Any Cal VMX patrons here?

chuckie108
4/19/2018 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 5:18pm
Planning on doing my first vintage race Saturday with CalVMX at Perris. There’s no real explanation of the schedule on their site, but on the Perris weekly newsletter is says practice at 8:45, first Moto’s at 10, and second Moto’s at 3.

That’s damn long day, is that how they run it, second Moto’s at 3?

And generally, how much practice do you get?

And any other input, things to keep in mind are greatly appreciated.
|
Zeke27G
4/20/2018 7:12am
chuckie108 wrote:
Planning on doing my first vintage race Saturday with CalVMX at Perris. There’s no real explanation of the schedule on their site, but on the Perris...
Planning on doing my first vintage race Saturday with CalVMX at Perris. There’s no real explanation of the schedule on their site, but on the Perris weekly newsletter is says practice at 8:45, first Moto’s at 10, and second Moto’s at 3.

Wish I would be able to join ya Chucky, but I've got some things to sort out on my vintage race bikes.

Anyhow, you'll get a good amount of practice, I'd say about 15 minutes.

They'll take a roughly a 30 minute break between the first and second motos.

And I think they meant the second motos will be done by 3pm and awards shortly after.

It is a longer day than ARX, but Cal-Vmx seems to get a better turnout in some of the classes.

Not to say either club is any better than the other. Like most things, they each have their pros and cons.

Have fun out there!
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/20/2018 7:30am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 7:31am
chuckie108 wrote:
Planning on doing my first vintage race Saturday with CalVMX at Perris. There’s no real explanation of the schedule on their site, but on the Perris...

I haven’t been for a few years but they do tend to get a pretty big turnout and the day is more about having a good time and not so much about wam bam let’s rap it up and go. Very good group of people and some great vintage bikes out there. Wish my knees allowed me to kick start my old CZ....I miss those races and the whole CaLVMX crew

I found the ARX to run a little quicker and you get home much earlier. Also run and attended by wonderful moto people. To me ARX had quite a few more modern and evolution riders...no big deal as it brings other family members to the races who aren’t into the older bikes.
chuckie108
4/20/2018 8:03am
Thanks for the replies and input fellas! I'm not in a big hurry to get the day over, but second motos starting at 3 seemed a bit off- thanks for the clarification. Been a long time coming for me to get into the vintage/evo scene, starting to get excited. Hope to meet you guys out there in the future. Cheers!
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/20/2018 8:10am
chuckie108 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and input fellas! I'm not in a big hurry to get the day over, but second motos starting at 3 seemed a...
Thanks for the replies and input fellas! I'm not in a big hurry to get the day over, but second motos starting at 3 seemed a bit off- thanks for the clarification. Been a long time coming for me to get into the vintage/evo scene, starting to get excited. Hope to meet you guys out there in the future. Cheers!
What bike are you riding Chuckie? I tell you it’s a blast being out on the track with Huskys, CZ’s, Elsinore etc

There r some really fast guys out there but also a lot of big beer bellies just out to have a good time. And not sure how it is now but back when I was attending you would have Marty Tripes running the BBQ. Scott Burnworth is a regular

The Shop

Mr. Sandman
4/20/2018 9:45am
I've done a few races at CALVMX events in the three wheeler class. Frank runs a good program but I think the day is long and stretched out due to the number of different classes they run. Good times though!
chuckie108
4/20/2018 12:21pm
KennyT wrote:
What bike are you riding Chuckie? I tell you it’s a blast being out on the track with Huskys, CZ’s, Elsinore etc There r some really...
What bike are you riding Chuckie? I tell you it’s a blast being out on the track with Huskys, CZ’s, Elsinore etc

There r some really fast guys out there but also a lot of big beer bellies just out to have a good time. And not sure how it is now but back when I was attending you would have Marty Tripes running the BBQ. Scott Burnworth is a regular
I’m just looking to check out cool bikes, make new friends, have some fun, and pretend I’m Bob Hannah for a few hours. Sounds like I’m heading to the right place. ?

KennyT
Fantasy
479th
4/20/2018 12:24pm
KennyT wrote:
What bike are you riding Chuckie? I tell you it’s a blast being out on the track with Huskys, CZ’s, Elsinore etc There r some really...

chuckie108 wrote:
I’m just looking to check out cool bikes, make new friends, have some fun, and pretend I’m Bob Hannah for a few hours. Sounds like I’m...
I’m just looking to check out cool bikes, make new friends, have some fun, and pretend I’m Bob Hannah for a few hours. Sounds like I’m heading to the right place. ?

Yes you are heading to the right place. That’s a 78 right? I irode a 77 for awhile there and there should be plenty of guys in your class. That’s a great model to go vintage racing on. The older stuff can beat you pretty good
chuckie108
4/20/2018 5:18pm
Yes, ‘78. It was my uncles bike since ‘79. He gave it to me a couple of years ago and I restored it as tribute to him. Has his number on it and everything. I’ve ridden it a few times to shake it down, and it’s definately different. Damn good fun though! The brakes are scary!!! Hahaha

Post a reply to: Any Cal VMX patrons here?

The Latest