Antonio Cairoli wants to race at least three more years...and Yamaha dropped him at the end of 2009...

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2017 10:23 PM

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/antonio-cairoli-continued-success/#KUG1GDfYiyKSuk3Q.97

Cool interview that Anton from TWMX did with Cairoli over at MXdN...

He mentions in the interview his goal is to at least race until 2020, and if he's competitive for a title will try for even longer...

Also talks about Yamaha basically tell him to go ride for someone else after he won the MXGP title in 09...yikes...

|

10/5/2017 11:09 PM

ML512 wrote:

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/antonio-cairoli-continued-success/#KUG1GDfYiyKSuk3Q.97

Cool interview that Anton from TWMX did with Cairoli over at MXdN...

He mentions in the interview his goal is to at least race until 2020, and if he's competitive for a title will try for even longer...

Also talks about Yamaha basically tell him to go ride for someone else after he won the MXGP title in 09...yikes...

My understanding of it was, DeCarli wasn't renewing their deal with Yamaha after 09 (as until that point they were the MX2 effort) and at that time, Rinaldi was the 450 effort (the team Philippaerts won on, they were Monster backed, like black Yamaha's for a while). Claudio was signing his deal with KTM (so then DeCarli Racing would then transition to being the Factory KTM 450 effort- still is), long story short, Tony transitioned along with / as well as the team to Orange, rest is history.

|

10/5/2017 11:12 PM

Tony is a class act... smartest rider out there... roll on 2018!

|

10/6/2017 5:26 AM

It would be cool if he is able to race that long!

|

10/6/2017 5:29 AM

Very surprised he actually said the word "Yamaha".... normally he doesn't like to mention 'them'

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

10/6/2017 5:31 AM

ayearinmx wrote:

Very surprised he actually said the word "Yamaha".... normally he doesn't like to mention 'them'

"The bike that shall not be named"

|

10/6/2017 5:40 AM

What an amazing, inspirational dude he is. Of all the riders who've been in this sport since DeCoster, he is, IMHO, the closest thing to him. Relentless when need be, conciliatory when need be, flawless racecraft, and a true gentleman both before the race starts and after the race is over.

|

10/6/2017 5:42 AM

As long as he can stay healthy i think he'll be a top 3 title contender for at least another year. However i don't believe 2020 is in the card. But if anyone has a shot at it it's him.

|

I don't crash, I just run out of talent

10/6/2017 5:57 AM

Good read. Smooth business move by Yamaha. 3 more years.... hope he can, but father time hasn't lost a race yet.

|

10/6/2017 6:01 AM

Good stuff. He is the only one that can beat herlings straight up, its going to a dog fight between those 2 next year.

|

10/6/2017 7:08 AM

I don't think you could find more of a pure racer now days than what Tony is. Dude's a legend for sure. I hope he gets at least one more title to tie Evert's , but I'm hoping for two...so he can beat him.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/6/2017 7:11 AM

BOOYA

|

10/6/2017 7:12 AM

Silas444 wrote:

What an amazing, inspirational dude he is. Of all the riders who've been in this sport since DeCoster, he is, IMHO, the closest thing to him. Relentless when need be, conciliatory when need be, flawless racecraft, and a true gentleman both before the race starts and after the race is over.

Absolutely agree with what you said. I've become a big fan of his over the years. Stoked to see him go for three more!

|

10/6/2017 9:55 AM

i really like Cairoli aswell. Carries himself well and seems like a guy whos comfortable in life right now.

I also liked hearing the comment someone made where

"I rode both Cairolis and Herlings bike and the difference between the two is crazy. Cairoli is soft and very easy to ride and Herlings feels like its a rocket' But they both go the same speed sometimes and/or Cairoli wins. Pretty cool tidbits

|

10/6/2017 10:27 AM

Man that’s crazy. I figured we’d see one more year out of him. Good on him though if he still has the fight. Healthy the only one that can beat him consistently I think is Herlings. Shall see though. Will be fun to watch.

|

10/6/2017 10:45 AM

NJKawi913 wrote:

As long as he can stay healthy i think he'll be a top 3 title contender for at least another year. However i don't believe 2020 is in the card. But if anyone has a shot at it it's him.

Interested Why u only think he has 1 more year to be top 3? .. he just won the title again this year, and looked better than he has for years.. he is getting on but going by this year I wouldn't count the old dog out just yet

|

10/6/2017 10:59 AM

Stewart must've asked for raise after winning that SX title in 2009 laughing

|

10/6/2017 11:10 AM

Well it won't get any easier for him but I'm at least hoping to see 10 titles for him

|

10/6/2017 11:17 AM

Silas444 wrote:

What an amazing, inspirational dude he is. Of all the riders who've been in this sport since DeCoster, he is, IMHO, the closest thing to him. Relentless when need be, conciliatory when need be, flawless racecraft, and a true gentleman both before the race starts and after the race is over.

