Another spoke with wallet post

LittleDragon
Fantasy
1882nd
6/22/2018 5:42pm
My brother bought this same bike and loves it. I think they look awesome and congrats
mx317
6/22/2018 5:46pm
Thanks guys, unfortunately looks like T-storms this weekend.
Flip109
6/22/2018 6:53pm
I’ve seen more spoken with wallet threads about 4 strokes than two strokes so.......
6/22/2018 7:06pm
RACERX69 wrote:
Hmmmm!! Yet another Vitard who bought a foopter and thinks "he spoke with his wallet"!! Not!!! Was expecting to see a new 2-stroke. Disappointing. One more...
Hmmmm!! Yet another Vitard who bought a foopter and thinks "he spoke with his wallet"!! Not!!! Was expecting to see a new 2-stroke. Disappointing.

One more time......only buying a new 2-stroke qualifies for " Speaking with your wallet"!
mx317 wrote:
Not if I don't want it to be you moran!
LaughingLaughingLaughing love this guy right here

The Shop

burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/22/2018 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2018 7:41pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Specifically, new 2 strokes. Buying a used bike does nothing to influence manufacturers. Awesome bike though, enjoy! I need to see one in person to try...
Specifically, new 2 strokes. Buying a used bike does nothing to influence manufacturers.

Awesome bike though, enjoy! I need to see one in person to try to figure out what is going on with those plastics.
People have been buying new 2-strokes for years after 2006, and there will never be another 2-stroke above 250cc in AMA Pro Racing (or above 125cc). Speaking with your wallet is just a term and doesn’t mean anything.
mingham97
6/22/2018 9:46pm
VET176 wrote:
No, in Vital-land "Spoke with my wallet" means supporting two strokes. As in buying a new one.
nO
usafwx
6/22/2018 10:20pm
rmoto003 wrote:
Adjusted for inflation, thats not that bad of a price compared to a bike from the 1990's. $1 in 1995 is about $1.65 today, so that...
Adjusted for inflation, thats not that bad of a price compared to a bike from the 1990's. $1 in 1995 is about $1.65 today, so that makes an $8000 bike today cost about $4800 in 1995. So honestly they arent getting a whole lot more expensive
Except the median income has decreased 8% since 1999 meanwhile things like rent and healthcare have gone up 6-23% basically the middle class makes less than they did before and wages remain stagnant while things like food, shelter, healthcare, higher education continue to rise. Even adjusting for inflation, the average middle class joe has less to spend on things like MX. Not to mention $700 helmets, $100 goggles, $600 boots, etc. etc. At this rate the sport will be only for those who can maintain a shit ton of debt, are wealthy enough or have some type of sponsorship. Just not an affordable hobby anymore and hard to reasonable justify the cost these days.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/23/2018 3:53am
rmoto003 wrote:
Adjusted for inflation, thats not that bad of a price compared to a bike from the 1990's. $1 in 1995 is about $1.65 today, so that...
Adjusted for inflation, thats not that bad of a price compared to a bike from the 1990's. $1 in 1995 is about $1.65 today, so that makes an $8000 bike today cost about $4800 in 1995. So honestly they arent getting a whole lot more expensive
usafwx wrote:
Except the median income has decreased 8% since 1999 meanwhile things like rent and healthcare have gone up 6-23% basically the middle class makes less than...
Except the median income has decreased 8% since 1999 meanwhile things like rent and healthcare have gone up 6-23% basically the middle class makes less than they did before and wages remain stagnant while things like food, shelter, healthcare, higher education continue to rise. Even adjusting for inflation, the average middle class joe has less to spend on things like MX. Not to mention $700 helmets, $100 goggles, $600 boots, etc. etc. At this rate the sport will be only for those who can maintain a shit ton of debt, are wealthy enough or have some type of sponsorship. Just not an affordable hobby anymore and hard to reasonable justify the cost these days.
Yep X2
6/23/2018 7:01am
rmoto003 wrote:
usafwx wrote:
Except the median income has decreased 8% since 1999 meanwhile things like rent and healthcare have gone up 6-23% basically the middle class makes less than...
I could have fun on a clapped out $1500 cr125 with 500 in gear.

Mx is only expensive if you make it that way. 99% of us are not pro and will not be going pro. 13 grand to ride practice day c class...um no.
usafwx
6/23/2018 8:54am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2018 8:56am
I could have fun on a clapped out $1500 cr125 with 500 in gear. Mx is only expensive if you make it that way. 99% of...

