Another reason I like Cooper Webb

...no excuses and owns it.

“It was a bit of a rough day for us," said Webb in a team statement. "In the Main Event, I got a great start and put myself where I needed to be but I didn’t execute. I finally turned it around, started riding well and hitting my marks a bit and then I caught Barcia and was trying to make a pass. We had some close calls and then over the wall, I hit his back tire and fell. It’s a bummer but we’ll come back for Atlanta 3 and work with the team and myself to hopefully be in the winner’s circle.”

It's nice to hear a rider not making excuses for a loss.
|
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
4/14/2021 5:26pm
is your name herb?
Forty
4/14/2021 5:35pm
Common demeanor among champions.
4/14/2021 5:43pm
Funny how fast people’s feelings on riders change when another rider gets in their way. Not directed at OP, just seems like the tone around here went from hating cooper because he was too cocky and mean and hurt feelings, to “let cooper by!”
cwel11
4/14/2021 5:44pm
Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after sub par performances. And I’m by no means a Webb fan, but you’ve got to admire the grit, determination, and way he races.

The Shop

JHForman
4/14/2021 5:48pm
Funny how fast people’s feelings on riders change when another rider gets in their way. Not directed at OP, just seems like the tone around here...
Funny how fast people’s feelings on riders change when another rider gets in their way. Not directed at OP, just seems like the tone around here went from hating cooper because he was too cocky and mean and hurt feelings, to “let cooper by!”
Coopergate?
Nairb#70
4/14/2021 5:50pm
When you're Rogers Golden Boy there are some big shoes to fill.
olds cool
4/14/2021 6:04pm
So, he didn’t question why Barcia was allowed to race? 🤔
deadlo
4/15/2021 4:14am
Coopers a freaking G dude. I seriously don’t understand the hate he gets.
Hank_Thrill
4/15/2021 6:57am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2021 6:59am
cwel11 wrote:
Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after sub par...
Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after sub par performances. And I’m by no means a Webb fan, but you’ve got to admire the grit, determination, and way he races.
I'm not a fan of excuse making either, but the way Ken and other riders "make excuses" is actually an optimistic way to view the situation from a psychological standpoint based on research. If someone were to internalize their poor performance (e.g., "I'm not as fast as I once was. I can't hold the pace of these guys." etc.), it could easily start to snowball and lead to other poor performances. By blaming this or that, it is actually a form of depersonalization.

The advantage Cooper (and RC if you've heard his podium speeches when he lost) accepts ownership and radical responsibility which allows room for improvement. The first step towards tackling any challenge
is to be able to admit to yourself you could be better.

I totally get what the OP and cwell11 are getting at. I get tired of hearing excuses.
4/15/2021 7:38am
Cooper is honestly one of very few riders I don't like. To me, he has a bully-style personality that I'm not very stoked on. And that's coming from someone who prefers "tougher" riders on the track and even riders being cooky sometimes.
With that being said I love the drama of a tight championship no matter who's in the running.
BobPA
4/15/2021 7:54am
Mike_Frisk wrote:
Cooper is honestly one of very few riders I don't like. To me, he has a bully-style personality that I'm not very stoked on. And that's...
Cooper is honestly one of very few riders I don't like. To me, he has a bully-style personality that I'm not very stoked on. And that's coming from someone who prefers "tougher" riders on the track and even riders being cooky sometimes.
With that being said I love the drama of a tight championship no matter who's in the running.
How is he a bully?
Motoxdoc
4/15/2021 7:59am
So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then I ran into the back of Barcia? what’s the difference between an excuse and the reason for not winning?
Forty
4/15/2021 8:48am
An excuse implies others or circumstances were to blame for ones failure. A reason is a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome.
MyBobbym
4/15/2021 8:56am
I like Webb because of his hatcraft. The way he wears his hat. That is so cool, so rad... so hip.
MyBobbym
4/15/2021 8:58am
Nairb#70 wrote:
When you're Rogers Golden Boy there are some big shoes to fill.
Roger... I thought his name was Ian.
Motoxdoc
4/15/2021 9:35am
Forty wrote:
An excuse implies others or circumstances were to blame for ones failure. A reason is a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome.
Yeah, but as you know, others and/or circumstances blamed for failure can also be a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome. They are not mutually exclusive. i.e., When El Honbre says, "I failed to qualify out of the heat race because A-Ray landed on me." Is that an excuse or a reason?Dry
cwel11
4/15/2021 9:49am
cwel11 wrote:
Definitely agree. As much as I try so hard to like Ken, I absolutely cannot stand when he starts throwing out BS excuses after sub par...
I'm not a fan of excuse making either, but the way Ken and other riders "make excuses" is actually an optimistic way to view the situation...
I'm not a fan of excuse making either, but the way Ken and other riders "make excuses" is actually an optimistic way to view the situation from a psychological standpoint based on research. If someone were to internalize their poor performance (e.g., "I'm not as fast as I once was. I can't hold the pace of these guys." etc.), it could easily start to snowball and lead to other poor performances. By blaming this or that, it is actually a form of depersonalization.

