ask me. I suggest getting a garage box just outside of the centre. The box would be a lot cheaper and so will parking a van be, even for free in some places.

grin

Give him 2 weeks if they know there is a dirtbike stored in that box and it's gone. If it's not secured. People forget to tell that fuckers are on the track to watch bikes and even try to follow the persons to there home. That's why i have a closed trailer with no mx bullshit on it.

BUT he should have done 3 things in that year.

Riding on the track in Halle ":Kappenbulten"

mx Bentelo a day event where all kinda riders come and race but when the evening is falling the lights go on and the "Ïnters" are lining up for the one to one battle. Music on the background and you see some top national riders lining up on a 250 or a 450 4 stroke or the 250 2 stroke.

Wehlse cross weekend is like a mxgp weekend with a party on saturday evening. Practice and quali on saterday and sunday race day.

Or he could join DMX or UMX if he wanna race for fun and see different tracks. He will need more then a year grin

Good luck with finding the right place to stay!

|

2/27/2019 9:08 AM

Motocrossjunky wrote:

I live in Amsterdam and am 32 years of age too. No better place to live in the Netherlands so ignore the above. Yes it’s very touristy in places, but so is every capital city. You just need to know your way around. I have worked in hospitality all over Europe all my life and Amsterdam is a great mix of everything.

For Moto, you’re from the US so probably used to driving many miles. The Netherlands is very small and from Amsterdam there are quite a lot of tracks within an hours drive.

Is your son going to live in the city centre? Storing a bike won’t be easy. Also a parking permit isn’t cheap and the waiting lists are long. As mentioned above, cost of living isn’t cheap here, but worth every cent if you ask me. I suggest getting a garage box just outside of the centre. The box would be a lot cheaper and so will parking a van be, even for free in some places.

The worst thing about this is that Amsterdam used to have one of the best tracks in the country untill the early 2000’s.

If your son needs any help settling in let me know.

J/k
|

2/27/2019 9:45 AM

MarkF wrote:

My son is going over there from the US to spend some time enjoying the moto scene. He has never been to Europe. He is a 32 year old local Pro. He is going to work in Amsterdam. Any advice on bringing a bike vs buying? Where to live? What kind of vehicle to buy or lease? Anyone need a riding/racing buddy?

Amsterdam is very Expensive to live in (rent etc. ) that's why the real Amsterdamse live in the surrounding areas ( cities ) let's call it greater Amsterdam. MC Flevoland ( mx track ) is half decent, also for living Flevoland is a good place, close to Amsterdam… www.mc-flevoland.nl homes… https://www.funda.nl/huur/regio-flevoland/

Brabant is like Corona CA it’s only 1/2 hour drive from Amsterdam.

|

2/27/2019 1:17 PM

Again, thank you guys! Lots of great info. I think he would like a place with a garage that is not more than a half hour commute to work (Amsterdam). He will be working M-F and have the weekends off to ride. Driving an hour or two to a track is not a problem. The whole reason to go is to ride/race the tracks over there, preferably sand tracks. I think he will ship his bike from here. The company is flying him out in a couple weeks or so to "woo" him. I think he will have a couple days to check things out moto related.

|