Mx is only expensive if you make it that way. 99% of us are not pro and will not be going pro. 13 grand to ride practice day c class...um no.
A clapped out CR125 will still require maintainence sooner or later probably sooner, and I don't know about you but I'm not putting a $100 helmet on my head or not wearing knee braces, so not sure where you get that $300 gear number. Then there's track fees, etc. etc. And the point remains. The industry and sport won't grow if consumers and the average joe who rides can't afford all that new gear, bikes, etc. that continue to keep it alive.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
6/23/2018 9:50am
I could have fun on a clapped out $1500 cr125 with 500 in gear. Mx is only expensive if you make it that way. 99% of...

usafwx wrote:
A clapped out CR125 will still require maintainence sooner or later probably sooner, and I don't know about you but I'm not putting a $100 helmet...
A clapped out CR125 will still require maintainence sooner or later probably sooner, and I don't know about you but I'm not putting a $100 helmet on my head or not wearing knee braces, so not sure where you get that $300 gear number. Then there's track fees, etc. etc. And the point remains. The industry and sport won't grow if consumers and the average joe who rides can't afford all that new gear, bikes, etc. that continue to keep it alive.
Good points by both of you—I agree that this sport can still be affordable, but it’s not “cheap”. I have ridden used bikes since the 1970s, and have never had a problem racing a couple to several year old bike. Heck, I bought an 04 CR250R in like 2011 for $1700 and raced it until 2014 with no problem, and sold it for more than I paid for it! Moved to a 2013 CRF450R bought used at the beginning of 2014, and paid much less than half the price of a new bike.

As for gear, you can get an entire set for around $300-400, because not everyone needs knee braces, and you can get very good helmets on clearance around the $100-$150 range.

The point is, a person can get into the sport for $2500-$3000 with no problem, and be set for years.
steveyd
6/23/2018 2:18pm

usafwx wrote:
A clapped out CR125 will still require maintainence sooner or later probably sooner, and I don't know about you but I'm not putting a $100 helmet...
Graybeard wrote:
Good points by both of you—I agree that this sport can still be affordable, but it’s not “cheap”. I have ridden used bikes since the 1970s...
Good points by both of you—I agree that this sport can still be affordable, but it’s not “cheap”. I have ridden used bikes since the 1970s, and have never had a problem racing a couple to several year old bike. Heck, I bought an 04 CR250R in like 2011 for $1700 and raced it until 2014 with no problem, and sold it for more than I paid for it! Moved to a 2013 CRF450R bought used at the beginning of 2014, and paid much less than half the price of a new bike.

As for gear, you can get an entire set for around $300-400, because not everyone needs knee braces, and you can get very good helmets on clearance around the $100-$150 range.

The point is, a person can get into the sport for $2500-$3000 with no problem, and be set for years.
Everybody does need knee braces.

If you aren't wearing them now, there's a high probability of absolutely needing them in the future.

Far better to wear them to protect intact ligaments than, like a lot of us, to wear them to compensate for previous injuries. I'd no sooner ride without braces than ride without a helmet.

Aside from that, agree. The sport can be just as fun with a five or six year old bike in good condition as it can be with the latest limited edition release, and 90 percent of riders won't go faster just because they wrote the biggest check of anyone at their practice track.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
6/23/2018 3:17pm
mx317 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/22/269715/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I found this on Cycle Trader with 2.5 hours on it and bought it. It even came with a few extra parts, but I had...

I found this on Cycle Trader with 2.5 hours on it and bought it. It even came with a few extra parts, but I had to drive nine hours one way to get it. Saved quite a bit of money on what is essentially a new bike. But like always as soon as I get a new bike it starts raining. My backgrounds with good old number 317 should be in today, so I guess I can work in the shop and watch it rain.
What size is this one? I’m guessing 450? Tough looking!
mx317
6/23/2018 4:02pm
burn1986 wrote:
What size is this one? I’m guessing 450? Tough looking!
450, thanks! My number backgrounds came in yesterday, but haven't put them on yet. I'm not racing this weekend so I will just keep the other guys number on there while I get it dialed in tomorrow. I wish I would have headed to Muddy Creek and watched the national and raced the Mega Series race tomorrow, but the chance of T-storms was too much. Of course I'm sure it will be perfect because I didn't go, I didn't want to chance a five hour + drive.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
6/24/2018 4:24am
mx317 wrote:
450, thanks! My number backgrounds came in yesterday, but haven't put them on yet. I'm not racing this weekend so I will just keep the other...
450, thanks! My number backgrounds came in yesterday, but haven't put them on yet. I'm not racing this weekend so I will just keep the other guys number on there while I get it dialed in tomorrow. I wish I would have headed to Muddy Creek and watched the national and raced the Mega Series race tomorrow, but the chance of T-storms was too much. Of course I'm sure it will be perfect because I didn't go, I didn't want to chance a five hour + drive.
Ha, it was perfect it was the best I have ever seen muddy creek, not a lot of ruts like normal, dirt didn't look baked like normal, not muddy either, weather was great. Today on the other hand who knows, I live an hour away and it already started with a light rain here.
8tensolutions
6/24/2018 7:06am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2018 7:06am

