Another reason I like Cooper Webb

Related:
Create New Tag

4/14/2021 5:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2021 5:21 PM

...no excuses and owns it.


“It was a bit of a rough day for us," said Webb in a team statement. "In the Main Event, I got a great start and put myself where I needed to be but I didn’t execute. I finally turned it around, started riding well and hitting my marks a bit and then I caught Barcia and was trying to make a pass. We had some close calls and then over the wall, I hit his back tire and fell. It’s a bummer but we’ll come back for Atlanta 3 and work with the team and myself to hopefully be in the winner’s circle.”

It's nice to hear a rider not making excuses for a loss.

|

4/14/2021 5:26 PM

is your name herb?

|

4/14/2021 5:35 PM

Common demeanor among champions.

|

4/14/2021 5:43 PM

Funny how fast people’s feelings on riders change when another rider gets in their way. Not directed at OP, just seems like the tone around here went from hating cooper because he was too cocky and mean and hurt feelings, to “let cooper by!”

|

4/14/2021 5:44 PM

Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after sub par performances. And I’m by no means a Webb fan, but you’ve got to admire the grit, determination, and way he races.

|

4/14/2021 5:48 PM

ButteryWaffles wrote:

Funny how fast people’s feelings on riders change when another rider gets in their way. Not directed at OP, just seems like ...more

Coopergate?

|

4/14/2021 5:50 PM

When you're Rogers Golden Boy there are some big shoes to fill.

|

4/14/2021 6:04 PM

So, he didn’t question why Barcia was allowed to race? 🤔

|

4/14/2021 8:39 PM

That's golden rod to you

|

4/15/2021 4:14 AM

Coopers a freaking G dude. I seriously don’t understand the hate he gets.

|

4/15/2021 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2021 6:59 AM

cwel11 wrote:

Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after ...more

I'm not a fan of excuse making either, but the way Ken and other riders "make excuses" is actually an optimistic way to view the situation from a psychological standpoint based on research. If someone were to internalize their poor performance (e.g., "I'm not as fast as I once was. I can't hold the pace of these guys." etc.), it could easily start to snowball and lead to other poor performances. By blaming this or that, it is actually a form of depersonalization.

The advantage Cooper (and RC if you've heard his podium speeches when he lost) accepts ownership and radical responsibility which allows room for improvement. The first step towards tackling any challenge
is to be able to admit to yourself you could be better.

I totally get what the OP and cwell11 are getting at. I get tired of hearing excuses.

|

Warning: I support propane and propane accessories, fossil burning two-cycle engines, U.S. beef industry and watching the best athletes in the world go to battle... Yup...

4/15/2021 7:38 AM

Cooper is honestly one of very few riders I don't like. To me, he has a bully-style personality that I'm not very stoked on. And that's coming from someone who prefers "tougher" riders on the track and even riders being cooky sometimes.
With that being said I love the drama of a tight championship no matter who's in the running.

|

4/15/2021 7:54 AM

Mike_Frisk wrote:

Cooper is honestly one of very few riders I don't like. To me, he has a bully-style personality that I'm not very stoked on. ...more

How is he a bully?

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

4/15/2021 7:59 AM

So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then I ran into the back of Barcia? what’s the difference between an excuse and the reason for not winning?

|

4/15/2021 8:48 AM

An excuse implies others or circumstances were to blame for ones failure. A reason is a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome.

|

4/15/2021 8:56 AM

I like Webb because of his hatcraft. The way he wears his hat. That is so cool, so rad... so hip.

|

4/15/2021 8:58 AM

Nairb#70 wrote:

When you're Rogers Golden Boy there are some big shoes to fill.

Roger... I thought his name was Ian.

|

4/15/2021 9:35 AM

Forty wrote:

An excuse implies others or circumstances were to blame for ones failure. A reason is a rational breakdown of events that ...more

Yeah, but as you know, others and/or circumstances blamed for failure can also be a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome. They are not mutually exclusive. i.e., When El Honbre says, "I failed to qualify out of the heat race because A-Ray landed on me." Is that an excuse or a reason?ermm

|

4/15/2021 9:49 AM

cwel11 wrote:

Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after ...more

Hank_Thrill wrote:

I'm not a fan of excuse making either, but the way Ken and other riders "make excuses" is actually an optimistic way to view ...more

I do agree with you on this point, these guys have to keep up with the mental game. However you’ve got to own up to the fact you didn’t have “it” that day at some point also.

|

4/15/2021 9:51 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then ...more

He could absolutely say that and it would be credible. When you say my “boot buckle came loose, and it distracted me from riding like I should” that’s a different ballgame.

|

4/15/2021 10:00 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then ...more

“I didn’t ride well enough to win today. The guys who beat me were better than me. I’m gonna put in a little more work this week and hopefully I can take the win next round”

“I got ran wide in a turn and the guy who did it is a big meany head. I would have won if I had turned my clickers a few. If my belly didn’t hurt i would have done better.”

There’s a difference between how strong someone is mentally. It can become obvious when listening to them talk. Carmichael, McGrath, Dungey, Villopoto, Webb and Tomac seem to all possess that mental toughness. When things aren’t going great they don’t blame others.

|

4/15/2021 10:06 AM

deadlo wrote:

Coopers a freaking G dude. I seriously don’t understand the hate he gets.

Todays society of "sensitivos" just can't handle people like Coop. He's a scrapper that cuts thru the BS and gives "0" fuqs about what he does to achieve the title goal. What people see as arrogance, is actually steeled confidence and drive.

|

I was raised just off HWY 126 in Valencia during the 80's.

4/15/2021 10:13 AM

Forty wrote:

An excuse implies others or circumstances were to blame for ones failure. A reason is a rational breakdown of events that ...more

Motoxdoc wrote:

Yeah, but as you know, others and/or circumstances blamed for failure can also be a rational breakdown of events that caused ...more

That’s an excuse. But the reason he didn’t transfer is because he wasted time chewing on a ray for awhile. That’s on JA.

|

4/15/2021 10:25 AM

Suicidal_Tendencies wrote:

...no excuses and owns it.


“It was a bit of a rough day for us," said Webb in a team statement. "In the Main Event, I got a ...more

Yeah it is nice, but I like to hear there own opinion instead of the answer we already know. Everyone rags on Justin Cooper and Roczen cause they are "whining". No they are just being honest and giving you a real take on what they actually think instead of being a robot.

|