Anti-theft in pickup.

motoman0
Fantasy
1153rd
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 11:01am
I went to the National Enduro this weekend and someone tried to steal my bike. I use a cable and a handcuff style lock system. The cable was run through my gas can, stand and frame then back to a loop in the truck bed. What do you guys use when you have to leave the bike in the bed of your truck.

|
Uncle Tony
2/5/2018 3:19pm
Unbelievable!! Thank God they didn't get it, at a national enduro no less
RCF
2/5/2018 3:40pm
Along with using locks in each rotor and cable and lock set up like you have I also use one of these put the Beeper by my bed motion detector under the bike has good range and is loud enough to wake anybody up

The Shop

motoman0
Fantasy
1153rd
2/5/2018 3:51pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Glock
Model 26
Laughing
Had my 19 with me. Hate to say I'm glad I didn't see it. I would still be in SC explaining.
TeamGreen
2/5/2018 3:56pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Glock
Model 26
Laughing
motoman0 wrote:
Had my 19 with me. Hate to say I'm glad I didn't see it. I would still be in SC explaining.
Yup
Have to agree.
At this point in my life, I'd yell at the thieves and then call the cops...if I saw someone messing w/ my stuff.
Taking another life is only a consideration when it's "Life Threatening" matters.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/5/2018 4:42pm
Best anti-theft ever.

b_kowalsk
2/5/2018 4:50pm
RCF wrote:
Along with using locks in each rotor and cable and lock set up like you have I also use one of these put the Beeper by...
Along with using locks in each rotor and cable and lock set up like you have I also use one of these put the Beeper by my bed motion detector under the bike has good range and is loud enough to wake anybody up

This is a good idea, especially if you are staying at a hotel or somewhere over night for the race. I think I will invest in this setup
crusher773
2/5/2018 5:22pm
Falcon wrote:
Best anti-theft ever. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/52/78/53/52785302c5c15ef3f52d2d3d6cc2c335--rottweiler-pictures-trucks.jpg[/img]
Best anti-theft ever.

I had one stolen with the dog tied to the truck. She wasn't as mean as that dude looks though. I used to have a switch on my tailgate that was wired into my alarm. It saved my bike at least twice I know for sure. When the gate would be put down it would set the while alarm off.
lando356
2/5/2018 6:40pm
RCF wrote:
Along with using locks in each rotor and cable and lock set up like you have I also use one of these put the Beeper by...

b_kowalsk wrote:
This is a good idea, especially if you are staying at a hotel or somewhere over night for the race. I think I will invest in...
This is a good idea, especially if you are staying at a hotel or somewhere over night for the race. I think I will invest in this setup
That is a good idea... Dog too! lol
mxbrian15
2/5/2018 7:19pm
RCF wrote:

And the best part is harbor freight makes this for like $10. Had one in my apartment when I first moved to a big city. They work great!
Kanewel433
2/6/2018 10:04am
Question about the wireless motion detector. The product description says "A wireless receiver chimes to alert when a person or vehicle comes within 400 ft. range"

Wouldn't this thing just be ringing like crazy at a event? The GNCC races I do have people EVERYWHERE and I wouldn't want the alarm chiming all day and night.
MELTON139
Fantasy
3627th
2/6/2018 10:21am
Kanewel433 wrote:
Question about the wireless motion detector. The product description says "A wireless receiver chimes to alert when a person or vehicle comes within 400 ft. range"...
Question about the wireless motion detector. The product description says "A wireless receiver chimes to alert when a person or vehicle comes within 400 ft. range"

Wouldn't this thing just be ringing like crazy at a event? The GNCC races I do have people EVERYWHERE and I wouldn't want the alarm chiming all day and night.
I believe if he puts it under his bike it will be aiming at the inside of his truck bed so unless something between the two move it won’t go off. Not positive but I believe that’s what he has going on?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/6/2018 11:18am
Falcon wrote:
Best anti-theft ever. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/52/78/53/52785302c5c15ef3f52d2d3d6cc2c335--rottweiler-pictures-trucks.jpg[/img]
Best anti-theft ever.

crusher773 wrote:
I had one stolen with the dog tied to the truck. She wasn't as mean as that dude looks though. I used to have a switch...
I had one stolen with the dog tied to the truck. She wasn't as mean as that dude looks though. I used to have a switch on my tailgate that was wired into my alarm. It saved my bike at least twice I know for sure. When the gate would be put down it would set the while alarm off.
Now that I think about it, a dog might not know where his territory is after you take him to the track. You'd have to train him that the EZ-Up and everything underneath it is yours, or something like that.
2/7/2018 9:23am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 9:23am
Falcon wrote:
Best anti-theft ever.

That pup looks like a sweetie!

As for anti-theft, they make a lot of economical GPS trackers. They wont prevent theft, but they’ll get your stuff back. I wonder if they work tho...

https://instagram.com/p/BYj4cG8jN8y/
RCF
2/7/2018 9:35am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 9:49am
Kanewel433 wrote:
Question about the wireless motion detector. The product description says "A wireless receiver chimes to alert when a person or vehicle comes within 400 ft. range"...

I place it under the bikes facing straight up if you're close enough to set it off you shouldn't be where you're at.
Just saw that Milton139 answered the question,He's right that's how I do it.

We race GNCC and only have ever had one instance when it went off by accident had are two bikes chained together alongside the trailer I opened the camper door and there was a skunk eating some garbage that was left from the day before I slowly close the door and shut it off for the night

you can also adjust the width of the sensor beam just by adding duct tape, if you leave the bikes in the bed of the truck overnight you shouldn't have any problems with false alarms the truck bed would prevent that.
Bolt-On
Fantasy
1219th
2/7/2018 10:50am
I run similar set up with the cable lock ran through everything, but also have a disc lock that I've owned for probably 12 years and it works pretty well. However, if I'm staying in a hotel at Sumter I always find a buddy at the track to leave my bike with, still locked up as well. I've been going to Sumter for a long time and have always done that because it's been a problem there for quite a number of years.

Little tidbit for anyone attending any races or going riding anywhere close to Columbia, SC: LOCK YOUR STUFF UP or leave it with a friend at the track and still lock it up. That area probably has some of the highest bike theft rates in the country.

It's a shame because there's great riding there, and the Sumter Enduro is a great event that's really well done even the years it's not a National Enduro round. However, most of the people stealing them are looking for a quick "smash and grab" deal, so even the simplest precautions can help deter theft.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/7/2018 11:00am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 11:01am
I was moving back home to SoCal once and had a ton of stuff on a trailer, including my YZ250. As fate would have it, my wife wanted to stay in a hotel instead of driving all the way to our new house, especially since my son was a baby at the time and we did not have any furniture in the new place... it would have been very late by the time we got in. Sooooo.....

I parked the moving van with the trailer in the open parking lot next to our janky hotel right on I-10 in Coachella Valley. I angled the truck so you couldn't see the trailer from the road, but right underneath a streetlight so you could definitely see all around the truck. The bike was locked and piled behind a bunch of equipment and furniture so someone would have had to unload the whole shebang, plus cut the lock or cable to get the bike. It's all about layers of security.

The bike was still there in the morning. I feel like I lucked out, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Post a reply to: Anti-theft in pickup.

The Latest