usafwx wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Good points by both of you—I agree that this sport can still be affordable, but it’s not “cheap”. I have ridden used bikes since the 1970s...

Mountain biking is growing like wildfire worldwide, and it costs as much as moto if you're buying high end stuff. Maintenance is clearly cheaper, but I am not sure the average consumer considers that.

Plenty of hobbies are really expensive and moto has never been "cheap". I don't think it's the cost, I think it has more to do with places to ride, parent understanding, and decline in interest due to kids doing less outside etc. I think about my daughter who now races mountain bikes and is doing great. She would never consider it if it wasn't for me riding. Same goes for moto.
usafwx
6/24/2018 8:32am
Mountain biking is growing like wildfire worldwide, and it costs as much as moto if you're buying high end stuff. Maintenance is clearly cheaper, but I...
Mountain biking is growing like wildfire worldwide, and it costs as much as moto if you're buying high end stuff. Maintenance is clearly cheaper, but I am not sure the average consumer considers that.

Plenty of hobbies are really expensive and moto has never been "cheap". I don't think it's the cost, I think it has more to do with places to ride, parent understanding, and decline in interest due to kids doing less outside etc. I think about my daughter who now races mountain bikes and is doing great. She would never consider it if it wasn't for me riding. Same goes for moto.
When I sold my bike I bought a MTB thinking it would give me a hobby to fill the void. Bought a dope Remedy 7, all the gear, etc. Took it on first ride and hated it. Was exhausting (and I run 6 miles every other day) and constantly felt like I was gonna fall into rocks, cactus, etc. I wanted to love it but couldn't, sold bike to my buddy. Still wish or wonder if its one of those things that takes time. Jealous of the MTB crew.
8tensolutions
6/24/2018 8:35am
usafwx wrote:
When I sold my bike I bought a MTB thinking it would give me a hobby to fill the void. Bought a dope Remedy 7, all...
When I sold my bike I bought a MTB thinking it would give me a hobby to fill the void. Bought a dope Remedy 7, all the gear, etc. Took it on first ride and hated it. Was exhausting (and I run 6 miles every other day) and constantly felt like I was gonna fall into rocks, cactus, etc. I wanted to love it but couldn't, sold bike to my buddy. Still wish or wonder if its one of those things that takes time. Jealous of the MTB crew.
It does take time. The fitness is entirely different than running. I compete at an expert level in one the most competitive states in the country and cannot run worth a damn. The remedy is also a very big bike. Shorter travel bikes that climb well are much better for 90% of riders and trails.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
6/24/2018 8:37am
Where's the Two Stroke? That's a Tractor. Very nice one, but a tractor.
Really telling those manufactures what you want I see. More tractors.

What has happened to VitalMX?
usafwx
6/24/2018 9:50am
It does take time. The fitness is entirely different than running. I compete at an expert level in one the most competitive states in the country...
It does take time. The fitness is entirely different than running. I compete at an expert level in one the most competitive states in the country and cannot run worth a damn. The remedy is also a very big bike. Shorter travel bikes that climb well are much better for 90% of riders and trails.
Ya I guess I was looking for that same "high" you get from MX and so many of my friends actually prefer MTB over MX and thought for sure I would too. Maybe it was the bike. I knew I wanted a Trek but wondering if I should have gone with a 29'' Fuel instead of the Remedy. Might have been the trail too. It did feel great in the parking lot when I test rode it. lol.
mx317
6/24/2018 6:01pm
Tiki wrote:
Where's the Two Stroke? That's a Tractor. Very nice one, but a tractor. Really telling those manufactures what you want I see. More tractors. What has...
Where's the Two Stroke? That's a Tractor. Very nice one, but a tractor.
Really telling those manufactures what you want I see. More tractors.

What has happened to VitalMX?
It's my wallet and my thread, so yes I spoke about what I wanted.

Post a reply to: Another spoke with wallet post

The Latest