The advantage Cooper (and RC if you've heard his podium speeches when he lost) accepts ownership and radical responsibility which allows room for improvement. The first step towards tackling any challenge
is to be able to admit to yourself you could be better.

I totally get what the OP and cwell11 are getting at. I get tired of hearing excuses.
I do agree with you on this point, these guys have to keep up with the mental game. However you’ve got to own up to the fact you didn’t have “it” that day at some point also.
cwel11
4/15/2021 9:51am
Motoxdoc wrote:
So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then I...
So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then I ran into the back of Barcia? what’s the difference between an excuse and the reason for not winning?
He could absolutely say that and it would be credible. When you say my “boot buckle came loose, and it distracted me from riding like I should” that’s a different ballgame.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
4/15/2021 10:00am
Motoxdoc wrote:
So if you asked Cooper, what’s your excuse for not winning, you don’t think he would say, I got a bad start, rode stiff, then I...
“I didn’t ride well enough to win today. The guys who beat me were better than me. I’m gonna put in a little more work this week and hopefully I can take the win next round”

“I got ran wide in a turn and the guy who did it is a big meany head. I would have won if I had turned my clickers a few. If my belly didn’t hurt i would have done better.”

There’s a difference between how strong someone is mentally. It can become obvious when listening to them talk. Carmichael, McGrath, Dungey, Villopoto, Webb and Tomac seem to all possess that mental toughness. When things aren’t going great they don’t blame others.
ShawdowGlen
4/15/2021 10:06am
deadlo wrote:
Coopers a freaking G dude. I seriously don’t understand the hate he gets.
Todays society of "sensitivos" just can't handle people like Coop. He's a scrapper that cuts thru the BS and gives "0" fuqs about what he does to achieve the title goal. What people see as arrogance, is actually steeled confidence and drive.

Forty
4/15/2021 10:13am
Forty wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Yeah, but as you know, others and/or circumstances blamed for failure can also be a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome. They are not...
Yeah, but as you know, others and/or circumstances blamed for failure can also be a rational breakdown of events that caused an outcome. They are not mutually exclusive. i.e., When El Honbre says, "I failed to qualify out of the heat race because A-Ray landed on me." Is that an excuse or a reason?Dry
That’s an excuse. But the reason he didn’t transfer is because he wasted time chewing on a ray for awhile. That’s on JA.
4/15/2021 10:25am
...no excuses and owns it. “It was a bit of a rough day for us," said Webb in a team statement. "In the Main Event, I...
...no excuses and owns it.

“It was a bit of a rough day for us," said Webb in a team statement. "In the Main Event, I got a great start and put myself where I needed to be but I didn’t execute. I finally turned it around, started riding well and hitting my marks a bit and then I caught Barcia and was trying to make a pass. We had some close calls and then over the wall, I hit his back tire and fell. It’s a bummer but we’ll come back for Atlanta 3 and work with the team and myself to hopefully be in the winner’s circle.”

It's nice to hear a rider not making excuses for a loss.
Yeah it is nice, but I like to hear there own opinion instead of the answer we already know. Everyone rags on Justin Cooper and Roczen cause they are "whining". No they are just being honest and giving you a real take on what they actually think instead of being a robot.

Post a reply to: Another reason I like Cooper Webb

The Latest