Couldn't have said it better myself, it'll be a sad day when he finally hangs it up!

|

10/6/2017 11:56 AM

AC should come to the USA and race the Suprecross Series now that he has 9 world titles.

|

10/6/2017 12:13 PM

^^ Think Cairoli's future agenda rather than SX would be to go for Title Number 10 to equal Everts and also an 11th to surpass him!

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

10/6/2017 1:13 PM

i used to really really dislike Tony, mainly because i was a YUGE RV fan, but the last 5 years or so i have really grown to like him. somehow i'm even starting to like that other sandbagging punk these days.

|

10/6/2017 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2017 1:50 PM

Massive Everts fan but what tc222 achieved this year was something special. It's only been Herlings that has kept him honest. Take Herlings out of the equation and compare his year to nagl, febvre, gajser....bossed it.

I think Herlings will come in very strong next year, he will want to prove a point. Consistency will be cairolis strongest weapon in the fight

|

10/7/2017 9:22 AM

peelout wrote:

i used to really really dislike Tony, mainly because i was a YUGE RV fan, but the last 5 years or so i have really grown to like him. somehow i'm even starting to like that other sandbagging punk these days.

that other sandbagger, excuse me? wassat

|

10/7/2017 9:36 AM

He is incredible. He can just pull out some mindboggling speed. He almost never goes balls out of he doesnt really need to.

I think his biggest "problem" will be to find motivation. Herlings,gajser,febvre etc are HUNGRY! Cairoli has 9titles. He has mentioned this year that he sometimes has a hard time finding motivation when training as hard as they do during the off season.

|

10/7/2017 11:41 AM

I really wish he'd race a year over here. I think the fans would really enjoy it and support him.

|

10/7/2017 11:59 AM

I respect the guy, but think next year will be tough and keeping herlings down will come back to haunt him
Pulling out of the last Moto of the year and his des nations performance are not good signs
My opinion though

|

10/7/2017 4:40 PM

ML512 wrote:

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/antonio-cairoli-continued-success/#KUG1GDfYiyKSuk3Q.97

Cool interview that Anton from TWMX did with Cairoli over at MXdN...

He mentions in the interview his goal is to at least race until 2020, and if he's competitive for a title will try for even longer...

Also talks about Yamaha basically tell him to go ride for someone else after he won the MXGP title in 09...yikes...

CEMX182 wrote:

My understanding of it was, DeCarli wasn't renewing their deal with Yamaha after 09 (as until that point they were the MX2 effort) and at that time, Rinaldi was the 450 effort (the team Philippaerts won on, they were Monster backed, like black Yamaha's for a while). Claudio was signing his deal with KTM (so then DeCarli Racing would then transition to being the Factory KTM 450 effort- still is), long story short, Tony transitioned along with / as well as the team to Orange, rest is history.

Don’t bring facts into a good Yamaha hate fest.

|

10/7/2017 6:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2017 7:02 PM

thrillbillie91 wrote:

I respect the guy, but think next year will be tough and keeping herlings down will come back to haunt him
Pulling out of the last Moto of the year and his des nations performance are not good signs
My opinion though

Hint: Herlings only went on his hot streak once AC222 started racing for the title with a 90+ points lead. People seem to forget that fact. Either way though Herlings is on a roll and will be damn fast, plus always pushing for the win. Unless he gets hurt it would be hard to bet against him.

|

10/7/2017 7:00 PM

CEMX182 wrote:

My understanding of it was, DeCarli wasn't renewing their deal with Yamaha after 09 (as until that point they were the MX2 effort) and at that time, Rinaldi was the 450 effort (the team Philippaerts won on, they were Monster backed, like black Yamaha's for a while). Claudio was signing his deal with KTM (so then DeCarli Racing would then transition to being the Factory KTM 450 effort- still is), long story short, Tony transitioned along with / as well as the team to Orange, rest is history.

Thats kind of Yamaha apologietic sugar coating though.

Yamaha already had an accomplished team of Rinaldi Monster Energy Yamaha. They didn't really want another team even if they had just won the title - DeCarli Yamaha. I am sure Rinaldi didn't want to share resources and they had the Monster money. Yamaha made a choice. It didn't work out all that well though.

DeCarli got full KTM factory backing at just the right time once KTM starting taking over the world.

|